Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1403241 times)

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #3160 on: January 24, 2019, 04:14:51 pm »
Some parts of Reddy's articles read a bit like club-fed propaganda, but I find them to be thoroughly enjoyable reads and I think she's a much better writer than the vast majority of UK-based football writers, most of whom I find incredibly underwhelming (to put it kindly) compared to their American sports counterparts.

Pretty much my take on it.

Enjoyable read and you get an insight into the club which you won’t get from
Many other journals. Obviously the caveat to that is you only get the things that the club want you to get.

The only thing I’d say about Reddy that I find a bit frustrating (and it’s not visible in that article,) is that she seems to talk as if her opinion is the correct one, I’ve mentioned it before about her on The Anfield Wrap and it’s noticable in some articles. One example being when she lauded Keita as some sort of Makalele, Vieira, Kante hybrid before he’d even kicked a ball and almost left no room any kind of doubt, I’m not sure that kind of thing is helpful and I said it at the time rather than being revisionist now that he’s been a tad underwhelming. That particular article on Keita read as if she was trying to predict his brilliance so she’d look like she has excellent knowledge of the Bindesliga etc, in reality football is never such a sure thing, the example I always use of this is the Mancs with Veron.

Anyway, I digress. A good article and I especially hope the part about the lads being relaxed and determine at the same time is core for. Robbo and Craig on Talking Reds also discusses it.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3161 on: January 24, 2019, 04:27:19 pm »
I'm less confident. I can see a world where it's  possible to drop points in 4 of those games (1, 2, 3 & 5). Southampton are a new team after the manager change. Everton are Everton but you can never assume an away win in a Derby. Man United's bubble still hasn't burst under OGS and if they think they can stop us winning the league they will be hugely motivated.
Bit of a ridiculous point. You an drop points at any of the 7 fixtures. The fact is this: we're better than all of them. We, as a fanbase, get so worried about what other teams can do to us and neglect to think about what we can, and will, do to them. We've got these.

Offline Mozology

• Legacy Fan
  • FSG, spend some fucking money, miserable bastards
« Reply #3162 on: January 24, 2019, 10:11:23 pm »
So City play Chelsea in the Caraboa Final. How does this affect their fixtures?

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3163 on: January 24, 2019, 10:18:16 pm »
So City play Chelsea in the Caraboa Final. How does this affect their fixtures?

City’s league game at Goodison has to be rearranged.

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #3164 on: January 24, 2019, 10:58:36 pm »
All we can do is keep winning,nothing else matters. We can speculate as much as we want on how results will go for either us or Them but its largely irrelevant. The cliched "one game at a time" is exactly that,we keep getting 3 points and it wont matter. We also have a manager who knows how to get over the line in managing expectations and getting the job done,doesnt make ie any easier mind on the nerves but jesus how many times have we been in with a shout of winning the league!! Lets just be glad we are in a position to give it a right go and if we come up short so be it.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #3165 on: January 25, 2019, 12:04:16 am »
Bit of a ridiculous point. You an drop points at any of the 7 fixtures. The fact is this: we're better than all of them. We, as a fanbase, get so worried about what other teams can do to us and neglect to think about what we can, and will, do to them. We've got these.

I'm never one to say what we will do, but I'm with you on what we can do.  I'm the cautious type, and hate to tempt fate.  ;)

But yes, I agree that we can worry far too much about what other sides might do to us rather than concentrating on what we can do to them.

I fully understand it, of course. We've seen far too many false dawns over the years, haven't we?

Call it youthful arrogance if you like, but when I was younger I never worried about what other teams could do to us. I don't think our club had that mentality at all back then, and neither, to my knowledge, did the fanbase. We always just seemed to let others worry about us instead. Maybe we could afford to, though, because we really were that good then. Looking back, though, some of the sides we played, particularly in Europe, would scare the pants off you if you did give it too much thought. Big names came here but I don't think we were intimidated by them at all. I suppose that came down to the self-belief instilled into the players, the club and the fans by Bill shankly and Bob Paisley. They made players believe they could run through walls. Hopefully, we are getting back to a mindset at the club where we start to let the rest worry about us once more, no matter who they are or where they come from.

Maybe us fans may never quite get back that unshakable belief, but as I said, we've seen so many false dawns over the years, and competitors for this league have never come up against such a heavily financially-doped opponent before. The playing field is far from level in the current era, so there will always be doubts in the minds of many fans. City are the steroid freak of our sport, but those types don't always win. Hopefully we can prove that this season. All we can do is concentrate on ourselves and take each game one at a time and give it everything. If we do so, we won't be far away.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:05:56 am by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline fridge

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #3166 on: January 25, 2019, 02:13:01 am »
City’s league game at Goodison has to be rearranged.

The Blueshite have got previous in this fixture. If they can fuck us up they will. They'll be more than happy to roll over and have their bellies tickled
Each night before I go to bed I thank the Lord that I'm a Red

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #3167 on: January 25, 2019, 02:43:55 am »
The Blueshite have got previous in this fixture. If they can fuck us up they will. They'll be more than happy to roll over and have their bellies tickled

Or more than likely they get beat anyway because City are so much better, then they try to spin it as they only lost in order to mess with us
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3168 on: January 25, 2019, 11:14:59 am »
Tell you what, that was brilliant seeing Chelsea go trough last night. They play City in the league 2 weeks before the final. Chelsea will be right up for that league game. The media will play it up too that whichever team wins will have an edge in the final. If Chelsea go there and take points they'll see that as reason they will win the final, but if they go there and get dicked.....

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #3169 on: January 25, 2019, 11:17:26 am »
Everton's role in the title run-in is an irrelevance. They're a midtable side scratching around for points against the likes of Brighton and Burnley. The idea that they're somehow 'king makers' is baffling. They'll be 40+ points off the top come May.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3170 on: January 25, 2019, 11:22:17 am »
I’ve wasted hours at work recently writing down our fixtures, allocating points etc...looking at City’s games , predictions , points required. I’ve not got a clue really but if we keep on winning City can do fuck all about it.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3171 on: January 25, 2019, 11:23:17 am »
I’ve wasted hours at work recently writing down our fixtures, allocating points etc...looking at City’s games , predictions , points required. I’ve not got a clue really but if we keep on winning City can do fuck all about it.

Time well spent then.  ;D

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3172 on: January 25, 2019, 11:26:24 am »
Everton's role in the title run-in is an irrelevance. They're a midtable side scratching around for points against the likes of Brighton and Burnley. The idea that they're somehow 'king makers' is baffling. They'll be 40+ points off the top come May.

Finally, some common sense.

City are just as likely to drop points there as they are in any other away against an average side - Not very.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3173 on: January 25, 2019, 01:00:51 pm »
Finally, some common sense.

City are just as likely to drop points there as they are in any other away against an average side - Not very.

I think the shite just might do them 1-0 then hate themselves forever for doing so.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #3174 on: January 25, 2019, 01:11:26 pm »
I think the shite just might do them 1-0 then hate themselves forever for doing so.  :)

If between that and possibly T-Rex we win the title by the requisite number of points the irony and fume will see levels never previously experienced.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3175 on: January 25, 2019, 01:16:35 pm »
They'll claim that they actually won the title.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3176 on: January 25, 2019, 01:21:31 pm »
^ & ^^

It's the taking part that counts.  ;)

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #3177 on: January 25, 2019, 02:28:23 pm »
They'll claim that they actually won the title.

the Everton Revenge-Seeking Beast will finally have its revenge, or something.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #3178 on: January 25, 2019, 02:36:50 pm »

There fans think like that i doubt professional footballers will do though
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3179 on: January 25, 2019, 02:41:35 pm »
This topic has been done to fucking death.

Some think Everton would throw the fixture, others, myself included, don’t.

What we can all agree on, however, is whether they do so intentionally or not, the chances are they will be shite and will get a beating, and if we win our games it won’t matter (especially if it is pushed back to late in the season.) carry on our current form and we may have won the title before Everton play them anyway.

Much ado about nothing.

Offline StockyRacistBannedTwat

• Main Stander
  • J'aime le rock progressif
« Reply #3180 on: January 25, 2019, 03:55:33 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
San Miguel,LFC and Prog Rock=The best place to be :)

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Kopite
« Reply #3181 on: January 25, 2019, 04:59:56 pm »
Man City play before us every week in March.  Sky and BT obviously wanting to put the pressure on

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3182 on: January 25, 2019, 05:19:16 pm »
Man City play before us every week in March.  Sky and BT obviously wanting to put the pressure on
Or we're a popular team, potentially about to win the title, and they want us on the telly as often as possible.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #3183 on: January 25, 2019, 05:21:11 pm »
Is it Wednesday yet

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3184 on: January 25, 2019, 05:59:50 pm »

Pressure.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3185 on: January 25, 2019, 06:04:21 pm »

Nice of them to give Spurs a break.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #3186 on: January 25, 2019, 06:04:37 pm »
Pressure.

You should try and enjoy our current position mate, we're top ;)
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3187 on: January 25, 2019, 06:19:26 pm »

What we can all agree on, however, is whether they do so intentionally or not, the chances are they will be shite and will get a beating, and if we win our games it won’t matter (especially if it is pushed back to late in the season.) carry on our current form and we may have won the title before Everton play them anyway.

Much ado about nothing.

Everton is a non-factor when it comes to deciding the title. They will just roll over to anyone except us.

Newcastle however has more credibility when it comes to the title race. Rafa could set the team up to become hard to beat even if they don’t score lots of goals.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3188 on: January 25, 2019, 06:28:56 pm »
I'd park the Everton concerns lads. If everything plays to form they'll be rolled over by both City and us.

Next week's fixtures are certainly intriguing ones. As I've said previously in here, hopefully Rafa can strangle the life out of City longer than the opening 15 minutes like most others seem to fail to do. For our part, Leicester is a tricky game, whilst they've had periods of being absolute toss this season, they've also produced results like the wins against Chelsea and City over Christmas.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3189 on: January 25, 2019, 06:37:18 pm »

I think they're desperate to even things up more so the title explodes, but our situation hasn't really changed that much. Whether we play first or after City the task remains the same, we need to win as much as possible. We just need to keep taking each match as it comes it's served us pretty well so far.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3190 on: January 25, 2019, 06:40:31 pm »
Lets just win every game that we have left and then after the season has finished we can start worrying about how Man City playing before us might put extra pressure on us.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #3191 on: January 25, 2019, 07:21:56 pm »

It makes no difference. We need to keep winning and they won't drop any points in any event.

If they do drop points we've got am even bigger incentive to win.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Red_19

• Main Stander
« Reply #3192 on: January 25, 2019, 07:22:50 pm »
Sky trying their hardest to make a real fuckin lot of a title race. What a joke that we play after them every game in March.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it - Rafa B.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #3193 on: January 25, 2019, 08:22:30 pm »

Much ado about nothing.
They won't throw the fixture- they'll just lose. It's what they do in big games.
They don't know another way.

Don't even spend time thinking about that match. It's going to be as irrelevant as a preseason friendly against Fleetwood behind closed doors.. on Astroturf! Don't do it to yourself mate.
I've not been interested AT ALL in any Everton match against any of our rivals for 4th or even the league since 2008, no matter their form.
I don't even bother looking at their results after such a match. I notice like a week or so afterwards.. "Oh, these lost over the weekend... what a surprise..."
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:36:38 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #3194 on: January 25, 2019, 08:24:43 pm »
They'll end up with a game in hand on us anyway because they'll have the League Cup Final. So it doesnt matter who plays first anymore. We keep winning and the gap will keep appearing bigger .
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:17:55 pm by AmanShah21 »

Offline diehard

• Main Stander
« Reply #3195 on: January 25, 2019, 08:26:43 pm »
Let's just enjoy the ride ;)

Sent from my Redmi 5A using Tapatalk

Offline Greebo62

• Matchday Project Manager. Amazingly Available! Apply within, ladies.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #3196 on: January 25, 2019, 08:49:40 pm »
We'll end up with a game in hand on them anyway because they'll have the League Cup Final. So it doesnt matter who plays first anymore. We keep winning and the gap will keep appearing bigger .

Think you've got that a bit the wrong way around.  They'll have a game in hand.. which is Everton.
Believe...

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #3197 on: January 25, 2019, 09:17:23 pm »
Think you've got that a bit the wrong way around.  They'll have a game in hand.. which is Everton.

That's what I meant. So essentially even if they play before us, as long as we win our games, they'll be looking to cut down deficit from 7 to 4 each week (with 1 less game played). Thats plenty of pressure.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3198 on: January 25, 2019, 09:20:10 pm »
On the flip side to the Sky schedule, they drop points and we get a mega incentive afterwards.

Works both ways however you look at it

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3199 on: January 25, 2019, 10:22:00 pm »
Fa cup QF 16 March. City v utd
down for that week. I guess one
of them will be in it.
mines a pint