Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1407475 times)

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #3200 on: January 25, 2019, 10:41:56 pm »
Pressure.

Think you might want to say away from the forum mate. It's like you're cracking under the pressure.

Enjoy it!

You do know we've players like Fab, Milner who have won titles plus convinced Hendo, Sturridge have learnt from our past title change. Then you have a natural leader in VVD.

Relax and enjoy it pal. What we don't need is fans piling the pressure on our lads. We need to believe and help them never give in like we did last week again Palace.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3201 on: January 25, 2019, 10:51:49 pm »
Playing after them helps us in a way.

We should be aiming to win every game, but if they drop points before we play, we can go out safe in the knowledge that even if we do, we’re still ahead of them. There’s less pressure on us by playing 2nd IMO.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3202 on: January 26, 2019, 12:14:59 am »
Think you've got that a bit the wrong way around.  They'll have a game in hand.. which is Everton.

It'll likely be 2 games in hand by the middle of March as they're due to play United on 16th which is the 6th round of the FA Cup.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Gutzon Borglum

• Kopite
« Reply #3203 on: January 26, 2019, 03:49:23 am »
It'll likely be 2 games in hand by the middle of March as they're due to play United on 16th which is the 6th round of the FA Cup.

lets hope that ends up going to a replay, their schedule will be 2 matches a week as long as they stay in the CL.. I know they have a deep squad, but the players that aren't in their first XI aren't in it for a reason.

Meanwhile, with a little rotation in midfield to keep it fresh and subbing off our forwards early if we are in control, we should be able to play our strongest XI every match for the rest of the season.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3204 on: January 26, 2019, 07:35:12 am »
Kind of strange. I think it takes some of the pressure off the Bayern tie. I personally love ole big ears and would probably be in a minority of preferring to win the CL over the premiership but if we do go out it would give us an advantage so we can’t lose.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3205 on: January 26, 2019, 07:47:14 am »
Kind of strange. I think it takes some of the pressure off the Bayern tie. I personally love ole big ears and would probably be in a minority of preferring to win the CL over the premiership but if we do go out it would give us an advantage so we can’t lose.

I'll never understand this. We haven't won the league since 1990. :o

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3206 on: January 26, 2019, 08:15:31 am »
I'll never understand this. We haven't won the league since 1990. :o
[/quote

I've seen us win the league piles of times :) I just think the status of the Champions League trumps all.  I got pissed off with the EPL and the corrupt F.A in the fergie era - the Suarez stitch up by Fergies mates .. the referees ensuring that fergie won his last title before retiring(Mark Halsey admitted that he used to text fergie). Now its dominated by a plastic financially doped team(with another, Chelsea in attendance).....anyway there'll be plenty of time to win the EPL if we don't win it this year...we are BACK and and I don't think we are going away unless Klopp suddenly retires.

Edit. Not sure what happened with the format.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:17:03 am by free_at_last »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3207 on: January 26, 2019, 08:34:29 am »
I’m not usually one for negativity but I do think we’ll strugl to replicate this points total next season. Whether we win it or not I think it will take quite an emotional toll on us and I can see next season being a more ‘normL’ Season from is. Which is why I’m so desperate to win the League this year. Opportunities like this done come around easily in this era so we really need to grasp this while we have such a good chance.

No pressure. :D

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3208 on: January 26, 2019, 08:38:37 am »
The Champions League is the pinnacle, its what helped keep us mentioned amongst the elite during the barren times, the club was almost built on European tales. I would dearly love to add another to our haul and further cement our name amongst the very elite of the game.

I see no reason why we can't go deep in it and maintain our challenge for the league. It's 6 games at the most to get back to the Final, and no FA Cup so our Premier League fixtures are now set. It will have been 53 games in all competitions if we did manage another Final appearance, a squad such as ours should be able to handle that.

On the flip side, it's realistic that City could well end up in the 60s if they go all the way.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3209 on: January 26, 2019, 08:39:57 am »
I’m not usually one for negativity but I do think we’ll strugl to replicate this points total next season. Whether we win it or not I think it will take quite an emotional toll on us and I can see next season being a more ‘normL’ Season from is. Which is why I’m so desperate to win the League this year. Opportunities like this done come around easily in this era so we really need to grasp this while we have such a good chance.

No pressure. :D

4 title challenges (not including this one) in 28 years. No, title challenges don't come around every year.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3210 on: January 26, 2019, 09:11:44 am »

4 title challenges (not including this one) in 28 years. No, title challenges don't come around every year.

We’re more united and better run now tha at any previous point in that time. So we shouldn’t fall away in the same way. Just think it’ll be hard to sustain this level of excellence for two full seasons.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3211 on: January 26, 2019, 09:14:50 am »

As I said though, we are BACK. I think we are in better shape than for decades, on and off the pitch. I think those title challenges will become more frequent now :)

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #3212 on: January 26, 2019, 09:20:13 am »
We’re more united and better run now tha at any previous point in that time. So we shouldn’t fall away in the same way. Just think it’ll be hard to sustain this level of excellence for two full seasons.

Agreed. Oh and the Spurs trophy for cumulative points over two seasons means shit. Let’s just carry on being the best team this season and win the league!

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3213 on: January 26, 2019, 10:51:25 am »

It’s also worth pointing out that it wouldn’t be beyond the realms for Guardiola to fuck off next season either.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3214 on: January 26, 2019, 10:52:21 am »
It’s also worth pointing out that it wouldn’t be beyond the realms for Guardiola to fuck off next season either.

True. Would you take them winning the Champions League if it meant he left?

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3215 on: January 26, 2019, 10:58:43 am »
If theres any away games against the dross that City can drop points in, its Newcastle.

They struggled at home against them if I remember correctly, took a longshot punt from Walker to win it.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3216 on: January 26, 2019, 11:01:25 am »
Playing after them helps us in a way.

We should be aiming to win every game, but if they drop points before we play, we can go out safe in the knowledge that even if we do, we’re still ahead of them. There’s less pressure on us by playing 2nd IMO.

Not that I care what City does but I disagree as its always nice to be focused on your own game, shot etc and the best pros out there want to get their noses ahead and stay there. Watch Tiger when he leads the pack as he usually just did his thing. He always wanted to put the ball close and pile the pressure on, why would you want it any other way. Likewise when the best were chasing as they would pile it on and if you are not use to the pressure (as of now we are not) then some crumble. I dont want to think about that so lets not give them a chance to eek any closer. Once we get a chance to increase that gap go out with even more focus not less.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 11:04:03 am by fowlermagic »
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3217 on: January 26, 2019, 11:03:09 am »

Weirdly I was wondering the same thing myself and the answer is probably yes. Them winning the CL, although annoying, would be much the same as them winning the league and not really mean that much. Everyone was always dead against Chelsea winning it for similar reasons then nobody was bothered that much when they eventually did (apart from Chelsea, and probably Spurs fans.) pus if they are to win it, then the same season we win the title would be nice as id be drunk for at least a fortnight after our final game of the season and wouldn’t care.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #3218 on: January 26, 2019, 11:23:01 am »
I get the criticism of the financial doping in the pl , but the big recent winners of the cl seem to have unofficial state sponsorship.

It does feel like this is the best shot we've had in ages. I don't think we will accumulate as many points at this stage next season, but then I don't expect city too either.  Or it could be that we are entering an era where is and city slug it out for a few seasons and dropping five points costs the title!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3219 on: January 26, 2019, 11:38:06 am »
I get the criticism of the financial doping in the pl , but the big recent winners of the cl seem to have unofficial state sponsorship.

This is likely to be an unpopular opinion on here, but I think the ‘financial doping’ side of things is massively overstated. Obviously it makes you competitive, but City had won 2 league titles before Guardiola showed up, its the manager whose turned them into this juggernqugjt more than it is the money, arguably their best players were either already there when Guardiola was appointed, or weren’t signed for ridiculous sums either.

As much as City are dislikable for where their money comes from, which is a different subject entirely, I find it hard to get too up in arms about the money they spend when the game as a whole has reached such ludicrous levels.

This season you’re seeing two amazing footballing sides fighting out the most competitive title race in years, arguably ever. That should be the focus, rather than point scoring with each other over who has the moral high ground on it.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3220 on: January 26, 2019, 11:41:04 am »

None of those sides are as good as this one and our club was not in the strong position it is now. 08/09 and 13/14 were amazing sides but lets be honest, none of those sides is as good as this one.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 11:42:44 am by a treeless whopper »

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #3221 on: January 26, 2019, 11:42:01 am »
I personally think we’ll only get stronger from here. Think the defence will maintain their excellence, maybe even tighten up slightly. And there are definitely areas for improvement in the midfield. Getting in some top quality cover in attack will mean the front three won’t need to conserve energy and can just play to their maximum.

Definitely think we have more room for improvement than city which is frightening in itself. Another good round of transfers in the summer and I can definitely see us winning it next year regardless of what happens this season.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3222 on: January 26, 2019, 11:45:53 am »
I personally think we’ll only get stronger from here. Think the defence will maintain their excellence, maybe even tighten up slightly. And there are definitely areas for improvement in the midfield. Getting in some top quality cover in attack will mean the front three won’t need to conserve energy and can just play to their maximum.

Definitely think we have more room for improvement than city which is frightening in itself. Another good round of transfers in the summer and I can definitely see us winning it next year regardless of what happens this season.

Kompany, Silva, Fernandinho and Aguero have a huge influence even now and they are much older. They have amazing younger players and looks like they replaced Kompany well, but he still has influence there.

After that, the rest of the league are years away from amassing the quality us and City have. Arsenal and Spurs wont, Chelsea have a battle keeping their best players. Its only Utd who have the resources to bridge that gap the quickest.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3223 on: January 26, 2019, 11:56:43 am »

Depends if we win it this year, next year may be a hangover season if we accumulate 90+ points and still dont win a major trophy, that'd take its toll mentality in my opinion, hopefully wrong though.

09/10 and 14/15 still haunt me.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3224 on: January 26, 2019, 12:01:10 pm »
Depends if we win it this year, next year may be a hangover season if we accumulate 90+ points and still dont win a major trophy, that'd take its toll mentality in my opinion, hopefully wrong though.

Again, those sides are not as good as this one and the club and its structure is much better now.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3225 on: January 26, 2019, 12:58:58 pm »
This is likely to be an unpopular opinion on here, but I think the ‘financial doping’ side of things is massively overstated. Obviously it makes you competitive, but City had won 2 league titles before Guardiola showed up, its the manager whose turned them into this juggernqugjt more than it is the money, arguably their best players were either already there when Guardiola was appointed, or weren’t signed for ridiculous sums either.

Sorry mate, but that is nonsense. Without the financial doping, Guardiola wouldn't be there in the first place.

They had only won 2 titles prior to that because they had to spend a billion to get from where they were in 2008 to compete with Abramovic money and United.

In terms of his signings, from the 1st July 2016 until the start of this season, so just over 2 years, he has signed players for a total of €564.1m (figures from Transfermarkt. Only including players at €15m or more). That's on 13 players, so an average of €43.39m per player. 7 of those players at €50m or more. Only 2 of those were after PSG sent the transfer market absolutely crazy with the €200m signing of Neymar.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3226 on: January 26, 2019, 01:00:30 pm »

As long as we win the league, I couldn’t give a fuck if they win everything else
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3227 on: January 26, 2019, 01:09:19 pm »

Booooooooooo! I say "booooooooo".

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3228 on: January 26, 2019, 01:09:47 pm »
Sorry mate, but that is nonsense. Without the financial doping, Guardiola wouldn't be there in the first place.

They had only won 2 titles prior to that because they had to spend a billion to get from where they were in 2008 to compete with Abramovic money and United.

In terms of his signings, from the 1st July 2016 until the start of this season, so just over 2 years, he has signed players for a total of €564.1m (figures from Transfermarkt. Only including players at €15m or more). That's on 13 players, so an average of €43.39m per player. 7 of those players at €50m or more. Only 2 of those were after PSG sent the transfer market absolutely crazy with the €200m signing of Neymar.

No I know, I’m not saying it’s irrelevant.

Money gets you competitive, top management gets you to their level.

In terms of what we’re up against this season, if you asked me to name their key players I’m not sure how many of them he’s signed, and of the ones he has, for anything especially out of the ordinary in terms of transfer fees? You’re still looking at the likes of Aguero, De Bruyne, Kompany, Fernandinho, Silva as their really top performers.

I’m not saying it’s irrelevant, and in the greater picture it is certainly a big issue. I just think in the context of this season and the fight for the title it’s not as bigger issue as it’s made out to be.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #3229 on: January 26, 2019, 01:11:44 pm »
every time they win 8-0 and we grind out a routine 1-0 they are going to die just a little inside. At some point they are going to lose 3 out of 4 again. These guys are Trust Fund babys they cant survive in the wild.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3230 on: January 26, 2019, 06:43:17 pm »
One of the main reasons I was relieved we beat Napoli was getting kicked down to Uefa and Thursday night football meaning we play league football after City. And it looks like that is going to happen anyway.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #3231 on: January 26, 2019, 08:17:11 pm »
No I know, I’m not saying it’s irrelevant.

Money gets you competitive, top management gets you to their level.

In terms of what we’re up against this season, if you asked me to name their key players I’m not sure how many of them he’s signed, and of the ones he has, for anything especially out of the ordinary in terms of transfer fees? You’re still looking at the likes of Aguero, De Bruyne, Kompany, Fernandinho, Silva as their really top performers.

I’m not saying it’s irrelevant, and in the greater picture it is certainly a big issue. I just think in the context of this season and the fight for the title it’s not as bigger issue as it’s made out to be.

I'm not sure what we are meaning by 'doping', but City clearly have had a massive injection of cash that isn't as a result of match day fees and sponsorship appropriate to how they were performing. See also Chelsea and I believe PSG.   We can look at United and see they are leaking cash out to the Glaziers.  I don't know if FSG have 'pumped' money into our club.

"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #3232 on: January 26, 2019, 08:20:38 pm »
I have to say I think it’s an absolute myth that we will be more motivated if they play first and drop points.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3233 on: January 26, 2019, 08:24:16 pm »
I have to say I think it’s an absolute myth that we will be more motivated if they play first and drop points.

So do I,they know what they have to do & that is match the twats,they will play every game to win.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #3234 on: January 26, 2019, 09:13:33 pm »
If theres any away games against the dross that City can drop points in, its Newcastle.

They struggled at home against them if I remember correctly, took a longshot punt from Walker to win it.

I am hoping that the performance Newcastle put on today means they will not put in the same performance on Tuesday.
YWNA

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #3235 on: January 26, 2019, 09:36:20 pm »
I totally agree with this which, to be honest, is completely crazy. We have a lot more room to strengthen the squad than City do, and I honestly think our first 11 is better, man to man. It was incredible the level they had to reach just to rather fortunately beat us by one goal at their place. It's a magical time to be a red, it really is.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #3236 on: January 26, 2019, 09:38:26 pm »
Again, those sides are not as good as this one and the club and its structure is much better now.
Exactly. A near miss will make us hungrier, and more determined knowing exactly what we have to do to win, and with the experience of having got so close. And where do City go from here? It'll take an absolutely miraculous summer for them to improve on where they're already at, which players like Silva and Fernandinho and Aguero being a) unlikely to keep hitting these heights over a whole season and b) being extremely hard to replace. I mean they will, in time, too much money not to...but in one season? Unlikely.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Paullfc95

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3237 on: January 26, 2019, 09:40:27 pm »
Another game behind city then next Monday with Wimbledon winning there

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3238 on: January 26, 2019, 11:06:07 pm »

I saw people predicting we’d have a hangover from the CL final loss to Real Madrid. But this squad seem to have a strong mentality now. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3239 on: January 26, 2019, 11:07:22 pm »
I saw people predicting we’d have a hangover from the CL final loss to Real Madrid. But this squad seem to have a strong mentality now.

Yeah can't keep bringing up past sides when they have nothing to do with this current one. We've gone from strength to strength under Klopp.