Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4121329 times)

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
Boxing thread
« on: July 31, 2005, 09:28:22 pm »
Alright everyone, thought id start this since I remember someone saying we should have one for those of us who love boxing :wave

Anyway, Robin Reid vs Jeff Lacy at the weekend, who do you pick there? Lacy has the power but from the times ive watched Rob Reid you could hit him with a hammer and he wouldnt fall over. One of the best chins in the business I think. Havent seen him as active as I would of liked since he fought Calzaghe (and was robbed imo, i had him the winner) Winner of this one takes on Calzaghe apparently, a fighter ive never rated since hes just been a hyped up creation of Frank Warren. Since he beat a well past it Chris Eubank hes irritated me. Claims he is the man but he's only left the UK once if i remember right to fight a nobody on the Tyson/Nielsen undercard. The lad he fought was well out of his depth and could of got seriously hurt. Yet Joe still hyped himself up (because apart from Frank "Ill hype them up til they leave me" Warren) nobody else really has?

Id rather see him fight Jeff Lacy, because the Reid fight wasnt a very good one if im honest. I think Lacy would be a major threat to Joe and we'd then finally know if hes any good or not. The two times ive seen him live, the first being Reid which I thought he lost up here in Newcastle a few years ago, and on the Tyson/Francis Undercard in Manchester in 2000 against Starie, ive never thought hes looked owt special.

In other news I heard Roy Jones is going to have a 3rd fight with Tarver, I think that will be a disaster for Jones like. In the last fight he had with Tarver you could easily see he was finished. I read somewhere that even Ray Charles could see his reflexes have gone. Jones should walk away from boxing now, he is a legend for what hes done, but if he keeps taking losses the way his last two fights went, when he had the absoloute fuck knocked out of him i can see him ending up being seriously hurt.

Oh aye, and watch out for a bloke named Samuel Peter, i seen a tape of him at me Uncles house the other night and I think if he keeps going the way he is, he will be the next big heavyweight name. I think if he catches anyone with his huge punch he'll put them out. Klitchkos included. This bloke he fought on the tape i seen was out cold before he hit the ground. The Americans are all talking about him and I dont think it'll be long before he becomes very well known.

:wave
« Last Edit: September 6, 2017, 12:28:35 am by SP »
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 09:48:03 pm »
I wonder if thaat Samuel Peter one was the one i spoke of on here a while back. Only saw one of his fights but good lord that was the best knockout ive seen in ages, simply phenomenol.

Not sure on the weekend though, i havent seen any of them fight in a while so can't really comment.

Good move on starting up a thread though, the guy who thought of it is a genius.  :P (Nah seriously, we needed one)
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 09:50:51 pm »
Aye mate it could well of been Peter you were talking about, think he was supposed to fight the other Klitchko, Wladimir? I dont know which is which, i get confused ;D Well he was supposed to fight one of them but Shelley Finkell was saying its fallen through over money. What power he has though, christ.

And all of a sudden i remember who it was who suggested the idea Drobs ;D

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 09:52:10 pm »
I agree that Robin Reid was robbed against Joe Calzaghe the 1st time around so I'd like to see him get a chance to set the record straight.

Mirra any news on if and when they'll be a rematch between Bernard Hopkins and Jermain Taylor?

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 09:54:18 pm »
Aye Hopkins is adamant hes having one like, I think he deserves one as well. Think it could be a lot different to the first fight, we'll see how good Taylor really is next time. No idea when it'll happen though.

Castillo and Corrales have just signed their rematch as well, hope its half as good as the first one!

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 2, 2005, 12:22:29 am »
Canny boxing match on Corrie earlier ;D

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scousers rule the country.
« Reply #6 on: August 2, 2005, 12:29:16 am »
Castillo and Corrales have just signed their rematch as well, hope its half as good as the first one!

Bloody ell if thats half as good as their first one ill be happy,  got knockdown twice and then nocked him out, that was just action action action, does anybody actualy box ameturely or pro on here ?

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 6, 2005, 10:18:35 pm »

Reid vs Lacy tonight on sky sports 2am I  think. Should be good like, come on Robbie!

Also talk of Hatton and the man above getting it on in the near future. Cant wait for that one!

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #8 on: August 7, 2005, 12:19:48 am »
If anybody on here's interested in going the next Amir Khan on the 10th September at the Cardiff arena. There's a link below tickets are from 35 quid and Joe Calzaghe is also on the bill. PS we're at Spurs on this day.

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/17003ADBBFA46DD7?artistid=821625&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=33

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #9 on: August 7, 2005, 01:16:43 am »
Gatti got his arse kicked royally that night, made a good fighter look like a part timer, quite unnerving to see actually. Ricky is such a terrier though, i dont think he'd have half the trouble - Gatti gave him so much room it was untrue, Ricky isnt about that, quite a smart lad too, no chance of him making silly mistakes like that so i'd fancy Ricky's chances with that suffocating style of his.

This thread popping up reminded me of tonights fight so...indeed...again...great idea!  :P ;D
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Will there ever be a Rainbow ?
« Reply #10 on: August 7, 2005, 02:34:28 am »
Murray looked impressive there. Dont give Reid much chance but wouldnt mind being wrong.
Come on RAWK lets ave it and you can bring your fuckin dinner as well.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/ <-- Read this JFT96

MICHAEL SHIELDS YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 7, 2005, 02:53:54 am »
I dont think Robbie can afford to be lazy like he tends to be sometimes. He has to keep his jab pumping all the time, keep busy and dont take his foot off the gas. Hes been known to do that. I think Lacy and his camp have underestimated Reid a lot, Lacy has said about hsi future plans and I hope for his sake he isnt overlooking the task ahead of him tonight. Come on Robbie! Id be made up if Reid wins, met him a few times and hes a really nice genuine bloke (even if he is a pretty bastard ;D)

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 7, 2005, 02:59:55 am »
Gatti got his arse kicked royally that night, made a good fighter look like a part timer, quite unnerving to see actually. Ricky is such a terrier though, i dont think he'd have half the trouble - Gatti gave him so much room it was untrue, Ricky isnt about that, quite a smart lad too, no chance of him making silly mistakes like that so i'd fancy Ricky's chances with that suffocating style of his.

This thread popping up reminded me of tonights fight so...indeed...again...great idea!  :P ;D

I agree with you there mate, but I just cant see anyone beating Floyd the way hes fighting lately, hes amazing. I said after seeing him destroy Gatti hes probally the best ive ever seen in my life. I still think he is, hes a tosser when hes talking and all that, but if Ricky could beat him and its very possible, then he will be a true legend. I do think Ricky will be too strong for him though, his strength at the weight is unreal, it could go either way though and thats what would make it such a great fight.

Id also love to see Ricky fight Zab Judah, hes looked awesome since he unified the belts not so long ago as well.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 7, 2005, 03:28:32 am »
Oh dear not a good start thats an easy round for Lacy and he looks quicker.

2 rounds for Lacy and Reid is looking poor.

3 rounds for lacy at least there were tow nice counter punches in that round from reid.

Maybe hes trying to wind Lacy up ? If he is its working.

4 ... either knock him out or this fights over.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2005, 03:40:41 am by ScouserTommy37 »

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 7, 2005, 03:43:38 am »
Thats disgusting fuckin cheatin bastards !!! As if hes not losing the fight! He gets decked when the ref steps in!

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 7, 2005, 03:44:25 am »
The ref was in it doesnt matter whether he said break he punched round the ref the shitbag.

Reids done this is the end of his career right here. Its like watchin Gatti all over again. Too slow taking the shots not moving throwing very little in response.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2005, 03:48:48 am by ScouserTommy37 »

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 7, 2005, 03:49:54 am »
That was a fucking disgrace! No way should that of been scored as a knockdown!

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 7, 2005, 03:52:52 am »
This fight is gettin stopped and Im ont bein funny he would have lost it theres no doubt but he got floored cos of the ref.

He's called it. That was bullshit. Another controversy for Reid. Nothing against Lacy he was just the better fighter. The ref was a disgrace.

Get him in the ring with Calzaghe lets see what this kids got cos Reid wasnt anywhere near a worthy challenge.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2005, 03:54:59 am by ScouserTommy37 »

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 7, 2005, 03:53:05 am »
Christ that Lacy is a powerful bugger isnt he? Reid was known for having a iron like chin, he now just looks like every punch Lacy lands is hurting him a lot!

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 7, 2005, 03:56:01 am »
Christ that Lacy is a powerful bugger isnt he? Reid was known for having a iron like chin, he now just looks like every punch Lacy lands is hurting him a lot!

Reid has an iron chin a lesser man wouldnt have got up. End of the day though Gatti is the same once father time catches up your feet dont move and your catching that many quality shots clean your going down no matter how good your chin is.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 7, 2005, 03:57:00 am »
Referee was awful, should be shot for his performance tonight. Shocking is all i can say, Unlucky Robbie, gutted for you mate. But yeah get Lacy in with Calzaghe asap, then we'll see how good Joe really is! Dont think many super middle weights can stand up to Lacys power after that display, hes still learning but he looks the dogs bollocks at the minute.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 7, 2005, 04:00:09 am »
Referee was awful, should be shot for his performance tonight. Shocking is all i can say, Unlucky Robbie, gutted for you mate. But yeah get Lacy in with Calzaghe asap, then we'll see how good Joe really is! Dont think many super middle weights can stand up to Lacys power after that display, hes still learning but he looks the dogs bollocks at the minute.

I know what Lacy is about thats why I didnt give a 34 year old Reid a prayer. Calzaghe is a different proposition all together. Lacy tonight had time to choose his shots an nothing was coming his way. There are holes in Lacys defence but when hes fighting someone whos not punching him he will bury them.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 7, 2005, 04:01:52 am »
I hadnt really seen much of Lacy to be honest before this fight but a few lads I know and respect told me hes one to watch, hoped Reid could pull it off as id love him to get a rematch with Calzaghe, but he looked shot tonight dont you think? Lacy if he connects with anybody flush, i think he has the power to take them out.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 7, 2005, 04:07:08 am »
I hadnt really seen much of Lacy to be honest before this fight but a few lads I know and respect told me hes one to watch, hoped Reid could pull it off as id love him to get a rematch with Calzaghe, but he looked shot tonight dont you think? Lacy if he connects with anybody flush, i think he has the power to take them out.

Just dont underestimate Calzaghe in his back yard mate. Oh and before Reid butted Lacy Lacy butted him.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 7, 2005, 04:09:57 am »
Aye Joe does have fast hands, very fast hands and great stamina. He does have a good chin as well but he does tend to get drawn into a brawl now and then, that could be costly against a banger like Lacy, it certainly has the potential to be a good fight. We'll see anyway.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 7, 2005, 04:13:26 am »
I'll be at that fight. :D

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 7, 2005, 04:17:08 am »
Big Calzaghe fan then?

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 7, 2005, 04:20:31 am »
Big Calzaghe fan then?

Ive watched a good few of his fights, wouldnt say Im a fan but I always support "our boys" as it were. Im a Gatti fan although that looks like its come to an end but my favourite fighter is Barrera. Got a lot of time for Cotto as well.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 7, 2005, 04:26:48 am »
Aye Barrera is class, him and Morales need another fight I think, out of the 3 they've had its been hard to say who the better man is. First fight should of went Barreras way, 2nd one should of went to Morales and the 3rd was too hard to tell if you ask me. One of the best rivalrys ever in boxing I think.

Gatti was class as well, his wars with Mickey Ward were brutal, was painful just to watch them! But thats why so many people love Gatti, hes not afraid to get into something like that, infact he loves it! My fav fighter at the minute though has to be Pretty Boy Floyd, hes made a believer out of me, deffo the best pound for pound in the world i think.

Ever seen much of Manny Paquicoa (spelling) If you like Gatti, you'll love Pac man, dont think hes ever been in a bad fight!

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 7, 2005, 04:30:07 am »
Pac man leathered Barrera just before the 3rd Morales fight but De La Hoya swears that Barrera wasnt ready for the fight and that he would be ready for Morales. To be fair he looked a different fighter but I think Barrera just couldnt deal with Mannys speed. Hes lightening.

What you think of the Hitman ?

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 7, 2005, 04:34:22 am »
I Like Ricky a lot, hes got that Mexican style. Keeps coming forward all the time, however ive always thought for some strange reason, just a feeling ive got that Junior Witter will beat him. Cant for the life of me explain why i think that, maybe its because Junior is so awkward to fight, i dont know. Theres some big fights out there for Hatton though, Id love to see him go out and do the likes of Corrales, Mayweather, Judah, Witter and so on. Tyszu wants a rematch but I agree with Billy Graham and think a rematch would be pointless, Hatton just walked through him last time. Dont see what Tyszu could do to change that.

Offline BootleRed

• Kopite
  • Put yerself in my shoes for a change!
« Reply #31 on: August 7, 2005, 04:39:40 am »
Just watched Reid get taken apart by lacey. I think he will give Calzaghe many a problem if they manage to get it on in November but that wont upset me too much as i've never really took to calzaghe anyway!
We're not English -We are Scouse.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 7, 2005, 04:41:01 am »
I Like Ricky a lot, hes got that Mexican style. Keeps coming forward all the time, however ive always thought for some strange reason, just a feeling ive got that Junior Witter will beat him. Cant for the life of me explain why i think that, maybe its because Junior is so awkward to fight, i dont know. Theres some big fights out there for Hatton though, Id love to see him go out and do the likes of Corrales, Mayweather, Judah, Witter and so on. Tyszu wants a rematch but I agree with Billy Graham and think a rematch would be pointless, Hatton just walked through him last time. Dont see what Tyszu could do to change that.

Tyzsu got done hes just saving face. Witter hasnt really impressed me and hes got this misplaced arrogance. Judah on the other hand commands respect and theres always the chance if hes losing a stool could fly your way :P Tricky customer.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #33 on: August 7, 2005, 12:25:30 pm »
Cant believe I stayed up to watch it. What a joke. Dont know why Reid turned up to be honest - never had any belief. Comical fight. Even after he sounded like a muppet. Moaning about getting hit after the ref called timeout. He was right but it was even for me what with his deliberate headbutt and had nowt to do with the rest of the times he was on his knees of which there were too many to count for me. Embarrassment to British boxing at its best.

Lacy V Calzaghe - dont hold much hope for Calzaghe, he just does not have the power to stop him.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 7, 2005, 12:56:23 pm »
I think its a bit harsh to say Robbie is an Embarrassment mate, to be fair I think that referee had his mind made up to act the way he did and favour the hometown boy long before the fight started. It was shocking what happened to Reid and a few people ive spoke to about it today think it should be a no contest? I dont know about that one like.

Lacy vs Calzaghe has all the potential to be a classic, Joes only been hurt once in the ring against Byron Mitchell, and he got up and knocked him out in the same round. I Think its got the potential to be anoter Benn vs McClellan job, hopefully without the tragic ending, we'll see what both fighters are made of though

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #35 on: August 7, 2005, 04:42:41 pm »
I think its a bit harsh to say Robbie is an Embarrassment mate, to be fair I think that referee had his mind made up to act the way he did and favour the hometown boy long before the fight started. It was shocking what happened to Reid and a few people ive spoke to about it today think it should be a no contest? I dont know about that one like.

Lacy vs Calzaghe has all the potential to be a classic, Joes only been hurt once in the ring against Byron Mitchell, and he got up and knocked him out in the same round. I Think its got the potential to be anoter Benn vs McClellan job, hopefully without the tragic ending, we'll see what both fighters are made of though

For me it was a no contest. Lacy was a deserved winner, no contest. He was an embarassment for me. Never looked up for it as shown by the fact he was not in the gym for the last two weeks. For me, he started the silly buggers when he turned Lacy round and rabbit punched him. Ref had fuck all to do with it for me. That was one instance and Robin was on his knees more times than a hooker in a brothel.

He should retire now much as he should have done a while back. We aint missing much if it means not having to watch debacles like last night where he was clearly boxing outside of his class.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 8, 2005, 09:28:09 pm »
Aye spike mate i seen the advert for that like, read about it in a magazine as well. Apparently Hopkins goes back to the jail he was in before he started his career, they've got a big murual of him or something. It looks good though but I think its just a sky put the boot in boxing thing myself. Why not do a series called footballers and crime as well?

Anyway i hope its decent :)

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 8, 2005, 09:55:54 pm »
Aye? Nice one id go to that one. It could be a great fight, think it'll be over here? Probally Cardiff again?

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 8, 2005, 09:59:00 pm »
Nice one, let me know if you hear owt else mate, if I can get to it (assuming its over here) we'll meet up for a few drinks.

Offline Ghazi

• Kopite
  • Chicago Mojo
« Reply #39 on: August 8, 2005, 10:04:44 pm »
That ref was atrocious. absolutely off the mark all fight long. He should never see a ring again.

Reid has some heart - that much is for certain. . .  i have been watching lacy fight for years, but i swear he is getting stronger and faster with each year. I actually winced when he landed shots. . ..something i havent done since Ike Ibeabuchi was fighting.

I think Calzaghe will give him some problems early on, but if Lacy lands, i just cant see Calzaghe not making it a brawl and getting beat down in the process.

prediction - samuel peter will KO Klitschko within 4 rounds in September. . .as if we all diudnt know. lol.
ooooooooohhh. . .the pedigree of that shot!. . . .