Author Topic: Dejan Lovren  (Read 501377 times)

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
Re: Dejan Lovren signs new long-term Liverpool contract
« Reply #2880 on: July 13, 2018, 10:53:59 pm »
The needlessly dropped points there and against Spurs and Everton will go a good way to throwing away our title chances (just off the top of my head).  Especially when we have a team racking up 100 points.

If there was a season like when Leicester won it with 70-odd points then I'd fancy our chances at the title with Lovren as a mainstay, but unfortunately I can't see anything near to that happening.
You mean when Calvert-Lewin dived? I am not sure there are many center backs that never touches the opponent in the box.

When players cheat against players, we tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. Except when there is a reason not to.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2881 on: July 13, 2018, 11:37:15 pm »
You mean when Calvert-Lewin dived? I am not sure there are many center backs that never touches the opponent in the box.

When players cheat against players, we tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. Except when there is a reason not to.

Except it is usually the other way. The experienced gnarly centre back is supposed to out fox the young pup.

Calvert Lewin was called out very publicly by the City players earlier in the season for diving. He isn't overly physical, he hasn't got explosive pace so why give him the opportunity to go down ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2882 on: July 13, 2018, 11:38:45 pm »

The reason is the aforementioned wanting to win the league.

Maybe there are other more glaring areas for improvement that I'm missing. Maybe Salah needs to score more goals, maybe Mane needs to run faster, maybe Bobby's teeth need to be whiter.

But I'll stick with the more obvious answer that maybe with a better centre back we would concede a few less soft goals that lead to dropped points.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2883 on: July 14, 2018, 12:20:14 am »
Let's use the entire past season bar the 3,4 games where he was poor he had a very good season, especially in the final.

Yes, absolutely - I'm not saying otherwise, but in general, i don't think the WC should get into the mix when discussing the players, because we've seen some top players performing like amateurs in that competition. There are just so many factors, therefore i don't take that seriously the WC or EC - for me it's just a Show.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #2884 on: July 14, 2018, 12:34:40 am »
The reason is the aforementioned wanting to win the league.

Maybe there are other more glaring areas for improvement that I'm missing. Maybe Salah needs to score more goals, maybe Mane needs to run faster, maybe Bobby's teeth need to be whiter.

But I'll stick with the more obvious answer that maybe with a better centre back we would concede a few less soft goals that lead to dropped points.

2nd half of the season we conceded least shots, least goals and had the most clean sheets in the league. They are usually good indicators that you aren't fucking up too hard at the back.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #2885 on: July 14, 2018, 12:35:47 am »
Except it is usually the other way. The experienced gnarly centre back is supposed to out fox the young pup.

Calvert Lewin was called out very publicly by the City players earlier in the season for diving. He isn't overly physical, he hasn't got explosive pace so why give him the opportunity to go down ?
Are you serious, he jumped into Lovren and fell over!

Actually , forget it. I just remember this was another circular Lovren argument that was had. I'll leave you to it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 01:50:34 am by BabuYagu »

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2886 on: July 14, 2018, 12:44:33 am »
He had a very good season, he's having a very good World Cup and I hope he wins it on Sunday.

He'll be starting alongside VVD and rightfully so, he's become a key player for Klopp and is showing why the manager rates him so highly.

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #2887 on: July 14, 2018, 01:58:41 am »
Yup. He has had a good few months. Hope he will shut his mouth though. This 'I am the best defender in the World' shit is not helping at all. Everybody is now hoping he will make a mistake to let Mbappe in to score a goal.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2888 on: July 14, 2018, 03:02:40 am »
Hope the WC performance will bring him confident (not over-confident though) to the new Prem season.
Believer

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #2889 on: July 14, 2018, 03:24:09 am »
Hope the WC performance will bring him confident (not over-confident though) to the new Prem season.

Has he increased his fibre intake?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2890 on: July 14, 2018, 05:07:13 am »
Has he increased his fibre intake?
Fiber content in the beans? That hot air is coming from somewhere...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2891 on: July 14, 2018, 08:15:22 am »
2nd half of the season we conceded least shots, least goals and had the most clean sheets in the league. They are usually good indicators that you aren't fucking up too hard at the back.
Conceding the least amount of shots in the 2nd half of the season isn't exactly the league title I'm after.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2892 on: July 14, 2018, 08:52:54 am »
Conceding the least amount of shots in the 2nd half of the season isn't exactly the league title I'm after.

Bizarre how you had a pop at someone else on the last page for giving the strawmans a good going over  ;D

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2893 on: July 14, 2018, 09:08:52 am »

Or maybe it was a good indication that the best way to get a point against us is to let us have the ball for the vast majority of the game and don't push men forward and allow us to counter attack. What killed us last season was the draws. We lost two fewer games than United but finished 6 points behind them because we drew 12 games.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2894 on: July 14, 2018, 09:25:29 am »
Or maybe it was a good indication that the best way to get a point against us is to let us have the ball for the vast majority of the game and don't push men forward and allow us to counter attack. What killed us last season was the draws. We lost two fewer games than United but finished 6 points behind them because we drew 12 games.

A lot of those draws happened during the first half of the season. We improved quite dramatically in that regard during the second half, and so had Lovren's performance. I think the difference is that we started playing smarter with our fullbacks, instead of having both bomb up at the same time, they alternated their forward runs in order not to leave our flanks exposed. That was something we had a hard time dealing with, as Lovren/Matip/Klavan had to leave the area to intercept the runner coming from wide, and ended up giving the opposition 2v1 or 1v1 opportunities against the remaining CB.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2895 on: July 14, 2018, 09:30:38 am »
Putting our defensive improvement down to other teams doing what they have for the entire time klopp has been here is pretty wild.

Also not sure why it's the best way to face us, we finished 4th, again, congrats to all those teams for stopping us and making us bad as we had our best back to back league seasons in a decade. This whilst resting players at the end of the season as we got to a champions league final. I'm sure unied fans were happier with their 6 extra points.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:32:45 am by Chris~ »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #2896 on: July 14, 2018, 09:35:32 am »
I think you missed that I wasn't being entirely serious there Al. As I mentioned before, these 3 arguments are all ones we had in the past. They were circular then. They will be circular now. Thus why repeat it? If you want my answers to the points you are raised, you should know them already when I answered them the first time. The above was just me busting your balls a little.

We just signed the worlds greatest ever 4' tall footballer. Enjoy it. :)

Al loves a bit of circular; he loves a bit of rinse and repeat, that's why we love him, we love him, we love him, we love him, we love him...........
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2897 on: July 14, 2018, 09:38:06 am »
Putting our defensive improvement down to other teams doing what they have for the entire time klopp has been here is pretty wild.

Also not sure why it's the best way to face us, we finished 4th, again, congrats to all those teams for stopping us and making us bad as we had our best back to back league seasons in a decade.

Have you only just met Al?  ;D

He has an opinion, and everything that happens is proof of that opinion being right regardless of how weird, convoluted and twisted it becomes.

The only teams in the 2nd half of the season to get a point against us by parking the bus were Stoke and Everton, both where we played very different teams as we had bigger fish to fry.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2898 on: July 14, 2018, 09:50:40 am »
Bizarre how you had a pop at someone else on the last page for giving the strawmans a good going over  ;D
Eh? Babu mentioned a few stats, and I made it clear I don't think much of them in the context of Lovren helping us to win the league.

We improved immeasurably in defence in the 2nd part of the season because of that stupendous Dutch collosus we chucked in there.

Unfortunately I still don't believe we'll be strong enough in defence to bring back no. 19 if we stick with the Croat as his partner. I just see a few too many soft goals still going in.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2899 on: July 14, 2018, 10:13:51 am »
Have you only just met Al?  ;D

He has an opinion, and everything that happens is proof of that opinion being right regardless of how weird, convoluted and twisted it becomes.

The only teams in the 2nd half of the season to get a point against us by parking the bus were Stoke and Everton, both where we played very different teams as we had bigger fish to fry.

Have you met Eel he posts more fake news than Trump. ;D

I think you must of forgotten the 2-2 draw against West Brom when we had 62% possession totally dominated the game but conceded twice as soon as West Brom had a go.

We also drew 0-0 with Porto despite having 66% possession.

It is not just draws though we lost to Swansea when we had 72% possession, lost to West Brom in the Cup when we had 69% possession, lost to United when we had 68% possession and lost to Chelsea when we had 68% possession.

All of those in the 2nd half of the season.

For me personally I think for the vast majority of games our defence has it incredibly easy. We dominate possession and teams are afraid of pushing on because Salah, Mane and Bobby are lethal on the counter attack. However when teams actually have a go at us usually after we have run out of legs and the press has faded we concede too many goals.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2900 on: July 14, 2018, 10:29:04 am »
Wow - I assumed this would be a few pages of people congratulating the only Liverpool player in the World Cup Final. How daft could I be?

Sun's shining - a few of you need to step away from the keyboard.

Could everyone picking up on Lovren's errors please write a list of any Liverpool player, in fact any player anywhere who hasn't made an error or a poor decision in their career.

Hyypia did, Lawrenson did, Hansen did, Phil Thompson did, Maldini did...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #2901 on: July 14, 2018, 10:31:44 am »
For me personally I think for the vast majority of games our defence has it incredibly easy. We dominate possession and teams are afraid of pushing on because Salah, Mane and Bobby are lethal on the counter attack. However when teams actually have a go at us usually after we have run out of legs and the press has faded we concede too many goals.

It seems that's probably a function of the way we play though, right? When we don't concede goals, it's because we're pressing. When we do concede goals, it's sometimes because we ran out of gas from pressing. Not exactly Lovren's fault?

I'm not here to be Lovren's no.1 advocate here. If we could find a second centre half that can organise the defence and do all the other good stuff Virgil does, I'd be a keen bean for it. But I don't think it's okay to insist that an assumption that players like that are abundantly available, without evidence. The statistics don't bear that out. No, statistics are not everything, but they tell a more objective version of the story than: 'I think there are loads of better players for us than Lovren' (note I've used inverted commas and not quotation marks).

Fact of the matter is, when you get right down to it, none of us know jack shit about who's good and who isn't. Relying on the 'eye test' of amateur observers to make a judgment about what qualities a player brings and how well they fit with the way we play, is fair enough to have a conversation, but it doesn't really add much value to the conversation. Looking at the numbers gets us something above and beyond your opinion and mine, because they provide more facts than is available based on casual observation.

Anyway, I think having Fabinho this season is going to make a huge different to our defence. Regardless of who plays at CB, we're going to do a lot better than we did first half last season, because they'll have a shield the way our defence hasn't had since prime Lucas - the version of Lucas whose partner was Jay Spearing. Exciting times.

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2902 on: July 14, 2018, 10:33:22 am »
Yes I agree, but surely Jurgen has brought in midfield players to stem the flow of attacks reaching our defence. To often in the later stages of a game a highway was present through the centre of the park.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #2903 on: July 14, 2018, 10:38:51 am »
Have you met Eel he posts more fake news than Trump. ;D

I think you must of forgotten the 2-2 draw against West Brom when we had 62% possession totally dominated the game but conceded twice as soon as West Brom had a go.

We also drew 0-0 with Porto despite having 66% possession.

It is not just draws though we lost to Swansea when we had 72% possession, lost to West Brom in the Cup when we had 69% possession, lost to United when we had 68% possession and lost to Chelsea when we had 68% possession.

All of those in the 2nd half of the season.

Not sure how a 0-0 draw can be used as criticism against a defender, saying his presence leads to too many conceded goals?
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2904 on: July 14, 2018, 10:39:55 am »
We also drew 0-0 with Porto despite having 66% possession

Honestly an amazing talent to argue in one thread about stats without context and then thrown this one in amongst your negative agenda.  ;D misusing possession as an indicator of dominance and also posting up that result as if we weren't coasting on a 5-0 win.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2905 on: July 14, 2018, 10:50:37 am »
Not sure how a 0-0 draw can be used as criticism against a defender, saying his presence leads to too many conceded goals?

you seem to be new.

its Al we are talking about here. He could probably link the palestinians genocide going on now to somehow being FSG fault.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2906 on: July 14, 2018, 10:55:07 am »
Honestly an amazing talent to argue in one thread about stats without context and then thrown this one in amongst your negative agenda.  ;D misusing possession as an indicator of dominance and also posting up that result as if we weren't coasting on a 5-0 win.

Almost as good a talent as cherrypicking one part of a post and then twisting it  ;).

As for a negative agenda really. Just pointing out that are defenders usually have very little to do. A perfect example would be at home to Roma we totally dominated the game but as soon as Salah went off and we looked to see the game out we conceded 2 goals.

Yet we are told that we have a great defence and people continually post how few chances we conceded in the 2nd half of the season. We conceded 6 against Roma in the semi's and 3 in the final against Madrid yet we are told the defence and keeper are good enough.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2907 on: July 14, 2018, 10:58:44 am »

It wasn't it was used as an example of teams dropping off conceding possession, barely attacking they had 1 shot on target yet getting a result against us.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2908 on: July 14, 2018, 10:59:20 am »
Almost as good a talent as cherrypicking one part of a post and then twisting it  ;).

As for a negative agenda really. Just pointing out that are defenders usually have very little to do. A perfect example would be at home to Roma we totally dominated the game but as soon as Salah went off and we looked to see the game out we conceded 2 goals.

Yet we are told that we have a great defence and people continually post how few chances we conceded in the 2nd half of the season. We conceded 6 against Roma in the semi's and 3 in the final against Madrid yet we are told the defence and keeper are good enough.

Yes exactly mate :lmao

You’re good at that too. Oops.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #2909 on: July 14, 2018, 11:03:58 am »
Can we leave the individual battles out of the discussion please? Take it to PMs or better still to Twatter. It's getting seriously fucking tedious now. Ta :thumbup

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2910 on: July 14, 2018, 11:37:55 am »
Congrats to Lovren. A World Cup and champions league final in a mater of months is impressive.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2911 on: July 14, 2018, 11:44:04 am »
thats our central defensive pairing sorted for the next 3 years at least. lovren would be 32 then and Van dijk 30.

enough time to blood in gomez at least.

who would have thought of him making to a CL and world cup final after being subbed in the spurs game. Take some sort massive mental strength for that.

to top it all up he seems to be a great teammate to be around. just ask Mo.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2912 on: July 14, 2018, 11:51:59 am »

We drew 8 games in the first half of the season and only 4 games in the second half.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%80%9318_Liverpool_F.C._season
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2913 on: July 14, 2018, 12:05:12 pm »
We drew 8 games in the first half of the season and only 4 games in the second half.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%80%9318_Liverpool_F.C._season

Plus we lost to Swansea, United and Chelsea whilst having between 68% possession and 72% possession. In those 3 games we conceded 4 goals from 8 shots on target.

So was our improved defensive record down to us becoming better defensively or was it down to teams playing a low block, ceding possession refusing to attack in numbers but still getting results.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2914 on: July 14, 2018, 12:09:05 pm »
thats our central defensive pairing sorted for the next 3 years at least. lovren would be 32 then and Van dijk 30.

enough time to blood in gomez at least.

who would have thought of him making to a CL and world cup final after being subbed in the spurs game. Take some sort massive mental strength for that.

to top it all up he seems to be a great teammate to be around. just ask Mo.

I think making the CL final might have quite a lot to do with us breaking the Champions League goalscoring record with 47 goals rather than the defence.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2915 on: July 14, 2018, 12:12:09 pm »
Plus we lost to Swansea, United and Chelsea whilst having between 68% possession and 72% possession. In those 3 games we conceded 4 goals from 8 shots on target.

So was our improved defensive record down to us becoming better defensively or was it down to teams playing a low block, ceding possession refusing to attack in numbers but still getting results.

Seems like you’re just throwing stats around without any context there Al

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #2916 on: July 14, 2018, 12:13:42 pm »
you seem to be new.

its Al we are talking about here. He could probably link the palestinians genocide going on now to somehow being FSG fault.

Yeah, only been on here for 12 years  ;)
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2917 on: July 14, 2018, 12:15:25 pm »
Lovren was superb in the CL final, is playing in the World Cup final tomorrow and some are quibbling about barely a handful of games we failed to win in the second half of last season to try and make out he's still an issue.

It's bizarre.  He's arguably in the form of his career and looks to be forming a great partnership with VVD. 

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #2918 on: July 14, 2018, 12:53:16 pm »
I hope the big fella bags the winner tomorrow.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #2919 on: July 14, 2018, 12:54:20 pm »
0 is more than -1. Get rid!