Author Topic: Corners- why are we so poor at them? (Dates from 2005)  (Read 75396 times)

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean

Offline Jqwerty

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Why are our corners so shit?
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2005, 08:50:51 am »
I remember Baros and Alonso used to ocassionally take corners. Quite decent ones too... Pity Baros is of much better use in the penalty box and Alonso... Well Alonso isn't exactly an option for now

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2005, 08:52:02 am »
*ahem*

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,49512.0.html

;)

Dammit  :no

Mods - can you merge the two?

(and also possibly add a function to the advanced search where you can search in titles only, and without needing to put in a user name - it would make subjects like this easier to find. I rarely try to use the search function, as the basic search throws up too many results, and not even in date order, and the advanced search wants TOO much information, like not only a search term, and what forum, but the name too (and if I want to find out if theres an article on our shit corners - how am I meant to know who wrote it, without knowing if there IS one?)

Perhaps I'm just being stupid? but I never use it, and therefore do post an odd repeat topic.  :-[

Sorry. :wave
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2005, 08:53:56 am »
i think there's a check box for 'topic titles only' or similar Nidge

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2005, 08:53:56 am »
I remember Baros and Alonso used to ocassionally take corners. Quite decent ones too... Pity Baros is of much better use in the penalty box

That's my point though - Baros is NO use in the penalty box on corners currently, because the BALL doesnt get in the box. If Baros is a better corner taker, then HE should be taking them and let the players in the box worry about scoring them - at least that gives us SOME chance, which is better than the current situation...
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2005, 08:58:44 am »
I was pretty average at football.  Used to fancy myself as a flying winger for awhile, then realised I wasn't much faster than anyone else.  Then started to base my game on Molby and stood in the centre circle spraying balls around - till people started abusing me for constantly missing their runs.
But what I could do, time and time again, was drop a corner on the penalty spot.  I wasn't the only one either - there was a couple of people who could do it in the team.  I just can't believe how hard it is to miss the first defender.  They must be trying to do something really crafty with the ball, put loads of spin on it or something, because it beggars belief how professional sportsmen can't do what I used to do in my sleep - and I was average for a uni team.

Gerrard can't take them - we should let someone else have a go - assuming they haven't already tried everyone in training.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2005, 09:01:29 am »
I was pretty average at football.  Used to fancy myself as a flying winger for awhile, then realised I wasn't much faster than anyone else.  Then started to base my game on Molby and stood in the centre circle spraying balls around - till people started abusing me for constantly missing their runs.
But what I could do, time and time again, was drop a corner on the penalty spot.  I wasn't the only one either - there was a couple of people who could do it in the team.  I just can't believe how hard it is to miss the first defender.  They must be trying to do something really crafty with the ball, put loads of spin on it or something, because it beggars belief how professional sportsmen can't do what I used to do in my sleep - and I was average for a uni team.

Gerrard can't take them - we should let someone else have a go - assuming they haven't already tried everyone in training.

It is a complete joke - I take most corners for my team too (as I'm crap in the air, and deliver a decent one) and can ALWAYS beat the first man, short of a total miskick - it's beyond ridiclous that this level of professionals, given time to compose themselves, no other player within 10 yards, and the ball placed how they want it, cannot deliver a ball into a given area, with the required height and pace.

Offline Jim Price

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2005, 09:10:27 am »
I think some people may be underestimating the degree of difficulty in whipping a corner in just over the man on the near post. Yes, it is easy to float a corner near to the penalty spot but unless its defended terribly you won't score from it.

Offline Crowdpleaser

• Main Stander
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2005, 09:15:42 am »
agree 100%, our corners are terrible, though Riise did hit a decent one last night.
Frankly I can't belive that out of an entire sqaud of first class pros not one can seem to beat the first man. The only consolation I can think of is that our defending of set-pieces looked appalling earlier in the season but this situation has largely been rectified with time.
hopefully the same will be true with this, espec. now we've got a bit more hight in the squad now.

What about Garcia? any use with the dead ball? he's certainly fuck all use in the air.

Offline worthers

• originals
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2005, 09:17:14 am »
It is a complete joke - I take most corners for my team too (as I'm crap in the air, and deliver a decent one) and can ALWAYS beat the first man, short of a total miskick - it's beyond ridiclous that this level of professionals, given time to compose themselves, no other player within 10 yards, and the ball placed how they want it, cannot deliver a ball into a given area, with the required height and pace.

Ive been moaning like a child about this for months. Its not only corners its flighting a free kick in to the box too. Rafa MUST have seen this failure FFS. These tacticians know nothing about a good old hoof to put it into the mixer  ;).
"We can not walk alone" Martin Luther King 1963

In nine years, Paisley won three European Cups, a Uefa Cup, six League titles and three League Cups. He won three European Cups in nine years, while Mr Ferguson has managed two in 24.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2005, 09:20:18 am »
We dominated Europe by being shit at corners.  Lets hope we can do that again.

we didn't dominate europe by being shit at corners, can't believe that was ever Paisleys gameplan :D

For me its got to be Riise or Kewell when he's back, not so much to do with the fact that i think Gerrards shit at dead balls (although i do), but more to do with the fact that he's a good header of the ball
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline inky2

• Legacy Fan
  • RED FOREVER
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2005, 09:42:00 am »
plus ca change.................

there used to be an lfc fanzine called ' another wasted corner'
TRACUTHB  *****

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2005, 09:56:41 am »
plus ca change.................

....plus c'est la meme chose (except for the European Cups that is)
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline HIRA

• Legacy Fan
    • Liverpool Appreciation
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2005, 10:10:54 am »
My idea is that Benitez has got us playing near post corners more often than far post corners. If we look, nowadays we usually short corners or balls lobbed to the near post. I don't think it's the best idea because lobbed or chipped corners are usually easily intercepted. But then again, I don't have a UEFA coaching license.

However, if we look at Gary Mac's corners for us, they were usually lobbed balls as well, and they were pretty effective.
Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back; a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.
- Anais Nin

http://theliverbird.blogspot.com/

Offline adamski

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2005, 10:12:45 am »
Why don't we have someone attacking the near post seeing as that's where all our fucking corners end up?
 :no

Offline singaporered

• Kopite
  • Anyone that plays for me should be a bad loser
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2005, 10:44:21 am »
The answer is simple.
Play it short to a fullback running down the wing and have him put in a cross
What man believes, man can achieve

Offline inky2

• Legacy Fan
  • RED FOREVER
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2005, 11:00:56 am »
Why don't we have someone attacking the near post seeing as that's where all our fucking corners end up?
 :no

because if we did all the corners would go to the far post. simple !!   :)
TRACUTHB  *****

Offline spencer

• Main Stander
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2005, 11:21:47 am »
The other issue with Stevie taking the corners is that it takes him out of the game; he's the ideal person to be hanging on the edge of the area, either to latch on to a loose clearance or to chase down a clearance that's gone to an opponent. At the moment we get a double negative from having him taking the actual corners.

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2005, 11:45:10 am »
The answer is simple.
Play it short to a fullback running down the wing and have him put in a cross

Yeah, it's that simple.  Tool.

I think, as stated above that people don't realise the difference between a corner at the level we might have played and the whip put on the corner at the top level.  A flighted ball into the penalty spot is piece of piss for a Premiership keeper to claim, and ccertainly almost impossible to score from as you wouldn't get the time to bullet a header in and couldn't just glance it.  We aren't the only team who struggle from them, but suspect we will score more with Morientes and Nunez in the side.

Offline campioni1984

• Fancies Paul Ince
  • Legacy Fan
  • 15 April 1989 YNWA
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2005, 01:34:12 pm »
We dominated Europe by being shit at corners.  Lets hope we can do that again.

Its something we never even practised in training for 20 odd years! When Gerrard decided to stay in the summer,was it put in his contract,that he takes every free kick and corner? Surely someone can take a better corner than Gerrard,and wouldn`t he be more dangerous from corners,on the edge of the box,for balls coming back out?
THE REDS ARE COMING UP THE HILL BOYS

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2005, 02:09:20 pm »
Guess you are all missing the point. Yes, our corners are piss poor, and yes someone should staple Gerrard's feet to teh penalty spot whenever we win one. But the idea that you can float in a corner and score a la junior footy is ridiculous. Its crap footballers that make floated corners look good. At the professional level, it has to come in head height and at speed, or not at all.... Gerrard's corners rarely beat the first man is true, but his aim is to get it into the box at that height to allow players attack it. One thing I have noticed this season has been the variation in frees and corners, and thats probably because we are piss poor at taking them....
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2005, 03:17:20 pm »
Gerrard and corners do not mix, just like mancs and personalities.

Offline redenclave

• Main Stander
    • red_enclave
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2005, 04:46:53 pm »
i think we miss the service of xabi alonso. he is a creative and intelligent player. can't wait to see him back in the team. where is he now anyway? spain or liverpool?
Few women admit their age, few men act theirs :-P

Offline myrlas