Author Topic: #SHANKLY100 Bill Shankly..................... Genius ?  (Read 15653 times)

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bill Shankly..................... Genius ?
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2008, 08:55:34 pm »
I wish our leaders had his nous
One thing I appreciate is that our leaders have his discipline nous (albeit that it may alienate some players) but I do wish they also has his ability to affect a game during 90 minutes of play. That nous may have gifted us with a few more points.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2008, 08:56:55 pm »
One thing I appreciate is that our leaders have his discipline nous (albeit that it may alienate some players) but I do wish they also has his ability to affect a game during 90 minutes of play. That nous may have gifted us with a few more points.

I meant our political leaders :D
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

royhendo

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2008, 10:58:38 pm »
Vic I'm going to be honest. I'm no expert on English and composition so I can't comment on the technical aspects of your story. All i can say is that I've really enjoyed reading your story and would love to read more when you get chance to put pen to paper for the next installment.

Unfortunately your rare insight into some of the most glorious years in our club's history are sadly lost on all but a few of the people on this forum these days.

Good luck with the rest of your story, I for one will be glad to see the rest.

I'd second that - well said mate

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2008, 11:04:37 pm »
Vic I'm going to be honest. I'm no expert on English and composition so I can't comment on the technical aspects of your story. All i can say is that I've really enjoyed reading your story and would love to read more when you get chance to put pen to paper for the next installment.

Unfortunately your rare insight into some of the most glorious years in our club's history are sadly lost on all but a few of the people on this forum these days.

Good luck with the rest of your story, I for one will be glad to see the rest.

If those people who are in ownership of our club had any sense, they'd spend some time interviewing Vic, getting a few hours of memories on video, and then spend some time collaborating with him on his memoirs and co-publishing it to make sure every single aspect and memory of Shanks from his family members was remembered and recorded for posterity.

If they had any sense.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2008, 11:59:38 pm »
I meant our political leaders :D
Dya know what I thought you did when I was hammering the keyboard because I know you're quite pro Rafa mate. I had to say it anyway.

Offline GeeFJay

• aka 'Gazvinder Singh - Serial stalker.' Subject of a staffroom restraining order.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2008, 06:14:49 am »
Mr Gill, i refer to you in that sense as you command my up most respect, but i won't go into why I've been on RAWK since 3am on Christmas day and still here at 0600!

So its that time of the year again when for at least one day out of a whole year we can forget everything that has gone on in the world itself, in our hearts and at our mighty club and enjoy ourselves on what is Christmas day!

Right, with this spare time on my hands being up at silly o'clock i finally got round to actually reading your thread, i could of been a contender:-

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=115020.0

I must say this has been a remarkable read and have just loved reading about everything so far from your start in life right through to the birth of your 2nd daughter and now chapter 7 above, as echoed on this thread i do hope you or your nephew, The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society, can provide us with some more delightful reads about yourself as at Christmas, when my world stops for one day, your stories just make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside no matter what the rest of the year or even life can now bring.

by the way, your right, the archers are still going:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/archers/

I don't expect you to be on today but have a merry Christmas and a prosperous new year to you, all your family and also to all the mighty rawkites that make this forum so special, Bill Shankly definitely is a genius!

Gary
http://www.quidco.com/user/745087/

www.misternobody.co.uk

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html

banner stolen on pre-season tour 2009 'liverpool fc europes finest five star establishment'

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2008, 08:13:29 am »
I don't read football books, can't be arsed with them. (In fact, I haven't even read this thread. Will catch up in a minute).
But I read 2 books on Shankly. One is just called Shanks. I recommend you get it if you can. I don't know if it's still in print. And I haven't got it meself anymore. I lent it out and you know what happens there.
Anyway, it's brilliant. It starts off by telling of the great man's background, but then it goes on to be completely made up of interviews with people who knew him - and that's people from all walks of life, not just football.

What a fucking laugh it is. And I was surprised to find out that not everybody loved him. In fact, one or two couldn't stand him. But every single one of them had nothing but respect and admiration for him.
It really is a fantastic read. It's full of all the great old legendary stories, and all the old quips are in there. But there's some great stories I'd never heard before.

Peter Thompson, told this one. It was one of me faves....

Thommo was in the bath after the match with all the lads, and showing off. With good cause an all, he'd just played a blinder and scored a hat-trick.

Shankly stormed into the changing room and roared at Thommo... "My office now Son!"

Thommo shit himself. He says he was always terrified of Shanks. He leapt out the bath, got dressed without even getting dry, legged it to Shanks office, pulled himself together (Said he was proper shaking with nerves) and tapped on the door.

Shanks called him in, and beamed at him....
"Thommo. Thommo son. Come and sit down lad."

Thommo sat nervously at the desk.

Shanks...
"You was good today Thommo son. Unbelivable. A bloody marvel."

Thommo stopped shaking and said Thanks.

Shanks...
"Tell you what son, fast... fast... you was fast as a racehorse today Son."

Thommo now feeling good about himself....
"I was wasn't I boss?"

Shanks...
"Oh aye, son. And strong, you was strong as a bloody Carthorse Son."

Thommo, now made up with himself...
"I know Boss. I was great today. I felt really fast and as strong as a Carthorse."

Shanks....
"Aye. And your as daft as a bloody Rocking Horse an all lad! Now Get Out Of My Office! And you won't be playing next week you bloody idiot!"

Obviously that's not verbatim, but it's pretty much it word for word. What a loon the man was. I loved him as much as me own Dad, sometimes even more when the arl fella was acting up.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 08:22:04 am by FAT SCOUSER »
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2008, 10:30:16 am »
Just read the original post. That's great that Vic. Brought a laugh but also a lump to me throat. What a fella, eh.
And I hate to ask, but anyone reckon he was a wee bit bonkers an all?
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2008, 01:32:26 pm »
I set out with the idea of writing my life story for my children and grandchildren, so that they would know something about me. No it's not finished and i find the discipline of writing quite difficult.

The link below is for the first 2 chapters that my nephew posted on RAWK, I sent them to him for his opinion. If you read it please remember that this was just a draft and is not the finished article. I keep remembering things and have to go back and put them in, sometimes I think i might die before I get it finished and there are times when I hope i do.

I did not start it with the intention of trying to publish it but I have had some very nice comments from some of RAWK'S finest writers and i suppose if the opportunity arose I would consider it

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=115020.0

This link is for a book my daughter wrote about her grandfather.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=139429.0

Anyone who doesn't have Karens book should get it. It is brilliant.

Vic, we can't get enough stories about the Genius. Each one just makes him more immortal to us. But they do need to be shared. So I hope you continue your writing and have more gems for us.

All the best.  :wave
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • History is made so we never forget
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2008, 06:01:27 pm »
There you go Vic, you just have to finish the book. !!!    Every manager brings SOMETHING to their own team players , but Bill Shankly brought much more than that , he brought EVERYTHING to his team.  Your knowledge of him on a personal level, and  many memories you have of him, plus of course your own football and coaching career over the years  will im sure be just as interesting  reading as any other .
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 06:57:01 pm by flw »
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

royhendo

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2013, 09:30:46 pm »
Bump.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan