Author Topic: Corners- why are we so poor at them? (Dates from 2005)  (Read 75390 times)

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
Re: Corners- why are we so poor at them?
« Reply #160 on: August 1, 2006, 04:09:07 pm »
Now we have Pennant and Aurelio, is anyone anticipating a major improvement this season?

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: August 1, 2006, 04:42:03 pm »
Well Alonso and Gerrard are able to deliver a dead ball as well as anyone so it should make a huge difference. I suppose Aurelio being left footed just gives us more angles to work with.

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #162 on: August 1, 2006, 04:46:52 pm »
Well Alonso and Gerrard are able to deliver a dead ball as well as anyone.

And yet Gerrard rarely beats the first man ...
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline StevieG26

• Would like to be the first of offer his criticisms.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: August 1, 2006, 04:49:05 pm »
Hopefully Aurelio can bend corners from the right and Pennant from the left. That way the ball would never go out like it did so many times last season - frustratingly.
"Football is not a matter of life and death. I can assure you that it is much more important than that."

Bill Shankly.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #164 on: August 1, 2006, 06:10:19 pm »
There is absolutely no excuse for pro to bend the ball out of play from a corner. And how many times last season did we take a short corner only for defenders to run out and play us offside. Its a criminal and entirely avoidable waste of chances.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #165 on: August 1, 2006, 06:25:23 pm »
Well Alonso and Gerrard are able to deliver a dead ball as well as anyone so it should make a huge difference. I suppose Aurelio being left footed just gives us more angles to work with.

Hmmmm ............?
As has been discussed on this thread and many others, Gerrard's inability to deliver effective corners was one of the most frustrating aspects of last season. Between dicking about with short corners, inability to beat the first man, ballooning it for an easy goalie pick-off, we were pathetic on corners until later in the season when Stevie at last began to share them a little. I seem to recall at one point a stat that showed we had the highest number of corners of any prem team and lowest percentage of goals from them. Xabi was more effective but was fighting to avoid going out of play with his curl. Almost any change, this coming season, would be an improvement. Plus, Stevie is deadly on the edge of the box looking for the first ball out. I think he's wasted at the corner flag.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline The Commish

• Kopite
  • One of a Kind (4:20)
« Reply #166 on: August 1, 2006, 06:39:53 pm »
Its shocking you would think that a professional footballer getting paid so much money per week, cant even beat the near post...  ::)
When girls or chicks- whatever you prefer- check me out, its just like bees on honey! They're all over me! Hugging me and kissing me as if I was God's gift to women. Who can blame them? Just take a look at this sexy boy!

Offline Sweet Silver Song

• Rotation, rotation, rotation....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Proud not to be a hypocrite...
« Reply #167 on: August 1, 2006, 07:44:14 pm »
I seem to recall at one point a stat that showed we had the highest number of corners of any prem team and lowest percentage of goals from them.

We're historically bad at corners. Wasn't there a fanzine once called "Another Wasted Corner."
*With such simplicity the European cup is won.
**Sour-ness, will he get a shot? Now Dalglish...across the face of the goaaaalllll!
***Alan Kennedy!...He goes on...he scores!
****Liverpool need a Grobbelaar save...or a Conti miss. They've got a Conti miss!
*****And Liverpool have won it! They're back...outsiders all the way...

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #168 on: August 2, 2006, 10:23:07 am »
Now we have Pennant and Aurelio, is anyone anticipating a major improvement this season?

you forgot gonzales :D
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: August 2, 2006, 11:21:19 am »
No well I agree with Stevie being on the edge of the box and I shouldn't have made that statement. Xabi can deliver a dead ball but you're right that Gerrard struggles and I guess I put him on their by default. We didn't really have anyone else to take them, but I stand corrected.

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more
« Reply #170 on: August 2, 2006, 11:40:10 am »
And yet Gerrard rarely beats the first man ...
That's something that bothers me as well, he takes far too many free kicks and corners, same with Riise, when Alonso has a better delivery.

Offline shangtsung

• fucking thick
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • to be honest
« Reply #171 on: August 2, 2006, 11:42:03 am »
I hope Riise never takes another free kick again until he realises that blasting IS NOT THE RIGHT OPTION! He's turning into Roberto Carlos.
Watch your back.

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #172 on: August 2, 2006, 11:42:04 am »
No well I agree with Stevie being on the edge of the box and I shouldn't have made that statement. Xabi can deliver a dead ball but you're right that Gerrard struggles and I guess I put him on their by default. We didn't really have anyone else to take them, but I stand corrected.

Stevie hits a moving ball so well, it's easy to forget he's mince when it's a dead ball.
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline Notayesman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 2, 2006, 04:14:48 pm »
Thats the thing he can cross so you just presume he can do it.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #174 on: August 2, 2006, 05:36:26 pm »
Stevie hits a moving ball so well, it's easy to forget he's mince when it's a dead ball.

Lot of food for thought there. Something to do with the difference between natural, raw talent that thrives on emotion, and calculated, tutored capability. Stevie's more the former (so too is Garcia), players like Xabi and Sami the latter, though all good players have a bit of both. If you're all instinctive talent, you're better off not having time to think too much before you act. Which may be why Stevie isn't the world's best penalty taker, either.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #175 on: August 2, 2006, 06:36:30 pm »
Gerrard definitely needs to be in the middle so he can pounce on any knock-downs. Lets hope Pennant can hit a corner

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: August 2, 2006, 06:46:20 pm »

To be fair Gerrard improved a lot on his set pieces last year. Many of his corners were decent enough and you have to question people in the box sometimes not attacking them enough. I still expect Pennant, Gonzalez and Aurelio, if he's on the pitch, to start taking them though. Gerrard's not only a threat from the edge of the box but he's also one of the best in the air at the club so it'll be more of a threat to have him attacking any set pieces.

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: August 2, 2006, 07:29:58 pm »
pennant, aurellio and gonzalez should take them. they take good corners from what ive seen

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: August 2, 2006, 07:39:13 pm »
From the few seen so far, aurellio's corners have been superb. The kind that dip right near then penalty spot with pace

Offline Litherland_Leon

• OOT Feedback Tourist #1
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: August 2, 2006, 08:27:34 pm »
we really don't gerrard taking corners, he's wasted their and besides we have better corner takers than him anyway

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #180 on: August 2, 2006, 09:27:13 pm »
I feel Gerrard's better attacking the near post from corners, rather than edge of the box, where Riise, Alonso, or Gonzales would be better. Seem to remember he scored a few from corners in his younger days, particularly remember Tranmere in the cup.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #181 on: October 22, 2006, 04:14:41 pm »
Another wasteful day in this department. Mr Marvel was back to taking them, and the result was not surprising.

In fact a corner from Luis I think near the end produced a header...from a certain Gerrard who is one of our better attacking headers of the ball.

Not surprising is it? I mean he would pose a MUCH bigger threat in or around the box when we have corners..

I have tought a lot about this issue, and I really, really can't understand why he continues to take corners. He's utter shite at taking corners.

There is stats for everything these days. Is there a stat for how many goals we have scored from Gerrard's corners? He's taken hundreds of them, and I'm sure you can count on one hand how many goals we've scored.

We should take only inswinging corners IMO. Aurelio, Gonzales or Riise from one side. Pennant or Alonso from the other side.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 04:17:06 pm by myrlas »
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline StevieG26

• Would like to be the first of offer his criticisms.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: October 22, 2006, 04:18:48 pm »
It really pisses me off to see a player of Gerrard's calibre WASTED taking corners. He should be latching onto the loose ball. I've been saying this for two years and I keep being frustrated. Personally I can't remember a Gerrard corner from which we've scored.
"Football is not a matter of life and death. I can assure you that it is much more important than that."

Bill Shankly.

Offline hevves

• Main Stander
« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2006, 04:28:43 pm »
Something is bothering me.
No, not the suspicion there's a mouse under the upstairs floorboards, or the fact that I have a week's worth of paperwork to do before Monday; what's really getting to me is our poor quality at corner kicks. It's not that we so rarely score from them, it's the fact they so rarely reach their intended target. Despite having probably the tallest centre back pairing in the League-today, at least- we do not seem to make the opportunity count.
Now, I don't have my handy OPTA almanac to hand at present, but I would hazard we have a lower 'completion' rate than our supposed rivals. We are crying out for someone-anyone- to swing that ball in and capitalise on the dead ball situation. Robert at Newcastle, for all his faults (and this is by no means a ''Let's sign Laurent!" plea thread), delivers a deadly ball that consistently- and that's the key word here- causes uncertainty, panic even, in the six yard box. Our corners by contrast seem to pose opposition defences no such problem.
Why?
In Sami-and, by reputation Pellegrino- we have two forceful headers of the ball. Their prodigious height gives them an advantage over many of their opposite numbers, yet this season the record has been unimpressive.  Too often the ball clears the incoming group, and fades to the goal line; too often the cliche that corners equal pressure, goes unproved.
Perhaps this will change with the arrival of Morientes- it was interesting today to see Riise's long throw utilised once more.  But that's only half the issue- it's not the poor attempted headres that are costing us dear, it is the poor delivery of what after all must be a training ground staple. 
We have the weapons to do the damge if a quality ball is sent over.
We are selling ourselves short.

defensivly our corners are pretty sound but attacking wise were average. havin stevie take them seems like a waste of a good header of the ball and a tall lad. having Craig Douglas Bellamy on them in bordeoux seemed a better bet. his cross to crouchy was a delight.
also is it just me or is sami less of a force at attacking set plays than in the past. you used to be able to put your house on sami winning the ball under houllier but not under rafa for whatever reason. cant decide if this is just age catchin up or sumat rafas doing?

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #184 on: October 22, 2006, 04:33:05 pm »

One of the tallest players in the league in the squad and we still hit the front man... unless we go short and really fuck it up.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: October 22, 2006, 04:40:14 pm »
Today's corners were awful. Sunday league stuff.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #186 on: October 22, 2006, 04:55:59 pm »
We clearly do not practice corners enough. Ditto Free kicks. The fault for that has to lie with the coaching staff. And its inexcusable, especially in the context of our current  nstyle of play which is so conspicuously lacking in movement.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #187 on: October 22, 2006, 04:56:46 pm »
You need Gerrard on the edge of the box waiting for the header down.

We have players like Gonzalez, Pennent and Alonso who can all deliver quality balls into the box. But no, we have Gerrard taking them short or right on the head of their first man.

It needs to be sorted fast

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #188 on: October 23, 2006, 10:58:50 pm »
Yesterday should have showed Gerrard that the very last thing he should be doing other than taking penalties is taking corners.
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2006, 10:32:56 am »
I wonder what Rafa sees that we all miss? There is a general consensus on here that Gerrard should NOT take corners. He should be in the box waiting to attack the ball, or at the edge of the penalty area waiting for a knock-down. So why does Rafa allow Gerrard to continue wasting corners? Gonzales and Pennant are better on dead ball delivery, and useless in the box as they are too small and seem to lack the ability to lose their man that Garcia possesses. Assuming Rafa is the one deciding who takes the corners - which I sincerely hope -what on earth are we all missing!

Offline AussieHKRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2006, 05:40:53 am »
We score another one from corner yesterday (Palette).   Should be the third one since Bellamy scored vs. Blackburn (Crouch scored another one vs. Bordeaux). 

None of them are taken by Stevie G, by the way.

My opinion is that Xabi, Aurelio, Pennant and Bellamy are all better equipped to take corners over Gerrard.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2006, 06:08:41 am »
Either Sami or Crouchie should be the target and someone else be the foil.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #192 on: October 26, 2006, 08:37:50 am »
Age old problem I can assure you.
I was only talking to my Dad yesterday about corners.
Both of us are more than confused by gerrard taking corners.
Surely all your six footers should be in the box.
All your volleyers / long shot merchants should be on the edge or just outside the box. Ie JAR & Alonso
Anyone professional should be able to deliver a corner.

After watching Liverpool train, I came away confused that we practise no set pieces whatsoever.

I go along with others we should try either Pennant, Gonzalez or Finnan

Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Shanklys Love Child

• Kopite
« Reply #193 on: October 26, 2006, 09:01:04 am »
I don't see why Stevie shouldbe on the edge of the box for corners. He should be in the box - he's tall enough and pretty decent at headers. Had a decent chance at Old Trafford last weekend.

Agree he shouldn't be taking them though.

Offline gibber_blot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: October 26, 2006, 09:10:35 am »
Agree that Stevie shouldn't be taking them. Twice last night Reading were forced to several corners in a row... really keeps the pressure one. Fail to beat the first man, and that pressure is gone.

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: October 26, 2006, 09:13:40 am »
I wonder what Rafa sees that we all miss? There is a general consensus on here that Gerrard should NOT take corners. He should be in the box waiting to attack the ball, or at the edge of the penalty area waiting for a knock-down.

Exactly. And I'm convinced that our opponents are relieved when Stevie's taking corners. It's one BIG thing less for them to worry about when the ball comes over.

Offline PhilB

• or not PhilB? That is the question...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: October 26, 2006, 12:10:13 pm »
Last night Palletta did something that i haven't seen a Liverpool player do for years. He stood at the back post and ran into the middle and got away from his man. Everytime we take a corner now we've got Crouch, Hyypia/Carra/Agger but theres no movement from any of them, completly static.

Remeber the days of the mid/late ninghtys, we used to score loads of corners mainly Ruddock who would start on the edge of the box, charge in and meet the ball on the penalty spot. Man U had the exact same thing with Pallester. What has happened to that?

Offline RedVash

• Legacy Fan
  • ...through the storm...
« Reply #197 on: October 26, 2006, 12:19:08 pm »
...and finally we started to score from corners... 3 goals in the last 4 matches. I hope we'll keep scoring from corners cause we have usually a lot of them every match
RED is not a colour.
RED is a way of life.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #198 on: October 26, 2006, 12:23:16 pm »

The thing with SG taking corners is that he is not the best striker of a dead ball although he is the best striker of a moving ball I have ever seen. I agree with the posters who think he should either be making runs into the box or waiting outside for the loose ball.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: October 26, 2006, 12:24:50 pm »
Last night Palletta did something that i haven't seen a Liverpool player do for years. He stood at the back post and ran into the middle and got away from his man. Everytime we take a corner now we've got Crouch, Hyypia/Carra/Agger but theres no movement from any of them, completly static.

Remeber the days of the mid/late ninghtys, we used to score loads of corners mainly Ruddock who would start on the edge of the box, charge in and meet the ball on the penalty spot. Man U had the exact same thing with Pallester. What has happened to that?
Watch how Palletta uses his right arm to stop the defender coming back around in front of him. Great run.