Author Topic: Jari Litmanen  (Read 87593 times)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Jari Litmanen
« Reply #440 on: November 26, 2018, 11:25:47 pm »
Sturridge V Sevilla is the quintessential example of the 'lost goal' genre, up there with Crespo's second in Istanbul. Still upsets me to this day that Daniel's came to nothing. 

I think that will always be my favourite non Liverpool goal ever. Just perfection. And we beat the guys who did that

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #441 on: November 26, 2018, 11:38:00 pm »
His goal at Leverkusen is one of our great ‘lost’ goals. Should be talked about as a brilliant individual goal that took us to the semis of the European Cup and instead I’m not even sure I’ve seen it since the night of the game!
One of life's great mysteries on why Houllier took off Hamann when we were leading the tie with about 10 minutes to go.

We threw that tie away on that sole decision, Would have been playing United in the semi's and we were far better than them in the league that season and did the league double over them as well.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 11:41:27 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #442 on: November 26, 2018, 11:42:33 pm »
4-4 vs Arsenal 2009 and 3-3 vs Palace 2014 for me for heartbreaking outcomes, yet at the same time awe-inspiring displays of heart and courage. Band of Brothers-like stuff.

Also the 4-4 CL quarter final against Chelsea in 09, talk about never giving up.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 11:45:31 pm by Bjornar »

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: November 27, 2018, 12:01:05 am »
I think that will always be my favourite non Liverpool goal ever. Just perfection. And we beat the guys who did that

Is it the best ever assist in a major final? I’m struggling to think of a better one.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: November 27, 2018, 03:00:04 pm »
4-4 vs Arsenal 2009 and 3-3 vs Palace 2014 for me for heartbreaking outcomes, yet at the same time awe-inspiring displays of heart and courage. Band of Brothers-like stuff.

Also the 4-4 CL quarter final against Chelsea in 09, talk about never giving up.

We completely bossed Arsenal in that 4-4 game. It was so 1-sided that they probably only had 4 shots in the whole game.  Unbelievable result.

I have more vivid memories of Chelsea beating us 3-1 at Anfield than I do of the 4-4 which was a disappointing result given how well we started.  Hiddink did to us what we did to many teams that season and completely shut us down on the left flank in particular.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #445 on: November 27, 2018, 10:36:13 pm »
We completely bossed Arsenal in that 4-4 game. It was so 1-sided that they probably only had 4 shots in the whole game. 

Haven´t checked, but my guess is that´s true, and if so Arshavin had all four of those shots.

The 4-4 games against Arsenal and Chelsea happened in the same week. In the same period, we scored 4 goals or more in six out of eight games (all important crunch games, not ones where we were coasting). Seems quite strange now, seeing as Rafa is seen by most as quite a  conservative manager in retrospect.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: November 27, 2018, 11:25:06 pm »
The 4-4 games against Arsenal and Chelsea happened in the same week.

I was at both those games and had no recollection they were the same week, no idea how I wasn't broken by it!

Fabianski and Arshavin absolutely fucked us in the Arsenal game. While we were fucked before the Chelsea one kicked off, by Riise's right foot not appearing to work

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #447 on: November 28, 2018, 04:05:23 pm »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #448 on: November 29, 2018, 02:37:53 am »
One of life's great mysteries on why Houllier took off Hamann when we were leading the tie with about 10 minutes to go.

We threw that tie away on that sole decision, Would have been playing United in the semi's and we were far better than them in the league that season and did the league double over them as well.
That game had me gutted. Did Leverkusen go to the final at year? The legendary Zidane volley? That would have been amazing..

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #449 on: November 29, 2018, 08:48:27 am »
That game had me gutted. Did Leverkusen go to the final at year? The legendary Zidane volley? That would have been amazing..

Yeah, they knocked United out on Away goals in the semis. Imagine a Champions League semi against United! We’d beaten them 5 times in a row at that point as well (obviously you could argue that would begin to even itself out).

Final was at Hampden.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: November 29, 2018, 12:06:57 pm »
'Lost' for different reasons than the above goals but I've always thought Gerrard's first in the 06 FA Cup Final seems to be forgotten. The way he shapes his body to hit it at an awkward height, the positioning, the power. It's rare to see any shot hit with such ferocity, let alone with such accuracy, let alone in a cup final to equalise.

Obviously it got eclipsed by one of the very best goals in English football history, but still was a beautiful goal.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #451 on: November 29, 2018, 01:09:19 pm »
'Lost' for different reasons than the above goals but I've always thought Gerrard's first in the 06 FA Cup Final seems to be forgotten. The way he shapes his body to hit it at an awkward height, the positioning, the power. It's rare to see any shot hit with such ferocity, let alone with such accuracy, let alone in a cup final to equalise.

Obviously it got eclipsed by one of the very best goals in English football history, but still was a beautiful goal.

His assist for Cisse wasn’t half bad either!

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: November 30, 2018, 03:58:02 pm »
His assist for Cisse wasn’t half bad either!

Just watched it back, you're right. Completely forgot about it. It's fucking unbelievable. If Alonso or Pirlo had played that ball people would still be talking about it now. With Gerrard, being able to pull off things like that were just a small part of his game! God I miss him.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #453 on: November 30, 2018, 04:10:07 pm »
Just watched it back, you're right. Completely forgot about it. It's fucking unbelievable. If Alonso or Pirlo had played that ball people would still be talking about it now. With Gerrard, being able to pull off things like that were just a small part of his game! God I miss him.

Quite similar to the one he created for Owen against Newcastle which often gets brought up. That was more in a plate I guess.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: November 30, 2018, 06:03:38 pm »
Quite similar to the one he created for Owen against Newcastle which often gets brought up. That was more in a plate I guess.

Great shout, that was a beauty as well! Almost as important too iirc - I think that was the goal that secured our place in the 04/05 Champions League.

I love how the Litmanen thread has descended into how awesome Gerrard was. It's like Godwin's Law for Liverpool fans - "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of talking about how fucking brilliant Gerrard was approaches 1".

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #455 on: November 30, 2018, 06:18:34 pm »
Great shout, that was a beauty as well! Almost as important too iirc - I think that was the goal that secured our place in the 04/05 Champions League.

I love how the Litmanen thread has descended into how awesome Gerrard was. It's like Godwin's Law for Liverpool fans - "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of talking about how fucking brilliant Gerrard was approaches 1".

“Wake up Godwin! We’ve scored”

Bonus point for anyone who gets that reference.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: November 30, 2018, 11:07:49 pm »

Nah, we had already qualified. It was getting billed as the game to decide who would qualify for weeks beforehand but then we won 3 on the bounce, including away at Old Trafford, and Newcastle drew with Southampton in the mid-week to put it beyond reach.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: November 30, 2018, 11:39:17 pm »
Would be an amazing sub in this side with all the movement ahead of him

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: December 1, 2018, 10:41:44 am »
Nah, we had already qualified. It was getting billed as the game to decide who would qualify for weeks beforehand but then we won 3 on the bounce, including away at Old Trafford, and Newcastle drew with Southampton in the mid-week to put it beyond reach.

Your memory is better than Gerrard's defence splitting passes!

“Wake up Godwin! We’ve scored”

Bonus point for anyone who gets that reference.

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #459 on: October 2, 2019, 12:46:27 pm »
Sad days to be a Finn and see our greatest legend being one of those "not paid by anyone, my opinions are my own" football ambassadors that just happen to visit qatar, and whitewash that shit.

https://sc.qa/en/news/jari-litmanen-learns-more-about-qatar-2022

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #460 on: October 2, 2019, 03:54:29 pm »
Sad days to be a Finn and see our greatest legend being one of those "not paid by anyone, my opinions are my own" football ambassadors that just happen to visit qatar, and whitewash that shit.

That's very disappointing. Fucking shill.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: October 2, 2019, 05:04:14 pm »

Worth noting the Barcelona and Xavi link, yet again. Dodgy as fuck the pair of them. Shame to see Jari playing the useful idiot role.

Offline eddiedingle

• Kopite
« Reply #462 on: October 3, 2019, 02:17:04 am »
Still got a great head of hair. Lucky bastard.

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #463 on: October 4, 2019, 09:57:14 pm »
After he was called upon by basicly everyone, journalists, fans, pundits, national team players past and present, he has even defended his actions by bringing up his right of speech. Of defending Qatar.

Question remains, is he just that daft, or he just doesn't care and is trolling everyone.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #464 on: May 14, 2020, 01:37:00 pm »
Jari was some player, he never got enough playing time when he was at Liverpool. He was a wonderful player to watch, he had flair, grace, could see things which other players couldn't. I also remembered when he arrived here, he was so happy to be at Liverpool. It was one of the biggest mysteries as to why Gerard Houllier didn't pick him more often. I love the goal he scored against Tottenham, it hit the inside of the bar and went to the other side. Fantastic finish. I have begged James Pearce for an article on him, fingers crossed.

https://youtu.be/oPfQ_41dr5Y
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #465 on: May 14, 2020, 01:40:53 pm »
Jari was some player, he never got enough playing time when he was at Liverpool. He was a wonderful player to watch, he had flair, grace, could see things which other players couldn't. I also remembered when he arrived here, he was so happy to be at Liverpool. It was one of the biggest mysteries as to why Gerard Houllier didn't pick him more often. I love the goal he scored against Tottenham, it hit the inside of the bar and went to the other side. Fantastic finish. I have begged James Pearce for an article on him, fingers crossed.

This is levelled at Houllier a lot but Litmanen featured consistently from when he signed to mid March when he picked up an injury that ruled him out for the rest of the season. He was maybe under used a bit in 01/02 but having had that time off injured it was inevitable he would fall behind the Owen/Heskey pecking order a bit although he did still score some important goals that season around Christmas and into the run in (Fulham away, and obviously Leverkusen).

He was so good to watch though. I remember him pulling the strings in that 5-0 hammering of Palace and he was so in tune with the likes of Fowler and Smicer. Villa away was another when he set up Gerrard and Murphy.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #466 on: May 14, 2020, 01:49:21 pm »
Love Ged...but he was not the best at making choices with his attacking players. Pretty grim that we ended up with Owen, Heskey, Diouf and Baros when we’d had Fowler, Litmanen and Anelka shortly before.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #467 on: May 14, 2020, 01:57:19 pm »
Love Ged...but he was not the best at making choices with his attacking players. Pretty grim that we ended up with Owen, Heskey, Diouf and Baros when we’d had Fowler, Litmanen and Anelka shortly before.

On paper that doesn’t look great! And Diouf over Anelka is the obvious howler.

Jari left for Ajax in 2002 and only made 20 League appearances in 2 seasons, scoring 5 goals (according to Wiki). It’s not like we sold him in his prime, or like selling Beardsley to Everton. The ideal scenario would have been signing him from Ajax, rather than Barca and having him for longer, earlier in his career but sadly wasn’t to be.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:02:55 pm by BIG DICK NICK »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: May 14, 2020, 02:02:09 pm »
The biggest mistake was not signing Anelka.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #469 on: May 14, 2020, 02:05:02 pm »
Crikey, if we’d had Owen, Fowler, Heskey and Litmanen in 97 we’d have been unstoppable. Although still all decent in 2000, arguably 3 of them were past their best. Various skill sets between them, I always would have liked to have seen a little bit more of Litmanen with Owen.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: May 14, 2020, 02:39:20 pm »
Peak Fowler and Jari would have been too much filth
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #471 on: May 14, 2020, 10:30:17 pm »
Peak Fowler and Jari would have been too much filth
Absolutely disgusting.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: May 14, 2020, 10:49:05 pm »
The biggest mistake was not signing Anelka.

Will never make sense that,was fuming at the time & it still pisses me off.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #473 on: May 20, 2020, 09:40:44 am »

Will never make sense that,was fuming at the time & it still pisses me off.
Same.

I guess Phil Thompson and Houllier are not very forgiving people and doesn’t do people management very well.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: May 20, 2020, 09:43:27 am »
Geds people management is pretty highly rated is it not? He just has a tactical style that didn’t really get the best out of that sort of player.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #475 on: October 23, 2020, 10:27:39 am »
Good article by James Pearce on The Athletic about Jari - nothing beyond what we already know of the "what if....?" but still nice to see him given some love. What if?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: March 17, 2024, 01:46:25 pm »