Author Topic: Pre-match thread: Brighton vs Liverpool, 12th January, 3pm  (Read 35403 times)

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
Re: Pre-match thread: Brighton vs Liverpool, 12th January, 3pm
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2019, 12:25:00 pm »
Brighton will not come out and play football.

They will sit back, press when needed and look to take chances with crosses or dead balls. We're going to have to be patient but I wonder if Klopp will let the shackles off a bit more for the next month as we're not playing 2 games a week?

Players will be chomping at the bit.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2019, 12:32:39 pm »

They will sit back, press when needed and look to take chances with crosses or dead balls. We're going to have to be patient but I wonder if Klopp will let the shackles off a bit more for the next month as we're not playing 2 games a week?

I'm not so sure, given our centre back situation, they might look to attack us and put us under a bit of pressure. Might be a blessing in disguise for us.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2019, 12:44:45 pm »

Allison

TAA              Fabinho           VVD            Robbo 

Hendo

Gini              Keita

Salah                           Mane
                            Firmino

I'd go with this.  One of Kieta's best games was away at Palace and this is a similar game.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2019, 12:57:14 pm »
Hopefully this being a 3pm KO will help us to focus, there won't be quite as much media interest as there is with a live game. Get in and out with the points I say.

Not sure we would go so attacking to play Shaq though obviously our options are limited if Fabinho plays CB which could mean the Hendo/Gini/Milner combo again.

This would've been a good match for Keita to play in but after Monday's performance, it may be better to bring him in a week later when we are at home.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2019, 12:57:14 pm »
I'd go with this.  One of Kieta's best games was away at Palace and this is a similar game.
Same and on Keita I'd give him 5 games in a row, in the same role and just say you have 5 games now to show what you can do.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2019, 01:28:42 pm »

Not sure what shackles we're talking about, we've faced sides like this all season, and while it doesn't guarantee that we will be successful again, our approach has gotten us in the position we're in. We'll have to be patient. It's not a coincidence that we've scored more goals after the hour mark than we have in the opening stages of the game

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2019, 01:33:09 pm »
Klopp will undoubtably pick the strongets team available, and from the known injuries and recent ilnesses afflicting the squad, I would expect the following lineout to start;

Mane  Firmino  Salah
Milner  Hendo  Wijnaldum
Robbo  VVD  Fabinho TAA
Ali

Bench to include Sturro, Shaq and Keita among others

BHA are a decent/organised side and have a good home record, but we should have the edge to win this. Especially with the recent 'slip' and the City maulings
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 01:34:58 pm by Red-juvenated »
Doubters to Believers

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2019, 01:33:47 pm »
Not sure what shackles we're talking about, we've faced sides like this all season, and while it doesn't guarantee that we will be successful again, our approach has gotten us in the position we're in. We'll have to be patient. It's not a coincidence that we've scored more goals after the hour mark than we have in the opening stages of the game

Precisely. Other than on the odd occasion we've been methodically breaking teams down with a ruthlessness you expect of side with ambitions on the league title. You don't have to score after 5 minutes, you don't have to blow them away in the first 20 - you just have to win. It doesn't matter if it's in the first minute, or in off the bar at 90+6, just get the result. I'm hoping we're nice and patient, enforce our will on the game and let our quality do the rest. If we do that, we should have far too much for them.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Cheesehead

• What the hell is Brett Favrrrvre doing here?
  • Main Stander
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2019, 01:48:51 pm »
I'm not being funny but are you ever hopeful about anything?

I find it hard to be positive about us in the league. I’ve set myself up for a fall too many times.

I’ve taken my knickers off now tho and put on my big boy pants.

1-4. Normal service resumed.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2019, 02:21:48 pm »
Klopp will undoubtably pick the strongets team available

Milner  Hendo  Wijnaldum
Thought the City game killed off that midfield trio for good?
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2019, 02:35:28 pm »
Main worry is the defence, it's getting a bit makeshift back there. The front three should be well rested enough to take the pressure off them though.

We play like we did against City, they get spanked. I have no worries about this one. The boys should be hungry.
This is the thing to remember. Nobody enjoyed that match, but the truth is that performance is good enough to beat most other teams in the league.

I find it hard to be positive about us in the league. I’ve set myself up for a fall too many times.

I’ve taken my knickers off now tho and put on my big boy pants.

1-4. Normal service resumed.
Post what you feel, don't edit your predictions because some users get upset by them.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2019, 02:39:01 pm »
Agree with the shouts for Keita to start.

I feel like he's on the cusp of an imperious performance, isn't it around this time last season that Ox really started clicking?

Offline hwieniawski

• Kopite
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2019, 02:39:31 pm »
Our performance will tell us a lot about this team, I think. Brighton are not going to be easy to beat, and we'll have to be disciplined in covering our defensive weaknesses, patience if we don't get an early goal, and intensity when we do up the pressure and tempo. There's a lot of pressure on the team, it's a tricky game, and a real chance for the team to prove that they can handle the pressure.
juve e liverpool amici per sempre

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2019, 02:41:05 pm »
Pretty much a fresh team which is a huge help at this stage of the season ahead of a busy schedule.

Alisson, Trent, VVD, Robbo, Wijnaldum, Hendo, Mane, Firmino and Salah all well rested and raring to go.

Let's get to work.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2019, 02:51:31 pm »
Same and on Keita I'd give him 5 games in a row, in the same role and just say you have 5 games now to show what you can do.
why would you say that to him? he's got a five year contract and Klopp knows exactly what he can do

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2019, 02:52:23 pm »
Pretty much a fresh team which is a huge help at this stage of the season ahead of a busy schedule.

Alisson, Trent, VVD, Robbo, Wijnaldum, Hendo, Mane, Firmino and Salah all well rested and raring to go.

Let's get to work.

For a minute I thought you were so confident you only picked 9 players in your team for Brighton..  ;D
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Cheesehead

• What the hell is Brett Favrrrvre doing here?
  • Main Stander
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2019, 02:52:36 pm »
Main worry is the defence, it's getting a bit makeshift back there. The front three should be well rested enough to take the pressure off them though.
This is the thing to remember. Nobody enjoyed that match, but the truth is that performance is good enough to beat most other teams in the league.
Post what you feel, don't edit your predictions because some users get upset by them.

I got a 24hr ban for doing that! 😂

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2019, 02:57:32 pm »
Brighton is missing 4 starters - including their starting keeper (cue backup having a woldie).  They will be playing for a draw.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2019, 02:57:52 pm »
Thought the City game killed off that midfield trio for good?
That game where we went toe to toe with City and could of won but for the bounces off a post? We also dominated Napoli and PSG at Anfield playing that midfield.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 02:59:37 pm by MerseysideBrum »
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2019, 03:03:57 pm »

as per usual

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2019, 04:01:14 pm »
That game where we went toe to toe with City and could of won but for the bounces off a post? We also dominated Napoli and PSG at Anfield playing that midfield.

That midfield works in certain situations, it would be really redundant to play that midfield against a side that will sit back. You need creativity in midfield you need someone to balance it out. Wijinaldum is a certainty. If we play with a double pivot, it's not going to be Milner and Wijnaldum because Milner doesn't excel in a two. That leaves Henderson or Keita. If we play with 3 midfielders, either Keita needs to come in or Shaqiri needs to come in and Firmino drop back into the midfield.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2019, 04:04:04 pm »
Brighton is missing 4 starters - including their starting keeper (cue backup having a woldie).  They will be playing for a draw.
Who are these 4 starters?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Perseus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2019, 04:11:07 pm »

Brighton play deep defence, selective pressing, and have improved their set pieces this season (worst in the PL last season, attack and defence). Deep defence means when they lose the ball they do not press to regain it, but fall back in the shape of a six man defence and concede possession. Coutinho, Firmino and Can caused all the damage last season.

Brighton are missing first choice Ryan (GK), Izquierdo (LW), Bernardo (LB) second choice Jahanbakhsh (RW).

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2019, 04:13:05 pm »
Who are these 4 starters?

Sorry I typed to quickly - not sure if they were all starters -

But Ryan, Jahnbaksh, Izquierdo and Bernardo are the players missing. Ryan is starter, the other three play often enough.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2019, 04:19:38 pm »
Brighton play deep defence, selective pressing, and have improved their set pieces this season (worst in the PL last season, attack and defence). Deep defence means when they lose the ball they do not press to regain it, but fall back in the shape of a six man defence and concede possession. Coutinho, Firmino and Can caused all the damage last season.

Brighton are missing first choice Ryan (GK), Izquierdo (LW), Bernardo (LB) second choice Jahanbakhsh (RW).

A strong argument for playing Shaqiri then as an additional, long range, threat.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2019, 04:35:47 pm »
A must win game for sure.
Believer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2019, 04:40:59 pm »
A strong argument for playing Shaqiri then as an additional, long range, threat.

Yes absolutely.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2019, 05:09:05 pm »
Yep. He's been deployed against park the bus teams, along with the usual front three, and it's worked so far. I don't recall if we have done so away from home, though.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2019, 05:45:51 pm »
Yep. He's been deployed against park the bus teams, along with the usual front three, and it's worked so far. I don't recall if we have done so away from home, though.

Watford,Bournemouth,Burnley recently I believe

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2019, 05:50:56 pm »
I didnt know City play Monday.

Would be nice to get the gap to 7 again for 2 days at least.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2019, 06:19:05 pm »
I didnt know City play Monday.

Would be nice to get the gap to 7 again for 2 days at least.
See, that's the key for me

Put it back to 7 points and it festers for a few days. they won't be able to slip up.

War of attrition here - every time we play before them  - even for a couple of hours or days (someone will do an analysis of the run in!) then if we keep putting it to 7 (or more), it'll tell. 7pts is a three game swing, even if they have one game in hand. Let's keep that gap (hopefully extend it) and get to 10 games to go... then 9...8... Wow. Talking like that could happen is scarily exciting

This is how you win leagues. Every time we win the pressure on us lessens and pushes onto them - they have to throw caution to the wind and not drop any more points. Take the advantage Redmen. Do Brighton (no axe to grind Brighton fans, but this is business) and sit back with a beer and watch what happens with City.

Am loving this whilst at the same time finding it hard to breathe with anxiety! Never felt like this even in 2014!!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:21:39 pm by Kennys from heaven »
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2019, 06:25:53 pm »
Biggest test for us here is that we have lost 2 games on the trot and we have one fit centre-back out of 4.

Forgetting seasons gone by this season we have not had to deal with pressure like that to respond. We are top of the table and that is also another factor to add in

Its great tho. Its an opportunity to show the rest of the league that we aren't scared of what's ahead but we are relishing the challenge! I actually think City battering teams in the last couple of games will be a nice motivator to that too.....so you wanna do that? great. We will win this, pick up the points and then what?

We are in the driving seat and I think Klopp is the sort of guy that loves this sort of challenge and the way he has shaped up the squad and his voice in their ears goes a lot further than anybody else's so I'm hoping that reflects on what we see on Saturday

Not quite sure why people are making such a big deal of the second defeat, as it was hardly the normal team we picked that night. We had a sixteen year old in defence, with other changes as well. While it's true we need to have a reaction, our strongest team have always come back strongly after a defeat and I don't think it will be any different this time.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2019, 06:53:45 pm »
See, that's the key for me

Put it back to 7 points and it festers for a few days. they won't be able to slip up.

War of attrition here - every time we play before them  - even for a couple of hours or days (someone will do an analysis of the run in!) then if we keep putting it to 7 (or more), it'll tell. 7pts is a three game swing, even if they have one game in hand. Let's keep that gap (hopefully extend it) and get to 10 games to go... then 9...8... Wow. Talking like that could happen is scarily exciting

This is how you win leagues. Every time we win the pressure on us lessens and pushes onto them - they have to throw caution to the wind and not drop any more points. Take the advantage Redmen. Do Brighton (no axe to grind Brighton fans, but this is business) and sit back with a beer and watch what happens with City.

Am loving this whilst at the same time finding it hard to breathe with anxiety! Never felt like this even in 2014!!

We play before them for the next two games, then they play on Tuesday 29th, and we play on Wednesday 30th. And that Tuesday game is only two days after their previous PL game.

Then in Feb we start off with a Monday game, with them playing the day before. The next PL game for us is the following Saturday, then they play Sunday. They are schedule to play the following Saturday, but it's the league cup final, so that will be postponed. We'll be playing on Sunday against Manchester Untied.

If it's all even stevens up until they last weekend, that's when we can open a gap up, because of their game in hand until the Everton game gets rescheduled.

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2019, 07:53:16 pm »
Excellent. They'll have to play goalie in and out.

I think all teams should do that, much more fun. This Premier League football thingy is just shite!
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2019, 07:53:36 pm »
Isn’t “Cheesehead” a derogatory term for Dutch people?

French people surely ...
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2019, 07:53:57 pm »
2-0 will also do. Or 3 or 4. I'll take anything.

Cheeky bum sex?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2019, 08:03:48 pm »
French people surely ...

people from wisconsin? packers fans - but they like it.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2019, 08:32:04 pm »
Solly March is decent. He provides good service for Murray. If we can stop him from doing that, then Virgil will take care of the rest with Murray as well. They'll look to exploit us at the back. Expect free kicks from their half to get pumped into our penalty area.

Offline toe punt

• Anny Roader
« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2019, 08:46:22 pm »
There's no reason why after conceding 10 goals in 21 games and a max of two in one game coming in Man City we should collapse with almost our strongest side available bar Fabinho dropping into central defence. Brighton are pretty average in all departments so provided they don't score worldies or we forget how to score we should put them to the sword.

2-0 to the reds.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2019, 09:02:36 pm »
Last season, we beat them 5-1 with Wijnaldum and Emre Can as centre backs.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.