Author Topic: Formula One - The 2023 Season  (Read 88929 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: Formula One - The 2023 Season
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2023, 09:36:45 am »
Talk of teams lobbying to increase entry fee for team andretti

Don't agree with that

When the pie gets shared equally and then there is another person to give a slice to, everyone else's gets smaller.

It's harsh but its business. There's a reason you can fit the entire history of F1 constructors on a tiny spreadsheet. It's so incestuous

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2023, 09:37:56 am »
Apparently redbull can run 10mm lower to the ground than any other team without causing porpoising.

If thats true (and that Honda Power unit is reliable) then there is no reason for any team to turn up this season

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2023, 09:42:30 am »
Thats Adrian Newey all over

adapts quicker than anyone most of the time

fella must have an IQ of about 900
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2023, 09:43:05 am »
Apparently redbull can run 10mm lower to the ground than any other team without causing porpoising.

I think this is another redbull domination when the new regs were designed for closer racing.

I thought there was a set minimum ride height this season? Are you saying Red Bull can get to that minimum height and no one else can?

Edit. Found this:

Not only have Red Bull been able to out do Mercedes by running lower to the ground but Wolff adds, “they brake later, accelerate much earlier and gain an incredible amount of time with better traction. If we approach the corners like this, we don’t even get to the apex.”

Of course during testing the cars are not scrutineered by the FIA and the teams can technically run non FIA compliant components.

Mercedes can protest RB19 ride height
Whether Toto Wolff’s observations on the ride height of the RB19 will result in a protest to the FIA will depend on how the results of the FIA scrutineers tests this Friday.

It could be the Mercedes boss is sending a coded message to the FIA to ensure the RB19 is fully compliant with the flex tests of 5mm.

Then again maybe Red Bull decided with the new ground effect regulations to design a car that didn’t push the limits too far in 2022. Given what they learned from last season, they can now push the boundaries further. If this is the case, Mercedes could be 18 months behind the curve before they deliver their Spec-B car midseason.

However, If Red Bull are ordered to reduce the flex of their chassis and stiffen the ride height of the car we saw in testing, the pecking order of last week will no doubt be upended.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 09:50:06 am by Trump's tiny tiny hands »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2023, 09:48:07 am »

And all they had to do was offer him a role in a sailing company to stay on

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #165 on: February 28, 2023, 09:51:38 am »
hahaa
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2023, 10:17:08 am »

The guy still uses a drawing board and sliderule but can design cars better than companies with million dollar CAD, CFD and FEA facilities.

I've read his mind is so analytical he's able to visualise how the air would flow over and around different surfaces without needing to model it. There was one race a couple of years ago where one of the Red Bulls got some front wing damage and they took some stills from the broadcast and showed them to him and he was able to predict the impact on downforce and lap time so they could decide whether to pit or not.

I work with a few poeple like that (different field), brains as big as a planet and they can think and talk so in-depth about their profession. But absolutely zero social skills or common sense, you wouldn't trust them to cross a road on their own  ;D   
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2023, 10:20:35 am »
I thought there was a set minimum ride height this season? Are you saying Red Bull can get to that minimum height and no one else can?

Edit. Found this:

Not only have Red Bull been able to out do Mercedes by running lower to the ground but Wolff adds, “they brake later, accelerate much earlier and gain an incredible amount of time with better traction. If we approach the corners like this, we don’t even get to the apex.”

That's odd because during testing on Saturday, Sky mentioned that Hamilton's telemetry showed he was braking later and getting on full power earlier than the Red Bulls and Ferrari. They were then speculating whether this was because those two were not showing their full potential yet.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2023, 10:41:08 am »
That's odd because during testing on Saturday, Sky mentioned that Hamilton's telemetry showed he was braking later and getting on full power earlier than the Red Bulls and Ferrari. They were then speculating whether this was because those two were not showing their full potential yet.

Purely because of the higher downforce rear wing Mercedes were using. Mercedes are miles behind again. Redbull must have the best floor which is so important now.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2023, 10:49:17 am »

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2023, 10:50:32 am »
Purely because of the higher downforce rear wing Mercedes were using. Mercedes are miles behind again. Redbull must have the best floor which is so important now.
I'm holding off any judgements until free practice 3 is finished, but my expectations are fairly low at the minute. 

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2023, 10:52:34 am »
I'm holding off any judgements until free practice 3 is finished, but my expectations are fairly low at the minute.

Really hope Ferrari have better top speed to compete against RedBull. They will have to have Leclerc as no.1 driver to compete with Max and build a car around him like Redbull do solely for Max.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2023, 11:08:42 am »
Really hope Ferrari have better top speed to compete against RedBull. They will have to have Leclerc as no.1 driver to compete with Max and build a car around him like Redbull do solely for Max.
This video is quite interesting;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X_Gluk2PpQ

Ferrari (Sainz) recorded a top speed of 325KPH, Red Bull (verstappen) 320KPH and Mercedes (Hamilton) 314KPH. Given porpoising mostly happens at high speed you'd have thought Mercedes would have been trying to get their car to go as fast as possible down the straights to test its stability.

But they also report Hamilton was able to carry a higher minimum speed through sector 1 and turns 4, 8, 10, 11, 13 and 14 which are all lower speed or higher downforce corners. It might be that Mercedes have philosphy is towards higher downforce. 

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2023, 11:24:51 am »
This video is quite interesting;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X_Gluk2PpQ

Ferrari (Sainz) recorded a top speed of 325KPH, Red Bull (verstappen) 320KPH and Mercedes (Hamilton) 314KPH. Given porpoising mostly happens at high speed you'd have thought Mercedes would have been trying to get their car to go as fast as possible down the straights to test its stability.

But they also report Hamilton was able to carry a higher minimum speed through sector 1 and turns 4, 8, 10, 11, 13 and 14 which are all lower speed or higher downforce corners. It might be that Mercedes have philosphy is towards higher downforce.

Mercedes were running a really high downforce rear wing. Redbull medium downforce and Ferrari had to use their low downforce rear wing.

You can see here

https://twitter.com/F1DataAnalysis/status/1629821681496731649?s=20

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2023, 11:34:59 am »
There a RAWK league on the official F1 fantasy?

There is now, league code C4DCDKCMM04

https://fantasy.formula1.com/en/leagues/join/C4DCDKCMM04
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2023, 11:46:25 am »
Mercedes were running a really high downforce rear wing. Redbull medium downforce and Ferrari had to use their low downforce rear wing.

You can see here

https://twitter.com/F1DataAnalysis/status/1629821681496731649?s=20
Yeah I mentioned that and posted some pictures of the rear wing comparison during testing.

I think over the last few years, Mercedes have evolved their philosphy into higher downforce set-ups so this looks like a continuation of that. Also, considering one of the issues they had last year was getting temperature into the tyres quickly, this could be a benefit and the tyre degredation might be better.

But they also complained a lot of being too draggy and that rear wing isn't going to help. I suspect we'll something similar to last season, the Mercedes won't trouble the fastest cars in qualifying but they might have betetr race pace and degredation.   

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2023, 12:31:53 pm »
There is now, league code C4DCDKCMM04

https://fantasy.formula1.com/en/leagues/join/C4DCDKCMM04

The defending Champion is once again entering :D
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2023, 09:42:35 pm »

I think this is another redbull domination when the new regs were designed for closer racing.
Cutting all that time off their wind tunnel usage for breaking the cost cap paying dividends I see.

Also, the cars need to be at least a metre shorter, and a little narrower too.  Seeing some of them through testing they're just looking even more ridiculous now.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2023, 10:39:41 pm »
Cutting all that time off their wind tunnel usage for breaking the cost cap paying dividends I see.
Don't think that will affect them until next year's car.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2023, 10:42:49 pm »

Also, the cars need to be at least a metre shorter, and a little narrower too.  Seeing some of them through testing they're just looking even more ridiculous now.

they missed a big opportunity to reduce the car sizes with the regulation changes. they're way too fucking long now.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: March 1, 2023, 09:08:49 am »
I see Albon has spoken out about how Redbull produce a car simply to suit Max's style rather than a joint effort. What a shock that news is.

I maybe wrong but I don't remember Rosberg, Bottas saying similar about Lewis?

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #182 on: March 1, 2023, 09:43:29 am »
I see Albon has spoken out about how Redbull produce a car simply to suit Max's style rather than a joint effort. What a shock that news is.

To a large extent it does make sense though when you have a clear number 1 or elite driver. It's not particularly fair on the teams other driver, but during a season those same drivers will be asked to let their team mate pass and so on.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: March 1, 2023, 09:49:31 am »

Red Bull historically used their 2nd seat to promote promising drivers from Toro Rosso / Alpha Tauri. Checo was the first deviation from that really. The likes of Mercedes and Ferrari don't have a junior / feeder team so haven't operated the same way so you can see why Red Bull's car will have been designed around the main driver.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #184 on: March 1, 2023, 10:21:38 am »
Who cares? When they've won the drivers title, they've won the constructors title. Its not up to a team to make it fair between their drivers, its up to a team to win races and win championships and I'd be very surprised if Mercedes haven't done similar with Lewis. Maybe not to the same extent, but you dont have drivers like Verstappen and Hamilton and then not design the car around their driving styles.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #185 on: March 1, 2023, 10:24:01 am »
I'm also of the view that news is much ado about fuck all really.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #186 on: March 1, 2023, 01:38:10 pm »
Alpha Tauri team principal Franz Tost says he has been assured by parent company Red Bull that it will not sell its second Formula 1 team.

Tost's remarks come in the wake of a report that Red Bull was questioning the value of the team and could sell it or move it from Italy to the UK.

Tost said Red Bull management had assured him "that the shareholders will not sell" Alpha Tauri.

"Red Bull will continue supporting the team in the future," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/64812935

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #187 on: March 1, 2023, 04:18:24 pm »

Schumacher’s team mates said the same though…. Both he and Max set up in ways others found very hard to drive.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #188 on: March 1, 2023, 07:14:21 pm »
Been listening to the '30 Days of Beyond the Grid' this week - 5/6 minute clips of some of the best interviews from over the last few years.

Found it really enjoyably actually - I've not listened to the BTG podcast before. Will try to give it a go this season.

Think the first 'new season' episode is out today.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #189 on: March 1, 2023, 07:19:12 pm »
Schumacher’s team mates said the same though…. Both he and Max set up in ways others found very hard to drive.

Same with Senna and Prost, didn't stop them winning 15 out of 16 races though. Also your first competition is your team mate, shocker that drivers want to find an advantage in a team.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: March 1, 2023, 07:26:18 pm »
Been listening to the '30 Days of Beyond the Grid' this week - 5/6 minute clips of some of the best interviews from over the last few years.

Found it really enjoyably actually - I've not listened to the BTG podcast before. Will try to give it a go this season.

Think the first 'new season' episode is out today.
Speaking of F1 podcasts, heard the little clip of Jennie Gow on the latest BBC one.  Very much hoping she makes a full recovery, she's a very good host, and fun on Fighting Talk too.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #191 on: March 1, 2023, 11:44:38 pm »
Cancelled my sky sports because it was getting ridiculously expensive.  Can anyone recommend any good streams for F1?

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: March 1, 2023, 11:58:32 pm »
Cancelled my sky sports because it was getting ridiculously expensive.  Can anyone recommend any good streams for F1?
Isnt F1 tv like 75 dollars(Idk how much it is in Pounds)

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #193 on: March 2, 2023, 08:55:07 am »
Mercedes new rear wing for Bahrain;

The barn door they ran in preseason testing looks like an attempt at sand-bagging but they're not going to have any data regarding porpoising with this wing. 

« Last Edit: March 2, 2023, 08:57:54 am by Funky_Gibbons »

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: March 2, 2023, 09:40:12 am »
Stroll to race this weekend.

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #195 on: March 2, 2023, 09:41:39 am »
Isnt F1 tv like 75 dollars(Idk how much it is in Pounds)
It’s not available in the UK (at least for live races - Sky have that monopoly). 

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: March 2, 2023, 01:08:42 pm »
Mercedes new rear wing for Bahrain;

The barn door they ran in preseason testing looks like an attempt at sand-bagging but they're not going to have any data regarding porpoising with this wing. 

I'd be more concered about them not being great around fast corners with the barn door helping them last week. They should have better top speed with that at least. Just think they're miles off in terms of downforce generated by the floor compared to redbull.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #197 on: March 2, 2023, 10:12:41 pm »
Stroll to race this weekend.

"race" is doing a lot of work there.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #198 on: March 3, 2023, 11:50:38 am »
That Ferrari rear wing is oscillating all over the place.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #199 on: March 3, 2023, 12:34:25 pm »
Unless Mercedes are getting about an extra two seconds from softs than they are from the mediums.....they're way, way, way off
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.