Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 452743 times)

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #6800 on: March 16, 2023, 05:46:27 am »
The Bellas have removed all the WWE stuff from their social media and are now going by their real names.

It's because they've got some upcoming show on Amazon which conflicts with the WWE copyrights for the reality shows they did on other networks.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6801 on: March 16, 2023, 09:49:40 am »
Really enjoyed that Dynamite, some great callbacks for longer-term viewers at the top and tail. Aubrey Edwards certainly winning the "Rick Knox award for not remotely enforcing the legal men in a multi-man match involving The Elite" this week.

The Outcasts storyline is better having got past the "Ruby's loyalty" bit, but still not clicking. It's the three Heels, against a whole slew of Faces in including the world champion & 2 former world champions. The dynamic is off, but thanks to the rationale behind the faction they can't just throw numbers in to support the Heels.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6802 on: March 16, 2023, 10:49:58 am »
Really good Dynamite I felt, really set up some good feuds.

I like the 4 pillars angle for a feud, I think that really works. I didn't like too much the insider baseball jabs at MJF getting everything and burying Rampage - don't make the company the heel, but I LOVED Darby's version of it which was "I love this company, I hate the crybabies in the back, including you MJF"

Elite helping out Hangman is awesome again, I really love it. I would say this maybe leads to Blood and Guts with a tag team joining BCC and Adam Cole or Bryan Danielson or Eddie Kingston or Konosuke Takeshita joining Elite/Hangman, can then branch off into different feuds going into DoN.

I definitely think it should be one of the Adams beating MJF and the more I look the more I think it should be Adam Page. They really need to solidify this guy as THE face of the company, the go to guy for a hero - like your Cena or your Takahashi or your Sting - the guy you know can always be a hero, and always be a hero champ or challenger  if needs be.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 10:52:28 am by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline Wolverine

• Main Stander
« Reply #6803 on: March 16, 2023, 11:31:27 am »
Adam page, the guy sucks can't cut a promo to save his life his first title run was dreadful felt like a mid-carder was champion the guy has no charisma, he looks like he is going to cry every time he speaks  , honestly just keep the belt on MJF the company is full of dorks who belong in NJPW.

Ricky starks is the one he has the charisma and mic skills to have a good run and the feud with MJF will be epic.

Also fuck off the win loss record it's not UFC ffs who gives a shit about win and losses we know its fake, it's always been about the story and characters , the actual wrestling is the least important part of it.

Tony Khan just runs this company like a die hard mark for nerds they really need to think about the casuals more.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 11:51:05 am by Wolverine »

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6804 on: March 16, 2023, 11:55:33 am »
Adam page, the guy sucks can't cut a promo to save his life his first title run was dreadful felt like a mid-carder was champion the guy has no charisma, he looks like he is going to cry every time he speaks  , honestly just keep the belt on MJF the company is full of dorks who belong in NJPW.

Ricky starks is the one he has the charisma and mic skills to have a good run and the feud with MJF will be epic.

Also fuck off the win loss record it's not UFC ffs who gives a shit about win and losses we know its fake, it's always been about the story and characters , the actual wrestling is the least important part of it.

Tony Khan just runs this company like a die hard mark for nerds they really need to think about the casuals more.

I would have to disagree that the wrestling is the least important part of it, but you will be happy to know the Rankings have been gone for like 6 to 8 months now so yeah, quite current criticism that  ;D

I do agree on Starks, and they did have a brilliant little mini feud. He is absolutely championship material, maybe the next go around after MJF

Offline Wolverine

• Main Stander
« Reply #6805 on: March 16, 2023, 12:00:47 pm »
Hahah fair enough and maybe I was Harsh on Adam page but his first run was so forgettable I don't think he has the IT factor really.

I am sure I saw the win loss record still come up they do need to get rid of that!

Yes agreeed Starks vs MJF would be great for AEW it could actually gain some mainstream attraction would be some epic promo clips trending which does more than any match could.

That 1st promo battle they had was a great tease!

I look at like this, great story and characters and you only need the actual match to be serviceable , look back to Austin and Undertaker Feud all kinds of crazy shit and most the matches were just solid nothing mind blowing but nobody cared, it's still one of the greatest feuds in WWE.

I just think modern wrestling is all in ring action, the writing is so shit and half arsed if they actually tried it could be so much better and engaging.

I never get the feeling of I can't wait to tune in next week or leaving the show on a cliff hanger anymore, it's just filler match after match.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 12:05:40 pm by Wolverine »

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6806 on: March 16, 2023, 12:12:19 pm »
The win/loss records are still tracked and appears in the chyron (& on the roster pages), it's the weekly Top 5 that was downplayed towards the end of last year and then apparently abandoned entirely.

I think part of Page's problem was being the publicly-annointed champion-in-waiting since even before Omega won the belt, it was just a queston of timing. So everyone knew the reign was coming, and it was going to have a lot to live up to. Then he wasn't really champion for that long (I think he had 2 feuds?) before it went to Punk. Given what happened to the title picture since, it does feel like it was a 'blink and you missed it' reign, but that's not on Page.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6807 on: March 16, 2023, 12:34:50 pm »
The win/loss records are still tracked and appears in the chyron (& on the roster pages), it's the weekly Top 5 that was downplayed towards the end of last year and then apparently abandoned entirely.

I think part of Page's problem was being the publicly-annointed champion-in-waiting since even before Omega won the belt, it was just a queston of timing. So everyone knew the reign was coming, and it was going to have a lot to live up to. Then he wasn't really champion for that long (I think he had 2 feuds?) before it went to Punk. Given what happened to the title picture since, it does feel like it was a 'blink and you missed it' reign, but that's not on Page.

Thing is he had a relatively long reign, it is just the nature of the PPV's. He had the belt for 7 months, but that was only 1 PPV. He feuded with Bryan, Archer, Adam Cole, then dropped to Punk. And to be fair, the feuds and matches were fucking awesome.

I do think they could do with more big shows, PPV or not, just ending events. Maybe not 1 every 3 weeks like WWE but also not one every 3 months like AEW at the moment. They added Forbidden Door as a show (coming again June 25th btw, I am somewhat considering going actually because Toronto is cool as a holiday anyway) but maybe a few more for April, maybe push Grand Slam a bit later, have one in January or February, just break up the long cycles a bit. I also think Winter is Coming is a good one, but it needs to be on a bit later after Revolution I feel to be truly effective for a feud ender

I think with rounding off this Moxley feud and getting back with the Elite, he is due a title win again at All Out. Either him, or Adam Cole are the best current candidates I would say in terms of pure babyfaces, and a pure babyfaces is needed to beat the pure heel that is MJF.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 12:40:06 pm by Stockholm Syndrome »

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6808 on: March 16, 2023, 12:37:01 pm »
Hahah fair enough and maybe I was Harsh on Adam page but his first run was so forgettable I don't think he has the IT factor really.

I am sure I saw the win loss record still come up they do need to get rid of that!

Yes agreeed Starks vs MJF would be great for AEW it could actually gain some mainstream attraction would be some epic promo clips trending which does more than any match could.

That 1st promo battle they had was a great tease!

I look at like this, great story and characters and you only need the actual match to be serviceable , look back to Austin and Undertaker Feud all kinds of crazy shit and most the matches were just solid nothing mind blowing but nobody cared, it's still one of the greatest feuds in WWE.

I just think modern wrestling is all in ring action, the writing is so shit and half arsed if they actually tried it could be so much better and engaging.

I never get the feeling of I can't wait to tune in next week or leaving the show on a cliff hanger anymore, it's just filler match after match.

I would say in terms of Dynamite at least, which they are improving on I think and last night is a show for it, is trying to run an episode through line story. Something that happens early and finishes at the very end. They did it with the BCC vs Dark Order fight, could have done a bit more but they did it.

I do think they can improve upon that

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6809 on: March 16, 2023, 02:16:47 pm »
Amazing episode of Dynamite, one of the best AEW Dynamite episodes ever IMO. The flow of action never stopped, storylines were properly advanced, amazing main event, insane ending. Keep up this same pace and we have a great summer ahead of us.

And I don't understand the hate for Hangman on here, the guy is very good in the ring and solid on promos.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6810 on: March 16, 2023, 02:46:29 pm »
Great Dynamite, I like Hangman as well and hated how instead of letting him bask coming off wins against Omega/Danielson ala Cena we had his promo immediately cut off by "HE'S NOT A REAL COWBOYYY". Even though the Archer match ended up being decent his reign never recovered.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6811 on: March 16, 2023, 05:24:03 pm »
Just seen that 80's/90's wrestler Jeff Gaylord has died

I was thinking that modern wrestlers wouldn't be allowed to get away with that name these days.

Turns out his birth name is actually Jeff Gaylord!

RIP

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6812 on: March 16, 2023, 07:55:49 pm »
Just seen that 80's/90's wrestler Jeff Gaylord has died

I was thinking that modern wrestlers wouldn't be allowed to get away with that name these days.

Turns out his birth name is actually Jeff Gaylord!

RIP

Rumour is Vince wanted to give Pat Patterson the moniker in the 80's but it was taken.

He would obviously had made him heel too!
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6813 on: March 16, 2023, 08:18:02 pm »
Was a good Dynamite but not one of my favourites.  Loved that finish though.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6814 on: March 17, 2023, 05:08:56 pm »
Been a couple of days, still really buzzing about this bit:

Can hardly accuse AEW of putting over 'legends' ahead of their young home grown stars at the moment! MJF (27), Sammy (29), Darby (30), Jungle Boy (25), all in the company since the first All Out, which is almost 4 years back now, all in the world title picture (not that I expect anyone takes it, but Darby was getting a huge reaction).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 06:57:09 pm by Riquende »

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6815 on: March 17, 2023, 05:15:50 pm »
I just got tickets to Double or Nothing, going with my American buddies I met in Tokyo in 2017.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #6816 on: March 17, 2023, 05:22:05 pm »
Showed my 8 year old nephew the Stone Cold Steve Austin beer truck scene last week from the attitude era, even said it was much better than watching John Cena.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6817 on: March 17, 2023, 05:47:16 pm »
I just got tickets to Double or Nothing, going with my American buddies I met in Tokyo in 2017.

Yoo that's so sick, enjoy it mate

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6818 on: March 17, 2023, 06:39:14 pm »
Yoo that's so sick, enjoy it mate
Absolutely made up. Gonna do a massive day-tripper tourist weekend, helicopter to grand canyon, shooting range with a big fuck off gatling gun, panorama view restaurants and of course some superb wrestling.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6819 on: March 17, 2023, 07:19:31 pm »
Take a RAWK sign with you.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6820 on: March 17, 2023, 07:53:31 pm »
Ban Claus again / Bring back Dr Manhattan

Of course I could also join the AEW JRPG sign-war.

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6821 on: March 17, 2023, 10:48:58 pm »
Make a sign about that poster on here who pretends not to watch AEW, so they have to come up with some new excuse about how they "just happened to catch it".
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 11:11:59 pm by Riquende »

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6822 on: March 17, 2023, 11:59:08 pm »
Take a #Sausages sign

Or Bring Back Sabu Pundit - the people may think it is wrestling related

Offline NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #6823 on: March 18, 2023, 10:26:12 am »
Been a couple of days, still really buzzing about this bit:

Can hardly accuse AEW of putting over 'legends' ahead of their young home grown stars at the moment! MJF (27), Sammy (29), Darby (30), Jungle Boy (25), all in the company since the first All Out, which is almost 4 years back now, all in the world title picture (not that I expect anyone takes it, but Darby was getting a huge reaction).

Yeah think MJF will beat all three of them, and then go on to beat Stark again. Then it will be imo one of Cole or Page that finally takes the strap. Whichever one of the Adams that seems to be the most on fire basically.

Also puts AEW in a position that if one or both of the Adams gets injured or their pushes do not take off as expected that they still have a load of other originals jockeying for position for the title.
What's your pleasure?

Offline NightDancer

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6824 on: March 18, 2023, 10:30:42 am »

Yeah think MJF will beat all three of them, and then go on to beat Stark again. Then it will be imo one of Cole or Page that finally takes the strap. Whichever one of the Adams that seems to be the most on fire basically.

Also puts AEW in a position that if one or both of the Adams gets injured or their pushes do not take off as expected that they still have a load of other originals jockeying for position for the title.

Decent enough Rampage last night too. Nothing spectacular but solid. JAS established as the next group going after the HoB. Just hope they do not do what they always do with the JAS and drag fueds out far too long. With six male members in the JAS they could really stretch out the amount of singles matches against the HoB as well as putting a number of different Trios teams together from the six.

Needs a few weeks at most before HoB are let kill fools and move on to another fued. Though I have a feeling they will use HoB to try and make the JAS look strong and a threat.
What's your pleasure?

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6825 on: March 18, 2023, 11:55:50 am »
Then it will be imo one of Cole or Page that finally takes the strap. Whichever one of the Adams that seems to be the most on fire basically.

Given the onscreen hype over his return (and seemingly being the face of this All Access show), I think it's nailed on that Cole/MJF headlines Double or Nothing unless something else crops up (might have mentioned this before, but I really want an MJF/Britt promo battle). Looks like it'll be Elite/BCC for a while which will occupy Page in the meantime.

Also re: the JAS/HoB, don't forget that Menard/Parker are getting involved with the Acclaimed, so that might keep them from throwing their weight in a HoB feud... unless the Acclaimed and HoB end up on the same side somehow. Hope not, I really don't want to see Malakai scissoring...

Offline NightDancer

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6826 on: March 18, 2023, 12:30:25 pm »
Given the onscreen hype over his return (and seemingly being the face of this All Access show), I think it's nailed on that Cole/MJF headlines Double or Nothing unless something else crops up (might have mentioned this before, but I really want an MJF/Britt promo battle). Looks like it'll be Elite/BCC for a while which will occupy Page in the meantime.

Also re: the JAS/HoB, don't forget that Menard/Parker are getting involved with the Acclaimed, so that might keep them from throwing their weight in a HoB feud... unless the Acclaimed and HoB end up on the same side somehow. Hope not, I really don't want to see Malakai scissoring...

An MJF/Baker promo battle potentialy could be excellent. Both are excellent using a script and even better when firing comments on the fly. And not as though the seeds have not been sown over the past couple of years for that to be part of a Cole/MJF fued.

Britt has made comments about the pillars and MJF both in show and during interviews for wrestling podcasts. Cole has in away from the show interviews made comments about how MJF would get a punch in the mouth if he mentionsBaker again. MJF has been MJF in similar interviews.

Do think Cole vs MJF was on the cards ages ago and injuries got in the way.

Laughed out loud at the idea of the HoB shouting "scissor me Daddy Ass". Book the HoB should be easy. Just have them kill fools  ;D

What's your pleasure?

Online PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #6827 on: March 18, 2023, 12:47:54 pm »
It might just be me, but I think it's incredibly obvious that either Owens or Zayn will turn on the other one at Wrestlemania. I can see it coming a mile away.

Offline NightDancer

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6828 on: March 18, 2023, 12:59:26 pm »
It might just be me, but I think it's incredibly obvious that either Owens or Zayn will turn on the other one at Wrestlemania. I can see it coming a mile away.

Nah  not like   WWE to recycle that storyline for the 158th time.  ;D
What's your pleasure?

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6829 on: March 18, 2023, 02:26:57 pm »

I'll take that bet, it will end with Owens, Zayn and Rhodes holding all the belts.

The more I look at the Mania card, the more Brock/Omos looks like an absolute stinkfest. Hopefully doesn't go on longer than a minute.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6830 on: March 18, 2023, 05:23:12 pm »
Solo seems like he's not getting a match at Mania? A bit odd after they've been pushing him for so long.  Jey - Roman should definitely be the next big feud after Roman presumably loses, maybe Solo goes over to Roman's side or something, they could probably even tie it up with the Rock-Roman fight they've been teasing forever.

Cody-LA Knight would be fun to watch, maybe a good first title defense for him.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Wolverine

• Main Stander
« Reply #6831 on: March 20, 2023, 09:17:59 am »
The more I look at the Mania card, the more Brock/Omos looks like an absolute stinkfest. Hopefully doesn't go on longer than a minute.
I think Lesnar Omos might surprise people I remember people thinking Lesnar's match with Goldberg at Wrestlemania 33 would stink and that match turned out to be really entertaining.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6832 on: March 20, 2023, 12:10:08 pm »
Solo seems like he's not getting a match at Mania? A bit odd after they've been pushing him for so long.  Jey - Roman should definitely be the next big feud after Roman presumably loses, maybe Solo goes over to Roman's side or something, they could probably even tie it up with the Rock-Roman fight they've been teasing forever.

Cody-LA Knight would be fun to watch, maybe a good first title defense for him.

Assuming Cody wins (and I think he will) then I reckon the Reigns feud carries on a little, with the Bloodline's disintegration being weaved in. Other options would be Gunther - think he loses the belt to Sheamus at Mania and moves up a level - or a returning Randy Orton. Think there's a great story they can tell there, but maybe you save that for Summerslam?

I mean it'll obviously happen at some point, but don't think it happens at Mania. Owens/Zayn win the belts on Night One, then you can play up that Roman wasn't there to support them. Then on Night Two, the Usos don't help Roman as he drops the titles to Cody.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 12:11:56 pm by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6833 on: March 20, 2023, 08:33:43 pm »
I remember people thinking Lesnar's match with Goldberg at Wrestlemania 33 would stink and that match turned out to be really entertaining.

Have you watched their WM20 match? They had prior form for stinking the absolute joint out at Mania, expectations were at rock bottom.

Probably the biggest Mania let down of all time, up there with Taker/Reigns anyway.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6834 on: March 21, 2023, 05:41:37 pm »
Good RAW too.

Wrestling has more than one (good promotion).

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6835 on: March 21, 2023, 06:02:09 pm »
The Wm20 Lesnar/Goldberg match certainly wasn't helped by the news leaking that Lesnar had basically decided to quit and that news getting out beforehand so the crowd were very much anti both men. Even the commentary team had to confirm Lesnar was leaving during the match.

Still I'd guess that's why they had Goldberg go over then, which then led to a rather entertaining few months just 13 years later. (long term booking at its finest)
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6836 on: March 21, 2023, 06:32:14 pm »
If I remember correctly people also knew Goldberg was leaving too.

Even Stone Cold being in the ring couldn’t save that match.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6837 on: March 21, 2023, 07:41:17 pm »
If I remember correctly people also knew Goldberg was leaving too.

Even Stone Cold being in the ring couldn’t save that match.

Yeah he was, but that was widely known well ahead of Mania. The Lesnar one was the stunner seeing how much the company had bet the future in him with that initial debut and push.
Probably the reason to this day the company is pushed above all the wrestlers.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #6838 on: March 22, 2023, 04:40:50 pm »
The Wm20 Lesnar/Goldberg match certainly wasn't helped by the news leaking that Lesnar had basically decided to quit and that news getting out beforehand so the crowd were very much anti both men. Even the commentary team had to confirm Lesnar was leaving during the match.

Still I'd guess that's why they had Goldberg go over then, which then led to a rather entertaining few months just 13 years later. (long term booking at its finest)

Prichard on STW said it was because Goldberg was the baby face. But Vince just wanted the match in the ring and then get it done.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6839 on: March 22, 2023, 07:48:02 pm »
The build for that match was so good, with the foundations beings laid when Lesnar F5'd Goldberg at the Rumble, then Goldberg costing Lesnar the title at No Way Out. Remember being really annoyed that it wasn't the main event at WM20 because they were both leaving.