Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD 2023 - archived discussions about what’s offensive  (Read 1068011 times)

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD 2023
« Reply #14520 on: March 22, 2023, 11:49:51 am »
Nunes would be a strange signing.

I could understand us signing him last year, after impressing in Portugal. But we let him wait to have a PL audition before signing him. He's failed that audition, and now we're going to sign him for an increased fee based on his form in Portugal? Why didn't we sign him last summer then?

Make it make sense.

Thing is, you never know.  Masch was rather poor for West Ham and struggled to get into their team but became a beast when he signed for us.  If Jun wants him, then we have to keep the faith and support him.
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14521 on: March 22, 2023, 11:52:29 am »
Thing is, you never know.  Masch was rather poor for West Ham and struggled to get into their team but became a beast when he signed for us.  If Jun wants him, then we have to keep the faith and support him.

Yes, fair enough, but why didn't we sign him last summer then? Also, why would we let Wolves make a profit on a player whose stock has fallen?

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14522 on: March 22, 2023, 11:52:30 am »
I mean sure but remember when Gerrard was the greatest young English midfielder ever only to become Engalnds greatest midfielder ever

The thing with Bellingham is if he doesn't improve at all from here and just replicates his current level AND he burns out from 25 (so worse case scenario on level and longevity) - we'd still get 5 years of one of the best CM's in Europe for about 20 million a year ... (and he is still improving fwiw)

I get where you are coming from, but I don't want us to spend/risk all our money on one player when we clearly need around 3 quality midfielders to come in.
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14523 on: March 22, 2023, 11:53:45 am »
We're trying to sign both though it's not one or the other. I think Nunes could be that belated, solid-but-unspectacular Wijnaldum replacement (Wijnaldum got a lot of stick at Newcastle). Mount is more likely linked as a Bellingham alternative.

If we wanted Nunes it seems nonsensical that we didn't just sign him last summer rather than pay more a year later, when he hasn't done particularly well.

Getting both would mean we’d spend over £150m and still not address one of our most concerning positions which is defensive midfield. Seems madness to me.

And if the plan was to pay a premium by allowing Nunes to gain some premier league experience for a season, it’s clearly not looking like he’s shown to be worth that value. Granted, he’s playing for a crap side, but you’d still expect to see some real moments of quality over the course of the season.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:56:26 am by amir87 »

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14524 on: March 22, 2023, 11:55:56 am »
Yes, fair enough, but why didn't we sign him last summer then? Also, why would we let Wolves make a profit on a player whose stock has fallen?

I have no idea, the same might be said about Joao Gomes if he comes good.  Last season was the time to bring in some untested promising midfielders as we still had enough senior ones in our squad.  This summer, we need to bring in some proven quality.  I'd still prefer that in the future we went down the route of buying potential, rather than over spending too much on players we could have had (and were linked to previously).

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14525 on: March 22, 2023, 11:56:46 am »
Getting both would mean we’d spend over £150m and still not address one of our most concerning positions which is defensive midfield. Seems madness to me.

And if the plan was to pay a premium by allowing Nunes to gain some premier league experience for a season, it’s clearly not looking like he’s shown to be worth that value. Granted, he’s playing for a crap side, but you’d still expect to see some real moments of quality over the course of the season. I have a mate who’s a Wolves fan and he’s said he looks tidy on the ball but hasn’t offered much else in a defensive or attacking sense.

Exactly. Why would we pay a premium for someone who hasn't impressed at all? If anything, £5-10m should be shaved off the already inflated fee, based on his uninspiring performances this season.

I'm not dead set against signing him, but the numbers bandied about are absolutely laughable.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14526 on: March 22, 2023, 11:57:54 am »

Masch I think is a bit of an exception because while not used at West Ham, when he was used for Argentina and prior to the move to West Ham, he was always something special.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #14527 on: March 22, 2023, 12:08:21 pm »
Exactly. Why would we pay a premium for someone who hasn't impressed at all? If anything, £5-10m should be shaved off the already inflated fee, based on his uninspiring performances this season.

I'm not dead set against signing him, but the numbers bandied about are absolutely laughable.

The thing with him is he doesn't look like h'es close to elite at anything apart from carrying the ball.
Stats aren't everything, especially defensive stats for midfielders (it sucks fbref doesn't have pressures / pressure regains) but he's just never 'popped' in anything apart from being dribbly including when he was in Portugal. His passing is really difficult to defend for a player whose supposed to be a 50 million quid top 4 potential type
This is backed up with the eye test where he's pretty anonymous until he does his 1 or 2 carries a game through midfield which are really attention grabbing - he's the sort of player a bad scout would get excited about (tall, moves really well, can beat a man etc)
Maybe he's being totally misused at Wolves somehow but as it stands if you were to look at our squad and write down what our midfield needs then go and look for players that could fit the bill I don't see how he'd be anywhere near it
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 12:09:56 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14528 on: March 22, 2023, 12:18:10 pm »
Adrien Rabiot, potential free agent in June: “I loved Liverpool a lot because I was a bit fan of Steven Gerrard, who made me dream… and so therefore I followed the Reds”, told Tuttosport

“My other idol was Zinedine Zidane”.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14529 on: March 22, 2023, 12:19:53 pm »
I feel largely the same about Nunes, couldn't really understand the fuss when he went to Wolves outside of Pep lauding him (while making no effort to sign him). Just seems like an okay player who's fine at everything but isn't especially quick and doesn't stick out. Signing him as a squad option is fine but at £50 million I'd rather just give Curtis Jones or even Tyler Morton more game time to develop and spend the money elsewhere.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14530 on: March 22, 2023, 12:21:45 pm »
Adrien Rabiot, potential free agent in June: “I loved Liverpool a lot because I was a bit fan of Steven Gerrard, who made me dream… and so therefore I followed the Reds”, told Tuttosport

He's fucking shite, thinks he is the best player in the world despite being shite and will expect treatment and pay in line with his incorrect assumptions of himself, and his agent/mum is a pain in the arse as well

Did I mention he was fucking shite at all as well?

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14531 on: March 22, 2023, 12:26:10 pm »
He's fucking shite, thinks he is the best player in the world despite being shite and will expect treatment and pay in line with his incorrect assumptions of himself, and his agent/mum is a pain in the arse as well

He is actually a decent player
Probably more goals combined than all our midfielders this season.

So if he is shit as you say he is then our midfielders bar Thiago are now at a worse level.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14532 on: March 22, 2023, 12:27:24 pm »

He obviously isn't shite - he just started a World Cup final, he's been playing well for Juventus this season and would probably walk into our current midfield in terms of form and ability. But the drama and baggage that comes along with him makes it a non-starter.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14533 on: March 22, 2023, 12:28:04 pm »
He's been brilliant this season to be fair, carrying Juve. But obviously a no for us given his lack of career consistency and don't really need to add what will be a 28 year old on a massive deal to the old guys that will still be here.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14534 on: March 22, 2023, 12:31:23 pm »
He is actually a decent player
Probably more goals combined than all our midfielders this season.

So if he is shit as you say he is then our midfielders bar Thiago are now at a worse level.

Yeah our midfield is shit. Rabiot still isn't the level that we want in a midfielder. Also we talk about Mount wanting high wages, Rabiot would want stupid money

He obviously isn't shite - he just started a World Cup final, he's been playing well for Juventus this season and would probably walk into our current midfield in terms of form and ability. But the drama and baggage that comes along with him makes it a non-starter.

I do genuinely think he is bad, not at top 4 premier league level. Yeah he walks into our midfield but our midfield is shocking. He is not the level we want.

He seems like a signing Barcelona would make; mediocre and high wages. To be honest I actually wouldn't be shocked if he ends up there

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #14535 on: March 22, 2023, 12:37:19 pm »
Yeah our midfield is shit. Rabiot still isn't the level that we want in a midfielder. Also we talk about Mount wanting high wages, Rabiot would want stupid money

I do genuinely think he is bad, not at top 4 premier league level. Yeah he walks into our midfield but our midfield is shocking. He is not the level we want.

He seems like a signing Barcelona would make; mediocre and high wages. To be honest I actually wouldn't be shocked if he ends up there

He's crap, you may as well keep Arthur. Huge stepdown from the likes of Kante, France having him playing in midfield at the World Cup. Got overrun in midfield a few times as a result.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #14536 on: March 22, 2023, 12:58:21 pm »
Ox and Keita should not have been allowed to play out their last year, if we weren't going to try hard enough to keep them (or try at all) then move them on. If they were valued enough then they'd have been offered the deals, they're at a prime age, therefore sell them on. I

It's not solely the clubs decision if a player leaves.

The leverage the club have when a player is down to 12 months on his contracts lessens. Even more so when the player the manager still rates them and they may get chances of game time in that final 12 months.

Klopp is never going to freeze out a player for not leaving. He hasn't done that once in his Liverpool career unless there has been a disciplinary reason. When team spirit and culture are a key identity you can't be discarding players or freezing them out and not expect it to impact negatively.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14537 on: March 22, 2023, 01:02:38 pm »
It's not solely the clubs decision if a player leaves.

The leverage the club have when a player is down to 12 months on his contracts lessens. Even more so when the player the manager still rates them and they may get chances of game time in that final 12 months.

Klopp is never going to freeze out a player for not leaving. He hasn't done that once in his Liverpool career unless there has been a disciplinary reason. When team spirit and culture are a key identity you can't be discarding players or freezing them out and not expect it to impact negatively.

I totally understand that and its been discussed before. However, are we not going to struggle if we are in a position where we struggle to get some players off the books, considering the importance of incoming money to our transfer budget, which appears to be one of the primary ways we amass our budget?

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #14538 on: March 22, 2023, 01:07:18 pm »
Remains to be seen how Bellingham will play in a system where he is second fiddle to the more established stars in attack and right back. The days of a Coutinho or a Gerrard whereby inspiration comes from midfield for goals and assists aren’t as prevalent anymore and regimented template seems to be how Klopp operates.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14539 on: March 22, 2023, 01:15:45 pm »

Was he poor for West Ham? Think it was always clear he was a great player but combination of Pardew being manager and him maybe not wanting to be there/the murky ownership situation just meant he didn’t get used much.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #14540 on: March 22, 2023, 01:23:05 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2023/mar/22/liverpool-midfielders-sign-summer-jurgen-klopp

Jude Bellingham, Borussia Dortmund
Ryan Gravenberch, Bayern Munich
Gabri Veiga, Celta Vigo
Otávio, Porto
Youri Tielemans, Leicester
Orkun Kokcu, Feyenoord
Florian Wirtz, Bayer Leverkusen
Youssouf Fofana, Monaco
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14541 on: March 22, 2023, 01:24:34 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2023/mar/22/liverpool-midfielders-sign-summer-jurgen-klopp

Gabri Veiga, Celta Vigo
Otávio, Porto
Orkun Kokcu, Feyenoord
Youssouf Fofana, Monaco

Fofana got shot down as shite on this forum but I watched a random game involving Monaco and I thought he stood out quite well.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14542 on: March 22, 2023, 01:27:25 pm »

Gabri Veiga, Celta Vigo
Otávio, Porto
Orkun Kokcu, Feyenoord
Youssouf Fofana, Monaco

Sign them all.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #14543 on: March 22, 2023, 01:30:10 pm »
Still no designated 6 there, although it seems Fofana can play there but it doesn't seem to be his main position.

It's actually quite an impressively terrible list  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14544 on: March 22, 2023, 01:31:28 pm »
Still no designated 6 there, although it seems Fofana can play there but it doesn't seem to be his main position.

Declan Rice. Pair him up with his cockney mate (via Portsmouth), Mason Mount.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14545 on: March 22, 2023, 01:34:58 pm »
Get me Wirtz!

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14546 on: March 22, 2023, 01:38:13 pm »
Yeah, Wirtz over Mount any day of the week.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14547 on: March 22, 2023, 01:43:34 pm »
Didnt he suffer an ACL rupture recently?

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #14548 on: March 22, 2023, 01:49:32 pm »
He's also less of a midfielder than Mount is.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #14549 on: March 22, 2023, 01:49:38 pm »

Seems the question nowadays should be, who hasn't :P

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14550 on: March 22, 2023, 01:50:33 pm »
I think we dont need an attacking midfield player. So I am unsure about these Mount links.

We have Eliott,Carvalho & even Gakpo who can play in that position but we wont be playing 4-2-3-1 very much
We know Mount can play in a midfield 3 but he isn't really what we need

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14551 on: March 22, 2023, 01:51:57 pm »

Yes but he's only 19 so what's the Wirtz that could happen?

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #14552 on: March 22, 2023, 01:53:41 pm »

Manchester United signing all over, that is.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #14553 on: March 22, 2023, 01:58:16 pm »

Probably because he was linked with LFC.  ;D
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14554 on: March 22, 2023, 02:04:27 pm »

Gabri Veiga, Celta Vigo
Otávio, Porto
Orkun Kokcu, Feyenoord
Youssouf Fofana, Monaco

Just so there isn't confusion, we aren't actually being linked with these players, it is just some guy saying "Liverpool should be looking at these players"

So this isn't a transfer list of options, it's just some guys opinion

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14555 on: March 22, 2023, 02:31:40 pm »
Bellingham signs a Liverpool shirt for a young fan and Liverpool.com write a whole article about it. Football media is such a state of shite.

These dickheads have made Bellingham bigger than the club. Utterly desperate.

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14556 on: March 22, 2023, 02:34:23 pm »
Bellingham signs a Liverpool shirt for a young fan and Liverpool.com write a whole article about it. Football media is such a state of shite.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

I seen that, people raving about it.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #14557 on: March 22, 2023, 02:38:15 pm »

Thought that was the official site for a second
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14558 on: March 22, 2023, 02:39:20 pm »

Not recently but he's come back and playing really well.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14559 on: March 22, 2023, 02:40:38 pm »
Just so there isn't confusion, we aren't actually being linked with these players, it is just some guy saying "Liverpool should be looking at these players"

So this isn't a transfer list of options, it's just some guys opinion

Gabri Veiga, Celta Vigo
Otávio, Porto

Orkun Kokcu, Feyenoord
Youssouf Fofana, Monaco

Linked to in bold.