Author Topic: Lionel Messi  (Read 921835 times)

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Lionel Messi
« Reply #7400 on: September 12, 2017, 09:39:14 pm »
8 goals for the season already. Definitely on the decline, no question about it.

It's absolutely mind boggling that some wouldn't mind him at Man City. Would be nigh on impossible to win the league if he went there.

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7401 on: September 12, 2017, 09:42:23 pm »
8 goals for the season already. Definitely on the decline, no question about it.
In his pomp he would've been in double digits already. Give it a few years and he will be just your average world class top 10 player  ;)

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #7402 on: September 12, 2017, 09:43:54 pm »
It's absolutely mind boggling that some wouldn't mind him at Man City. Would be nigh on impossible to win the league if he went there.
Fucking nutcases. Messi has carried every iteration of those incredible Barça squads which says it all. Made it look so easy against last year's finalists tonight.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7403 on: September 12, 2017, 10:08:27 pm »

The amazing thing about him is that this IS him on the decline.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7404 on: September 12, 2017, 10:58:49 pm »
Best player i've ever seen hands down

Unbelievable talent, makes it all look so easy

Would love to hear him talk about his thought process in certain match situations as he takes up some very different options to most players
But would he be a star if he were to go to England? ;D

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7405 on: September 13, 2017, 12:08:23 am »
The amount of shite that get's spouted about him is baffling. I've had heated arguements with people who claim that he's only achieved what he has because Xavi and Iniesta.

The stupidity never ceases to amaze.

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7406 on: September 13, 2017, 09:29:47 am »
Feel privileged to watch him. Absolutely fucking incredible last night.
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline asim173

• Main Stander
« Reply #7407 on: September 13, 2017, 03:06:46 pm »
The amount of shite that get's spouted about him is baffling. I've had heated arguements with people who claim that he's only achieved what he has because Xavi and Iniesta.

The stupidity never ceases to amaze.

It's only when he's retired people will really appreciate what he does. Too many people caught up in the Messi v Ronaldo debate - honestly doesn't matter because they're both one of a kind.
That said, Messi's performance last night was unbelievable, and like BigAl said, it's a privilege.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7408 on: September 13, 2017, 03:24:17 pm »
Has anyone made any sarcastic comments about him 'being on the decline' yet?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #7409 on: September 13, 2017, 03:25:39 pm »

Yup many, myself included.

Wait...

Were you being sarcastic?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7410 on: September 13, 2017, 03:25:58 pm »
Yup many, myself included.

Wait...

Were you being sarcastic?

8)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline BigAl24

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7411 on: September 13, 2017, 03:38:49 pm »

Personally think he is on the decline! And that's what is absolutely terrifying about him. Compared to say 2011/12, I'd say at this point in time he's 80% of that player and yet in my opinion he's still head and shoulders above every other footballer on the planet.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7412 on: September 13, 2017, 03:48:51 pm »
Personally think he is on the decline! And that's what is absolutely terrifying about him. Compared to say 2011/12, I'd say at this point in time he's 80% of that player and yet in my opinion he's still head and shoulders above every other footballer on the planet.

Aye technically he probably is, still daft to even write that sentence though because like you say he's still easily the best player on the planet and the greatest ever.

Offline SandyShore

• "Hodgson did a very good job". someone with low shitty standards who is probably racist
  • Kopite
  • Boooooooooooooooooooom!!
« Reply #7413 on: September 13, 2017, 03:49:07 pm »
Can he make a late push for the "ballon d'or"? Still think Ronaldo will win it even if Messi has 30 league goals by december , because Madrid won everything . Team awards actually have a big factor for some reason in who gets the award between these 2 , even though it is a indiviual award.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:51:15 pm by SandyShore »

Offline BigAl24

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7414 on: September 13, 2017, 03:53:14 pm »
Aye technically he probably is, still daft to even write that sentence though because like you say he's still easily the best player on the planet and the greatest ever.

Completely agree with all of that.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7415 on: September 13, 2017, 03:58:52 pm »
Can he make a late push for the "ballon d'or"? Still think Ronaldo will win it even if Messi has 30 league goals by december , because Madrid won everything . Team awards actually have a big factor for some reason in who gets the award between these 2 , even though it is a indiviual award.

Ronaldo once won through complaining and crying and asking FIFA to extend voting. I seem to remember that he didn't win much that year.

Some people seem to think Messi had a poor season because Barca didn't win major trophies. By his standards, sure, but over the course of 2017, he's been better than Ronaldo. Ronaldo himself had a fairly mediocre season coming alive at (crucial) latter stage of the season (in CL). Otherwise, Messi scored more, created more etc. Still though, his chances look slim since Madrid won back to back CL titles, and Ronaldo scored in the final game.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7416 on: September 13, 2017, 03:58:56 pm »

There was no major international tournament this summer and Madrid won the league and CL with Ronaldo scoring 5 goals in the QF, 3 goals in the SF and 2 goals in the final. If anyone other than Ronaldo wins it this year it'll be an absolute farce.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7417 on: September 13, 2017, 04:05:12 pm »
Re Messi's (and Ronaldo's, too) decline, this is something undeniable. Even in the game vs Juve, he lost the ball several times that made me think that "in his best years, no way he loses the ball there." He is still great though, and is still the difference maker. Neymar, for all the praise he gets, wasn't able to outshine the current Messi. Though he lost some pace, acceleration, agility etc., he is still more reliable than most in tight spaces. He does the basics right, he is best at the basics.

Suarez is the one that has been surprisingly poor so far. No control, no dribbling, just nothing is going for him.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7418 on: September 13, 2017, 04:58:14 pm »
Re Messi's (and Ronaldo's, too) decline, this is something undeniable. Even in the game vs Juve, he lost the ball several times that made me think that "in his best years, no way he loses the ball there." He is still great though, and is still the difference maker. Neymar, for all the praise he gets, wasn't able to outshine the current Messi. Though he lost some pace, acceleration, agility etc., he is still more reliable than most in tight spaces. He does the basics right, he is best at the basics.

Suarez is the one that has been surprisingly poor so far. No control, no dribbling, just nothing is going for him.

Yea that flick for Messi's first was pure crap from Luis
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #7419 on: September 13, 2017, 04:59:30 pm »

Sure about that?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TNzttC31tsE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TNzttC31tsE</a>
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline SandyShore

• "Hodgson did a very good job". someone with low shitty standards who is probably racist
  • Kopite
  • Boooooooooooooooooooom!!
« Reply #7420 on: September 13, 2017, 05:06:58 pm »
Agreed, Suarez has been poor. I do worry for him as i don't think he will age well into his 30's like a Messi or Ronaldo.

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #7421 on: September 13, 2017, 07:40:37 pm »
Agreed, Suarez has been poor. I do worry for him as i don't think he will age well into his 30's like a Messi or Ronaldo.
Suarez will be grand. Playing in a good pressing side will suit him no end.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #7422 on: September 19, 2017, 10:49:06 pm »

Never ceases to amaze me how underrated Greaves is in his own country. 'Best English player ever' conversations usually revolve around Charlton, Moore & Gazza. Greaves was probably better than the lot of them.

Messi overtook Greaves after banging in 4 goals tonight vs Eibar (Messi now on 358 goals scored in a single league).

Good point on how Greaves in underrated (or even ignored) when it comes to goalscorers and great forwards etc. Wonder if it was his laid-back media persona that people who didn't see him play think he was 'just' a decent ex-pro or something?

(obviously playing in a time where there weren't many cameras at games in that time doesn't help much)

Barcelona vs Eibar highlights (Barca won 6-1) - https://www.reddit.com/r/footballhighlights/comments/716akf/barcelona_vs_eibar_la_liga_19sep2017/
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7423 on: September 19, 2017, 10:59:45 pm »
Greatest of all time

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #7424 on: September 19, 2017, 11:08:11 pm »
Greatest of all time

9 goals in 5 league games so far for him too - plus Barcelona seem a little more fluid in the attack so far this season (though early days etc)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7425 on: September 20, 2017, 07:44:04 am »
What is there left to do in Barcelona for him.Think he should try somewhere else

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7426 on: September 20, 2017, 07:58:53 am »
What is there left to do in Barcelona for him.Think he should try somewhere else

Win trophies and be idolized while living in the great city. Sounds bliss.

The challenge is to get his team back on top in Spain and in Europe.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7427 on: September 21, 2017, 06:56:58 am »
only the 4 in the last match
choose Life.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #7428 on: October 1, 2017, 10:02:47 pm »
2 more goals earlier today vs Las Palmas makes it 11 goals in the 6 league games Messi has played so far (Barcelona have played 7 league games in total - winning all 7)

He's just 5 goals behind Muller in the 'All-time Top Scorer in Europe's Top 5 Leagues' thingymajig. Muller scored 365 league goals for Bayern.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2017, 10:17:53 pm by oojason »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7429 on: October 1, 2017, 10:10:17 pm »
He's scored more goals than 13 teams in La Liga so far this season, including Sevilla who are 2nd.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7430 on: October 1, 2017, 10:49:11 pm »
He's scored more goals than 13 teams in La Liga so far this season, including Sevilla who are 2nd.
Meh. Still in decline.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7431 on: October 1, 2017, 11:47:32 pm »
Will he stick around to batter the farmers and plumbers of the Catalan League?

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #7432 on: October 2, 2017, 03:06:12 am »
Will he stick around to batter the farmers and plumbers of the Catalan League?

I thought he's already doing that in the Spanish League anyway?
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7433 on: October 11, 2017, 08:34:53 am »
Still not done it in an actual World Cup so he can’t be the best, who gives a shit about qualifiers...

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7434 on: October 11, 2017, 08:41:01 am »
Nothing special is he ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #7435 on: October 11, 2017, 08:47:11 am »

Messi's 3 goals vs Ecuador in the WC Qualifiers to help ensure Argentina qualified for the World Cup...

on 13 mins - https://imgtc.com/w/SXgqgu3
on 20 mins - https://streamable.com/z8g7r
on 63 mins - https://streamable.com/cfkyd

Magisterial ;)

http://www.flashscores.co.uk/football/south-america/world-cup/

'Messi & Suarez share record for goals in CONMEBOL World Cup qualifiers':-  (21 goals)

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/argentina/story/3226171/messi-breaks-record-for-most-goals-in-conmebol-world-cup-qualifiers

He has 61 goals in 122 international games now - 77 goals in 145 appearances if including his U20 & U23 Argentina appearances and goals.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:52:40 am by oojason »

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #7436 on: October 11, 2017, 09:14:42 am »
Beautiful set of goals, talk about stepping up.  Even the way he doesn't have to break stride to pick the ball out the net after the first.

Here's hoping he takes the rest of the season easy so he's actually fit for this one.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7437 on: October 11, 2017, 09:16:45 am »
Phenomenol by Messi, best I've ever seen from him for the Albiceleste given the context and performance.

Put in a few massive performances like that in the WC knockouts next summer, like the other greats managed to do, and he'll pretty much be universally recognised as the GOAT.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7438 on: October 11, 2017, 10:00:56 am »
The best

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #7439 on: October 11, 2017, 10:12:39 am »
But we all thought he cannot do it on a mid-week night in a strange, inclement place! At nearly 3,000 m above sea level too!

Love the guy. Unique talent and heart.