Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 294301 times)

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
Re: Cody Gakpo… welcome to Liverpool
« Reply #1800 on: March 19, 2023, 04:38:53 am »
I'm starting to think though that the move of Gakpo from the wing to the center is more that he's not a great athlete, especially in comparison to Nunez. Yes he's got a good top speed but I'm sorry the guy has an extremely slow first step and really no burst. If you were to then ask him to run up and down the wing all game he may not be able to cover the ground fast enough to effect both ends of the field and I think we saw that with how bad some of his performances on the wing was. Nunez on the other hand is an athletic freak to the point that while it may not be the best use of his skillset sticking him out there on the left it's better than the alternative of sticking Gakpo out there and then in theory you're getting the best of both.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1801 on: March 19, 2023, 08:38:07 am »
The shouts explaining his signing by pointing to us playing 4-2-3-1 in the future with both him and Nunez down the middle, Diaz on the left and Salah on the right forget that we want our best paid, best, increasingly old attacker as close to goal as possible. Asking Salah to do all the defensive work that being on the left of a 3 in a 4-2-3-1 requires AND forcing him to stay out wide because 2 players are inside him is not a good idea.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1802 on: March 19, 2023, 10:19:11 am »

Which should be obvious to anybody who has half decent knowledge of the game and every fucker who has kicked a ball towards an opposing teams goal.

Some of the posts throughout the site are beyond embarrassing,no marks thinking they have a better understanding than the boss and snide c*nts calling out players claiming that their mindsets and effort are personal choices,c*nts posting cuntish opinions to other c*nts who then run with it.

Same c*nts are usually very quiet when things are going well though,funny that.

Never mind being very quiet when things are going well some have only joined recently to revel in our misery.

Epic trolls, all of them.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #1803 on: March 19, 2023, 10:34:53 am »
The shouts explaining his signing by pointing to us playing 4-2-3-1 in the future with both him and Nunez down the middle, Diaz on the left and Salah on the right forget that we want our best paid, best, increasingly old attacker as close to goal as possible. Asking Salah to do all the defensive work that being on the left of a 3 in a 4-2-3-1 requires AND forcing him to stay out wide because 2 players are inside him is not a good idea.
Yeah, I think we will stick with the 433 / 442 diamond. Nunez and Salah as advanced wingers (or Diaz/ Jota) and Gakpo as false nine.
Gakpo as a winger makes little sense when we have so many options on the left. Also he just doesnt look like a Klopp winger to me. But it's always good to have players with different qualities.

I think we have a great set of attackers, just a bit injury prone. If we can fix the midfield, I'm not worried about us scoring goals.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1804 on: March 19, 2023, 11:39:21 am »
All we are doing now is trying to limit the damage of our midfield not being able to defend. We don't know the plan for Nunez or Gakpo yet.

Whenever we have a good run under Klopp it's always predicated on clean sheets. Since the defeat at Wolves we've only conceded 1 goal in the league and that was the game we lost at Bournemouth. But then we never looked like scoring once we went behind or away at Palace in the 0-0.

Ultimately whatever we do we're garbage away from home this season and find it impossible to make it work with such a dysfunctional midfield. The games we've won away are usually built around nabbing an early goal or two and hanging on for dear life. We could at least drop deeper, keep compact and try and hit teams on the break, we've tried everything else. The goal Bournemouth scored though is exactly the nonsense goals we give away all the time and we've got away with a few in the recent clean sheets.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 11:42:52 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1805 on: March 19, 2023, 12:06:45 pm »
We should definitely buy Mount for double the money, twice the wages and get similar numbers that Gapko will give us in the role behind the front three of Diaz, Salah and Nunez. 😉

Might as well play him in the 10 area for the rest of the season especially with Diaz on the way back fingers crossed. Can't do us any harm to see if the lad can do a job linking midfield with the front line
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1806 on: March 19, 2023, 02:57:46 pm »
So he's not a good athlete now,something everyone missed before we bought him  ::)

Down to the Boss as well eh Dave. :wanker
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1807 on: March 19, 2023, 03:24:03 pm »
So he's not a good athlete now,something everyone missed before we bought him  ::)

Down to the Boss as well eh Dave. :wanker

Amazing how someone who is not a good athlete manages to turn and burst away from players game in game out. Amazing how many times he manages to sprint and keep up with the likes of Darwin and Mo when we counterattack. With his second goal against United being a prime example.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1808 on: March 19, 2023, 03:31:52 pm »
I'm starting to think though that the move of Gakpo from the wing to the center is more that he's not a great athlete, especially in comparison to Nunez. Yes he's got a good top speed but I'm sorry the guy has an extremely slow first step and really no burst. If you were to then ask him to run up and down the wing all game he may not be able to cover the ground fast enough to effect both ends of the field and I think we saw that with how bad some of his performances on the wing was. Nunez on the other hand is an athletic freak to the point that while it may not be the best use of his skillset sticking him out there on the left it's better than the alternative of sticking Gakpo out there and then in theory you're getting the best of both.
If we're saying you have to have an extremely high top speed to be a great athlete then sure that probably excludes him. But I think you can see how much Gakpo has physically improved in line with his new positions and responsibilities, with the game and training time.

In his last game for us he played the pseudo 8 role in our midfield, completing the set of our system's three most physically demanding roles (the 8, the wide forward and the 'Firmino role' - which our fittest 8 Gini described as being punishing), and showcased his ability to get up and down the pitch with his goal saving cover in our box chasing back their counter. I think it's also been pretty evident that while neither of them are like Mane/Salah, Gakpo seems to have better stamina and last longer in games (granted they're built entirely different here, and so it makes sense that Nunez is more of a 'save his sprints for our attacking situations off the last man number 9 type, whereas Gakpo is more perpetual (and slightly slower) himself more in line with a midfielder.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 03:34:02 pm by classycarra »

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1809 on: March 20, 2023, 02:36:15 am »
If we're saying you have to have an extremely high top speed to be a great athlete then sure that probably excludes him. But I think you can see how much Gakpo has physically improved in line with his new positions and responsibilities, with the game and training time.

In his last game for us he played the pseudo 8 role in our midfield, completing the set of our system's three most physically demanding roles (the 8, the wide forward and the 'Firmino role' - which our fittest 8 Gini described as being punishing), and showcased his ability to get up and down the pitch with his goal saving cover in our box chasing back their counter. I think it's also been pretty evident that while neither of them are like Mane/Salah, Gakpo seems to have better stamina and last longer in games (granted they're built entirely different here, and so it makes sense that Nunez is more of a 'save his sprints for our attacking situations off the last man number 9 type, whereas Gakpo is more perpetual (and slightly slower) himself more in line with a midfielder.

No. He has a fast top speed but it takes him a while to get going. If you were to watch his highlights from the Eredivisie he has an athletic advantage that lets him do the same thing over and over, cut to his left foot and cross/shoot. Now in the PL he no longer has that advantage and if you ask him to cover a wing he can't actually contribute at both ends. If you move him to the middle though where he doesn't need to initially be moving into space and doesn't have to come back so far then he can contribute more. We see that with his goals where he's breaking into the box after the move has already started forward or we're in settled possession in the attacking third.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #1810 on: March 20, 2023, 01:53:12 pm »
He's faster than Firmino ever was, so of course he could do that role.

Klopp likes his wingers extra quick with a side of fast and sprinkled with rapid. Not sure he fits that mould, and I dont think that was ever the plan.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1811 on: March 20, 2023, 02:02:11 pm »
Never mind being very quiet when things are going well some have only joined recently to revel in our misery.

Epic trolls, all of them.

Not really misery is it though? We're having a bit of an average season after a few years of absolute delightful football.

We fix a few things, get probably a couple of new signings and maybe move some players on that it's not quite working and start again next season.

If you're a fan and you can't cope with the odd bad run then you're watching the wrong sport. We've been poor in the past and then gone on great runs and won stuff against all the odds and we will do again.

The best time to support us is when it's going badly. It's a piece of piss to get behind the lads when it's going well - a bit different when we're having a bit of a wobble as evidenced by some of our so-called 'fans'.

But their their loss. If they going to act like a shower of crying knobends when they should be supporting then they shouldn't really be celebrating when it goes right. But they will be, obviously and being smug and up their arses about it too. Precisely the things that other fans when I've spoken to them hate about certain Liverpool fans and every club has them.

Hey ho.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1812 on: March 20, 2023, 04:25:29 pm »
No. He has a fast top speed but it takes him a while to get going. If you were to watch his highlights from the Eredivisie he has an athletic advantage that lets him do the same thing over and over, cut to his left foot and cross/shoot. Now in the PL he no longer has that advantage and if you ask him to cover a wing he can't actually contribute at both ends. If you move him to the middle though where he doesn't need to initially be moving into space and doesn't have to come back so far then he can contribute more. We see that with his goals where he's breaking into the box after the move has already started forward or we're in settled possession in the attacking third.

Did you actually see his second goal against United?  He received a pass on the edge of his own area held off Antony played in Mo and then sprinted 70 yards and then scored with a sublime finish. That is pretty much the definition of contributing at both ends.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1813 on: March 20, 2023, 04:46:10 pm »
Not really misery is it though? We're having a bit of an average season after a few years of absolute delightful football.

We fix a few things, get probably a couple of new signings and maybe move some players on that it's not quite working and start again next season.

If you're a fan and you can't cope with the odd bad run then you're watching the wrong sport. We've been poor in the past and then gone on great runs and won stuff against all the odds and we will do again.

The best time to support us is when it's going badly. It's a piece of piss to get behind the lads when it's going well - a bit different when we're having a bit of a wobble as evidenced by some of our so-called 'fans'.

But their their loss. If they going to act like a shower of crying knobends when they should be supporting then they shouldn't really be celebrating when it goes right. But they will be, obviously and being smug and up their arses about it too. Precisely the things that other fans when I've spoken to them hate about certain Liverpool fans and every club has them.

Hey ho.

Well relative misery then. ;D

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1814 on: March 20, 2023, 06:01:56 pm »
Did you actually see his second goal against United?  He received a pass on the edge of his own area held off Antony played in Mo and then sprinted 70 yards and then scored with a sublime finish. That is pretty much the definition of contributing at both ends.

I think Dave was skiing during the United game.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1815 on: March 20, 2023, 06:24:58 pm »

Its still unclear really though how this whole attack functions. Its something that will take time but there are still questions and Gakpo is a part of that.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1816 on: March 20, 2023, 10:47:32 pm »
what's funny is even the first goal against United also counts against his suggestion (he's deeper than Robertson on the halfway line showing for Alli when the move stars, who instead plays it to Robbo). So he transitioned from dropping into midfield to help the keeper start to build an attack, to fashioning a shot a few seconds later (aka contributing at both ends)

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1817 on: March 20, 2023, 11:40:24 pm »
what's funny is even the first goal against United also counts against his suggestion (he's deeper than Robertson on the halfway line showing for Alli when the move stars, who instead plays it to Robbo). So he transitioned from dropping into midfield to help the keeper start to build an attack, to fashioning a shot a few seconds later (aka contributing at both ends)

Which is pretty much what you would expect of a false 9.

Playing the False 9 means you have more defensive responsibility and drop far deeper than the two wide forwards. Playing more centrally actually means that Gakpo has to contribute more at both ends.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline deanloco9

• Kopite
« Reply #1818 on: March 21, 2023, 12:16:04 am »
Feel like he's did good so far! Don't know why people are getting on his back when he's coming into a new team in a bad moment

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1819 on: March 21, 2023, 11:13:13 am »
Feel like he's did good so far! Don't know why people are getting on his back when he's coming into a new team in a bad moment

Because some people for some reason want to prove or force this idea that our successful process of identifying players changed because some individuals at the club have more power. So they keep saying stuff like he doesn't fit or doesn't look like a Klopp player despite Klopp being the one who decides the system and choose Gakpo.

And some people just won't admit the fee we paid for him is money well spent so they can blame the same individuals and not the low budget for not adding a midfielder.

Both too coward to blame Klopp himself or the owners lack of investment. If you think he isn't a good player or doesn't fit say Klopp fucked up. If you want to blame someone for not adding a midfielder blame FSG because Klopp needs to take risks because of the low budget even after all this success we had under him.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 11:19:40 am by Egyptian36 »

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1820 on: March 21, 2023, 11:52:38 am »
Because some people for some reason want to prove or force this idea that our successful process of identifying players changed because some individuals at the club have more power. So they keep saying stuff like he doesn't fit or doesn't look like a Klopp player despite Klopp being the one who decides the system and choose Gakpo.

And some people just won't admit the fee we paid for him is money well spent so they can blame the same individuals and not the low budget for not adding a midfielder.

Both too coward to blame Klopp himself or the owners lack of investment. If you think he isn't a good player or doesn't fit say Klopp fucked up. If you want to blame someone for not adding a midfielder blame FSG because Klopp needs to take risks because of the low budget even after all this success we had under him.

You are spot on. The usual suspects are just using Gakpo to score points. He has made a decent start to his career here and it is way too early to judge him. Ironically he is doing about as well as Bobby did in his first season. It's almost as if a link player needs to adjust to his team mates and especially their movements.

Trying to use Gakpo as a diversion from the lack of transfer spending is just unfair on the lad. A lack of planning saw Origi, Mane, Bobby and Mo all entering the final year of their deals within 12 months of each other. Add in Shaqiri and Taki leaving and it was absolutely essential that we brought in new forwards.

That lack of planning has meant a complete rebuild of our forward options instead of a gradual refresh. We have had to bring in Diaz, Nunez and now Gakpo within a 12-month period. The money we have spent on forwards has been absolutely essential.

We now need to do something similar in the summer with the midfield. To somehow blame the signing of Gakpo for that is bizarre in the extreme.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline jepovic

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #1821 on: March 22, 2023, 11:48:09 am »
A lot of the negativity around Gakpo comes from the fact that everyone was waiting for a midfielder, and then he came instead. Now we have lots of options in attack but we need to use the kids in midfield.

I don't think Liverpool signed him instead of a CM, it was an opportunistic move, but it certainly looked like that.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1822 on: March 22, 2023, 12:43:39 pm »
A lot of the negativity around Gakpo comes from the fact that everyone was waiting for a midfielder, and then he came instead. Now we have lots of options in attack but we need to use the kids in midfield.

I don't think Liverpool signed him instead of a CM, it was an opportunistic move, but it certainly looked like that.

I think you are right.

Personally, I think the issue with the midfield is that a lack of spending has meant that we need to go huge on ready-made players that will improve us in the here and now and who can be fixtures for a significant period. Those players simply were not available within our budget in January. We have gone past the point of bringing in young talents and trying to develop them.

Gakpo who presumably has been a long-term target was available on a cut-price deal because of PSV's money issues.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1823 on: March 22, 2023, 01:34:42 pm »

And a lot of it is pushed by people who seem to have an axe to grind with regards to the boss with the odd ONE or two who go silent after good wins only to pop up in the same few threads spreading the same shit as is in here.

Same shit they posted in the FSG threads but that will just be a coincidence.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1824 on: March 22, 2023, 07:34:30 pm »

Not fashionable to say it but this seems spot on to me

You look at the way the move unfolded and the comments around it and it comes across that way

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1825 on: March 22, 2023, 07:40:44 pm »
Not fashionable to say it but this seems spot on to me

You look at the way the move unfolded and the comments around it and it comes across that way

Yep, it's quite clear to me that was the case.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1826 on: March 22, 2023, 07:43:52 pm »

Exactly why this is problematic. Most people's best case scenario is Gakpo learns and grows into being better but we need a midfielder right now. Gakpo may never get better, this may be what he is. Plenty of similar options out there for attackers we can add in the summer which maybe would be Gakpo or maybe not but losing out on CL or hell even Europa because we still have no midfielders just screams stupidity of the highest order.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1827 on: March 22, 2023, 07:46:05 pm »
Exactly why this is problematic. Most people's best case scenario is Gakpo learns and grows into being better but we need a midfielder right now. Gakpo may never get better, this may be what he is. Plenty of similar options out there for attackers we can add in the summer which maybe would be Gakpo or maybe not but losing out on CL or hell even Europa because we still have no midfielders just screams stupidity of the highest order.

I don’t think one midfielder would have solved this team and really we should have been able to buy a midfielder anyway, irregardless of signing Gakpo or not.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1828 on: March 22, 2023, 07:47:25 pm »
I don’t think one midfielder would have solved this team and really we should have been able to buy a midfielder anyway, irregardless of signing Gakpo or not.

This is the biggest issue that is excused or overlooked, we should have been able to buy both… we aren’t poor

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1829 on: March 22, 2023, 07:49:44 pm »

This is the biggest issue that is excused or overlooked, we should have been able to buy both… we aren’t poor

One midfielder may not have made us beat Real Madrid but it certainly would have helped against Bournemouth.

People seem to be forgetting that we only had one open registration spot so to buy more than one player would require not registering someone in the PL squad on top of not registering more than just Melo in the CL squad.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1830 on: March 22, 2023, 07:50:27 pm »

You talk as if you almost don't want him to get better. And he's already pretty good right now. I find it astonishing you want to cling to the hope that a 23 year old player coming to a new league and a new system for a team that is somewhat broken will not be able to improve over the next couple of years.

If we don't get Europe it won't be just because we didn't get a midfielder. And if we would have signed one, who is to say that midfielder would have hit the ground running? Would you have been saying after about a dozen games that X is just what he is, and he might not get better? Because if you don't think that discussion would have been had then the hypocrisy is astounding.

I would have liked a midfielder in January, alas one wasn't forthcoming. That isn't Gakpo's fault though. And regardless, signings and planning for players isn't always linear, and Gakpo is here now and doing pretty well. He'll improve bundles by the way as time goes on.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1831 on: March 22, 2023, 07:53:28 pm »
One midfielder may not have made us beat Real Madrid but it certainly would have helped against Bournemouth.

People seem to be forgetting that we only had one open registration spot so to buy more than one player would require not registering someone in the PL squad on top of not registering more than just Melo in the CL squad.

This discussion has been had but if we were about freeing up a space then we should have deregistered Arthur. If we are talking about pissing him off vs saving our season, it’s quite an easy choice.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1832 on: March 22, 2023, 07:58:11 pm »
You talk as if you almost don't want him to get better. And he's already pretty good right now. I find it astonishing you want to cling to the hope that a 23 year old player coming to a new league and a new system for a team that is somewhat broken will not be able to improve over the next couple of years.

If we don't get Europe it won't be just because we didn't get a midfielder. And if we would have signed one, who is to say that midfielder would have hit the ground running? Would you have been saying after about a dozen games that X is just what he is, and he might not get better? Because if you don't think that discussion would have been had then the hypocrisy is astounding.

I would have liked a midfielder in January, alas one wasn't forthcoming. That isn't Gakpo's fault though. And regardless, signings and planning for players isn't always linear, and Gakpo is here now and doing pretty well. He'll improve bundles by the way as time goes on.

Gakpo's improvement or not is immaterial to the here and now. European football finance is fluid. Who ever thought 10 years ago we'd be making more than ManU? So while it's great to take swings on youth players Gakpo isn't a youth player, didn't cost and isn't being paid like a youth player, we had one player spot and we chose to add someone that seemingly solves nothing, even long term, to our current issues as it pertains to keeping our financial status. Your correct in that none of this is Gakpo's fault and therefore this doesn't even really belong in this thread. But I do think it's true what the other poster said in that fans reaction to him is certainly colored by this truth whether you like it or not.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1833 on: March 22, 2023, 08:01:30 pm »
This discussion has been had but if we were about freeing up a space then we should have deregistered Arthur. If we are talking about pissing him off vs saving our season, it’s quite an easy choice.

You say that but here we are where we have about a half a dozen players registered that the same thing could apply to. My guess is there's probably something to do with squad harmony and selling FSG that we have to pay players to stay home after telling them the group was sufficient.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1834 on: March 22, 2023, 08:03:08 pm »
Gakpo's improvement or not is immaterial to the here and now. European football finance is fluid. Who ever thought 10 years ago we'd be making more than ManU? So while it's great to take swings on youth players Gakpo isn't a youth player, didn't cost and isn't being paid like a youth player, we had one player spot and we chose to add someone that seemingly solves nothing, even long term, to our current issues as it pertains to keeping our financial status. Your correct in that none of this is Gakpo's fault and therefore this doesn't even really belong in this thread. But I do think it's true what the other poster said in that fans reaction to him is certainly colored by this truth whether you like it or not.

But that poster has said it isn't true. It's there in the quote in black and white. He/she said we didn't sign him instead of a midfielder.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1835 on: March 22, 2023, 08:04:32 pm »

Given his age profile and room for improvement I'd say he very much solves things in the long-term. The age profile of our squad isn't great by and large but in Gakpo, Diaz, Nunez and Jota we're pretty good. He's especially useful if we are priming him for the false 9 role (but that discussion has been had and I won't go over it again).

A new shiny midfielder in the window just gone would not have been a magic fix. Look at the problems we have, look at the problems certain players have. One midfielder alone wouldn't have solved some of those issues, even if some are exacerbated by systemic problems within the team. Let's not forget, a new midfielder would have had the same issues Gakpo faces, in that the team is somewhat dysfunctional, things aren't great and you've go to bed them in and get them up to speed. It would have taken a leap of faith to put the new midfielder into our team and expect things to have improved massively straight away.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1836 on: March 22, 2023, 08:05:06 pm »

But that poster has said it isn't true. It's there in the quote in black and white. He/she said we didn't sign him instead of a midfielder.

He said he didn't personally believe it but it's why he thinks certain people react to Gakpo as they do. I'm saying I agree with that.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1837 on: March 22, 2023, 08:05:59 pm »
You say that but here we are where we have about a half a dozen players registered that the same thing could apply to. My guess is there's probably something to do with squad harmony and selling FSG that we have to pay players to stay home after telling them the group was sufficient.

I’d like to think that FSG and Klopp have enough trust to be able change tact at any moment based on changing circumstances. Especially when you factor in that Arthur suffered a long term injury.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1838 on: March 22, 2023, 08:09:49 pm »
He said he didn't personally believe it but it's why he thinks certain people react to Gakpo as they do. I'm saying I agree with that.

Agreeing with his/her statement or the sentiment that fans have?

Because you've spent a lot of time just on this page talking about how it's effected us negatively signing him instead of a midfielder.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1839 on: March 22, 2023, 08:17:55 pm »
I’d like to think that FSG and Klopp have enough trust to be able change tact at any moment based on changing circumstances. Especially when you factor in that Arthur suffered a long term injury.

Considering they'll never say otherwise all you and I have to go on is what actually happened.

Agreeing with his/her statement or the sentiment that fans have?

Because you've spent a lot of time just on this page talking about how it's effected us negatively signing him instead of a midfielder.

Agree with the sentiment that he is noting even though he personally doesn't agree with it.

A lot of time? Hah, sure...