Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 294146 times)

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
Re: Cody Gakpo… welcome to Liverpool
« Reply #1600 on: March 5, 2023, 11:04:48 pm »
In case you didn't know, I was being incredible sarcastic and I'll post the same thing every time he scores. Because I was lectured about him being a pointless signing and not fitting in etc :D

Yeah, we got that.  ;)
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1601 on: March 5, 2023, 11:14:25 pm »
This is not a dig at you specifically but I’ve always hated the term ‘hold up play’. I know I’ve used it before but I still find it to be very archaic. It always sounds like the attack is being held up until the reinforcements arrive. But that’s nothing like how we played, especially today.

I found what Gakpo was doing today was more like ‘transitional play’. He constantly has his head up with the ball at his feet both looking for outlets and communicating with his teammates. He’s not stuck there with his back to goal waiting for reinforcements, he’s getting the ball and facilitating for it’s onward movement. Today was the first I’ve seen us form triangles now in midfield in a long time, with Gakpo as the facilitator. With it, we managed to cut through Casemiro and Fred quite easily, could have put them both in body bags after halftime.

I can get behind this, transitional play  :thumbup

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1602 on: March 5, 2023, 11:15:41 pm »
You can see why his finishing might have piqued the interest of our analytics guys. Absolutely sensational touches today. Looks like he as a lot of goals in him

Funnily enough, he was never a player who was absolutely destroying Eredivisie in terms of goal scoring, unlike players like Vincent Janssen or Bas Dost etc. Cody was a very well-rounded player though and created tonnes of goals too.

You could see how he has the qualities to become an elite goal scorer though. The combo of speed, size and technique he brings is going to be hard to stop for most defenders. What Klopp and Co have done is the same as what we did Salah, put him in a system where he is playing narrower and spending more time closer to the goal.

I think he is going to be a key player in our team for years to come.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1603 on: March 5, 2023, 11:38:55 pm »
Some posts from a few pages back are embarassing, if you're not banging them in in your first 2/3 games then you're considered a flop. Saw him at the World Cup, he was quality.
Wonder where this guy is now.
Haha at least that guy is comparing him to a player - Dave McCoy was saying spending 40mil on him was like lighting money on fire (among many other daft things). 

Having said that, I hope he continues spouting that kind of silly stuff (like he's no better than Chamberlain, or that Carvalho could arguably be starting over him, saying he should ideally be dropped, or that he's a black hole for the ball) because it seems to have a great reverse jinx effect on his goalscoring
« Last Edit: March 5, 2023, 11:42:02 pm by classycarra »

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1604 on: March 5, 2023, 11:42:44 pm »
I remember him getting pelters on social media after a first few matches, Man Utd fans giving it the big one about how Ten Hag pulled a fast one over Jurgen.

:D
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #1605 on: March 5, 2023, 11:44:30 pm »
so i was right what position he should be used in but jesus I was wrong about his ability level . Proved me wrong . Was like henry with them finishes . Absolute sensational performance .
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1606 on: March 5, 2023, 11:56:01 pm »
Some posts from a few pages back are embarassing, if you're not banging them in in your first 2/3 games then you're considered a flop. Saw him at the World Cup, he was quality.
Wonder where this guy is now.

In mourning on red cafe I suspect.

Offline johnathank

• youverymuch
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1607 on: March 6, 2023, 12:08:43 am »
5513 or 14060?

:)
Prefer the four digit.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1608 on: March 6, 2023, 12:14:14 am »

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1609 on: March 6, 2023, 12:21:21 am »
Haha at least that guy is comparing him to a player - Dave McCoy was saying spending 40mil on him was like lighting money on fire (among many other daft things). 

I love that guy! Even when the lads had a terrible game you could rely on McCoy to make things appear a hundred times worse than they were - and therefore in a weird way, a hundred times better.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1610 on: March 6, 2023, 12:56:02 am »
Chipping/dinking a ball that’s running from behind you is a pretty tricky skill. Made it look so easy.

Absolutely. Also impressed with how far back he actually is at the start of that. Luke Shaw's positioning is hilarious.

Offline KloppCorn

• Kopite
« Reply #1611 on: March 6, 2023, 12:56:04 am »
He’s a baller. I hope you are around in 3-4 weeks when he will be on fire.

His pass to Jota today to split the whole Palace defence in half which Jota didn’t manage to get into his stride. Nunez,Salah and Diaz will love that. He’s getting used to the shit refs in this country not giving him fouls ever. Wait until he tweaks his shielding. Sorry Bobby but I wouldn’t extend anymore. We have Gakpo and maybe get a younger version or release Carvalho from the basement ffs. As an alternative to Nunez and Jota upfront.
it’s clicking ahead of schedule ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1612 on: March 6, 2023, 12:57:54 am »
Sturridge enjoyed Cody's second goal.  ;D

https://twitter.com/DanielSturridge/status/1632436718681968644

Cody my brother my Brodie Gakpo. With a cheeky chicken dipper. This is the @LFC
 we know and love… the glass is half full baby.

Offline KloppCorn

• Kopite
« Reply #1613 on: March 6, 2023, 01:03:19 am »
Sturridge enjoyed Cody's second goal.  ;D

https://twitter.com/DanielSturridge/status/1632436718681968644
Miss prime studge every day. English Rivaldo

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1614 on: March 6, 2023, 01:21:40 am »

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1615 on: March 6, 2023, 01:56:31 am »
Both his goals were class. Well in, lad.

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #1616 on: March 6, 2023, 04:42:26 am »
He doesn't have incredible acceleration like Torres did (few do!) and his running style looks somewhat languid, but he's got some very nice speed in those legs once he's up and running.  Already a few times this year I've seen him sprint the length of the field and keep up with Salah/Nunez.  Looking forward to seeing this kid develop over the next few years.
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1617 on: March 6, 2023, 05:23:25 am »
He needs a song... a really good one. :)

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1618 on: March 6, 2023, 06:09:51 am »
Cody will be first in line to take over once De Bruyne hands over his crown as the best player in the league.

Different type of player. Same game-winning impact.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2023, 06:13:02 am by FLRed67 »

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1619 on: March 6, 2023, 06:46:36 am »
He needs a song... a really good one. :)

Gakpo, Gakpo, Man
I want to be a Gakpo Man
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1620 on: March 6, 2023, 07:05:28 am »
He doesn't have incredible acceleration like Torres did (few do!) and his running style looks somewhat languid, but he's got some very nice speed in those legs once he's up and running.  Already a few times this year I've seen him sprint the length of the field and keep up with Salah/Nunez.  Looking forward to seeing this kid develop over the next few years.

The really key thing about him is that although he may not look lightning quick off the ball, he loses very little speed on the ball and can really motor. That combined with the languid style you describe really catches defenders out I think. The finish for the first goal today was absolutely sublime.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1621 on: March 6, 2023, 07:15:16 am »
I don't like Nunez wide left but I wonder if this guy is going to enable much more fluidity than we could ever have with Firmino (who didn't have the speed/ running with the ball ability to play LF). It was really encouraging to see the 2 of them switching around at various points, most obviously for the first goal. 

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1622 on: March 6, 2023, 07:31:42 am »
Gakpo, Gakpo, Man
I want to be a Gakpo Man

He said a really good one 😉

Did make me laugh though
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1623 on: March 6, 2023, 07:40:38 am »
He said a really good one 😉

Did make me laugh though

We all want to be a Gakpo man
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1624 on: March 6, 2023, 07:50:56 am »
Gakpo, Gakpo, Man
I want to be a Gakpo Man

Haha Brilliant :)

For the youngsters on here. YouTube ’macho man’ by The Village People

Offline LifelongRed, Sussex

• Kopite
« Reply #1625 on: March 6, 2023, 07:57:26 am »
I remember him getting pelters on social media after a first few matches, Man Utd fans giving it the big one about how Ten Hag pulled a fast one over Jurgen.

:D

Laugh all you want, they lucked out with £86m Antony.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1626 on: March 6, 2023, 08:22:19 am »
Does he look a bit like Dele Alli? ;D

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1627 on: March 6, 2023, 08:25:39 am »
I love that guy! Even when the lads had a terrible game you could rely on McCoy to make things appear a hundred times worse than they were - and therefore in a weird way, a hundred times better.

Nah he's a fucking blert
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #1628 on: March 6, 2023, 08:33:07 am »
the great thing about gakpo and nunez is that through all the shitty time we've had just lately, they've always tried their hardest

and now they're being rewarded for that - and rewarding us too  ;D
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1629 on: March 6, 2023, 08:59:14 am »
I love this boy. The Bobby is (not quite) dead. Long live the Cody. His turn of pace is underestimated. His ability to accelerate away from his man is going to leave a lot of teams scrambling. Finishing absolutely sublime too. He’s brilliant technically. The best is probably yet to come too.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1630 on: March 6, 2023, 09:02:49 am »
Some people have been made to look very, very stupid on here. It's almost as if people don't learn

He was so good yesterday, he's always moving, always available and he's a battler as well. Great finishes, that 2nd one won't get the recognition it deserves, should be in with a shout for goal of the season

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1631 on: March 6, 2023, 09:10:52 am »
Both finishes were excellent and he got himself more involved than he has previously.  Starting to come together for him.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1632 on: March 6, 2023, 09:15:59 am »
His boyhood hero was Tim Sherwood.....hence the celebration after his second...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1633 on: March 6, 2023, 09:20:53 am »
Replacing Firmino was always going to be difficult, and it seems that we have managed to do it ...

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1634 on: March 6, 2023, 09:52:00 am »
The criticism he got by some on here. Shameful.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1635 on: March 6, 2023, 09:56:10 am »
The criticism he got by some on here. Shameful.

Elements of our fanbase have disgraced themselves this season. It's actually been quite limited on here compared to other platforms.

The disdain shown towards the likes of Nunez, Gakpo, Fabinho, Elliott, Henderson, Gomez and Lijnders at times as been horrid.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1636 on: March 6, 2023, 10:02:03 am »
The talent is there. He's still only 23 which is quite young. Even Trent is older than him.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1637 on: March 6, 2023, 10:02:59 am »

Dave is an absolute legend of the boards (not in a good way)
« Last Edit: March 6, 2023, 10:08:13 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #1638 on: March 6, 2023, 10:08:21 am »
Some people have been made to look very, very stupid on here. It's almost as if people don't learn

He was so good yesterday, he's always moving, always available and he's a battler as well. Great finishes, that 2nd one won't get the recognition it deserves, should be in with a shout for goal of the season

This is why I don't worry for him and why he stood out to me a season or so back, he has the right mentality. Something didn't work? He goes again. He wants to make the difference.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1639 on: March 6, 2023, 10:08:39 am »
Elements of our fanbase have disgraced themselves this season. It's actually been quite limited on here compared to other platforms.

The disdain shown towards the likes of Nunez, Gakpo, Fabinho, Elliott, Henderson, Gomez and Lijnders at times as been horrid.
Glad I don't check other platforms ;D Even the main board on here is arduous at times.

Agreed some shocking stuff been aimed at individuals this season.

Back to Gakpo, him & Nunez had quiet first halves really which is the most satisfying thing when you see what they did in the second ;D