Author Topic: Maxi Rodriguez song and praise  (Read 203715 times)

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
Re: Well done Maxi Rodriguez+his song
« Reply #320 on: March 15, 2010, 11:22:05 am »
Yup I had the 88 team in mind when I was writing that...Kuyt and Maxi are very Kuyt like. Traditionally we have had hard workers on that right side - Craig Johnston, Houghton, Sammy Lee etc and on the left there was a bit more creativity and flair...Barnes, Whelan etc.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #321 on: March 15, 2010, 11:53:52 am »
Yup I had the 88 team in mind when I was writing that...Kuyt and Maxi are very Kuyt like. Traditionally we have had hard workers on that right side - Craig Johnston, Houghton, Sammy Lee etc and on the left there was a bit more creativity and flair...Barnes, Whelan etc.
I agree with you and barnsey. Although I'd say Maxi has better control and technique than Kuyt. But yes, like Kuyt, he can hold up the ball and apply pressure.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #322 on: March 15, 2010, 12:02:26 pm »
I've been quite impressed with some of the things Maxi has done. His crossing and touch is a level above anybody else we have on the right side. I don't like him as much on the left though as his crossing is not a weapon there.

I'd play him as a regular on the right side ahead of Kuyt at the moment. Although Kuyt has had a few good games this season most of them have been as a CF.

Right side is solid as far as I'm concerned, if Jovanovich can be the answer on the left it could be our attack sorted.   
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: March 15, 2010, 12:02:30 pm »
Sorry mate, your statement implies this and so I ask: Who would you consistently give a game to at the moment because the way they have played can be classified as "well" then?

If no one is playing particularly well, then you have to mix it up.  But to keep Maxi on for the full 75-90 minutes in every game since he's been here just seems odd to me given the way he's played.  Aquilani hasn't been afforded that opportunity.  Babel has never had it.  Etc etc.  So I'm perplexed as to why Maxi gets it, because it certaily can't be a function of how he's played.

But anyway, in Rafa I trust, so I'm there is a reason but I'm struggling to see it.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #324 on: March 15, 2010, 12:06:39 pm »
I'll defend this lad, because I appreciate his efforts and I think we've got a solid/reliable and skillfull player. Yes, I may be labeled the latest Kuyt/Maxi-whore, but I see his contribution amidst this madness. It's unfair that he's not being noticed while the likes of Babel, Kuyt and Yossi get shouts for doing bugger-all in these last few games('though Babel has performed a bit).

I still cannot believe that a player that has created a vital penalty out of bugger-all, delivered 2 on-the-plate cutbacks(after getting in behind the defense and the recipients were 1v1- and toe-to-toe- against the keeper- not his fault Torres and Ngog didn't have their boots on, he did what he was paid to do); has provided 2 good penetrating crosses/passes(just needed finishing touches), almost got on the scoresheet by getting himself into a good position(slipped in unnoticed on his debut) right next to the keeper, but ended up kicking the ball against the upper post(his debut in English football- I can excuse him), has not had more encouragement. Against Wigan, before Aqua came on, he was basically the only way we managed to get the ball out of our own half and traverse the midfield(apart form the hoofs) and he managed pretty well.

Instead, he looks ignored.
If he was a player who had arrived as a complete package- seasons in English football, familiar with English culture, had a "social- and support- network"(hate these bloody 'nice' 90's phrases), had been confident enough with the language, expressions, the teams and some of their styles of play, the league, refs, a few league clashes against us as rivals; then I would say he has not done well, but hell, the lad does not have that advantage and he has already done he's fair share in the last few games. If one or 2 of those chances were put away(they were sitters), we wouldn't have heard the end of it. The fact those chances were not put away cannot be billed to him- except his own missed sitter.

What's encouraging about all these chances and half chances are that in almost all of them, he has done his job and provided the final pass/cross(signed, sealed delivered, just needs a tap-in) and they were not once-offs, they were spread over his appearances. He's done decent and consistent, IMO and deserves a run. If everybody else can up their game, his contribution would become clear. I believe.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:18:17 pm by the_red_pill »
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: March 15, 2010, 12:07:01 pm »
If I had my way the team coming home for the season would have Aquilani, Babel & Maxi playing week in week out. They've probably been our best performers since christmas (other than Reina & Mascherano) when they've been on the pitch.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Madagascherano

• Anny Roader
  • And now you're gonna believe us..
« Reply #326 on: March 15, 2010, 12:11:00 pm »
Would like to see him and Aquilani start tonight. Doubt we'll see it though.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #327 on: March 15, 2010, 12:16:32 pm »

If no one is playing particularly well, then you have to mix it up.  But to keep Maxi on for the full 75-90 minutes in every game since he's been here just seems odd to me given the way he's played.  Aquilani hasn't been afforded that opportunity.  Babel has never had it.  Etc etc.  So I'm perplexed as to why Maxi gets it, because it certaily can't be a function of how he's played.

But anyway, in Rafa I trust, so I'm there is a reason but I'm struggling to see it.
Okay, I agree with you there then. He should at least get some playing(subs, starts-with-subs) time in each or most games. But yes, he couldn't be expected to play 90 minutes in most/all games.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #328 on: March 15, 2010, 12:23:59 pm »
If I had my way the team coming home for the season would have Aquilani, Babel & Maxi playing week in week out. They've probably been our best performers since christmas (other than Reina & Mascherano) when they've been on the pitch.
I agree with you Dan. Babel has been inconsistent, but has contributed with goals and assists but we all know he is a confidence player, so I would also have him in my time, if I had my wish. I'd sub Maxi from time to time, but he will play in every game.

Offline Tigerheart

• Carroll? He's shit. Henderson? Shit. Adam...shit.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #329 on: March 15, 2010, 02:49:33 pm »
To be fair, I would be happy if we used the left wing for a flair guy (Babel with Riera coming in at times) and the right wing for the solid worker (Kuyt and Maxi rotating).

Agree.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #330 on: March 15, 2010, 09:56:34 pm »
Another decent performance from Maxi. With Johnson, Aquilani and Torres around him he facilitates some tasty one touch footy down the right.

Offline mariov77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: March 15, 2010, 09:57:21 pm »
I do agree. With the team today he was very very good.
The past was amazing the future looks scary...

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: March 15, 2010, 09:58:03 pm »
He did very well.  Got involved quite a bit.  He is progressively getting better each match he plays.

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: March 15, 2010, 09:59:04 pm »
Very good tonight, linked well with the team

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: March 15, 2010, 09:59:24 pm »
Very good today, nice composed play for the assist and involved in alot of our best play going forward.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: March 15, 2010, 10:00:47 pm »
to think we sold voronin for cash and got maxi for free ;D

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #336 on: March 15, 2010, 10:02:11 pm »
Not really, its just you lot havent been watching our games properly and been looking for scapegoats, he's always played well. His movement has always been great, he's always looked for the ball on that right hand side and has always interlinked well. That was his 3rd assist of the season, and he should have had about 5 others as well if not for shit finishing by Torres and Ngog. He's actually added something to our game but not been noticed and Rafa's been criticised for playing, he adds unbelievable fluidity to our game.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: March 15, 2010, 10:16:09 pm »
Not really, its just you lot havent been watching our games properly and been looking for scapegoats, he's always played well. His movement has always been great, he's always looked for the ball on that right hand side and has always interlinked well. That was his 3rd assist of the season, and he should have had about 5 others as well if not for shit finishing by Torres and Ngog. He's actually added something to our game but not been noticed and Rafa's been criticised for playing, he adds unbelievable fluidity to our game.

correct

all you idiots that wrote him off after 2 games should hang your heads in shame

Offline torres09

• Main Stander
  • - Above us only Sky -
« Reply #338 on: March 15, 2010, 10:18:39 pm »
Thought he done well tonight. His touch is very good and he gets into some good positions,his best is yet to come.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #339 on: March 15, 2010, 10:20:00 pm »
Thought he done well tonight. His touch is very good and he gets into some good positions,his best is yet to come.

That I agree on, him and Torres seemed to link up well, i think him and Johnson are still trying to develop and understanding but Johnno's good enough and quick enough sometimes to make Maxi's mind up for him! Aquilani always looked for the quick give and go's off him and it worked a treat.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #340 on: March 15, 2010, 10:53:15 pm »
Put in a good shift was well impressed

Offline quinny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #341 on: March 15, 2010, 11:18:04 pm »
Looked very good tonight, earned a start for Lille imo (although I can see Rafa swapping him for Kuyt).

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: March 15, 2010, 11:19:04 pm »
correct

all you idiots that wrote him off after 2 games should hang your heads in shame

i have aimed a few sarky comments at him and to be fair to him he had a good game tonight.
it`s amazing how much better he looks with a few more attack minded players around him.
the same could be said about torres, gerrard, babel, aquilani etc as well, it`s not rocket science, get more footballers on the pitch instead of workhorses and we`ll actually start to play a bit of footy.
if the defense have to scramble every now and then so be it.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: March 15, 2010, 11:20:01 pm »
Looked very good tonight, earned a start for Lille imo (although I can see Rafa swapping him for Kuyt).

he's cuptied

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: March 15, 2010, 11:20:11 pm »
Would like to see him and Aquilani start tonight. Doubt we'll see it though.

:wave

Thought Maxi's all round play was great in the first half particularly and what a fucking fantastic ball over the top for Aquilani's volley aswell.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: March 15, 2010, 11:20:26 pm »
He is better going forward than Kuyt and with a decent work-rate...really understands the game well. I think he is an ideal complement to Babel on the other wing.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #346 on: March 15, 2010, 11:23:06 pm »
He was bang on in the first half. Has that same quality that Alonso has but in a more attacking position (like a Silva or Iniesta) in that he never seems to be more than 5 yards away from a teammate, and always ready to recieve the ball. The only time you see him away from a teammate is when he tries those runs in behind. The rest of the time he is a "reference point" for the guy on the ball. He just has obvious appreciation for his teammates, which too few of our players have shown this season.

Kudos to him for the assist as well. Simple though the pass was, I can think of plenty of good players who would still have swung the left boot at that, even after the loose first touch.

Has to be said though, all his better performances have come playing from the right.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: March 15, 2010, 11:25:25 pm »
Been critical of Maxi since he arrived because I felt he hadn't offered much but he was very good tonight. Control is very assured and he played a part in some terrific moves. Without question his best game in a red shirt to date. Let's hope he keeps it up.
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: March 16, 2010, 12:00:51 am »
Best player behind Aquilani tonight. Superb performance and I love his eagerness to get the ball. I agree about adding fluidity to the team, something I think Lucas was meant to add, but never really happened, or has yet to.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #349 on: March 16, 2010, 12:02:40 am »
Whenever he plays on the right he impresses me. Played very well tonight, intelligent footballer and deserves to keep his place.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: March 16, 2010, 12:07:10 am »
Stevie and Torres could have very easily scored on the passes he made to them.

Offline Gee, Stevie

• whinging aussie... why oh why oh why?....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nummer neunzehn, bitte
« Reply #351 on: March 16, 2010, 12:24:08 am »
Looked sharp tonight, did Maxi.  Loved his game, formed a great combination on the right with Johnson.  Can make a real difference having some sharp and clever movement off the ball, crisp passing, and clever distribution - we got that from Maxi and Aquilani, Babel gave us a different dimension too, although he can get easily lost in games.

If we manage to keep hold of our current squad and not add anyone, we've still got a lot of attacking talent.  Yossi and Maxi can play wide and buzz around the main front man, Torres.  Riera gives us a bit of width on the left and is great at holding onto the ball and keeping possession with some classy touches and passes.  Babel is not the most reliable and consistent performer, but has amazing natural talent to rip a game open - might be better suited to starting games against poorer teams and being an option off the bench in big games.  Kuyt can give us everything he's got either from the right or as a back-up option for Torres.  We all know about Gerrard and Torres.  Aquilani showed a real eagerness to get forward and help make something happen in the final third and we still have Jovanovic to through in the mix as another option.

That's pretty fecking good, isn't it?

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: March 16, 2010, 12:33:05 am »
Maxi's a very intelligent footballer. He knows where to be in each specific situation and almost always makes himself available to recieve the ball. He also looks very much at ease when playing one touch football so that's another huge plus point.
I will say he looks much more comfortable on the right and gets involved far more there then he does from the left.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #353 on: March 16, 2010, 12:36:16 am »
Looked sharp tonight, did Maxi.  Loved his game, formed a great combination on the right with Johnson.  Can make a real difference having some sharp and clever movement off the ball, crisp passing, and clever distribution - we got that from Maxi and Aquilani, Babel gave us a different dimension too, although he can get easily lost in games.

If we manage to keep hold of our current squad and not add anyone, we've still got a lot of attacking talent.  Yossi and Maxi can play wide and buzz around the main front man, Torres.  Riera gives us a bit of width on the left and is great at holding onto the ball and keeping possession with some classy touches and passes.  Babel is not the most reliable and consistent performer, but has amazing natural talent to rip a game open - might be better suited to starting games against poorer teams and being an option off the bench in big games.  Kuyt can give us everything he's got either from the right or as a back-up option for Torres.  We all know about Gerrard and Torres.  Aquilani showed a real eagerness to get forward and help make something happen in the final third and we still have Jovanovic to through in the mix as another option.

That's pretty fecking good, isn't it?

This is what I and a few others have been saying about Rafa not getting anywhere the best out of the squad at his disposal this season though. It's talented enough to be competing - no more than that. But it's the silly little things - Kuyt (and yes, I am a fan) starting every game on the right, meaning it's basically one of 3, or 4, to play on the left. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there has been a single game since they've been at the club in which Riera, Benayoun, Gerrard and Torres have started together, as a front 4. If they've all played together it's been because Kuyt is partnering Nando and one of the sitters has been missing.

The way I see it is that we've got Yossi and Maxi on the right, Riera and Babel on the left, and Gerrard and Torres up front with Kuyt able to fill any number of roles. He's a wonderful alternative option and good enough to start plenty of games. Making him a guarenteed starter in so many games however is just tying your own hands.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline barnseysleftpeg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: March 16, 2010, 12:37:17 am »
What has been evident from the start of Maxis time here is that he is a footballer.

I think sometimes we get too caught up in the "oh he's a wide player, so he's got to do this or do that"  Haven't Spain proved that a group of players who have an excellent touch and game intelligence will win more games than they lose.

I'm not saying that individual brilliance doesn't have it's place in football of course it does what I'm saying is if you get a group footballers who know how to play the game the right way positive results will follow

Johnson, Aquilani, Maxi, Gerrard and Torres all linked up superbly today each one letting the ball do the work.

All Maxi needs to do is start scoring to cap off some fine performances.  Is rapidly making the right side his own.

Offline Bangers N Masch

• Legacy Fan
  • Backing Hodgson.
« Reply #355 on: March 16, 2010, 12:52:03 am »
Much better tonight. Thought he was our best player alongside Aquilani. Played with real intelligence and his passing was superb. Very encouraging after a slow start, hopefully he can kick on.
'Nights like the semi-final back in 2005 live long in the memory of anyone who witnessed it, never mind me as an opposition player. That night has always stuck in my head and given me the desire to one day play in a red shirt and help the club return to its former glory days.'

Muted for 12 days for calling Rafa fat.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: March 16, 2010, 03:20:37 am »
Good performance. Having Aquilani and Johnson alongside him enables him to flourish.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: March 16, 2010, 05:55:08 am »
Sorry. Is he on loan or ours?
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: March 16, 2010, 06:02:33 am »
Looked good in a team that plays football.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #359 on: March 16, 2010, 09:07:00 am »
Uncanny ability to pick out a red shirt.

Even when he is high up the pitch and space is limited. 

And the passes aren't any old passes.  They are delivered to feet and with pace giving the recipient ample time to control and pick the next pass.