Author Topic: Bladerunner 2.  (Read 30742 times)

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
Re: Bladerunner 2.
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2011, 09:10:51 pm »
I haven't seen this in years, actually, never have seen the final cut. Is it on bluray? I may have to pick it up.

It is, but if you buy it do so knowing that at some point there's going to be a better version.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline CarlitoB

• [color=white]CT fucked about with in unoriginal manner.[/color] Likes to brew up a storm in a teacup... (no one died in the making of this CT)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2011, 09:12:21 pm »
I haven't seen this in years, actually, never have seen the final cut. Is it on bluray? I may have to pick it up.

Yep, it's on Blu-ray, and I reckon The Final Cut really is the definitive version.
"God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2011, 09:12:59 pm »
It is, but if you buy it do so knowing that at some point there's going to be a better version.
No doubt about that.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2011, 11:47:14 pm »
This has the stink of bullshit, how vague is that story? I don't think it will ever get made.

Anyway, this would be pretty interesting if it was sidequel or whatever like Prometheus will be. I have no desire to see anymore of Deckard's story but I would like to see the kick-murder squads, the Tanhauser Gate and 'basic pleasure models' ;) and they should call it Off World as well.

Although if it's a prequel it may come out very close to the year it would be set in, Bladerunner is set in 2019.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Driver 8

• ...take a break
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2011, 10:27:52 am »
I didnt notice much difference between Final Cut and Directors Cut (tho not like i watched them back to back). No need for a sequel, the story was finished, nearly 30 years have passed since, just leave it.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2011, 12:03:43 pm »
The story in today's Guardian:New Blade Runner film to be directed by Ridley Scott

It seems that sequels or remakes are the new black in Hollywood. Cannot believe there are no science fiction scripts that Ridley Scott could make out there, other than this?

The fact he is making it means it might be good, just like Prometheus but I was saying to a mate the other night; why is it every fucking new release has to based on something else or a sequel? Are audiences meant to be that stupid?

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2011, 06:12:21 pm »
So will he be remakesequelrebooting Legend after this?
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2011, 06:33:49 pm »

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2011, 06:36:38 pm »
I'll see how he fares with Prometheus before deciding on whether this is a good idea or not
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline pcch7

• Fuck off and do some work you lazy fops
  • Legacy Fan
  • There can be only one and he is I.
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2011, 01:49:34 pm »
I don´t really see the problem with this.. The worst thing that could happen is that they make a bad movie.. Blade Runner will still be there, exactly the same as before. The best thing could be something amazing and word on this "Prometheus" movie that Scott is making is that it´s going to be very good. So who´s to say that he can´t make a good sequel to Blade Runner? It obviously won´t have much to do with the original so it´s not gonna ruin anything.. Give it a go I say.
Don't fuck with Sheryl Crow. Or Russel Crow. Or the guy from the crow. Or crows.

Best staying away from Leslie Crowther, too.... just in case.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #50 on: November 5, 2011, 01:34:16 am »
I didn't realise that Scott is 74.

Ridley Scott Says He’ll Direct ‘Blade Runner’ Sequel

Film director Ridley Scott plans to film a follow-up to his groundbreaking 1982 film, “Blade Runner.”

In an interview, Scott said he is on board to direct a “Blade Runner” follow-up and has been interviewing writers who can help him with the screenplay. Scott says the new project is “liable to be a sequel.”

Scott, 74 years old, recently finished shooting the sci-fi movie “Prometheus” and is an executive producer of a new TV series on Discovery Communications Inc.’s Science Channel, “Prophets of Science Fiction.”

Earlier this year, production company Alcon Entertainment said it was planning a new “Blade Runner” project with Scott at the helm, but it didn’t reveal whether it would be a prequel or sequel to the original film.

“Blade Runner” devotees may not have to wait long for the new movie. “I think I’m close to finding a writer that might be able to help me deliver,” Scott says, “we’re quite a long way in, actually.”

The original film was inspired by sci-fi writer Philip K. Dick’s novel, “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” and told the grim story of Rick Deckard, a “blade runner” who hunts down “replicants” — androids who long to live free lives. Scott says Dick, who he says was “stressed” when he met him, found a romanticism in his pessimism. And similarly, “Blade Runner” didn’t offer a romantic view of the future.

“That’s why I think I was so unpopular” when the film was released, Scott says, because at the core of the film is a story about mortality. “Even though people think it’s a cool Philip Marlowe film with Deckard played by Harrison Ford,” he says, “the film is very much about humanity.”

Scott says the new “Blade Runner” project is moving ahead “not with the past cast, of course.” No Deckard? “No, not really,” he says.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/11/04/ridley-scott-says-he%e2%80%99ll-direct-%e2%80%98blade-runner%e2%80%99-sequel/
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 04:30:59 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31657466

Harrison Ford will reprise his role as police officer Rick Deckard in the forthcoming Blade Runner sequel, it has been confirmed.

Denis Villeneuve, who directed Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal in kidnap drama Prisoners, is in talks to direct.

The story takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 film, which was based on Philip K Dick novel Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?

The film is scheduled to start shooting in the summer of 2016.

The cult 1982 film, directed by Sir Ridley Scott, saw Deckard hunting down genetically engineered lifelike robots, known as replicants, in a futuristic Los Angeles, set in 2019.

The latest instalment - reportedly based on an idea from Scott, who will also produce the new film - has been written by Hampton Fancher, who co-wrote the original screenplay.

"We are honoured that Harrison is joining us on this journey," said producers Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson in a joint statement.

"Hampton and Michael, with Sir Ridley Scott, have crafted a uniquely potent and faithful sequel to one of the most universally celebrated films of all time, and we couldn't be more thrilled with this amazing, creative team."
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2015, 04:57:26 pm »

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #53 on: March 1, 2015, 10:55:10 pm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/825641.stm

No expiry date?

Yes, I had the same thought.

To be fair, Gaff did say "she won't live" and not "you won't live."

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #54 on: March 2, 2015, 11:51:23 am »
Yes, I had the same thought.

This destroys that ending, however you look at it.

The ending is a question for the audience, just like the film's dialogue begins with a series of questions for a troubled, confused, strong-but-vulnerable character; the film is full of questions that are not fully answered, that indeed are not fully answerable. It is a remarkable treatise on death, and what it means to be alive and human regardless of whether you're actually human or not. It is beautiful in its deliberate lack of answers. Giving the answers beyond any ambiguity in an obvious money-grab sequel is some fucking hack shit.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 3, 2015, 09:29:54 pm »
I wish they would write a script first and then decide if it's worth making. They seem to green light a movie and then decide to hire a writer. This seems to be the absolutely most guaranteed way to make a turd of a movie.

"We're making a movie!"

"Great what's it about?"

"Dunno, couple of writers are working on it. If I don't like it I'll hire another writer to fix it. It'll be grand."

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 3, 2015, 10:21:50 pm »
I wish they would write a script first and then decide if it's worth making. They seem to green light a movie and then decide to hire a writer. This seems to be the absolutely most guaranteed way to make a turd of a movie.

"We're making a movie!"

"Great what's it about?"

"Dunno, couple of writers are working on it. If I don't like it I'll hire another writer to fix it. It'll be grand."

I think it's probably more like:

"We have a high level concept for what Blade Runner 2 will be about."

"Great, hire a writer to make it happen."

Obviously it's riskier than having a final script ready to go at the time the movie gets greenlighted. But not necessarily a lot more risky. It's not as if they've already sunk hundreds of millions of dollars into producing the movie by the time the script is finished. If the script is a turd, they can always find someone else to re-do it. I'm sure this happens a fair bit.

Anyway, based on the people working on the project - Hampton Fancher and Denis Villeneuve, I'm a whole lot more optimistic about this than I am about the new Aliens movie. Prometheus was always doomed once Damon Lindelof came on board as the writer.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2015, 02:31:07 am »
Blade Runner 2: Ryan Gosling now confirmed

Ryan Gosling will definitely be taking the lead role in Blade Runner 2, and it'll be the next film he shoots...

UPDATE

Just to confirm, Ryan Gosling is now definite for Blade Runner 2. He has confirmed to Collider that it'll be the next film he's planning to shoot.

FROM SEPTEMBER

As part of his promotional work for the excellent The Martian, which arrives in UK cinemas tomorrow, Ridley Scott chatted to us about the movie, and moved onto discussing Blade Runner 2.

What we know about Blade Runner 2 thus far is that Denis Villeneuve is directing the film (following his successes with Prisoners and Sicario), Harrison Ford is returning, and that Ryan Gosling is likely to feature.

Chatting to us last week, Scott admitted that the excellent Villeneuve wasn't actually the first choice to direct Blade Runner 2. "It's a hard one", he said. "I asked somebody before, who I though would be right - I would rather not say who it is. He just said 'I'm not going to do that, I'm never going to follow through on that"'.

Scott also told us that " I spent the last two years writing what will be a sequel, and it’s done. I’m not doing it. Denis Villeneuve’s doing it, which I think is a good choice. Harrison [Ford] is in, and the other person - I’m not certain yet, but... I shouldn’t say who. But there’s somebody else who’s very good, very interesting. I think Ryan Gosling is probably going to do it, with Harrison".

Gosling had previously been rumoured for the film, but Scott seems to be suggesting there's substance to that rumour.

When we quizzed Sir Ridley if Gosling would be the central character, he said "yeah, yeah. I can’t really say more than that, because it’ll give away the story. But Harrison’s definitely in it. In an important way".

Make of that what you will.

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/blade-runner-2/37133/blade-runner-2-ryan-gosling-now-confirmed#ixzz3ro3nxJ8i

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2015, 11:42:26 am »
"Too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Just in case anyone has never seen the original and wants to.......
Spoiler

In the theatrical release, the voice over by Ford reveals that Rachael had no expiration date.

The origami unicorn that features in both versions is meant to represent Rachael's uniqueness but that suggests Gaff knew this, which in one way contradicts the message he was sending..........however, if you look at it from the viewpoint that he knew she had no expiration date, the message he was giving Ford was, "Everyone dies."

Now, interestingly, this is congruent with one of the central themes of the book - entropy (the other one of course being empathy). Gaff was jealous yet also realises that Ford's sense of 'victory' is tempered with nature's way of entropy - an emotional response then to the situation but with a nihilistic twist (which again is pretty prevalent theme through much of Dick's works - nihilism).
[close]

Anyway. Should be interesting. I am resisting my purist tendency as Blade Runner is my fave ever film and "...Electric Sheep..." is my fave ever book.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:44:06 am by 24/7 »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2015, 11:57:04 am »
"Too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Just in case anyone has never seen the original and wants to.......
Spoiler

In the theatrical release, the voice over by Ford reveals that Rachael had no expiration date.

The origami unicorn that features in both versions is meant to represent Rachael's uniqueness but that suggests Gaff knew this, which in one way contradicts the message he was sending..........however, if you look at it from the viewpoint that he knew she had no expiration date, the message he was giving Ford was, "Everyone dies."

Now, interestingly, this is congruent with one of the central themes of the book - entropy (the other one of course being empathy). Gaff was jealous yet also realises that Ford's sense of 'victory' is tempered with nature's way of entropy - an emotional response then to the situation but with a nihilistic twist (which again is pretty prevalent theme through much of Dick's works - nihilism).
[close]

Anyway. Should be interesting. I am resisting my purist tendency as Blade Runner is my fave ever film and "...Electric Sheep..." is my fave ever book.

Spoiler

It will be interesting because there were a fair few hints in the film (and the book) that Deckhard was a replicant himself (Which was why he was so good)

The Director and Actor both asked for the voice-over to be disregarded as it was only inserted by stupid producers - and that's why it was removed from the film on the 'Directors cut'

The book and the film also had different stories.

Great imaginging by Ridley Scott though.

Still pretty miffed that the architect of much of Cyberpunk William Gibson STILL hasn't had a decent film of the Sprawl series produced (We got Johnny Mnemonic which missed the point and was a bit duff) and a few other inroads, but without Gibson, it's unlikely that all the great Cyberpunk titles would have been so well realized (Obviously not taking anything at all away from Philip K. Dick, Bruce Sterling, John Shirley or Rudy Rucker and the others important in the field).

[close]

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2015, 12:03:20 pm »
Ah yes that old chestnut ;D - there was a great section of the book which dealt with what was effectively a parallel universe but in real time, as it were. I really enjoy that section of the book and it is a bit of a head fuck but I've always been slightly uncomfortable with the idea you remind us of in your spoiler.......

Spoiler
it just smacks a little of 'too convenient' and I'd like to think that the humanity angle trumps the replicant angle any day, which is another sort of central theme in both the book and the film. Empathy wins. It also calls into question whether 'love' is still 'love' if it's with a machine. Deckard fell in love with Rachael. The fact that he knew she was a replicant is the dichotomy. What was it Tyrell said? "More human than human, that's our motto!" Add in the fact that Pris was a "basic pleasure model", it's not hard to see that Rachael was a more advanced version of Pris and fulfilled the role intended - which was to cause a human to feel genuine empathy and fall in love.........anyway........am rambling now.........
[close]

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2015, 12:06:56 pm »
Ah yes that old chestnut ;D - there was a great section of the book which dealt with what was effectively a parallel universe but in real time, as it were. I really enjoy that section of the book and it is a bit of a head fuck but I've always been slightly uncomfortable with the idea you remind us of in your spoiler.......

Spoiler
it just smacks a little of 'too convenient' and I'd like to think that the humanity angle trumps the replicant angle any day, which is another sort of central theme in both the book and the film. Empathy wins. It also calls into question whether 'love' is still 'love' if it's with a machine. Deckard fell in love with Rachael. The fact that he knew she was a replicant is the dichotomy. What was it Tyrell said? "More human than human, that's our motto!" Add in the fact that Pris was a "basic pleasure model", it's not hard to see that Rachael was a more advanced version of Pris and fulfilled the role intended - which was to cause a human to feel genuine empathy and fall in love.........anyway........am rambling now.........
[close]

Spoiler

You'd probably enjoy Ex Machina mate, a very understated and yet gripping film. Simple, yet not..

[close]

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2015, 12:24:12 pm »
Spoiler
You'd probably enjoy Ex Machina mate, a very understated and yet gripping film. Simple, yet not..
[close]
Spoiler
Actually I do!!!!!!!!!! It's a brilliant film and in many ways channels much of the spirit of Blade Runner and in many ways is darker - certainly the ending. I love the ambiguity of the 'communication' between the androids in the final scenes. Ex Machinae reminded me a lot of how I felt when I first watched Blade Runner - okay the plots and characters are very different but there is a running theme throughout - design, empathy, agenda, emotions, nihilism.......
[close]

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2015, 12:32:31 pm »
Spoiler
Actually I do!!!!!!!!!! It's a brilliant film and in many ways channels much of the spirit of Blade Runner and in many ways is darker - certainly the ending. I love the ambiguity of the 'communication' between the androids in the final scenes. Ex Machinae reminded me a lot of how I felt when I first watched Blade Runner - okay the plots and characters are very different but there is a running theme throughout - design, empathy, agenda, emotions, nihilism.......
[close]

Spoiler

It's amazing - truly amazing that to this day there hasn't been an on-screen representation of Wintermute, Neuromancer and their 'outside' contacts

[close]

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #64 on: May 8, 2017, 07:14:08 pm »
Love the Atari nod to the first film at the beginning of the trailer.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/R5KoF48wk1U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/R5KoF48wk1U</a>

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #65 on: May 8, 2017, 07:28:51 pm »
Good spot that.

Looks really good. Gulleysucker said on the film thread about the music too. Tough challenge for them to meet expectations but I'm all for deliberations on the nature of humanity while killer robots are on the loose.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #66 on: May 8, 2017, 08:15:03 pm »
Love the Atari nod to the first film at the beginning of the trailer.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/R5KoF48wk1U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/R5KoF48wk1U</a>
wow!

It really feels like they'll make a boss job of this. let's hope so.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: May 8, 2017, 10:40:58 pm »
Looking good so far! Still a bit weird that Ford is just wearing a t shirt and jeans in 2049 though.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: May 8, 2017, 10:59:21 pm »
Gosling is a great actor isn't he?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: May 9, 2017, 04:26:28 am »
Gosling is a great actor isn't he?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

He's not that good, no. But he'll do a good job in the right role, and the right role for him is often in critically acclaimed movies.

I'm still not convinced that Villeneuve has the substance to support the style just yet. This will be another opportunity for him to demonstrate it.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #70 on: May 9, 2017, 09:58:25 am »
So looks great but it's going to make fuck all sense isn't it

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #71 on: May 9, 2017, 10:09:34 am »
He's not that good, no. But he'll do a good job in the right role, and the right role for him is often in critically acclaimed movies.

I'm still not convinced that Villeneuve has the substance to support the style just yet. This will be another opportunity for him to demonstrate it.

Really? The Arrival has more substance than most of Ridley Scott's films, his entire career.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #72 on: May 9, 2017, 10:58:37 am »
Really? The Arrival has more substance than most of Ridley Scott's films, his entire career.

In one... totally agree.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #73 on: May 9, 2017, 03:09:07 pm »
Yeah Arrival had plenty of substance, I can see why some may have felt bits were dragged out longer than they should have been... but come on :)

I can't see this having much substance, similar story to the first with a new baddie? I'll no doubt IMAX it.
:D

Online Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: May 9, 2017, 04:52:22 pm »
Looks great, only thing bothering me is that last line or two of the trailer, wish they'd left it out.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: May 9, 2017, 08:09:33 pm »

Harsh. Think he's proved himself capable in all kinds of films - Half Nelson, Drive and The Nice Guys are all different types of films requiring different types of performances and he's been great in each one. I haven't seen Young Hercules enough to have an opinion it.

This looks good though and Gosling's a great pick to be in it IMO.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: May 9, 2017, 10:52:05 pm »

Have to agree to disagree on Arrival. I think Arrival is about 4/5 of a GREAT movie, but the missing fifth is an important one. Essentially I think it delivers in spades aesthetically and conceptually, but lost its way in going for emotional payoff. Not Villeneuve's fault, because it's adapted from a short story (which I haven't read, so I'm only assuming that the adaptation was faithful).

Don't get me wrong, I think Villeneuve is maybe the most promising director out there. Sicario was a stunning film. Enemy was an even better one that deserves more of a cult following. But as for comparing him with Ridley Scott.. well I hope Villeneuve will one day be remembered for making movies as important and iconic as Alien, Blade Runner or Thelma and Louise. And it's a no small thing to say that I think he can. Scott has made a lot of shite in his career, but if you want to use a single movie as an example of substance, those two of Scott's movies on their own make him easily one of the most important sci-fi directors of all time (no mentions of Prometheus, please).

Harsh. Think he's proved himself capable in all kinds of films - Half Nelson, Drive and The Nice Guys are all different types of films requiring different types of performances and he's been great in each one. I haven't seen Young Hercules enough to have an opinion it.

This looks good though and Gosling's a great pick to be in it IMO.

Ah yes. Half-Nelson. The example everyone goes back to when arguing for Gosling's acting chops. Has he done anything remotely as good since?

Ryan Gosling is for me, the Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt of this generation. Handsome, charming, limited but effective in his acting range. Remember Tom Cruise once upon a time also did Collateral, which was a similar kind of role for him as Drive was to Gosling.

Don't get me wrong, he's a perfectly fine actor for the roles he gets. Not all movies require great acting, and some movies require passable acting by someone with charm and star power a lot more than they require great acting. And what's more, as I said, he chooses good roles for himself in good films. He values working with good directors on good projects. But Daniel Day-Lewis he ain't.

« Last Edit: May 9, 2017, 10:58:19 pm by Redcap »

Online Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2017, 04:12:28 pm »
I like Gosling as an actor and you're absolutely right that he has that charm and easiness that he carries through his roles, especially in recent times. It would have been amazing if he was up against an antagonist whose acting could elevate Goslin's performance to another level entirely. Something akin to Joaquin Phoenix against Philip Seymour Hoffman in The Master.

From the trailer, it seems like Leto might play the villain type character and I wonder if we're getting the Dallas Buyers Club version or the Suicide Squad version.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2017, 08:53:26 pm »
Ah yes. Half-Nelson. The example everyone goes back to when arguing for Gosling's acting chops. Has he done anything remotely as good since?

Ryan Gosling is for me, the Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt of this generation. Handsome, charming, limited but effective in his acting range. Remember Tom Cruise once upon a time also did Collateral, which was a similar kind of role for him as Drive was to Gosling.

Don't get me wrong, he's a perfectly fine actor for the roles he gets. Not all movies require great acting, and some movies require passable acting by someone with charm and star power a lot more than they require great acting. And what's more, as I said, he chooses good roles for himself in good films. He values working with good directors on good projects. But Daniel Day-Lewis he ain't.

But why not bring up Half Nelson? It was a film he was in and like you say, shows he can act. Besides which, I mentioned a couple of others which show he's able to act well in different types of films. He's come in the likes of Only God Forgives and The Ides of March too - I don't think anyone's compared him to Daniel Day Lewis but I think he's a much better actor than you're giving him credit for. Besides, I don't think Harrison Ford is particularly brilliant actor either but he was right for Deckard. Gosling, if anything and IMO will fit in well in this world.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2017, 02:42:54 am »
But why not bring up Half Nelson? It was a film he was in and like you say, shows he can act. Besides which, I mentioned a couple of others which show he's able to act well in different types of films. He's come in the likes of Only God Forgives and The Ides of March too - I don't think anyone's compared him to Daniel Day Lewis but I think he's a much better actor than you're giving him credit for. Besides, I don't think Harrison Ford is particularly brilliant actor either but he was right for Deckard. Gosling, if anything and IMO will fit in well in this world.

The movies you've provided are examples of him choosing the right movies and roles for him. I don't think he was especially brilliant in any of the above? Do you think he was?

Anyway, my original post was in response to the question: "Ryan Gosling is a great actor isn't he?"

Great actors are the likes of Lewis or De Niro. Taking time and long term achievement out of the equation, you could also include the likes Oscar Isaac, Michael Fassbender, Miles Teller, James McAvoy and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Ryan Gosling is not as good as those actors. He's good enough to do a good job in the movies he chooses, which are well suited to his limited range. And that's not a criticism. I like him as an actor, much in the way that I like Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt. That's not a criticism either. Those guys generally make good movies.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree :)