Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 127161 times)

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #320 on: November 14, 2017, 12:00:27 pm »
Yeah, very impressive half series. A two month wait for new episodes though  :(

Maybe still not convinced about the setting, style and over emphasis on war (again), but have to say they've executed t very well and have the most interesting group of characters since DS9. Would be good if they wrapped the war up pretty soon (or at least returned to a cold war scenario) and got onto other things.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #321 on: November 14, 2017, 01:00:29 pm »
Cracking episode.

I really hate mid season breaks.

Lorca is such a brilliant captain,my favourite character in the show.

Interesting article that cntains spoilers for the last episode. https://www.inverse.com/article/38355-star-trek-discovery-ending-finale-lorca-spore-jump-mirror-universe
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: November 15, 2017, 11:55:22 am »
Lorca is such a brilliant captain,my favourite character in the show.

Agreed. It's funny because Picard has always been my favourite captain and this guy is the complete opposite, but it helps give the show it's own identity and keeps things interesting.

Got around to watching Ep 9 last night and enjoyed it a lot. This is also the first Trek series that my wife is into as well which is a novelty. Shame we have to wait for the next one.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #323 on: November 15, 2017, 12:50:59 pm »
Lorca is boss, last episode spoilers below:

Spoiler
when he puts his eye drops in so he can see the Klingon ship blow up, what a fucking G!

The show does keep getting better, the character are interesting and now there is a real theory that Tyler is actually Voq and his PTSD is him remembering being altered to Human as a sleeper spy, as T'Rell tokld him he'd have to sacrifice everything... interesting take, I prefer the torture/rape PTSD purely cause it deals with real life issues which Trek deals with well at times just under a diff viewpoint, I think that would give Tyler's character more depth especially if he can be manipulated by his torturer due to the abuse, stockholm syndrome almost...

Either way, last two episodes were absolutely class
[close]

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #324 on: November 15, 2017, 01:25:23 pm »
Yeah, Google it, it's all over the web. Actually don't, it's brain-melting. ("Klingons are thinly disguised Trump supporters").

For example: https://youtu.be/aBb0hyuIfYQ

By the way, this guy seems Irish. He's not. I presume we have recinded his membership of our fine nation.
I knew who you were talking about before I even clicked on the link. The guys such a troll, he even wrote a book about it
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23353072-living-off-youtube

He's always trolling and fueling the trump supporters. Im pretty sure he is irish, and definitely is a twat

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #325 on: November 15, 2017, 11:11:16 pm »

What a great first half to Season 1. That finale had such fantastic pace and had so much plot and character development, as well as excellent action sequences. Add to that how well it looks and a quality cliff-hanger; overall top class.

As an aside, if (like me) you are a full-time commuter / part-time insomniac you might enjoy some of the Discovery companion podcasts. I've been listening to a few and would say:

Good:
Discovering Trek
Star Trek Discovery Pod RCRD
Phantastic Geek

Decent:
Lower Decks
The Greatest Discovery
TeeVee
DiscoTrek

Other:
Let's Watch (Pensky)
Synthaholics

Note, I enjoy some of these for how annoying they can be!

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: November 16, 2017, 02:50:03 pm »
Pretty decent so far. I like it. But again wish the cast was bigger. Still feels not quite large scale enough.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #327 on: November 16, 2017, 08:45:48 pm »
Is it as good as The Orville yet?

*ducks*
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #328 on: November 16, 2017, 08:58:07 pm »
Is it as good as The Orville yet?

*ducks*

Im enjoying both The Orville because It feels like old Star Trek and this because it makes Star Trek modern.

You can enjoy both just glad they both got 2nd series.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #329 on: November 16, 2017, 09:21:51 pm »
Im enjoying both The Orville because It feels like old Star Trek and this because it makes Star Trek modern.

You can enjoy both just glad they both got 2nd series.

I got bored of Discovery and never picked it back up. I noticed the reviews got more positive but it's not for me.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #330 on: November 16, 2017, 11:36:34 pm »
Pretty decent so far. I like it. But again wish the cast was bigger. Still feels not quite large scale enough.

Well the production is large scale given that the first season alone is 15 episodes at an reported US$6–7 million per episode.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #331 on: November 18, 2017, 09:10:19 pm »
This is really really good ...

Up to episode 7 so far...

Different form other Star Trek, but really interesting.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #332 on: November 23, 2017, 04:19:58 pm »
It has been confirmed for a second series.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #333 on: November 23, 2017, 04:22:17 pm »
It has been confirmed for a second series.

Think you're about a month behind the news mate  ;D

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #334 on: November 24, 2017, 11:27:27 am »
Think you're about a month behind the news mate  ;D
Deep space 9 has been cancelled as well

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #335 on: November 28, 2017, 07:36:24 pm »
 Entertainment Weekly‏Verified account @EW

William Shatner has blocked #StarTrekDiscovery’s Jason Isaacs on Twitter: http://share.ew.com/vNwxswo

Jason Isaacs‏Verified account @jasonsfolly

I've been blocked by @WilliamShatner. The unkindest cut of all. In what way have I broken the prime directive Captain? Was it the end of sentence minor-key uptick? The quizzical eyebrow (and blue eyeliner)? The just too-tight uniform? Forgive me my sins - it's an homage, I swear.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:40:37 pm by Trada »

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #336 on: December 10, 2017, 07:42:02 am »
Quentin Tarantino And J.J. Abrams Are Making An R-Rated 'Star Trek'

Boldly going where no "Star Trek" film has gone before.

Deadline and The Hollywood Reporter both confirmed earlier this week that directors Quentin Tarantino and J.J. Abrams are in talks to develop a “Star Trek” film.

Deadline is now reporting that Tarantino requires the film carry an R rating, consistent with what one would expect of a Tarantino film. Both Abrams and Paramount have apparently agreed to the demand, potentially going where no one has gone before with “Star Trek.”

No plot details have been revealed, but “The Revenant” screenwriter Mark L. Smith is said to be the frontrunner for penning Tarantino’s “Star Trek” vision.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/quentin-tarantino-and-jj-abrams-developing-r-rated-star-trek-film_us_5a2aec29e4b073789f6994ff

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #337 on: December 10, 2017, 07:57:05 am »
What a great idea.
I love R and I'm not sure it has been done for sci-fi...(and not horror)

Barbarella?
Judge Dredd?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 08:04:07 am by McrhimboRed »

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #338 on: December 10, 2017, 08:16:54 am »
This Nigga says we come in peace motherfuckers...

I can see it now....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #339 on: December 10, 2017, 08:18:28 am »
What a great idea.
I love R and I'm not sure it has been done for sci-fi...(and not horror)

Barbarella?
Judge Dredd?

A Clockwork Orange I cant think of many that wasnt horror.

Oh the original Mad Max.

Im sure someone will list loads soon.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #340 on: December 10, 2017, 09:01:06 pm »
Alien.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #341 on: December 10, 2017, 09:26:19 pm »
A Clockwork Orange I cant think of many that wasnt horror.

Oh the original Mad Max.

Im sure someone will list loads soon.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Blade Runner
The Thing
The Matrix
District 9
Robocop
Alien
Total Recall (original)
12 Monkeys
Starship Troopers
Escape from New York
Brazil
Predator
Children of Men
Repo Man
Equilibrium

...and many more.

Still, interesting project if they can pull it off.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: January 8, 2018, 09:29:00 pm »
Okay. Been a bit meh about this series so far.

But that was fucking ace.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: January 8, 2018, 10:23:49 pm »
Okay. Been a bit meh about this series so far.

But that was fucking ace.

Really? Can't believe they fell back on that already - just lazy storytelling for me. Been done to death in the other series.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: January 9, 2018, 01:29:37 pm »
Is it back after the mid season break?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #345 on: January 9, 2018, 03:46:17 pm »
Is it back after the mid season break?

I think it was on again yesterday.

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: January 9, 2018, 08:27:46 pm »
I haven't got in to any series post TNG, but I really like Discovery so far.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #347 on: January 9, 2018, 08:42:54 pm »
Just watched the new one a interesting twist.

Spoiler
The Cosplay people will love it.
[close]
« Last Edit: January 9, 2018, 09:11:20 pm by Trada »

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #348 on: January 10, 2018, 01:58:44 pm »
New episode was boss. Changes the whole direction for the series.

Spoiler

The doctor getting snapped was a legit shock.

I'm sure he will be back. Most likely his mirror version will turn out to be a good guy and replace him.

Ash is now clearly Voq. Well done internet sleuths.

[close]

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: January 15, 2018, 08:43:38 pm »
The last one was awesome - this one felt a bit meh.

Spoiler
The whole 'Ash Tyler is Voq thing was one of those things that created a great theory etc and then played itself out REALLY quickly once exposed.

One thing that is bugging me a little - is the fact that after a handful of episodes, we're expected to care/be shocked at the appearances/behaviours of characters we know little about. Captain Georgiou being the Empress was meant to be some kind of big shock etc at seeing that character like that -
 but she only had about 14 minutes of screentime in the prime Universe, so big deal. Were this set after DS9 and Sisko, once dead, was seen as the Emporer then huge shock - but Georgiou had less screentime than Ripper so meh
[close]

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #350 on: January 15, 2018, 10:03:58 pm »
Im loving the 2nd half of this series so far.

Offline losCHUNK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #351 on: January 16, 2018, 02:12:21 pm »
The last one was awesome - this one felt a bit meh.

Spoiler
The whole 'Ash Tyler is Voq thing was one of those things that created a great theory etc and then played itself out REALLY quickly once exposed.

One thing that is bugging me a little - is the fact that after a handful of episodes, we're expected to care/be shocked at the appearances/behaviours of characters we know little about. Captain Georgiou being the Empress was meant to be some kind of big shock etc at seeing that character like that -
 but she only had about 14 minutes of screentime in the prime Universe, so big deal. Were this set after DS9 and Sisko, once dead, was seen as the Emporer then huge shock - but Georgiou had less screentime than Ripper so meh
[close]

I think
Spoiler
it was more to do with the emotional impact on Burnham, she's already been through the mill.  I was hoping for something a bit more surprising but I think it would've ended up silly.  Lorcas face was a picture in that scene.
[close]

Loved ep10, on the whole I very much like this season.  I hope it gets a decent run, idk how they can keep doing 'mystery box' seasons though (Westworlds gonna struggle with this more).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:16:00 pm by losCHUNK »

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #352 on: January 16, 2018, 04:11:34 pm »
I must be the only one who thinks this is utter tripe.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #353 on: January 18, 2018, 09:03:19 am »

Ha ha! There’s always one! No, the interweb reveals you are not alone though some of their objections seem flimsy. Mostly people thinks it’s great. As do I.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: January 22, 2018, 05:41:48 pm »
 :o

Wow, didn't see that coming......

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #355 on: January 22, 2018, 11:04:48 pm »

I never went back to it after nodding off during the 4th episode. There was just nothing I wanted to see the continuation of. I've seen some mixed reviews since but I saw a clip of the ship doing some weird spinny thing and disappearing and reappearing off the sides of the screen and any remaining interest was killed.

The Orville on the other hand, is brilliant, and well worth checking out if you long for the days of Picard and the USS Brightly Lit Sets.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #356 on: January 23, 2018, 12:04:48 am »
Ok I didn't see that twist coming.

Brilliant episode.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: January 23, 2018, 08:08:04 am »
:o

Wow, didn't see that coming......

Yeah....

And damn this one episode a week! I want more! And also...

Spoiler
If Lorca is mirror universe Lorca, where is the "real" Lorca?
[close]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:10:03 am by Mr Mingebag Squid »
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: January 23, 2018, 08:28:47 am »
I liked it, until I realized

Spoiler
The people in the mirror universe are the BAD guys, and they all have an aversion to the LIGHT. Do you get it? HEY EVERYONE DO YOU GET IT? It's like poetry, it rhymes. Ugh.
[close]
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #359 on: January 23, 2018, 09:51:32 am »
I liked it, until I realized

Spoiler
The people in the mirror universe are the BAD guys, and they all have an aversion to the LIGHT. Do you get it? HEY EVERYONE DO YOU GET IT? It's like poetry, it rhymes. Ugh.
[close]

Spoiler
You do know bad and light don't actually rhyme, right?  ;D

Good twist which I didn't see coming. And as mentioned above, does throw up the question as to where the 'good' Lorca is at!?
[close]