Author Topic: Pre-match thread: Manchester United vs Liverpool  (Read 35473 times)

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Pre-match thread: Manchester United vs Liverpool
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2022, 07:00:31 pm »
Let’s see if it actually goes ahead….

What are you planning?

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2022, 07:00:35 pm »
We are miles better than them, so we should win well, but then again, we are miles better than Fulham and Crystal Palace...

So it all boils down to what we are able to show on the night. If we play to our level, or anything close to that, we will win, even with injuries and suspension. On their end, clearly they have a lot of problems, but there's nothing like the biggest and best coming to town to give you some focus.

I expect their fans to try to get it called off, but hopefully the police will be out in force to ensure a safe environment in, and especially around the ground. For any match going reds on here, keep your wits about you and stay in groups. There's a toxic nature around Man Utd at the moment, and there's always plenty of dickheads ready to cause trouble.

I would definitely play Diaz on the left and Salah on the right. If Bobby is fit he gets the nod in the middle, and if not, I would play Carvalho there as a false nine type. I suspect they will share the minutes, with Bobby starting and giving us what his current fitness allows, say 60 mins, and Carvalho coming in to finish the job off.

It was nice to see Joe Gomez last time, and I would play Robbo, Virg, Joe, and Trent across the back line. 

Midfield is a tricky one. Elliott has looked good and deserves to start. If Keita is fit he will stake a claim, but I'm not sure I like Keita and Elliott in a midfield three together, so maybe Keita will come in at some point if Harvey starts to tire?

If Henderson is fit he should start, and I like him in the 6 more than the 8 these days, although if Fabinho is fit and on form, he should get the nod as the 6. The midfield is the trickiest part to pick at this stage for me, but it will probably be Fabinho, Henderson and Elliott.

No matter what team we play, I hope we see the level of play start to go up as we get closer to what we can do. The first two games saw some glimpses, but also too much sloppy stuff. If we play our football we will win, and comfortably too.

PS - very nice opening post, sorry I forgot to say at the outset. Really whetted the appetite, cheers!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 07:06:48 pm by G Richards »

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2022, 07:02:43 pm »
Let’s see if it actually goes ahead….
It will now. They will feel they have a chance now so will allow the game to go ahead.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2022, 07:06:09 pm »
Allison

Trent
Gomex
VVD
Robertoson

henderson
Keita
Milner

Diaz
Firmino
Salah

Think that was the midfield that dominated Man Utd last year, I'd play it again

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2022, 07:22:48 pm »
Anything less than a comfortable 3-0 and I’ll be disappointed. We’re not yet as lethal as we were when putting 9 past them to no reply last season, but then they’re even more of a shambles currently.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2022, 07:33:00 pm »
We are miles better than them, so we should win well, but then again, we are miles better than Fulham and Crystal Palace...

So it all boils down to what we are able to show on the night. If we play to our level, or anything close to that, we will win, even with injuries and suspension. On their end, clearly they have a lot of problems, but there's nothing like the biggest and best coming to town to give you some focus.

I expect their fans to try to get it called off, but hopefully the police will be out in force to ensure a safe environment in, and especially around the ground. For any match going reds on here, keep your wits about you and stay in groups. There's a toxic nature around Man Utd at the moment, and there's always plenty of dickheads ready to cause trouble.

I would definitely play Diaz on the left and Salah on the right. If Bobby is fit he gets the nod in the middle, and if not, I would play Carvalho there as a false nine type. I suspect they will share the minutes, with Bobby starting and giving us what his current fitness allows, say 60 mins, and Carvalho coming in to finish the job off.

It was nice to see Joe Gomez last time, and I would play Robbo, Virg, Joe, and Trent across the back line. 

Midfield is a tricky one. Elliott has looked good and deserves to start. If Keita is fit he will stake a claim, but I'm not sure I like Keita and Elliott in a midfield three together, so maybe Keita will come in at some point if Harvey starts to tire?

If Henderson is fit he should start, and I like him in the 6 more than the 8 these days, although if Fabinho is fit and on form, he should get the nod as the 6. The midfield is the trickiest part to pick at this stage for me, but it will probably be Fabinho, Henderson and Elliott.

No matter what team we play, I hope we see the level of play start to go up as we get closer to what we can do. The first two games saw some glimpses, but also too much sloppy stuff. If we play our football we will win, and comfortably too.

PS - very nice opening post, sorry I forgot to say at the outset. Really whetted the appetite, cheers!
Ironically, the same thing applies to 99.9% of the teams that we'll face. Only City have the personnel and the mentality to play an open game against us. Could we imagine saying this a few years ago? No chance

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2022, 07:36:22 pm »
On a sidenote why are we playing 2 consecutive Monday nighters?
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2022, 07:50:32 pm »

Global TV audience. Monday night as a stand alone game attracts a lot of revenue. We are a massive draw for the TV audience. Once the CL resumes we can't play on a Monday, so the TV companies are filling their boots early on, while they can.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2022, 09:56:02 pm »
Global TV audience. Monday night as a stand alone game attracts a lot of revenue. We are a massive draw for the TV audience. Once the CL resumes we can't play on a Monday, so the TV companies are filling their boots early on, while they can.

That's pretty interesting, didn't know that... sign of our ever increasing appeal due to success then...sweet
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline Saus76

• Complete and utter embarrassment
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2022, 10:50:47 pm »
They are in alot worse shape than us and the pressure on them will be immense. Get an early goal and their fans will turn and we could win big again. A return to type with Bobby, Salah and Diaz up front with Keita alongside Henderson and Fab.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2022, 11:06:37 pm »
Even with a home crowd behind them, and it essentially being their biggest fixture of the season, I still can't see them mustering the luck or guile to outscore us

Even in third gear, we're still a notoriously hard team to beat. Our current unbeaten streak proves that

We'll put 2 or 3 past these easily. No amount of home support changes the fact they're an absolute shambles defensively
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2022, 11:11:52 pm »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2022, 11:12:54 pm »
Even with a home crowd behind them, and it essentially being their biggest fixture of the season, I still can't see them mustering the luck or guile to outscore us

Even in third gear, we're still a notoriously hard team to beat. Our current unbeaten streak proves that

We'll put 2 or 3 past these easily. No amount of home support changes the fact they're an absolute shambles defensively
We have to be really bad for them to beat us.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2022, 11:17:06 pm »
More dropped points would be an absolute disaster.  Please win.  And no more injuries ffs.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2022, 04:40:11 am »
+ manchestereveningnews.co.uk: Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag considering dropping Harry Maguire vs Liverpool FC

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is giving serious consideration to dropping captain Harry Maguire for the visit of Liverpool on Monday.

Maguire started in both of United's defeats to Brighton and Brentford and new centre-back signing Lisandro Martinez was hooked at half-time with United 4-0 down at the Community Stadium.

However, the Manchester Evening News understands Ten Hag is mulling over the prospect of starting the £55.3million Martinez with Raphael Varane, who will almost certainly be recalled.

Dressing room sources say some United players feel Ten Hag's approach does not suit their skill set and they would favour a more pragmatic approach against Liverpool.

Liverpool inflicted a 5-0 thrashing of United at Old Trafford last season and pummeled them 4-0 at Anfield six months later.

- Samuel Luckhurst, Chief Manchester United writer, 13:14, 17 AUG 2022 -

It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2022, 05:50:21 am »
hate monday games

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2022, 07:08:23 am »
Come on Redmen!!
Thoughtful op thanks mons. Have to say I was looking forward to Nunez against them. I can understand them dropping Maguire with our likely front three being small. Hope Jota makes it back. Gomez was one of a few bright sparks on Monday so he is sure to start.
TAW was a really interesting review of our tactics going forwards this season with Nunez and highlighted some genuine concerns. Hope our front three play closer together against these whoever is alongside Diaz and Salah.
Have to believe we will this.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2022, 07:41:03 am »
These are getting a kicking. No two ways about it

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2022, 08:26:12 am »
+ manchestereveningnews.co.uk: Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag considering dropping Harry Maguire vs Liverpool FC

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is giving serious consideration to dropping captain Harry Maguire for the visit of Liverpool on Monday.

Maguire started in both of United's defeats to Brighton and Brentford and new centre-back signing Lisandro Martinez was hooked at half-time with United 4-0 down at the Community Stadium.

However, the Manchester Evening News understands Ten Hag is mulling over the prospect of starting the £55.3million Martinez with Raphael Varane, who will almost certainly be recalled.

Dressing room sources say some United players feel Ten Hag's approach does not suit their skill set and they would favour a more pragmatic approach against Liverpool.

Liverpool inflicted a 5-0 thrashing of United at Old Trafford last season and pummeled them 4-0 at Anfield six months later.

- Samuel Luckhurst, Chief Manchester United writer, 13:14, 17 AUG 2022 -

Surely you can't drop your captain for the biggest game of your season so far?

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2022, 08:27:37 am »
Come on Redmen!!
Thoughtful op thanks mons. Have to say I was looking forward to Nunez against them. I can understand them dropping Maguire with our likely front three being small. Hope Jota makes it back. Gomez was one of a few bright sparks on Monday so he is sure to start.
TAW was a really interesting review of our tactics going forwards this season with Nunez and highlighted some genuine concerns. Hope our front three play closer together against these whoever is alongside Diaz and Salah.
Have to believe we will this.
We have to believe. If we win this, we can move on from our first two games.

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2022, 09:13:27 am »
United away is a massive fixture and last season was probably an anomaly. Given our shaky starts to games this could be a tough tough fixture, if we concede first it will be a long evening.

A hard fought ugly win will do for me. Cant see it being anywhere close to last seasons result.

Offline Snusmumriken

• Kopite
  • Don't believe everything you think
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2022, 09:15:41 am »
Why are we getting all the odd match times at the beginning of this season?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2022, 09:58:26 am »
We probably won't do it, but I would focus most of our attention at keeping it tight at the back. It's a simple calculation, we are more likely to keep them from scoring and will probably have enough on the other end to penetrate their shaky defence. So solid and compact in midfield, make them work (which they seem alergic to) and wait for an opening.

Due to our opening results this is now a game we really need to win, same goes for them - so it will be tight and ropey. We need to keep our composure and put constant pressure on them - I'm sure they will crack, hope they will crumble.

Offline Anfield14

• Kemlynite
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2022, 10:08:27 am »
Anything less than a comfortable 3-0 and I’ll be disappointed. We’re not yet as lethal as we were when putting 9 past them to no reply last season, but then they’re even more of a shambles currently.

Talk about entitled, some of our supporters need a reality check!!

I remember going the game and getting battered every time by these, a win is a win against this lot and don’t forget it.

Yeah United’s problems are evident to all, however they’ll be up for this one and they do have players that on there day can match anyone.

Hey we might smash them and I hope we do but our history at the toilet isn’t the best.

….for the record I’d be ecstatic with a 1 nil own goal win

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2022, 10:10:30 am »

Because the TV companies are shithouses
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2022, 10:11:12 am »

If you wouldn't be happy with beating the Mancs 1-0 at their place then you're on crack
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2022, 10:11:21 am »

I remember going the game and getting battered every time by these, a win is a win against this lot and don’t forget it.

Yeah United’s problems are evident to all, however they’ll be up for this one and they do have players that on there day can match anyone.

Hey we might smash them and I hope we do but our history at the toilet isn’t the best.

Any win would do. We need the 3 points to kickstart our season.

Offline Nyx

• Kemlynite
  • Has Gomez scored yet?
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2022, 10:13:19 am »
Unfortunately this has turned into a must win. Hope Bobby has recovered enough to start.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2022, 10:36:47 am »
Just hope Firmino is fit enough, Cos neither Salah or Diaz has started down the middle for a while. Carvalho can play down the left and Diaz can play center perhaps....but ideally, Firmino is the one.

Squads starting to look a bit thin, hope we have Gomez 100% too and I have no idea whats going on with Matip.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2022, 11:09:21 am »
Head's already all but gone for this. Incredibly nervous. There's not one of their players I'd have in our team, even in the injury crisis we're in at the mo...but it's them. It's hard not to be twitchy.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2022, 11:28:16 am »
Must win.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline BigCDump

• Kopite
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2022, 11:38:01 am »
If I had a gambling account I would put a reasonable amount on us conceding the first goal of the game.

We'll probably go on to score a handful after that though.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2022, 12:46:38 pm »
If Bobby isn't fit, I wonder if we'll see a change of shape? 4-2-3-1? Trent, Gomez, VVD, Robbo, Fab, Hendo, Diaz, Carvalho, Elliott, Salah.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2022, 01:04:31 pm »

No they don't  ;D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2022, 01:06:48 pm »
I think everyone is forgetting just how poor this lot actually is. Yes, we have been 'off' in the two games this season. However, those came against teams where all their players worked hard and followed plans outlined by their respective managers. Fulham came at us, played well and absolutely ran themselves into the ground. Palace parked the bus, looked to hit us on the counter, ran themselves into the ground, and we still missed several chances.

This United team doesn't have hard work in it. It doesn't have the capability of parking the bus and if it has a go like Fulham, it will leave huge swathe of space. They have a new manager and already it looks like the team can't be arsed working for him. Sure, they might score first and get their pit rocking but these don't have the discipline to defend well for 60 minutes let alone 90, and if they fall behind, they're as likely to give up as not.

As for this being a derby and them providing a 'reaction' after a bad loss, they lost 4-2 to Leicster last season before playing us at OT and turned in a truly pathetic performance. It may not be a thrashing and we may have to work for it, but I've little doubt we'll win.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2022, 01:08:28 pm »

Our last 2 games there have resulted in 4-2 and 5-0 wins. Whatever 'fear' factor we had is gone, at least amongst this group of players.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2022, 01:14:36 pm »
Lisandro Martinez, do you all think he will start?
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2022, 01:15:45 pm »
Lisandro Martinez, do you all think he will start?
Doubt it.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2022, 01:16:22 pm »
Our last 2 games there have resulted in 4-2 and 5-0 wins. Whatever 'fear' factor we had is gone, at least amongst this group of players.
True but we aren't in top form at the moment.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2022, 01:19:45 pm »
I’d take a 0-1 , 97 min Og