Author Topic: Guide to Liverpool for visitors  (Read 381792 times)

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Guide to Liverpool for visitors
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2014, 08:15:35 pm »
I'll catch a plane in John Lennon Airport at 6pm in a month's time and, being from Manchester, I would like to spend the morning and early afternoon roaming around the city. The thing is, I'll have my bag with me. Does anybody know if the coach or railway station have some kind of locker in which I could leave my things for a couple hours?

Lime Street Station

Left luggage

You can leave luggage at Excess Baggage Co, opposite the ticket office.

Monday to Thursday 07:00 - 21:00
    Friday to Sunday 07:00 - 23:00

For more information call 0151 707 8594 or visit Excess Baggage.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2014, 08:16:44 pm »
Cheers, mate!
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2015, 07:25:58 pm »
Lads, need some help.

Whats the cheapest/most efficient train from Manchester to Liverpool and vice-verse?

Also, can anyone recommend any decent hostels in the city for  night? Looking for a cheap bed, maybe 3 of us heading on the piss for the weekend.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2015, 11:09:40 pm »
Lads, need some help.

Whats the cheapest/most efficient train from Manchester to Liverpool and vice-verse?

Also, can anyone recommend any decent hostels in the city for  night? Looking for a cheap bed, maybe 3 of us heading on the piss for the weekend.

You can get trains directly from the airport, or you can get them from the centre of Manchester at Picadilly, Victoria or Oxford Road. The ones from the centre are frequent and all take roughly the same times, unless you get on a transpennine express one which only takes about half an hour.

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2015, 02:40:54 am »
Lads, need some help.

Hatters Hostel on Mount pleasant is alrite, by no means extravagant, but somewhere to put the head down after a few pints

http://hattershostels.com/liverpool-mount-pleasant/

or the Liverpool Inn Hotel also on Mount Pleasent is nice, stayed there the last time i was over, £75 between us for a triple room but very nice

http://www.liverpool-inn.co.uk/hotel.htm

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: September 1, 2015, 11:42:13 pm »
Coming up to Anfield for the Norwich game on the 20th and me girlfriend is coming up too. Her hope was to go shopping while the game was on but stupidly I didn't even think about L1 being closed by 5 on Sunday's, leaving her with a few spare hours. Any decent suggestions on somewhere alternative to shop (doubt anywhere would be open?) or just a nice coffee shop she could spend a couple of hours, something nice and laid back ideally but all suggestions welcome...anything to get me out the doghouse!!

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2016, 03:32:18 pm »
<a href="http://YouTube.com/v/Mac6Cqset5E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://YouTube.com/v/Mac6Cqset5E</a>

<a href="http://YouTube.com/v/yZzIThpAA7M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://YouTube.com/v/yZzIThpAA7M</a>

<a href="http://YouTube.com/v/58W8UqADvPE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://YouTube.com/v/58W8UqADvPE</a>

<a href="http://YouTube.com/v/D07msmHFaO8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://YouTube.com/v/D07msmHFaO8</a>

Sorry if it's been posted elsewhere, thought this might help some of our OOT / OOC visitors  :P :wave
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2016, 04:05:33 pm »
Missed an important one:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_ovibETVBk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_ovibETVBk</a>
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2017, 09:39:46 pm »
I would highly recommend the tour of Liverpools first dock to visitors and residents alike.
It's free, which is always a bonus  ;), and really interesting.
You meet up with two archaeologists in the Albert dock, and they take you on the tour.
You get to learn what the line of fountains, and all the markings on the pavement by Liverpool 1, are about.
Then you get to go underneath the porthole/viewing window, into the dock itself.
Been on it myself once; will deffo be going on it again  8)

Liverpools first dock tour.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline exCite

• Anny Roader
  • Form Is Temporary, Class Is Permanent.
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2018, 07:32:59 am »
We've already been to Liverpool a couple of times, but I'd like to find a good pub around the ground (read: pre-game atmosphere, singing).
Any recommendations? The Sandon, The Park?
We Remember them with pride,
Those mighty reds of Shankly's side.
And Kenny's boys of '88,
There's never been a side so great.

Online kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2018, 04:20:43 pm »
We've already been to Liverpool a couple of times, but I'd like to find a good pub around the ground (read: pre-game atmosphere, singing).
Any recommendations? The Sandon, The Park?

I am also going to the match on Sat and would like recommendations. I've heard the Sandon recommended. On top of that, we need to eat somewhere, should we do that in the City Centre before heading out or is there somewhere good close to the ground? Nothing too fancy, we're scruffy.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2018, 10:42:33 am »
Could these be added to the top?

Accomodation:

Staycity Aparthotels ***
37-41 Duke Street, Liverpool, L1 5AP
2-3 minute walk to the city centre
1, 2, & 3 bed apartments
Tel +44 151 707 2302

Specialty Coffee:

Duke Street Espresso: 27 Duke Street, Liverpool City Centre, Merseyside, L1 5AP, United Kingdom
The Cow & Co Café: 15 Cleveland Square, Liverpool, Merseyside L1 5BE
Cafe Thorntons: Unit 51, 59 South John St, Liverpool One, Merseyside, L1 8BU, United Kingdom
Bold Street Coffee: 89 Bold Street, Liverpool City Centre, Merseyside, L1 4HF, United Kingdom
Lox & Caper: 65-67 Hanover Street, Liverpool, Merseyside L1 3DY

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2018, 09:44:37 pm »
Flying around 5000 miles to attend my first ever game at Anfield on the 25th against Brighton..
Staying at the Hampton By Hilton at Kings Dock, Mill Hurst Street. What would be the best way to reach the stadium and
what's a good time to reach on match day to get in comfortably?
Any do's and dont's I should follow?
Thanks in advance..

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 09:46:36 pm by 88_RED »
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Licky

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2018, 10:13:33 pm »
Flying around 5000 miles to attend my first ever game at Anfield on the 25th against Brighton..
Staying at the Hampton By Hilton at Kings Dock, Mill Hurst Street. What would be the best way to reach the stadium and
what's a good time to reach on match day to get in comfortably?
Any do's and dont's I should follow?
Thanks in advance..

I’d just grab a black cab there will loads around where you are staying, be about £10 to the ground, takes about 10-15 mins, gets a bit crowded at the turnstiles from about 20-30 mins before kick off.
They have translated from Halmstads to Malmo, to Orebo to Neuchatel Xamax, to the Swiss national team, so I find the question insulting.

Offline 88_RED

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2018, 11:41:48 am »
I’d just grab a black cab there will loads around where you are staying, be about £10 to the ground, takes about 10-15 mins, gets a bit crowded at the turnstiles from about 20-30 mins before kick off.

Cheers mate.. appreciate it..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2018, 12:43:26 pm »
^ 88 Red - This is what I do to make the most of it:
Get a black cab there early - at least 2 hours or so gives you time to have a snack and a drink before going in to take in sights and sounds of the ground. It's great to watch the players warming up and have a good look around and find your seat etc.
 Get a pie (I'm sure they have a vegetarian) or a scone and a cup of tea at Hombaked near to the Kop (http://homebaked.org.uk/bakery/match_days_at_anfield/)

After the game walk back to town, and enjoy the sun going down, as you saunter with the thousands of others that will be walking too. If it's raining you could take the soccer bus (number 917 £2.10 on Walton Breck Road - The Kop -   back to the City Centre).
I hope you have a boss time and bring us a bit of luck  :scarf
(and don't invade the pitch even if you have an overwhelming urge to cuddle Mo or Mané)

Offline 88_RED

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2018, 07:34:16 pm »
^ 88 Red - This is what I do to make the most of it:
Get a black cab there early - at least 2 hours or so gives you time to have a snack and a drink before going in to take in sights and sounds of the ground. It's great to watch the players warming up and have a good look around and find your seat etc.
 Get a pie (I'm sure they have a vegetarian) or a scone and a cup of tea at Hombaked near to the Kop (http://homebaked.org.uk/bakery/match_days_at_anfield/)

After the game walk back to town, and enjoy the sun going down, as you saunter with the thousands of others that will be walking too. If it's raining you could take the soccer bus (number 917 £2.10 on Walton Breck Road - The Kop -   back to the City Centre).
I hope you have a boss time and bring us a bit of luck  :scarf
(and don't invade the pitch even if you have an overwhelming urge to cuddle Mo or Mané)

That's brilliant mate.. really appreciate the advice.. Walking back into the city centre with fellow reds after hopefully a thumping win would be amazing..

Just one question.. what makes you think I'm vegetarian?  ;D
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2018, 11:05:57 pm »
^ you’re in India la. I thought youse were all veggies?

Offline 88_RED

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2018, 03:45:41 am »
^ you’re in India la. I thought youse were all veggies?

Haha.. no chance.. 60% of the population is non vegetarian..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2019, 10:08:10 am »
Didn't know where to post and didn't want a new thread. Mods delete, move or whatever it is you do in your spare time between putting on your frowns and waggling your fingers.

We've just returned from a trip to Liverpool. Ive not been since mid 80's when I was a yoof on a scoot attending scooter club do's to get pished and dance to northern soul. Ye we'd ride up from that sarf east London on lambrettas just to drink and dance with friends we'd made on rallies. Even met a scoot guy of lfc tour. Nice guy, sorry forgot name. (Gordon?)

Anyway, we had a great time. The Museum is great, the Lennon exhibition was moving and ends on 3rd Nov 2019. So hurry up if you've not been. We did the whole thing, the magical mystery tour, tour of anfield etc. We had a great time and yous should be rightfully proud of your city. We'll return for longer next yr, so we can go to the lesser known parts. Off the beaten track. Wifey is huge beatles fan as I am, so that was her driver.

£2.35 for a pint. £2.35!!. I ordered two in the old post office and had to ask if she'd made a mistake. No. £2.35. You can't even buy a pint for the £4.70 it cost me for two. Nice pub. Its normal for you guys and probably not an exemplary pub. But for me it was how pubs used to be in a way I'd forgotten. Lots of Liverpool was like that and it made me sad for what we've lost, but happy that it still existed somewhere.

£9.70 in Cavern though. To be expected I guess. Still, the acts were pretty good and I make no apologies for being a tourist. :)

The 6. Thats what I really wanted to see. I can die happy. Just as Bills statue says.

Paid my respects to the 96.

Cheers :)
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2019, 07:27:04 am »
Aye the city is pretty good right now, although I would say £2.35 a pint is an exception rather than the rule. Most places seem to be charging more and more, well over £4 and seem to keep rising at a rapid rate.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2019, 11:41:45 am »
^ Nice little review that boots. I've heard the John Lennon exhibition is good - have to try and get down there next week.

Offline ArdmoreRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2019, 05:45:08 pm »
Hi all...in the early stages of planning a trip to Ireland and then Liverpool in April during our Spring break here in the US - I'm from the Philadelphia area.  My wife and I are celebrating over 20 years since we met.  We may come over for a week and then have our kids fly over to join us in Liverpool. 

So far the idea is to fly to Dublin and drive around Ireland for 5 days or so, just see the countryside, less touristy the better.  then take the ferry over to Liverpool ?  do people do this, will be enjoy?
Timing would be early April - the Villa game is currently scheduled for April 11 but I understand it could get moved to the 12th. 
Champions League quarters are either side of this but I know we can't plan on this. 

Do I have a chance of getting 4 tickets?  Would be a dream come true to see a game at Anfield.  Would love to also do the tour and walk the downtown, do some Beatles stuff.  But I also would love a more authentic experience for game day. 
Any advice or tips would be most appreciated.  I'm so excited for this trip, hope we can sort it out.

Online MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2021, 04:49:59 pm »
I left Liverpool as a kiddie. With the exception of trips to Anfield and the odd business trip, I have not spent much time in the city since.

Now I plan to take my wife and daughter to Liverpool  in August to see where it all began. Anfield and Calderstones Park (used to live near it) are on the list as is a Beatles tour. Can anyone recommend some places to visit with primary school aged children and vegetarian cafes/restaurants around Childwall, Aigburth and Woolton?
Justice for the 96!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2021, 09:34:13 pm »
I left Liverpool as a kiddie. With the exception of trips to Anfield and the odd business trip, I have not spent much time in the city since.

Now I plan to take my wife and daughter to Liverpool  in August to see where it all began. Anfield and Calderstones Park (used to live near it) are on the list as is a Beatles tour. Can anyone recommend some places to visit with primary school aged children and vegetarian cafes/restaurants around Childwall, Aigburth and Woolton?

Jebediah had a similar request a couple of weeks ago.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: July 1, 2021, 10:05:29 am »

Jebediah had a similar request a couple of weeks ago.

Yep, lots of suggestions here: https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=347808.0

Also depending when you come,  and if its been cancelled or not (haven't checked), there usually is some sort of event at the Albert dock on the bank holiday weekend.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: August 3, 2021, 09:03:23 pm »
We did the Cavern Club Magical Mystery Tour today, I can recommend it for both Beatles lovers and casual fans.
https://www.cavernclub.com/the-magical-mystery-tour/

Overall, the girls and I enjoyed our mini break in Liverpool. They saw the city for the first time, I revisited a lot of childhood landmarks. I’d forgotten what a friendly and good looking city it is.
Justice for the 96!

Offline indianscouser

• Kopite
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2022, 11:21:51 pm »
I am going to be in Liverpool for 3 days during the weekend of the Watford game (managed to score a ticket!). I was looking for a suggestion on some nice localities to stay (Airbnb?) as the City Centre is just so expensive. I want to stay in a place from where I can get to Anfield and the City Centre in about 15-20 mins. Any advice or tips would be most appreciated.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2022, 09:00:39 pm »
I am going to be in Liverpool for 3 days during the weekend of the Watford game (managed to score a ticket!). I was looking for a suggestion on some nice localities to stay (Airbnb?) as the City Centre is just so expensive. I want to stay in a place from where I can get to Anfield and the City Centre in about 15-20 mins. Any advice or tips would be most appreciated.

Some of the pubs around the ground now have rooms ( the cabbage hall , the flat iron , the sandon all five mins walk to the ground and decent bus or taxi routes into the city centre , think you find most places will be more expensive match day . Had a quick look and the cabbage hall is £110 a night for 3 people

Would still recommend staying in the centre just for the fact there is more to do and see on the non match days unless you are doing the museum and tour

Offline indianscouser

• Kopite
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2022, 01:17:37 am »
Some of the pubs around the ground now have rooms ( the cabbage hall , the flat iron , the sandon all five mins walk to the ground and decent bus or taxi routes into the city centre , think you find most places will be more expensive match day . Had a quick look and the cabbage hall is £110 a night for 3 people

Would still recommend staying in the centre just for the fact there is more to do and see on the non match days unless you are doing the museum and tour

Thank you. Yes, others I have spoken with also recommend centre is the place to be.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2022, 12:29:40 pm »
Might be worth you considering getting a saveaway (Depending on where you get it, you might need to buy a £1 Walrus card too) - if you get an all-zone, you can use the buses and trains and ferries across the whole Network (Up to Southport, Chester, West Kirkby etc) which is about £6 (If you just want around the ground and town then you can get a C1 ticket that'll get you to Sandhills, the soccerbus, the 14, 17 and 19 buses which are a 5 min walk to the ground) and also trains on the Northern Line and trains and buses to South Parkwayl

The 14, 17, 19 buses can get got at the 'Gyratory' which is just up from Lime Street (Ask someone!) and you'll see a queue of matchgoers if you get there before the match.

If you are in town late, they are a great option as they'll beat a cab to the ground - usually 10-15 mins from town to Breck Road

If you are getting a Saveaway, get it at Central or Lime Street

If you just want the bus, you can buy a 'Dayrider' ticket on any bus.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 12:35:04 pm by Andy @ Allerton! »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline my name canged back to tucker?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2022, 03:59:19 pm »
Some good info on this thread.

Me and my 10yr old son are flying into Liverpool tomorrow morning, think we're going to do the stadium tour in the afternoon and for the match tomorrow night.

Are there any child friendly bars we could go to in the lead up to the match that would have a decent atmosphere?