Author Topic: CL 1st leg: L’pool 0 v Bayern 0  (Read 42798 times)

Offline tornado

• ali
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: CL 1st leg: L’pool 0 v Bayern 0
« Reply #440 on: February 19, 2019, 10:41:36 pm »
While on the face of it, the result looks a little disapointing but actually we are in a very good positing going into the second leg. Imagine 0-0 at half time and if you score in the 2nd half, it is potentially worth more than if the oppostion scores.

Offline v2krules

• Main Stander
« Reply #441 on: February 19, 2019, 10:42:54 pm »
Bayern
Our 1st half was very good. With a sick Firmino we were expected to fall off 2nd half. So no surprise there. I wouldn't be overly worried. Considering how poor Bayern were tonight we should be able to get a result at Munich. They did a 10 man Man-City style keep back-passing defense the whole of 2nd half. Some brilliant performance from Kimmich in defense, who wont be playing next leg; thats a plus. Sergei Gnabry apart, Bayern offered virtually nothing going forward. The only way Bayern win next leg, is to camp the same way and nick it. If they do play, considering its their home, with VVD back and hopefully a fully fit Firmino, I am certain we will win.

Man United
As for as the United game goes, Rashford has been superb for them in attack and the way Robertson played today was a real cause for concern. Pogba is finding his feet but what has really changed about them is the way even their bang average players (majority of the playing XI) are giving their all. That's been the biggest difference for them. But that said, the current United XI is worse than the Bayern XI we played today and that's saying something. They are relying purely on positive momentum, and attacking confidence. The only way they have a chance against us if they give up their pride accept they are worse than us and treat it as an away game with an underdog mentality (The way Bayern played us today or the way Ole played Tottenham). If they play open with a false sense of confidence we will Tonk them and this is what I am expecting will happen at Old Trafford this weekend.

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: February 19, 2019, 10:43:11 pm »
Was fuming at the lad who threw the ball on the pitch for the throw in on 70,  loved the collective 'prick', mermer! 
No time for caution.

Offline arbiarbi

• Main Stander
« Reply #443 on: February 19, 2019, 10:44:09 pm »
How dare you be logical

Besides, he isn't really that tall - it's an optical illusion

185 cm is much more than Shaqiri's 169 cm.... Firmino was one of the best our players in air, and he had to be replaced by a good player in the air not by short Shqiri, and Bayern scored the most goals from corners in this season of champions league ! 5 goals....

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #444 on: February 19, 2019, 10:44:43 pm »
It was a terrific game. We were creative, so were they. We were defensively solid, so were they. We took risks, so did they. We'll win the second leg, they won't.

Other news: Bobby Firmino is one of the best Liverpool players I've ever seen. And currently would fit quite naturally into any World XI you cared to pick. It's such a privilege to watch him play football.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: February 19, 2019, 10:45:19 pm »
Was fuming at the lad who threw the ball on the pitch for the throw in on 70,  loved the collective 'prick', mermer!

Prick indeed - lucky he didn't get a slap .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #446 on: February 19, 2019, 10:45:21 pm »
If we'd have pulled that off away to Real, Barca, Juventus etc we would all be raving about it.

They respect Liverpool and knew we could/would have hurt them if they'd played their normal game here. They did their homework extremely well, kept possession early on to pacify the crowd and defended very well indeed. That was the plan. They hoped to nick one at the other end if they could, but the real aim was not to concede then have our team and fans breathing down their necks, potentially resulting in an avalanche. I'm surprise more people aren't seeing what they were doing and how well they executed it. The lack of an away goal might be their undoing, but I think they were prepared to risk that, and preferred that to possibly going home 3-0 down.

Everyone could see what they doing mate - they were time wasting from about the 50th minute
I’m also not buying the first half was part of some brilliantly executed plan; they were extremely lucky not to concede
But hey ho ... good luck to them if that’s the best they’ve got. Meh.

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Re: CL 1st leg: L’pool v Bayern
« Reply #447 on: February 19, 2019, 10:45:26 pm »
If we'd have pulled that off away to Real, Barca, Juventus etc we would all be raving about it.

They respect Liverpool and knew we could/would have hurt them if they'd played their normal game here. They did their homework extremely well, kept possession early on to pacify the crowd and defended very well indeed. That was the plan. They hoped to nick one at the other end if they could, but the real aim was not to concede then have our team and fans breathing down their necks, potentially resulting in an avalanche. I'm surprise more people aren't seeing what they were doing and how well they executed it. The lack of an away goal might be their undoing, but I think they were prepared to risk that, and preferred that to possibly going home 3-0 down.
Nah. With a bit more sharpness from our front three we could've scored 3-4 goals. They gavw the ball away in dangerous areas a dozen times

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #448 on: February 19, 2019, 10:45:29 pm »
They defended well but we had the chances to win it, and on another day we would have.

It would have been nice to score a late goal to give the team a lift ahead of United, but otherwise I'm not too concerned. We'll be better defensively at theirs and they'll open up more.

My only concern is that we appear to still be going through a bit of a phase in terms of mentalitym where the enormity of being a genuine contender for the league and CL seems to be something we're struggling to overcome.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: CL 1st leg: L’pool v Bayern
« Reply #449 on: February 19, 2019, 10:45:37 pm »
I think you maybe are getting a bit hooked here?!
Even after I posted my fishing gif some are still taking the bait.  :D
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: February 19, 2019, 10:46:40 pm »
Kinell unless we are hammering teams every single time the commentators on our game are downbeat as fuck the entire 90 minutes  'Liverpool really have to score' or 'you can feel the tension from the fans' being the most used two the twats use [emoji35] we weren't with it but Bayern had a really good game plan so shit happens sometimes, no biggie as we will score 2 over there.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #451 on: February 19, 2019, 10:46:58 pm »
Most of those must have been from Barca? I only remember Neuer making the one save from Mane's header.

We had 15 (2 on target  >:( )
Barca had 25  :o  :o
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: February 19, 2019, 10:47:50 pm »
We had 15 (2 on target  >:( )
Barca had 25  :o  :o

That's the effect of them still being in their domestic cup competition.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #453 on: February 19, 2019, 10:49:06 pm »
That's the effect of them still being in their domestic cup competition.
It's people like you what cause unrest  :D
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #454 on: February 19, 2019, 10:49:27 pm »
Oooh Fekir, that’s a strong move  ;D

I’ll meet your Fekir with a..... why did we sell Klavan?!
Oh Ragnar.....

Scored goals too (well 2....)

I suppose Luis is really too old though and didn't score either tonight so can't have too many regrets  there

That said, I'm still pissed off that we don't don't swoop for Dembele in January- look what he achieved for Barca tonight.....

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #455 on: February 19, 2019, 10:50:18 pm »
I'm not saying Bayern are only as good as Leicester or West Ham. I'm saying it felt like one of those games by the end.

Wont´t try to argue with how you felt, I agree too in that sense, but think the more detached analysis needs to be we did well and didn´t leave ourselves out of the return leg.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: February 19, 2019, 10:50:39 pm »
If you are setting up a team in the CL to play at Anfield you’re going to use last season as your guide. This Bayern performance was a direct result of us undressing top sides last season.
Bayern really did put a shift in tonight, as much as we were poor they were also very effective. Martínez Aguinaga was a fucking pain in the arse chasing us down.

They've got to do a lot more to progress though, I think we'll get a result there.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #457 on: February 19, 2019, 10:51:44 pm »
Thought it was a poor game to be honest. Lots of poor passes from us when we got into good areas, giving the ball away too easily. Bayern didn't offer much at all.
The longer the game went on, we lost confidence and started to try and force it, and made it too easy for Bayern, who were well organized. It felt like one of those frustrating league games against mid-lower table opposition.

Yup. It was a poor game.

And not because of the scoreline. It was poor because both teams spurned good opportunities, made poor decisions with the final ball, and gave the ball away.

I just don’t get the “great game between two European heavyweights” narrative.

And I agree with Gerry fwiw. They were not great defensively at all - on the contrary, we were below par.

Now, you might want to poo poo the notion that long breaks in the sun, or wherever, are somehow a bonus this time of year. Just look at the performances when we’ve come back from a long break.

In summary, without our best defender and organiser, we didn’t concede. As I said earlier, we are much better than that. I’m unconvinced they are.

"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #458 on: February 19, 2019, 10:52:02 pm »
The only bum to this is its not for three damned weeks, I hate this extra week.  :butt
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Six Beardy

• Granby Half-Brick Dodger!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: February 19, 2019, 10:52:02 pm »
Kinell unless we are hammering teams every single time the commentators on our game are downbeat as fuck the entire 90 minutes  'Liverpool really have to score' or 'you can feel the tension from the fans' being the most used two the twats use [emoji35] we weren't with it but Bayern had a really good game plan so shit happens sometimes, no biggie as we will score 2 over there.

Indeed. I had to laugh at their comparison with the Utd v PSG match. It wasn't even close to that, PSG ran the mancs ragged in that second half, whereas Bayern were happy to sit back and try and contain us. At no point did they dare attempt to take the game to us in the way that PSG did with the mancs.

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #460 on: February 19, 2019, 10:53:09 pm »
First half was excellent, but it died second half.

We missed Fabinho in midfield, Gini doesn’t look 100% fit.  The black Gascoigne (TM) looked excellent but tired.

Another 10 day break, and we look a little rusty once again

:wellin :lmao
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #461 on: February 19, 2019, 10:54:18 pm »
Final ball wasn't quite there and a few poor shots that on another day would have been goals. Played well against a very good team, who have been written off in the press recently, but they still have world class players.

Bayern defended brilliantly, all across the back they were great and well shielded by the midfield too. In Munich they will have to attack more so that will give us more opportunities.

As for radio commentators and pundits on the way home - what a bunch of pricks. Anyone would think we had just been held 0-0 against Schalke or something. As for Dublin saying the crowd was quiet and probably nervous, well he can piss off too.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: February 19, 2019, 10:54:54 pm »
It's people like you what cause unrest  :D

:D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: February 19, 2019, 10:55:12 pm »

The difference being that if we did that away at any of those sides I’d fancy us at home, although I’d still be nervous about the away goal.

Having watched them park the bus, albeit very well, I’m interested to see what they do to hurt us in Munich without leaving themselves massively open. They had an opportunity tonight with Van Dijk out which they won’t be getting next week.

I think anyone with a modicum of sense has respect for what was an excellent away performance, but I’m unsure what they can do to finish the job at home as I massively fancy us to get at least one there when they don’t have 3 men defending the space every time we put a ball in the box.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #464 on: February 19, 2019, 10:57:19 pm »
Not a bad result by any means. Always nice to keep a clean sheet in Europe. Let's hope it counts for something in a few weeks.

Everyone was relatively solid/on it again tonight. No one really stood out as exceptional but individual jobs were done. Impressed with Trent not looking like he's missed a game. Robbo was solid as ever and no complaints about that centre half partnership. Love the versatility of Fabinho.

Both teams defended well enough, especially Bayern who have to be the happier of both teams. Most disappointing thing from our perspective was we didn't work the keeper enough, we've seen what happens recently when we don't do it enough, such as Leicester and West Ham. Hopefully we test him from the off in Germany.

Shame not to take a lead to Germany, but the clean sheet is positive. Onto an absolutely massive game on Sunday.

UP THE FUCKIN REDS!!!
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: February 19, 2019, 10:57:41 pm »
Indeed. I had to laugh at their comparison with the Utd v PSG match. It wasn't even close to that, PSG ran the mancs ragged in that second half, whereas Bayern were happy to sit back and try and contain us. At no point did they dare attempt to take the game to us in the way that PSG did with the mancs.
They talk proper bollocks don't they.

Online mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #466 on: February 19, 2019, 10:57:47 pm »
Frustrating game but I have a feeling we're saving our goals for Sunday... 

Didn't let an away goal in and we are easily capable of getting a result out there. Will have to improve in the final third though - our final ball, interplay and decision making were awful tonight. Onwards and upwards !!
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #467 on: February 19, 2019, 10:58:57 pm »
As for the ref in the second half what happened? Did a scouse tea lady piss in his tea?
I thought he was pretty fair in the first half, but fell for everyone of their dives and missed everyone of their shirt pulls and a couple of horrible challenges. That one on Hendo was a bad one.

Timekeeping, another big bear. How can they waste about 2 minutes whist the guy is having is cramp dealt with and a substitution and two other players going down injured wasting time, Neuer taking about 45 seconds per goal kick and 5 subs and still only add 4 mins... then when a player goes down in injury time and they make a sub, he adds no time on....winds me up!
Rant over.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #468 on: February 19, 2019, 10:59:18 pm »
I just don’t get the “great game between two European heavyweights” narrative.

You didn´t think the way they used the ball was elite? It was Man City level, no other PL team comes close.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #469 on: February 19, 2019, 10:59:34 pm »
Good practice that for United.

Online Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: February 19, 2019, 11:01:00 pm »
Felt half-time came at just the wrong moment for us. We were building up a nice head of steam and I think another 10 minutes and we'd have scored. Came out in the second half and just weren't the same.

Still, 0-0 isn't a bad result and I think we have a good chance of going through.

Offline LFC-Dan

• one of the worst here!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: February 19, 2019, 11:01:19 pm »
Frustrating night, didn’t test Neuer enough, don’t remember him having a save to make. Bonus is that Bayern didn’t score, credit to them aswell, they were well organised and stifled a lot of our attacks.
Justice for the 96

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #472 on: February 19, 2019, 11:01:48 pm »
Not horrible. We're still in it. Will be a different game away at Bayern. They'll be pressuring us up high from minute one since we like living dangerously and that almost cost us tonight.

By the way, let's take a training break to Siberia next time.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #473 on: February 19, 2019, 11:03:07 pm »
One of those crazy 3-3 draws like against Sevilla will do nicely over there thanks.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #474 on: February 19, 2019, 11:03:10 pm »
Everyone could see what they doing mate - they were time wasting from about the 50th minute
I’m also not buying the first half was part of some brilliantly executed plan; they were extremely lucky not to concede
But hey ho ... good luck to them if that’s the best they’ve got. Meh.

It's all subjective, isn't it?

Suppose we all see things in different ways. I just never thought they were in trouble all night. We huffed and puffed a lot but we were never incisive. I thought they coped with us relatively easily and stuck to their plan well. To my eyes at least, it reminded me of many a Liverpool European away performance from back in the day.

I don't for a minute think that was the best they have. They came here to make sure they had it all to play for at their place. We will see the real Bayern then. What we saw tonight was simply them doing what they had to do. Hopefully we will have too much for them at their place, of course. To me, we were far from our best tonight, so there is much more to come from us.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: February 19, 2019, 11:04:11 pm »
Wont´t try to argue with how you felt, I agree too in that sense, but think the more detached analysis needs to be we did well and didn´t leave ourselves out of the return leg.
Yeah totally. I think we'll win the second leg. I thought we were the better team tonight, just a few misplaced passes off a great performance. I'm not that unhappy with the result, a clean sheet at home in the CL is always a plus. We can play better than that, and I think we will.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #476 on: February 19, 2019, 11:04:37 pm »
Frustrating night, didn’t test Neuer enough, don’t remember him having a save to make. Bonus is that Bayern didn’t score, credit to them aswell, they were well organised and stifled a lot of our attacks.

He did in the second half. They didn't get an away goal though, who knows how vital that could prove to be?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #477 on: February 19, 2019, 11:04:39 pm »
Good result in the face of injuries, illness and suspensions. Also the refereeing winds were not blowing in our favour.

They can't sit back and defend at home. We'll have VVD back in defence and Lovren too. Plus we'll have Fabinho back in midfield.

We get one goal and they are in trouble.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #478 on: February 19, 2019, 11:07:37 pm »
Howard Gayle, Howard Gayle, Howard Gayle...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: February 19, 2019, 11:07:51 pm »
Not the result I wanted, but all right. Hendo in particular was immense and the defence did well considering, but they shut up shop and we couldn't seem to get a foothold. Not enough end product from anyone near the front, and I'm including the full backs, and Alisson really needs to improve his concentration playing out the back. I'm also surprised Shaqiri didn't come on. But still, we looked the better team. Now all we have to do is deliver our first great (or even good) away performance of the season in Europe.