Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399691 times)

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #7720 on: March 7, 2019, 05:38:56 pm »
Bring it on, I prefer a straight fight
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #7721 on: March 7, 2019, 06:08:24 pm »
Bring it on, I prefer a straight fight

Well I like all this sneaking around.

Offline Floydy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7722 on: March 7, 2019, 06:33:47 pm »
Well I like all this sneaking around.
who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #7723 on: March 7, 2019, 06:41:14 pm »
No one's "bottled" anything, for goodness sake. This is a fans' discussion forum and what we discuss here has no effect on anything. People can talk about next season if they like.

People can talk about next season. In another thread.

This is about chasing the title for this season. Summer transfers and next season have nothing to do with the here and now. Does it?
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7724 on: March 7, 2019, 07:18:26 pm »
Why are people giving up seriously where still well in this
Who's giving up?

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #7725 on: March 7, 2019, 07:51:49 pm »
Who's giving up?

Just seems like it we still have a great chance
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7726 on: March 7, 2019, 08:13:56 pm »
Fergie once used the term Devon Loch when it came to bottling, we this season or in 2013-14 have not done a Devon Loch. NOWHERE CLOSE.

Whether we win the league or not this season I will be proud of our boys. If we don't win, it won't be because we bottled it, it's because City were the team with the most points.

No bottling, no Hollywood narratives - we were just not good enough.

Ohhh if there was one word I could erase from football...

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
« Reply #7727 on: March 7, 2019, 08:21:22 pm »
City are being investigated by UEFA.  Pity the FA haven’t got the balls to do the same ay.  It would make our job easier to win the league if them cheating Cnuts got docked ten points.   :D

Online naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7728 on: March 7, 2019, 08:25:28 pm »
Who's giving up?
Most fans I chat with believe we are in the thick of it.
If we win our games we will win the league
I can’t see City winning at palace, Burnley and United
If they do then fair play.
 Hopefully Brighton need points on the  last day as well

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #7729 on: March 7, 2019, 08:29:52 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wMnF5u-MEUQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wMnF5u-MEUQ</a>

Offline Korbflechter

• Main Stander
« Reply #7730 on: March 7, 2019, 08:48:24 pm »
Just one opponent left that we haven't beaten this season. Shows what we are capable of. But we so need to step our game up and finally find our form again. It felt like we haven't even tried to play our football most times this year and I can't wrap my head around as to why that is. No patience on the ball, too much patience against it and just so many sloppy passes and bad positioning/decisions.
I'm fully convinced the lads are going to leave their heart and soul out on the pitch and just hope they play to their potential as well. That's all we need for no. 19 (well, that and a slip-up from City of course). Just don't know how much that is to ask right now...

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7731 on: March 7, 2019, 08:55:10 pm »
It felt like we haven't even tried to play our football most times this year and I can't wrap my head around as to why that is.

We've played with more discipline, we've played more conservatively less open, and it's why we're challenging for the league.

But to say we haven't tried to play our football is incorrect. You can't amass the amount of points we've have without trying to play ''our'' football.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #7732 on: March 7, 2019, 09:40:42 pm »

No heavy-metal football. Uninspiring team selections. Playing like a team closer to relegation worries than the team that had dominated pretty much every PL team we'd met up till the end of 2018. But then, we destroyed two other teams in amongst the poor run. We've become a real Jekyll & Hyde team.

As some don't seem able to grasp a point within a wider context, I was talking specifically about the fear and timidity we played with against Man U and the BS. A defensive midfield, lack of a high press, not committing players forward to support the attack, playing Milner in place of TAA against MU.

With the weakened starting lineup and further injuries they had in the 1st half, and the fragile confidence and general shiteness of that Everton team, both were there for the taking, yet we seemed feared to death to go for the kill. THAT is more akin to a team worrying about relegation, than a team needing wins to chase the title and who had destroyed almost all other PL teams we'd played in the first half of the season.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #7733 on: March 7, 2019, 09:43:04 pm »
Just one opponent left that we haven't beaten this season. Shows what we are capable of.

We'd beaten Leicester, West Ham, Man U and the shite before playing them in 2019.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Korbflechter

• Main Stander
« Reply #7734 on: March 7, 2019, 09:43:12 pm »
We've played with more discipline, we've played more conservatively less open, and it's why we're challenging for the league.

But to say we haven't tried to play our football is incorrect. You can't amass the amount of points we've have without trying to play ''our'' football.

Maybe I put it confusingly. I meant to say in 2019, not this season. First half did feel like our football although it was more conservative. Because it was well prepared in all aspects of the game and it had moments that were just so LFC. Struggling to find that since the turn of the year though.

Offline Korbflechter

• Main Stander
« Reply #7735 on: March 7, 2019, 09:49:25 pm »
We'd beaten Leicester, West Ham, Man U and the shite before playing them in 2019.

Looks like this is supposed to contradict what I said, which it doesn't do.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7736 on: March 7, 2019, 09:57:06 pm »
Maybe I put it confusingly. I meant to say in 2019, not this season. First half did feel like our football although it was more conservative. Because it was well prepared in all aspects of the game and it had moments that were just so LFC. Struggling to find that since the turn of the year though.

Could be a variety of reasosns. Injuries, intensity from December/November, viruses/illnesses, loss of rhythm due to the gap between matches and just it's hard to sustain the level we did prior to the start of the year. We've had a mixture of performances, and because City are a behemoth and have won every single game since they lost to Newcastle, it makes it seem a lot worse than it is. Obviously we need to win games, but it's not like we've played poorly in every match.

Offline Korbflechter

• Main Stander
« Reply #7737 on: March 7, 2019, 10:12:29 pm »
Could be a variety of reasosns. Injuries, intensity from December/November, viruses/illnesses, loss of rhythm due to the gap between matches and just it's hard to sustain the level we did prior to the start of the year. We've had a mixture of performances, and because City are a behemoth and have won every single game since they lost to Newcastle, it makes it seem a lot worse than it is. Obviously we need to win games, but it's not like we've played poorly in every match.

Not every single one of course, you're right. But way too many. And just the way we played, there was nothing really that showed who we were. We can go out and lose every game, that's no problem for me. But the way we were playing or the lack of playing rather is what upset me in essence. Like, I support Dortmund, too. And Spurs may have beaten us again in the second leg but the way we played in the first half was incomparable to nearly anything we have shown the past couple of weeks. So I'm perfectly fine with the result, keep playing like that and the wins will come. And when they don't, nobody is going to be upset.
So for me, it's all about the "how". Although we can't realistically destroy this season as a whole in my eyes, unless we fuck up completely in every single game that is left.

Offline Blue Coop

• Anny Roader
  • MCFC
« Reply #7738 on: March 7, 2019, 10:16:02 pm »
I’m surprised by the number of people in here who are having a meltdown after dropping behind a point after a couple of sub-par performance (albeit decent results in isolation). You only have to look back 10 games to land after two woeful City performances Palace H, Leicester A - form doesn’t dictate future performance. Since then City have W9 L1 in the PL with games against Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton & Chelsea included. That is the kind of response Liverpool are capable of in the next 9 games.

Both sides know two things, they will be favourites in every single game they walk out on to the pitch, and every side will be desperate to take points off us in the midst of all the title pressure. Here on in is simply about nerve, all games can be won, any game can be dropped. That’s the beauty of it all. I think we are all in for a hell of a run in, twists and turns in handfuls. One game at a time, stay in the race, and anything can happen right up until the final kick. Season 11/12 taught me that. Enjoy it!

Offline Floydy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7739 on: March 7, 2019, 10:29:27 pm »
I’m surprised by the number of people in here who are having a meltdown after dropping behind a point after a couple of sub-par performance (albeit decent results in isolation). You only have to look back 10 games to land after two woeful City performances Palace H, Leicester A - form doesn’t dictate future performance. Since then City have W9 L1 in the PL with games against Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton & Chelsea included. That is the kind of response Liverpool are capable of in the next 9 games.

Both sides know two things, they will be favourites in every single game they walk out on to the pitch, and every side will be desperate to take points off us in the midst of all the title pressure. Here on in is simply about nerve, all games can be won, any game can be dropped. That’s the beauty of it all. I think we are all in for a hell of a run in, twists and turns in handfuls. One game at a time, stay in the race, and anything can happen right up until the final kick. Season 11/12 taught me that. Enjoy it!
sensible post mate, surprised to see a city fan telling us how to behave whilst winning trophies :)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7740 on: March 8, 2019, 01:09:03 am »

Cheers, didn't expect that from a City supporter out of all people  :thumbup

Offline anoopvk

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #7741 on: March 8, 2019, 06:43:09 am »
It's the manner in which we've not scored that is crushing. A defensive-minded Man U, that was totally disrupted with 3 forced subs in the 1st half and their CF hobbling, and we sat back playing timid football. We played a pretty awful Everton team, whose confidence was paper-thin, and we went with a defensive-minded midfield, played timid football, and all this allowed them to grow into the game, then we made some peculiar substitutions that gave us nothing.

This on the back of two fear-laden and very poor displays against two mid-table teams (one at home).

No heavy-metal football. Uninspiring team selections. Playing like a team closer to relegation worries than the team that had dominated pretty much every PL team we'd met up till the end of 2018. But then, we destroyed two other teams in amongst the poor run. We've become a real Jekyll & Hyde team.
We had players like Henderson and Sturridge in those games. Think not having Keita settled into the team is a big issue for mid field creativity.
"We must turn from doubters to believers"

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #7742 on: March 8, 2019, 08:12:02 am »

Good post, pretty much spot on. City clearly have the stronger squad, let's hope we can hang on in there and give you a run for your money.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7743 on: March 8, 2019, 08:20:55 am »
It's the manner in which we've not scored that is crushing. A defensive-minded Man U, that was totally disrupted with 3 forced subs in the 1st half and their CF hobbling, and we sat back playing timid football. We played a pretty awful Everton team, whose confidence was paper-thin, and we went with a defensive-minded midfield, played timid football, and all this allowed them to grow into the game, then we made some peculiar substitutions that gave us nothing.

This on the back of two fear-laden and very poor displays against two mid-table teams (one at home).

We are probably victims of our own success. We've been very dominant and won a lot of games but how quick some are to forget this when results don't go our way for a patch. To use your reference to a relegation threatened team: If we were in the relegation zone, and only 1 point separated us from safety with 9 games left, you'd be absolutely crazy to think that your season was effectively over and you were going down. Similarly, 1 point is absolutely nothing with 9 games to go and chasing the title. These lads have come so close that I think they will fight tooth and nail and take it right down to the wire.

The reality is that in such a demanding league, its very rare to see any team dominant for the entire season. Man City just had a very rare season last year, perhaps as rare as Arsenal's invincibles, or the old Man Utd double and treble winning sides. Aside from a few small examples, nearly every title race has seen the lead exchange hands multiple times and seen the top 2 or 3 teams have predominantly outstanding form with small patches of very ordinary form. We have been no different, and in fact so have Man City this season too. I don't think we can necessarily then conclude we are a Jekyll and Hyde team on the basis of a handful of perhaps disappointing results.

As for timid football etc. well certainly our style has been very different to what we saw last season. That is why we are so defensively solid now. It is up to the coaching staff and the players to collectively strike the right balance between defensive solidity and risk taking/chance creation. Hopefully that will happen within the remaining games. Nevertheless, we have made remarkable progress over the last 24 months and the team that is taking shape looks like a team that could consistently challenge for titles and trophies for years to come - rather than just have a year of success, as we have seen in the past.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #7744 on: March 8, 2019, 10:11:12 am »

Good post mate! Well said!
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #7745 on: March 8, 2019, 12:18:18 pm »
If we get pipped to the PL this year,  Big Ears will be a decent consolation.
Kill the humourless

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #7746 on: March 8, 2019, 01:13:13 pm »
If we get pipped to the PL this year,  Big Ears will be a decent consolation.
Let's just win both  :D

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7747 on: March 8, 2019, 01:44:43 pm »
Let's just win both  :D

Love this attitude and why not. Sick of all the negativity and nonsense from some posters to be honest. It's bad enough when rat boy Neville is trolling us but to hear some of our own. Personally i think our front three are going to click and lead us to winning both  :champ
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7748 on: March 8, 2019, 02:21:43 pm »
City win tomorrow and the title is theirs ...that will be the typical pundit shyte I expect and also some of the crap we ourselves will be posting. Knee jerk reaction is never good which is why cool heads are always the key in a mini crisis and we are a long way from a crisis. By the end of next week we should be 2 points ahead again and hopefully that is the case but no one will be handing out the title until May thats for sure so whatever happens there is no need to panic and lose the head. Its just a game and win lose or draw most of us have to get on with life straight afterwards as no one else is wiping my ass (yet thankfully).
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #7749 on: March 8, 2019, 02:33:09 pm »
Lessons in Love:

I'm sure if Manchester City suddenly lost two in a row (while you're having orgasms) but then we only get two draws at the same time and manage to overtake them by a point, you'd be more concerned that you failed to win the league in a heartbeat masturbation, and that this Man City monster is still lying around in the corner waiting to pounce and eat you up before you pull your pants back on.

Poor boy. It's time to learn the lessons of a Premier League title race. Listen to my master, Rick Astley for advice:

We've known each other for so long
Your heart's been aching but you're too shy to say it
Inside we both know what's been going on
We know the game and we're gonna play it
And if you ask me how I'm feeling
Don't tell me you're too blind to see
Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna…
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Soucolorado

• Main Stander
« Reply #7750 on: March 8, 2019, 09:50:56 pm »
Took a while to get the derby result out of my system but I'm back to being confident now. The way I see it, it's been a season of quarters. City have had the better of the first and third quarters of the season, while we bettered them during the second quarter and ended up top of the table.

It's now a question of which team is better equipped to finish the season strongly. I have a feeling we'll see the benefits of our two mini pre-seasons during these last nine games, and produce our best quarter of the season. City on the other hand are already looking a bit leggy (albeit grinding out results), with injuries to key players.

Up the Red Men!

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this is golden...
« Reply #7751 on: March 9, 2019, 10:15:13 am »
Lessons in Love:

I'm sure if Manchester City suddenly lost two in a row (while you're having orgasms) but then we only get two draws at the same time and manage to overtake them by a point, you'd be more concerned that you failed to win the league in a heartbeat masturbation, and that this Man City monster is still lying around in the corner waiting to pounce and eat you up before you pull your pants back on.

Poor boy. It's time to learn the lessons of a Premier League title race. Listen to my master, Rick Astley for advice:

We've known each other for so long
Your heart's been aching but you're too shy to say it
Inside we both know what's been going on
We know the game and we're gonna play it
And if you ask me how I'm feeling
Don't tell me you're too blind to see
Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna…

Great! We've dropped 4 points in 2 games and now we've been rickrolled!!! :no

Not all he's had to say on the matter, mind... ;)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rAUkXDhrk5k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rAUkXDhrk5k</a>

and here's hoping, come May, it's a case of together forever and never to part...
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Online naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7752 on: March 9, 2019, 11:11:59 am »
Fancy Watford to take some points off city today
We will be back on top tomorrow evening 👍🏻

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #7753 on: March 9, 2019, 11:28:25 am »

That'd be nice but not according to my projections. Even weeks back, I had us go 4 points behind tonight... and then with the Manc Derby, Crystal Palace and even the last game we surpass them.

There's been a few other title races with a similar swing, I think about a decade ago when Chelsea overtook Man Utd something like this happened. When we say the players don't have the experience, the fans also need to admit they also need to do their research as they clearly also have no experience, wetting the bed with every lost point.

and here's hoping, come May, it's a case of together forever and never to part...

:wave  8)
« Last Edit: March 9, 2019, 11:35:04 am by SteveZissou »
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
« Reply #7754 on: March 9, 2019, 11:45:21 am »
We just need to regroup and remember we are a point behind. Forget the fact we could've had a larger points advantage etc and think about how we are going to play with freedom and enjoy each game. We as fans also need to chill out a point is nothing, if we were chasing top 4 or second and were a point behind we'd be super confident.

This man city team have great players and should steamroller most if not all teams in the league but they don't and they are prone to Moreno moments. Its not over and we will win it! Come on redmen
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7755 on: March 9, 2019, 12:27:01 pm »
I think if they fall behind they’ll fold. Cant see them getting anything the useless bastards.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7756 on: March 9, 2019, 03:33:32 pm »
Would have had more hope if Watford were at home. Watched has the past few games hoping for an upset then got mad at average 1-0 wins. Think il skip this game

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #7757 on: March 9, 2019, 05:13:07 pm »
Anyone know why they have made 7 changes and appear to be putting their reserves out?
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7758 on: March 9, 2019, 05:15:33 pm »
Anyone know why they have made 7 changes and appear to be putting their reserves out?

To concentrate on winning a trophy I assume, FA Cup up next for them.

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7759 on: March 9, 2019, 05:23:57 pm »
Disgraceful. Routine for city really. Team changes prob won’t matter