Author Topic: Liverpool Vs Newcastle Pre-Match Thread KO: 12:30  (Read 17978 times)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Re: Liverpool Vs Newcastle Pre-Match Thread KO: 12:30
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2019, 04:36:18 pm »
My memory may be playing tricks on me, but Big Fat head Bruce has frustrated us at Anfield on more than one occasion. As already said, they'll park the proverbial bus, and play long at every given opportunity. We'll have to be patient as always in games like this and take our chances. Taking advantage of set pieces for us would open them up as well.

Given the travel time for Firmino and Fabinho, wouldn't be surprising if they didn't start this match.

Adrian

Trent
Matip
Van Dijk
Robertson

Wijnaldum
Henderson
Ox

Shaqiri
Salah
Mane

Out of 13 games he's managed at Anfield, he has drawn or won 8 of them in all competitions.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2019, 04:36:25 pm »
Yes, MK Dons in a few weeks

Goes without saying

They wouldn’t be close to that regardless of travel this break

The noises from Klopp about rotation starting after this break would indicate to me that he’s looking in all comps and not just the league cup. With Napoli and Chelsea next up I think he’ll be quite bold

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2019, 04:40:10 pm »
Quote from: POP
Out of 13 games he's managed at Anfield, he has drawn or won 8 of them in all competitions.

Christ!

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2019, 04:51:38 pm »
Fathead Bruce will be buoyed by the fact that they went to Spurs and picked up a win and could fancy his chances of another upset. Hopefully we can slap him back down to earth fairly quickly. Would love a goal within the first 10 minutes, followed by an absolute drubbing from the boys in Red.

Offline ManéManéMané

• Always sunné. In the rich man's world.....all the things I could do if had a little Mané.....
  • Main Stander
  • anchor.fm/koponpodcast
    • Kop On!
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2019, 05:14:33 pm »
Amazing OP. Truly brilliant stuff.

It's been such a long, long international break. I really hope we tear into them. I want Steve Bruce's cabbage head to turn even more purple as a result of Kloppo's Rocket Red stranglehold.

Charge, boys, charge!!!!!

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2019, 05:28:52 pm »

An upsetting stat, until you look at what we are now. A very different proposition to any of the Liverpool teams that Bruce has faced (and it's a face on a bloody big head).

I remember being at Bramall Lane when we drew with A Bruce-led Sheffield United side. Rafa made the mistake of resting some of the first choice players (including Torres), and brought him on when we needed to get a winner. Alas, it was too late.

I hope Klopp goes for the strongest available starting XI, and then looks to rest players once we're 4-0 up at halftime.

Having said all of that, this is Klopp's Liverpool, the European champions, and the only side in a 100% record, and a run at Anfield that will scare any visiting side. Let's batter them.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2019, 05:35:58 pm »
An upsetting stat, until you look at what we are now. A very different proposition to any of the Liverpool teams that Bruce has faced (and it's a face on a bloody big head).

I remember being at Bramall Lane when we drew with A Bruce-led Sheffield United side. Rafa made the mistake of resting some of the first choice players (including Torres), and brought him on when we needed to get a winner. Alas, it was too late.

I hope Klopp goes for the strongest available starting XI, and then looks to rest players once we're 4-0 up at halftime.

Having said all of that, this is Klopp's Liverpool, the European champions, and the only side in a 100% record, and a run at Anfield that will scare any visiting side. Let's batter them.

Well said JC but Bruce never managed Sheffield whilst Rafa was here. Last time Sheffield were up, Warnock was their manager

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2019, 05:41:01 pm »
Well said JC but Bruce never managed Sheffield whilst Rafa was here. Last time Sheffield were up, Warnock was their manager

Must have been that arse, and not Bruce.

Trying to remember what game I was at when Bruce was managing and we were singing about his oversized melon. Could have sworn it was that one, but obviously old-age is catching up on me! Maybe Birmingham...but can't remember it now.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 05:43:04 pm by JC the Messiah »
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2019, 06:00:00 pm »

Trying to remember what game I was at when Bruce was managing and we were singing about his oversized melon. Could have sworn it was that one, but obviously old-age is catching up on me! Maybe Birmingham...but can't remember it now.

At Anfield, the ones that stick out of my mind were against Birmingham twice, and not sure if Sunderland got anything out of us at Anfield whilst he was there

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2019, 06:01:59 pm »

We did draw 2-2 with Birmingham at Anfield, pretty sure someone scored from 30 yards for them
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2019, 06:16:49 pm »
Excellent OP. Certainly a game we’ve done well in at Anfield over the years, often with a few goals.

I’d imagine there may be a bit of rotation with Napoli on the Tuesday. Can see the likes Matip, Milner, Mane & Salah definitely starting and possibly Shaqiri, and maybe Lallana as they’ve not been on Intl duty. Also Ox &  Gomez didn’t get much game time so could replace Trent and Henderson.

Either way we have a strong squad and should have more than enough to put 3 more points on the board. Sounds like they’ve got a few injuries as well.
I know as mentioned above Bruce has managed decent results in the past but times have changed and this set of players are a cut above, a straight forward win with a few goals is on the cards imo.

Online bogrollsbike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2019, 06:51:33 pm »

Think it was Hull,I was at that game and when the fans were singing about his massive head he stuck his hood over it and got a cheer!That was the most exciting thing that happened,the match was shite.

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2019, 07:21:22 pm »
We did draw 2-2 with Birmingham at Anfield, pretty sure someone scored from 30 yards for them

Cameron Jerome

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2019, 08:10:06 pm »
Brilliant OP and a great summary of Newcastle as a club and Bruce as a manager. He's such a massive step down for them and they deserve far better than him and Cashley in charge.

I'm not sure I've ever read such a perfect description of how money has changed the game than this:
Off the field, the old owners are all but gone – no more Walkers, Halls or Moores. In their place are a mixture of international investment consortia, career asset-strippers who leverage debt to skim profits, with even reputation-laundering oligarchs rapidly being displaced by reputation-laundering countries seeking to use oil wealth to not only lubricate public perceptions but also to add trophies in the world’s biggest sport to their achievements in perhaps the plutocracy’s favourite past time of all: extravagantly worthless dick-measuring.
Or the gulf in class between two managers put so brutally but so eloquently  ;D
Even Rafa got turned over here, and Bruce is to Rafa what an amoeba is to the Viennese Philharmonic Orchestra.
We should have way too much for them and for Bruce's limited tactical brain. Its a huge head, but the brain must be tiny like a T-Rex. He'll do his usual trick of parking several kebab vans in front of their goal and playing a physical game and hope to nick a draw. We're in really good shape after the international break with several key players rested so I think we should go strong. Perhaps Origi or Shaqiri come in, with Fabinho or Bobby rested, and possibly Gomez to get more minutes under his belt. Milner and Wijnaldum against their old club could be interesting.

Adrian, Robertson, Gomez, Virgil, Trent, Milner, Wijnaldum, AoC, Mane, Origi, Salah.

That's a strong side plus strong players on the bench, and I can see us winning comfortably with the form and mindset we're in lately.

I've lost so much interest in the national game that when my mate told me after 5-a-side last night that England were 5-1 up, I had to ask him who against (and whether it was a friendly ;D). Good to have proper football back again.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:13:09 pm by keyop »
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2019, 08:55:03 pm »
My memory may be playing tricks on me, but Big Fat head Bruce has frustrated us at Anfield on more than one occasion. As already said, they'll park the proverbial bus, and play long at every given opportunity. We'll have to be patient as always in games like this and take our chances. Taking advantage of set pieces for us would open them up as well.

Given the travel time for Firmino and Fabinho, wouldn't be surprising if they didn't start this match.

Adrian

Trent
Matip
Van Dijk
Robertson

Wijnaldum
Henderson
Ox

Shaqiri
Salah
Mane

Is Fab injured?

Offline redman64

• Anny Roader
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2019, 09:09:25 pm »
I’m not feeling the ire for Bruce. He’s a modest manager, lucky to have a Prem job these days, but I can’t get wound up by him, even if he lacked good manners over the beach ball thing and laddishly made a thing about not knowing the rules.

You are obviously not old enough to remember when he played for United. Horrible oaf of a person. Im sure in one of my dreams i give him his cauliflower nose!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2019, 09:18:15 pm »
Is Fab injured?

No, but he won't be back in Liverpool until late Thursday.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2019, 09:18:15 pm »
Back to action!
Believer

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2019, 09:25:38 pm »
Yep. Maybe even at left back?

That was my thinking too
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2019, 09:27:00 pm »
Reckon the only change might come in midfield where Oxlade may come in for Gini who I'd expect to start away at Napoli in midweek.

I'm confident - Anfield is becoming a place where any team in the world is lucky to get out with a point these days. We have a far superior team to Newcastle and our mentality looks excellent. 
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2019, 09:28:52 pm »

Oh, right. No chance. Didn't realise.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:31:05 pm by stjohns »

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2019, 09:44:27 pm »
Weren’t he and Bobby on a plane back earlier, would have thought they’d be back by now? Doesn’t mean they’ll play even if they are but I thought they were back tonight.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2019, 09:52:19 pm »
Weren’t he and Bobby on a plane back earlier, would have thought they’d be back by now? Doesn’t mean they’ll play even if they are but I thought they were back tonight.

It was played late last night in LA , given the the time difference and the time it takes to fly out back, I am not sure.

Fabinho only played 30 minutes or so, while Bobby played an hour, so he[fabinho] could still play
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:53:53 pm by deFacto »

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2019, 10:35:22 pm »
Was reading somewhere that these have a few players out for this? Great that the likes of Mane and Mo had a good rest.

I would go with;

Adrian
Trent
Matip
Virgil
Robbo
Fab - only played half an hour for Brazil so should be fine.
Gini
Hendo/Ox
Mane
Big Div
Mo
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2019, 10:37:23 pm »
Both Wijnaldum and Hendo shouldn't be playing in this match imo.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2019, 10:50:22 pm »
I think we've done fairly well regarding players who didn't go on international duty. I think it was Adrian, Matip, Milner, Gomez, Ox, Shaq, Mane, Lallana, and Salah.

Pretty sure Gomez and Ox were on international duty although barely played any minutes between them, don't think Gomez played at all infact.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2019, 11:45:13 pm »

One may be rested but I cant imagine both will be.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2019, 11:57:20 pm »

Adrian, Robertson, Gomez, Virgil, Trent, Milner, Wijnaldum, AoC, Mane, Origi, Salah.

No. Always right to left, never the reverse

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2019, 01:16:18 am »
No. Always right to left, never the reverse

I've always seen team sheets start with the goalie.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2019, 02:38:10 am »
Think Firmino will play
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2019, 07:37:44 am »
Come on Redmen!!
They play with five at the back and so 4231 seems a good solution for us. I would expect Shaquiri to be one of the three behind Salah with Mane and Ox or Lallana.
The two defensive are likely to include Milner and I think he may rest one fullback, who it is depends on his plans for Napoli away?
We should be too strong for them but need a goal in the first half to avoid nerves about Bruce getting anything from the match.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2019, 09:42:08 am »
A Rafa-less Newcastle at Anfield? Can't see nothing but a home win.
Believer

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2019, 10:19:19 am »
Thanks for the OP, really well written.

I think that we might rotate more than expected, with the plan being for the strongest eleven to play both at Napoli on Tuesday and then at Chelsea (before changing the lot, bar Adrian, for the league cup)

I think Shaqiri will play the first half (minimum) in the Firmino role. I think Milner will start (or at least finish) at left back.

I don’t think Fabinho played many minutes for Brazil (less than Wijanldum and Henderson anyway) so he’ll probably start, but the other two could share minutes with Oxlade Chamberlain playing the third role.

If things are going well, bring on Gomez to rest TAA. Or Lallana I suppose, and get one of Henderson or Chamberlain to coast out the game at right back.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2019, 10:20:24 am »

Do you think Klopp would change the entire midfield? Considering Fabinho is likely to be rested that's what we're talking about, can't see it myself.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2019, 10:25:32 am »
Didn't know fathead had such a good record against us at Anfield.

Can see both Brazilian lads starting on the bench. Should have more than enough to get the three points against these lot. Hopefully we don't see both Hendo and Milner in the same midfield. Just doesn't seem to work when they start together

---------Adrian
TAA- Matip- VVD- Robbo
----------Gini
---Hendo-----AOC
Salah-----Mane----Origi

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2019, 10:47:51 am »
Although Klopp tends to put out his strongest 11 for any given game (except domestic cups)...would like to see as many rested as possible for this one (i.e taken off early or otherwise.

Then our strongest 11 for Napoli/Chelsea

games thick and fast now
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2019, 10:51:15 am »
Didn't know fathead had such a good record against us at Anfield.

Can see both Brazilian lads starting on the bench. Should have more than enough to get the three points against these lot. Hopefully we don't see both Hendo and Milner in the same midfield. Just doesn't seem to work when they start together

---------Adrian
TAA- Matip- VVD- Robbo
----------Gini
---Hendo-----AOC
Salah-----Mane----Origi

That is a very good record for an opposing manager but then again, we’ve never been stronger at home since he’s been a manager. Even when we were strong under Rafa we were still susceptible to being held at home by some of the shite.

Trying to think who he’ll have managed at Anfield. Birmingham, Sunderland and Wigan I guess? I can think of all of them drawing with us at various points.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2019, 11:49:40 am »
Who Klopp picks in central midfield is the one I'm looking for in terms of selection. Gini played both games (but I'd expect him to start), Henderson played the whole match last Tuesday and around 70 minutes vs Bulgaria, Fabinho barely played but don't know how much he is considered for selection due to the travelling involved.

I could definitely see Milner starting at left back cause Robbo has to be rested for a game now and then. Shaq could start, especially since he stayed back and skipped the international games and would fit in both 4-3-3 or 4-2-2 (which I'm intrigued* by but can't see Klopp going for it) but you could argue Chamberlain is ahead of him for both formations.

*Mane on the left, Chamberlain on the right, Origi and Salah up front.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2019, 12:13:22 pm »
If we're resting any of the front 3 I think Origi will and should come in. He's been effective when used and deserves his shot, think that's certainly more logical than playing Shaq or AOC in wide attacking areas where they're yet to impress.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2019, 12:48:36 pm »
If we're resting any of the front 3 I think Origi will and should come in. He's been effective when used and deserves his shot, think that's certainly more logical than playing Shaq or AOC in wide attacking areas where they're yet to impress.
The only reason I think it will be Shaq is because it would be part of the re-shape to 4231. He can play left or centre behind Salah.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!