Author Topic: The 2020 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 146102 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: The 2020 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #1080 on: August 2, 2020, 06:53:10 pm »
Anyone think Albon’s penalty was harsh? Magnussen was recovering from a poor previous corner and I felt should have left Albon the room on that basis.
Yeah I did. It would have been a bit harsh to punish either driver in my humble opinion.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1081 on: August 2, 2020, 06:55:45 pm »
Anyone think Albon’s penalty was harsh? Magnussen was recovering from a poor previous corner and I felt should have left Albon the room on that basis.

Yes. If anything it was a racing incident. These cars are driving on the limit and there will be incidents that just can't be avoided. Albon was just going for a legitimate gap left by Magnusson due to his earlier mistake
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1082 on: August 2, 2020, 07:05:57 pm »

Without having watched it back I think that he (Magnussen) wasn't quite in control of the car enough to leave the room.  I agree with Brundle in that it was probably a high risk move for Albon to go up the inside there and that it showed his lack of experience in weighing the odds, just as when he recently tried the move on the outside of Lewis rather than waiting for a better opportunity.  That being said, I agree with you in that I felt that the penalty was a bit harsh and - again, without having re-watched it - I'd have probably have it as a racing incident if anything. 

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: August 2, 2020, 07:11:21 pm »
You know, maybe he actually is #blessed
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1084 on: August 2, 2020, 07:27:37 pm »
Yes. If anything it was a racing incident. These cars are driving on the limit and there will be incidents that just can't be avoided. Albon was just going for a legitimate gap left by Magnusson due to his earlier mistake

Was a racing incident for me, seems to be a need to blame every incident on someone which I don’t think is right. Taking a corner at 100 mph plus with cars only inches apart is occasionally going to go wrong, thats motorsports.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1085 on: August 2, 2020, 07:38:57 pm »
Today's live race was the perfect example of why I'm happier with CH4 1 hour highlight races, than to watch it live.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1086 on: August 2, 2020, 08:51:34 pm »
Was quite odd how Mercedes tyres were blistering the most. DAS is meant to help prevent that I thought.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1087 on: August 2, 2020, 09:52:49 pm »
Was quite odd how Mercedes tyres were blistering the most. DAS is meant to help prevent that I thought.

It’s all a bit odd, so far I have only heard it being mentioned by the commentators when there is a safety car as a means to keep the tyre temps up. Is is something that’s used on every lap or just in certain situations?
Thinking is overrated.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: August 2, 2020, 09:55:50 pm »
It’s all a bit odd, so far I have only heard it being mentioned by the commentators when there is a safety car as a means to keep the tyre temps up. Is is something that’s used on every lap or just in certain situations?

Blistering happens mainly on straights as wheels don't point directly straight but slightly outwards. But the DAS brings them in and out to heat or cool, that was my understanding. You'd think as soon as started to blister they'd be using it overtime to slow it down. Maybe theirs was worse because they were that much faster in general.

I remember during testing it was said would help with tyre blistering which mercs have had an issue with previously in hot weather. So it's a bit strange.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2020, 09:58:18 pm by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1089 on: August 2, 2020, 09:58:52 pm »
I don't think anyone really knows what the das does outside of people at merc.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: August 2, 2020, 10:15:38 pm »
Just thought it was interesting since we were talking about it a few pages ago, but with that victory Hamilton now has the exact same win percentage over his career as Jim Clark, winning 34.25% of the races he's entered.

Now just four wins shy of Schumachers record. I think it's unlikely he will, but if he were to win all of the next four in a row he could do it in exactly fifty fewer races than Michael, at Ferrari's 1000th grand prix.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1091 on: August 2, 2020, 11:16:48 pm »
Most annoying thing. Avoided result

Phoned bleeps. Google news

Gives it away

Fuck off

I was thinking too verstappen should stay out. If I didn't know result of have loved the end. Fuck off google
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1092 on: August 3, 2020, 01:22:04 am »
Might be a blip, but Renault looked like they might finally be able to compete with the Mclaren/Racing Point/Ferrari midfield. If they keep that up I can see some cracking racing next year between Fernando Alonso in the Renault, Ricciardo in the Mclaren, Vettel in the Racing Point (rumoured), Norris, and Leclarc. Maybe they can all catch Red Bull and we all watch that race and watch some racing behind the Mercedes procession ahead

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1093 on: August 4, 2020, 11:02:05 am »
Imola race weekend format

Day   Session   Time (all local)
Saturday   Practice   1000-1130
Saturday   Qualifying   1400 – 1500
Sunday   Race   1310

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1094 on: August 4, 2020, 11:25:11 am »
Imola race weekend format

Day   Session   Time (all local)
Saturday   Practice   1000-1130
Saturday   Qualifying   1400 – 1500
Sunday   Race   1310
Great to see F1 back there.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1095 on: August 6, 2020, 01:03:34 pm »
Bottas re-signs for 2021.  There goes my Hamilton/Vettel fantasy!  Thought Hulkenberg would have been a good fit there, he's definitely more talented than a lot of the grid, the Haas drivers spring to mind instantly.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1096 on: August 6, 2020, 01:08:54 pm »
zero reason why merc wouldn't re-sign bottas. he's exactly what they want.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1097 on: August 6, 2020, 01:19:11 pm »
Has Hamilton signed for next year yet?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1098 on: August 6, 2020, 01:27:22 pm »
Has Hamilton signed for next year yet?

I don`t think so. There was an interview I read about a week or so ago which suggested that he had had talks with merc and he was confident an agreement could be done.

I would be shocked if he didn`t sign a deal soon
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1099 on: August 6, 2020, 01:38:05 pm »
The name may not be on the paper yet but it'll happen.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1100 on: August 6, 2020, 01:47:23 pm »
With the rules put back and Bottas re-signing, it would basically be a free World Title for him.

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1101 on: August 6, 2020, 02:18:09 pm »
With the rules put back and Bottas re-signing, it would basically be a free World Title for him.

and the quite possibly the one that means he has more than anyone. Looks like this season is in the bag already

After that I suspect he may do 12 months somewhere like Ferrari to cap off his career. He has talked about it in the past but I suppose it will all depend on who is at Ferrari at the time and whether a deal is even feasible

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1102 on: August 7, 2020, 10:16:11 am »
The FIA have upheld Renault's protest against Racing Point's car

The FIA have handed the team a €400,000 fine and a 15-point penalty

RP found to have broken sporting regulations, not the technical regulations.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1103 on: August 7, 2020, 10:25:52 am »
Fuck all really

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1104 on: August 7, 2020, 10:28:53 am »
Not really sire how they can prove it though....

That’s the issue...
W

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1105 on: August 7, 2020, 10:58:02 am »
I think it’s a difficult situation to rule on, the reports state that Racing Point received the brake duct information last season when it was legal for that to happen but then the rules changed over winter to make it illegal. Front brake ducts are fine apparently despite being a Merc design because Racing Point used them on last years car, but the rear brake ducts were not used until this season.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1106 on: August 7, 2020, 11:00:49 am »
I think it’s a difficult situation to rule on, the reports state that Racing Point received the brake duct information last season when it was legal for that to happen but then the rules changed over winter to make it illegal. Front brake ducts are fine apparently despite being a Merc design because Racing Point used them on last years car, but the rear brake ducts were not used until this season.
Interesting .....
W

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1107 on: August 7, 2020, 11:29:21 am »
and the quite possibly the one that means he has more than anyone. Looks like this season is in the bag already

After that I suspect he may do 12 months somewhere like Ferrari to cap off his career. He has talked about it in the past but I suppose it will all depend on who is at Ferrari at the time and whether a deal is even feasible

I can’t see Ferrari wanting to sign him for a one season swan song. If the Ferrari car is good enough by then, then Leclerc is more then capable of driving it, and if it’s still poor I can’t see Hamilton wanting to go there and there’s no point in signing Hamilton and paying him huge amounts of money (certainly more then Leclerc) to watch him driving around the middle of the grid.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1108 on: August 7, 2020, 11:51:34 am »
Jolyon Palmer makes a good point, with the penalty being only 15 point and £400k fine, wouldn’t the Torro Rosso or whatever they are called now be better off taking the RB design for their car and taking the penalty?
Thinking is overrated.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1109 on: August 7, 2020, 03:24:59 pm »
Jolyon Palmer makes a good point, with the penalty being only 15 point and £400k fine, wouldn’t the Torro Rosso or whatever they are called now be better off taking the RB design for their car and taking the penalty?

It’s a crap point when you realise the circumstances are completely different. Copying another car now is blatant cheating and would possibly have the car banned, copying the brake ducts when they were legal last year but only sticking them onto the car when they’re no longer allowed to copy them is more of a grey area.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1110 on: August 7, 2020, 04:31:13 pm »
Vettel’s engine failed in a big way there...

You can actually see the oil pouring out of it...
W

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1111 on: August 7, 2020, 04:33:37 pm »
Ah remember the good old days when they could just divert that oil to the engine for better performance?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1112 on: August 7, 2020, 04:35:30 pm »
Ah remember the good old days when they could just divert that oil to the engine for better performance?
Allegedly!

W

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1113 on: August 7, 2020, 07:17:17 pm »
That Alfa Romeo is a pig this year
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1114 on: August 7, 2020, 07:32:55 pm »

;D 

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1115 on: August 8, 2020, 07:57:53 am »

Not disputing they were doing it but always wondered how that worked, I didn’t think engine oil was that flammable compared to the regular fuel.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1116 on: August 8, 2020, 08:19:27 am »

What's this in reference to? Tried googling, but was unable to find the controversy...

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1117 on: August 8, 2020, 12:53:31 pm »
What's this in reference to? Tried googling, but was unable to find the controversy...

It’s been suggest and probably true based on the drop in Ferrari powered cars performance that their engines were not just burning fuel but also engine oil which is now allowed as the amount of fuel they can use is limited.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1118 on: August 8, 2020, 12:56:28 pm »
It’s been suggest and probably true based on the drop in Ferrari powered cars performance that their engines were not just burning fuel but also engine oil which is now allowed as the amount of fuel they can use is limited.

I think there's a limit to how much you can use though and the allegation was that Ferrari had created a system that bypassed the sensors to detect the amount of oil in the fuel. Ferrari were strong last season but suffered a mysterious loss of power and performance after the FIA released a technical directive on the issue which has carried on into this season with all Ferrari powered cars being slower than last season.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1119 on: August 8, 2020, 12:57:55 pm »
I think there's a limit to how much you can use though and the allegation was that Ferrari had created a system that bypassed the sensors to detect the amount of oil in the fuel. Ferrari were strong last season but suffered a mysterious loss of power and performance after the FIA released a technical directive on the issue which has carried on into this season with all Ferrari powered cars being slower than last season.
The Ferrari boss has admitted that this has cost them power..

But no one knows what they did wrong...  and yet Racing Point have howls of derision against a grey area that’s been widely published.

Ferrari get more money, preferential treatment, the works... and they are still shite...
W