Author Topic: Anyone here play the Guitar?  (Read 118587 times)

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
  • I'd walk a million miles...
Anyone here play the Guitar?
« on: March 8, 2007, 10:00:48 pm »
Thinking of giving it a go!

how difficult is it to learn?
what kind of guitar is best for  beginers?
what are the best teaching aids books/dvd's etc?
is it worth going to classes?

any hints and tips appreciated, cheers

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I intend to live forever. Or die trying.
Re: Anyone here play the Guitar?
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2007, 10:15:17 pm »
Hiya LymmRed. There's a fair few of us on here who play, and there's at least one thread going with a very similar topic. But for now here's a few very quick answers..

1. It depends how motivated you are. The good thing is that you can play tons of songs once you've learned your first three chords.
2. Depends on your age and what you want to do. Personally, I'd suggest an acoustic (even if you want to be a rock god) as it's going to strengthen your fingers considerably more than an electric. Going from acoustic to electric is much easier than the other way around. Also, avoid a nylon-strung Classical for now unless that's specifically what you want to learn.
3. There's loads online. As the Mods will let you know on here - Google is your friend. Just don't go for Ralph McTell books. They don't have the little diagram thingies ;)
4. Hell yes!

Good luck!
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline Rob Jones Maybe?

• The Equaliser
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK N' Roll
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2007, 10:23:03 pm »
Seek a tutor.

Here is the cycle if you learn from a book
-first few chords are easy
-develop poor technique
-struggle later on
-fustration
-give up

I started at around age 8, taught in school, and after a 2 years of twenty minute lessons once a week I quit. Since then I've been teaching myself, but I've always been in the company of other musicians who have shown me what I was doing wrong.

Now I'm the one teaching them how to do sweep arpeggios.

So, yeah, either get a tutor or an experienced friend.

For a few first songs you could probably be taught by a decent guitarist with no existing skill, try maybe Molly's Chambers by Kings of Leon, or Get It On by T Rex which is almost the same riff.

Just, you wouldn't ask somebody to teach you to play football from a book, or a dvd. Put it that way. The theory is easily picked up from a book, but the technique is 100% better taught in person.

Offline Live4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 8, 2007, 10:35:23 pm »
definitley give it a go, i got my first guitar for christmas and its going well, can play a couple of songs & few parts to loads of others...even started playin my own little tunes, cant sing and play at the same time though...but that will come with time. i have just been learning the chords myself then looking at the chords of songs online and putting in plenty of practise. but yeah definitlery give it a shot
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: March 9, 2007, 07:03:42 am »
Thanks for the advice guys

just thought i'd get an opinion on the classes thing before i start spending huge ammounts of dosh, but it looks like thats the way to go as i dont know anyone who plays

I'm not looking to be the next Hendrix or owt like that, just want to play a few decent tunes and have a sing song

sportbilly,  sorry didnt realise there was a similar thread, will have a look for it later

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #5 on: March 9, 2007, 10:14:40 am »
have fun with the burning finger tips ;D

seriously though, it is a wonderful thing to be able to do, just don't get too frustrated at first. Enjoy!

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
« Reply #6 on: March 9, 2007, 10:19:34 am »
Big time, Ive got a lunch time gig today. Shittin it a bit if the truth be known lunch time gigs are always the hardest.
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline Voni

• One from the top please Carol
  • Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #7 on: March 9, 2007, 10:28:00 am »
Hi there,

It really depends on how seriously you're going to take it.  I'd recommend going to a tutor as they'll teach you wee tricks and techniques that'll you'll maybe might not understand from a book.  I've been going to lessons for 2 and half years.  It's expensive but definately worth it.

I'd go with an acoustic.  I think an electric guitar makes things too easy.

Offline SPLee

• Kopite
  • last seen in 3ft(13ft) fountain in istanbul
« Reply #8 on: March 9, 2007, 10:40:15 am »
Love playing my Ibanez Semi-Acoustic, self taught & not an expert!! advice for you amigo......

Be patient & learn 3 chords,  the others will come, learn to play those 3 chords on appropriate frets.

Let your soul do the talking!! Just play what you feel and your own riffs & fave melodies will appear, then get some words down and we'll see you at glastonbury 2008!!

:thumbup
@sevvyparklee

Offline redmanmarshall

• Kopite
« Reply #9 on: March 9, 2007, 11:02:55 am »
You've got to be motivated and put in the practice instead of trying a few things, not being able to do them and then giving up. There was a website I used which gives good lessons on theory and tequnique, and teaches you songs in each lesson. www.zentao.com

EDIT: Can't get the link right, just type Zentao into google.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2007, 11:05:31 am by redmanmarshall »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #10 on: March 9, 2007, 11:44:56 am »
To add to what's been posted

1. Get a good teacher. Take at least 10 lessons and ask to be taught the right approaches and the basics - posture and technique are very important later on

2. GuitarPro (You can buy it online) has tons of chords/riffs and lead - plus can aid in note reading - it'll provide all the music you could ever want (Over 40,000 files lying around online) and can help you in many areas of playing - plus you can input stuff to practice as well
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #11 on: March 9, 2007, 12:26:45 pm »
If you go to Dawsons in warrington you may be able to find a guitar tutor there.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12 on: March 9, 2007, 01:44:34 pm »
There is a good one in Liverpool;

Liverpool Guitar Studio - Bold Street  0151 708 7353
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: March 9, 2007, 07:25:33 pm »
Thanks guys, some great advice here,

have fun with the burning finger tips ;D

Whats this? some kind of guitaritis?

It really depends on how seriously you're going to take it.  I'd recommend going to a tutor as they'll teach you wee tricks and techniques that'll you'll maybe might not understand from a book.  I've been going to lessons for 2 and half years.  It's expensive but definately worth it.

cheers voni,  yes i'm taking it seriously, its something i have wanted to do for years but never had the time, whats the general going price for lessons? any idea?

Love playing my Ibanez Semi-Acoustic, self taught & not an expert!! advice for you amigo......

Be patient & learn 3 chords,  the others will come, learn to play those 3 chords on appropriate frets.

nice one SPlee, which chords would you recommend learning first though?

If you go to Dawsons in warrington you may be able to find a guitar tutor there.

thanks mate, christ! is that place still going? bought my first 7 inch single from there, Boomtown Rats in 78 i think, live in North East now though but cheers anyway

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #14 on: March 9, 2007, 07:32:19 pm »
Are Ephione guitars any good? Always wanted a Les Paul, but cant afford that for the one i want ;D I dont know much about them, but can someone tell me what is a good electric guitar? Think I heard Noel Gallagher recorded the first Oasis album playing an ephione. Is That true? They arent too expensive either. And is this one any good?

http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=1174

Cheers  :wave
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Rob Jones Maybe?

• The Equaliser
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK N' Roll
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 12:33:35 am »
To add to what's been posted

1. Get a good teacher. Take at least 10 lessons and ask to be taught the right approaches and the basics - posture and technique are very important later on

2. GuitarPro (You can buy it online) has tons of chords/riffs and lead - plus can aid in note reading - it'll provide all the music you could ever want (Over 40,000 files lying around online) and can help you in many areas of playing - plus you can input stuff to practice as well

I honestly wouldn't survive if I couldn't use GuitarPro. The realistic sound engine in the new one is a bit naff, but it's a marvellous piece of software.

There are probably 1.5K+ files on my pc for it. Tabs look great printed out too, got a ring binder folder full of nice looking, quality tabs.

Offline Rob Jones Maybe?

• The Equaliser
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK N' Roll
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 12:43:05 am »
Are Ephione guitars any good? Always wanted a Les Paul, but cant afford that for the one i want ;D I dont know much about them, but can someone tell me what is a good electric guitar? Think I heard Noel Gallagher recorded the first Oasis album playing an ephione. Is That true? They arent too expensive either. And is this one any good?

That's bottom of the line for a budget make.

http://www.chamberlainmusic.com/productdetail.asp?ProductID=GAX30

This is certainly not a Gibson LP Custom. Nor is it a Custom Shop Strat.

It is, however, a nice little workhorse for Ģ115. A very nice little guitar too, was partially in charge of the school's music budget this year and took a chance on one of these. I will also say now that it will be better than that Epiphone LP100.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Ibanez/GAX30/10/1

Offline The dude abides

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 01:24:35 am »
had an acoustic guitar, and i struggled to get my big fingers onto the frets/metal chords............and after a week or two gave up.  :(

Must say  tho that over at a friend's house a while back, he let me strum his electric guitar, and it felt so much better and easier to play.

If  I had it to do it again, I'd try learning on an electric.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 01:56:02 pm »
That's bottom of the line for a budget make.

http://www.chamberlainmusic.com/productdetail.asp?ProductID=GAX30

This is certainly not a Gibson LP Custom. Nor is it a Custom Shop Strat.

It is, however, a nice little workhorse for Ģ115. A very nice little guitar too, was partially in charge of the school's music budget this year and took a chance on one of these. I will also say now that it will be better than that Epiphone LP100.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Ibanez/GAX30/10/1

Cheers mate, i know nothing about Electric guitars, can play one fairly decently but am looking to buy one now. Thanks for the help
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 04:45:19 pm »
I taught myself.

I am shite, mind you.

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 04:46:23 pm »
had an acoustic guitar, and i struggled to get my big fingers onto the frets/metal chords............and after a week or two gave up.  :(

Must say  tho that over at a friend's house a while back, he let me strum his electric guitar, and it felt so much better and easier to play.

If  I had it to do it again, I'd try learning on an electric.

The only thing is that that's the trap a lot of people fall into. Learning electric is tons easier for some things, not least the chords and fretting, but I've always felt that if you can struggle (at first) and do it well with an acoustic, you'll fly on an electric :)
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline L7 Red

• Kopite
  • Kensington is Red
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2007, 12:14:31 pm »
Been playing for about 8 months now, it's a lot harder than I thought and there's loads more to it than I thought.

I try and practice for at least half an hour a day, I bought 'Guitar Playing For Dummies', I go to a half hour lesson a week, I also use these websites

http://www.chordbook.com/
http://www.guitarnoise.com/
http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/

I've learnt to play 'Yellow Submarine' and try to learn 'Mull of Kintyre' and 'My Sweet Lord'.

Defo gonna stick at it then buy meself a leccy one, had a go on one the other week and it was much easier to play.
"Oh that's boys own stuff but it's been that sort of night and it's been wonderful too see"

Offline simo77

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 07:34:35 pm »
After reading this thread and wanting to play for years i've just booked my first lesson with Dawsons in Warrington. Let you know how it goes ;)

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 08:21:04 pm »

I used 'The Beatles Complete' to start off with. Knew most of the songs anyway. Teaches you chord changes and what-not, song-structure, melody & harmony etc.

They are the acknowledged masters, after all....

« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 08:22:42 pm by Barney_Rubble »
87:13

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 08:31:07 pm »
After reading this thread and wanting to play for years i've just booked my first lesson with Dawsons in Warrington. Let you know how it goes ;)

Nice one. I had some lessons from Pete Frampton (no not that Peter Frampton) at Dawsons years ago.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2007, 08:33:33 pm »
I taught myself.

I am shite, mind you.
I taught myself too, but I'm great.

Offline Jin

• ky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2007, 08:38:26 am »
After years of putting up with budget (ie shite) guitars, I have decided to splash the cash on my first great guitar.

The kind of music I'm looking to make is a mixture of Gang of Four, The Jam, The Clash, and also some Stooges and The Ramones. Bearing in mind the certain guitar sounds of these bands, can any of you more knowledgeable guitar players recommend me a guitar?

I've been told recently that a Telecaster would give me that thin sharp bark I'm looking for. I tried a Gibson SG for a brief while the other day and that was such a pleasure to play, is that guitar capable of making the sounds I'm after?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to guitar brands so go easy on me :D

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2007, 10:21:01 am »
I used 'The Beatles Complete' to start off with. Knew most of the songs anyway. Teaches you chord changes and what-not, song-structure, melody & harmony etc.

same here. Helped teach me to sing and play at the same time too.

It is true that Noel Gallagher used one of those to record definately maybe, and on tour with oasis in the early days. Looks and sound wise theyre as spot on as you'll get to the real thing.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2007, 12:56:25 pm »
I taught myself too, but I'm great.

Cock.

But hey, nobody plays the MOTD theme tune better than I.

Offline juggly

• Main Stander
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2007, 05:01:05 pm »
After years of putting up with budget (ie shite) guitars, I have decided to splash the cash on my first great guitar.

The kind of music I'm looking to make is a mixture of Gang of Four, The Jam, The Clash, and also some Stooges and The Ramones. Bearing in mind the certain guitar sounds of these bands, can any of you more knowledgeable guitar players recommend me a guitar?

I've been told recently that a Telecaster would give me that thin sharp bark I'm looking for. I tried a Gibson SG for a brief while the other day and that was such a pleasure to play, is that guitar capable of making the sounds I'm after?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to guitar brands so go easy on me :D

You in a band already mate?

Looking to form a band thats not the usual shite of beatles covers and oasis strummers. Influences sound good.

Send us a pm if your interested.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2007, 03:08:15 pm »
Its only difficult if you are not willing to learn patiently. The profit is worth the work

I used a Wasburn D10S acoustic to learn on. Best selling dreadnoght in the world and is perfect for begginers. Was for me anyway!! Had a strat also. At the mo I have a Tanglewood 12 string a Turner and Gibson SG which is just the king of electric guitars in my book

No Books. Only if you want to know chords to a song quickly maybe. You must play with other players if you want to improve properly. Some Teachers can be a bit stiff, a bloke in a band who does it on the side would cut those edges off. I listened to a lot of Eagles, Oasis, Crowded House, Del Amitri and Bon Jovi when I was learning. Excellent for acoustic guitar. Mettallica and GNR  and recently Foo Fioghters are ace for Electric/Effects  stuff. For a bit of everything I would suggest maybe Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, The Who

Only tip I can give is to always try new things to keep the challenge motivated, maybe write a song after youve learned a few chords so it improves as you do. Also play with heavy strings on an acoustic. Yes its harder at first and you will be tempted to play light, but its worth it in the long run.

Finally, and this goes to all players you must check this site out if you havent already. It is simply, gold. Something that shouldve existed from day one of the internet

http://www.e-chords.com/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 03:17:42 pm by rushyman »
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2007, 04:43:01 pm »
PM this lad here. Doesn't play anymore, but was top-class.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2007, 05:09:14 pm »

Hmmm.

Date Registered: 20-12-2005, 09:42:50
Last Active: 20-12-2005, 09:50:04

Just under 8 minutes, nearly 18 months ago. Somehow, I don't think he's coming back....... ;D

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2007, 06:16:48 pm »
same here. Helped teach me to sing and play at the same time too.

It is true that Noel Gallagher used one of those to record definately maybe, and on tour with oasis in the early days. Looks and sound wise theyre as spot on as you'll get to the real thing.

Just thinking - didnīt Johnny Marr of the Smiths actually gave Noel a Gibson Les Paul guitar, in the early days of Oasisī career? Or did Noel buy the exact same guitar because Marr had one of them? Which way was it? Seem to remember reading this story somewhere some time ago.

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2007, 06:23:19 pm »

Thatīs a good Beatlesī book to start playing with, but if you want to buy the essential bible, check this:
http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Complete-Scores/dp/0793518326

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2007, 06:27:48 pm »

Thatīs a good Beatlesī book to start playing with, but if you want to buy the essential bible, check this:
http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Complete-Scores/dp/0793518326

Ever seen a 270 meg PDF file ? ;) :D

Offline Deadlogic

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2007, 08:20:49 pm »

Ever seen a 270 meg PDF file ? ;) :D

*cough*here*cough*

----------------------------- EDiT ---------------------------------------

You should see a doctor mate. ;D

Don't post Torrent links. (It gave an out-of-date error anyway!!)

Ta.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 08:29:52 pm by Barney_Rubble »

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2007, 10:23:06 am »
LymmRed, the 'burning fingertips' is that wonderful sensation that anyone who plays a stringed instrument will encounter at some point. It's when your fingers have been pressing down on the strings for a while then start turning red raw at the tips. Among all of the people I've taught over the years, it's the number one reason for people wanting to quit.

It doesn't last forever though; if you play for long enough you will eventually develop some fine callouses where once there was only pain. Play for no more than an hour a day for about 2-3 weeks and you'll soon start noticing it becomes much easier on your fingers when you press the strings down.

Hope you're getting along ok with it, gizza shout if you need any advice.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2007, 10:52:36 am »

Such great wit gone to waste on the RAWK minions

Offline SportBilly

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2007, 11:23:50 pm »
Such great wit gone to waste on the RAWK minions

Hmmm.

Date Registered: 20-12-2005, 09:42:50
Last Active: 20-12-2005, 09:50:04

Just under 8 minutes, nearly 18 months ago. Somehow, I don't think he's coming back....... ;D

He's probably off making love with his ego