Author Topic: Thoughts on Shamima Begum?  (Read 61863 times)

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Thoughts on Shamima Begum?
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2019, 09:48:05 am »
All Bangladesh has to do is reject any application to grant her citizenship/passport and don't allow her off a plane if she arrives.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2019, 10:27:19 am »
All Bangladesh has to do is reject any application to grant her citizenship/passport and don't allow her off a plane if she arrives.
Which would probably then leave her stateless?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2019, 10:48:56 am »
I really don't see what her being groomed has to do with anything.

Everyone fighting for ISIS has been groomed/brainwashed, that's quite literally their recruitment process.
:D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2019, 10:51:38 am »

Everyone fighting for ISIS has been groomed/brainwashed, that's quite literally their recruitment process.
If she’s been groomed for sexual purposes instead, would you say the same thing?

Remember, she has not committed any territory acys.

It’s quite complex
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2019, 10:53:43 am »

Are we sure of that?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2019, 10:55:39 am »
Are we sure of that?
We have no evidence that she has.  Others may of course
W

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2019, 11:01:52 am »
If she’s been groomed for sexual purposes instead, would you say the same thing?

It’s quite complex

If she happened to be a boy the notion of grooming wouldn't even be mentioned.

If we want to make apples to orange comparisons though do pedophiles get to be excused if they (as is often the case) were abused as children?

She's joined a hostile foreign force  and wants to come back as if nothing happened, if you're going to defect then actually defect. She's showing absolutely no remorse, she's doing interviews on TV and articulating herself well.
:D

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2019, 11:03:43 am »
ITV News showed Ms Begum a copy of the Home Office's letter - which had been sent to her mother. Ms Begum said: "I am a bit shocked. It's a bit upsetting and frustrating. I feel like it's a bit unjust on me and my son."

She added: "Another option I might try with my family is my husband is from Holland and he has family in Holland.

"Maybe I can ask for citizenship in Holland. If he gets sent back to prison in Holland I can just wait for him while he is in prison."

Ms Begum's husband is a Dutch convert to Islam and is thought to have surrendered to a group of Syrian fighters about two weeks ago.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47301623

This just has a twist.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2019, 11:05:17 am »
Which would probably then leave her stateless?

The home secretary cannot revoke citizenship “if he is satisfied that the order would make a person stateless”, but can do with “reasonable grounds for believing that the person is able, under the law of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom, to become a national of such a country or territory”. It is understood Javid will use the fact that Begum could apply for a Bangladeshi passport to justify revoking her UK citizenship.

"Could" apply for a Bangladeshi passport doesn't mean they will grant her one which undoes his ability to make her stateless.

Is there any precedent for this?
This is a relatively rare case, although one legal source claimed the government had tried this before and lost. Most cases have featured those who are dual nationals.

By contrast, many other British Isis recruits have been allowed to return. The home secretary may be asked at any appeal to explain why those suspected of fighting have been allowed back into the UK, while Begum – who is not thought to have been a combatant – has been stripped of her citizenship.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/20/shamima-begum-could-the-plan-to-revoke-her-citizenship-be-stopped
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2019, 11:08:15 am »
Some are playing with fire here you set a precedent that any Home Secretary can revoke a person citizenship to score political points where does that end ?

People say she knew what she was doing well i work with 15 year olds some are mature and certain of their future path in life, others are not as certain and looking for something in their lives, these can be easily swayed and start blindly trusting what any adults preach to them, so her age at the time is a factor in this.
Every school that i know of has a watchful eye or policy if you like to deal with any signs of suspected radicalisation in their students it is set down with the schools child safety policies and i have sat through enough Inset days when this is discussed at length and believe me this policy applies to far younger than 15.

So i dont go for this she knew what she was doing because unless you are her you dont know how her mind was altered by these adults who sent her on this journey.

As for what should happen next well without the knee jerk reaction of they will give her a council house and she will live off our benefits, i think she should be brought back, questioned here, have her state of mind examined, let the full process of our laws and mental health experts deal with her and move on.

One other danger this Home secretary has maybe not thought about is with his rash action is has he made her a convenient Martyr figure for the people that radicalise others?

The other side of the coin is may stop others but it can also the effect of radicalising far more fighting in her name here in the U.K.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 11:09:58 am by Mutton Geoff »
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2019, 11:09:48 am »
She feels hard done by?

I’d play the world’s smallest violin for her but in the caliphate, music is haram.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2019, 11:21:21 am »
It's very dangerous ground to step on for a government that typically doesn't do well in these types of situations.

There is a huge element of bowing to public pressure and trial by media which brings out the gammon. Making a person stateless that hasn't technically committed a crime until she sets foot back on UK soil sets a dangerous precedent.

What I would say is that we should have one of the best intelligence and counter terrorism teams in the world and that you would hope that there would be a heightened level of monitoring if she ever was to come back to the UK.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2019, 11:22:29 am »
"Could" apply for a Bangladeshi passport doesn't mean they will grant her one which undoes his ability to make her stateless.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/20/shamima-begum-could-the-plan-to-revoke-her-citizenship-be-stopped

Javid is taking a punt. He doesnt care whether she comes back or not, its just that he has now played up to his Tory base and xan blame it on Gauke and the judges/judical ststem.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2019, 11:33:04 am »
Javid is taking a punt. He doesnt care whether she comes back or not, its just that he has now played up to his Tory base and xan blame it on Gauke and the judges/judical ststem.

Same issue down here where the govt stripped an Australian born ISIS member who's currently in jail in Turkey. His father is Fijian and the Australian govt believes he's one of theirs even though he's never been in Fiji and his father never applied for his son's Fijian citizenship.

It's all causing a shit storm between the two countries.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2019, 11:46:15 am »
Some excellent points in this thread.

The arrogance of the British government in saying "you take her" to Bangladesh is just incredible.

Take her back (she should make her own way here and no public money should be spent in helping her return) and then prosecute her for any offences committed. Given her lack of remorse and clear danger to public safety, no judge would be lenient in sentencing. During her time in prison, she should be counselled to deradicalise and rehabilitate.

Offline Trim0582

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2019, 11:50:45 am »
I am uneasy with this whole thing. A government deciding to revoke citizenship is clearly open to abuse in future, saying that, the pure lack of remorse shown is concerning.

My feeling is to apply UK law when she lands in the UK. Allow intel teams to thoroughly investigate her, if they find nothing I am not sure anything can and should be done.

The police, government and judicial system cannot decide to abandon the rule of law, even in circumstances when that would feel like the "right" thing to do.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2019, 11:51:03 am »
I think she should be let back in, and I look forward to seeing her on I'm a celebrity.

Very good

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2019, 12:01:05 pm »
I am almost certain that joining a terrorist organisation will be a crime under UK law and will carry a heavy sentence.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2019, 12:08:27 pm »
Some are playing with fire here you set a precedent that any Home Secretary can revoke a person citizenship to score political points where does that end ?

Spot on, as is the rest of your post.

"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2019, 12:08:51 pm »
If she happened to be a boy the notion of grooming wouldn't even be mentioned.

If we want to make apples to orange comparisons though do pedophiles get to be excused if they (as is often the case) were abused as children?

She's joined a hostile foreign force  and wants to come back as if nothing happened, if you're going to defect then actually defect. She's showing absolutely no remorse, she's doing interviews on TV and articulating herself well.
Her being a boy is irrelevant. She was a minor.
W

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2019, 12:14:42 pm »
How often do grooming victims state that they have no regret about what has happened? The groomer in this analogy would be her Dad by the way who went to various marches with fellow extremists.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2019, 12:19:01 pm »
Her being a boy is irrelevant. She was a minor.
well that is bull shit.

If she was a guy who went to Syria at a young age to fight for  those bastards,there would not be a debate over if he was a minor.

For me it's a case if obviously it's against international law so bring her back, and put her or anyone like her in prison for ever. She was very happy being under them when they where beheading people left and right and "winning". She and her kind have blood in their hands and should be locked up and  throw away the keys.

If they do revoke her citizenship though I honestly couldn't give a fuck.

PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2019, 12:22:53 pm »
From a slight devil’s advocate POV:

Are we giving up on de-radicalising people in the UK? What’s the point of PREVENT if we now just refuse to rehabilitate offenders and assume they are all beyond help or repair? We rehabilitate rapists, murderers and even paedophiles but not teenage non-combatants who involve themselves in terrorism?

All this poundshop populism, faux-tough guy posturing does is open up a can of worms if we start breaking international legal conventions.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 12:26:21 pm by OneTouchFooty »

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2019, 12:23:28 pm »

People say she knew what she was doing well i work with 15 year olds some are mature and certain of their future path in life, others are not as certain and looking for something in their lives, these can be easily swayed and start blindly trusting what any adults preach to them, so her age at the time is a factor in this.
Every school that i know of has a watchful eye or policy if you like to deal with any signs of suspected radicalisation in their students it is set down with the schools child safety policies and i have sat through enough Inset days when this is discussed at length and believe me this policy applies to far younger than 15.

So i dont go for this she knew what she was doing because unless you are her you dont know how her mind was altered by these adults who sent her on this journey.

As for what should happen next well without the knee jerk reaction of they will give her a council house and she will live off our benefits, i think she should be brought back, questioned here, have her state of mind examined, let the full process of our laws and mental health experts deal with her and move on.

One other danger this Home secretary has maybe not thought about is with his rash action is has he made her a convenient Martyr figure for the people that radicalise others?

The other side of the coin is may stop others but it can also the effect of radicalising far more fighting in her name here in the U.K.

I cant agree with much of that Geoff
So what are you suggesting we do with the poor victim, let her live with her parents who used to take her to hardline Islamist meetings?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2019, 12:24:53 pm »
It's very dangerous ground to step on for a government that typically doesn't do well in these types of situations.

There is a huge element of bowing to public pressure and trial by media which brings out the gammon. Making a person stateless that hasn't technically committed a crime until she sets foot back on UK soil sets a dangerous precedent.

What I would say is that we should have one of the best intelligence and counter terrorism teams in the world and that you would hope that there would be a heightened level of monitoring if she ever was to come back to the UK.

Joining ISIS is a crime
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2019, 12:26:33 pm »
If she was yes sir, no sir,3 bags full sir, would she have gotten her Citizenship revoked. We will never know but I doubt it. Being so flippant has cost her dearly.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2019, 12:27:17 pm »
Joining ISIS is a crime

Do you want the UK to be able to deport foreign criminals/terrorists?

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2019, 12:28:36 pm »
How often do grooming victims state that they have no regret about what has happened? The groomer in this analogy would be her Dad by the way who went to various marches with fellow extremists.

Yes exactly.  She isnt the victim.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2019, 12:32:20 pm »
Yes exactly.  She isnt the victim.
she herself and said she isn't. She was 15 and was mature enough to organise all this shit.

Simple fact is the ONLY reason she wants to come home is they are on the verge of defeat. It isn't because she is remorseful or regrets what she did. It's because she knows her precious state is fucked. Look at her fucking interview ffs and the lack of remorse shown  with the Manchester bombing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 12:34:43 pm by stevensr123 »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2019, 12:33:43 pm »
Joining ISIS is a crime

Which is why she hasn't committed a crime until she steps foot back on UK soil where she can be tried in a criminal court. Until she does then she is innocent until she is proven guilty.

I am in no way defending her actions. Being a part of a terrorist organisation is a crime and should be eradicated. But, revoking citizenship without a hearing or being given fair chance to explain her actions in front of those that can make an independent judgement based in law is wrong.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2019, 12:34:20 pm »

Very true, but it was her age at the time that is important. Of course to some extent, you have to be brainwashed to believe in the mission of ISIS, but we generally have different responses when the person being brainwashed is a child.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2019, 12:36:06 pm »

Very often in fact if they are barely days away from the entire event. It takes people years if not decades to work through the trauma of grooming. You may have no sympathy for her, but you can't change the way human psychology works.
---Rilke

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2019, 12:40:06 pm »
She has absolutely no remorse and no regret. But hey, at least she's not lying about it and shedding crocodile tears to win more bleeding hearts. She's made her bed and now she can lie in it.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2019, 12:40:06 pm »
Very true, but it was her age at the time that is important. Of course to some extent, you have to be brainwashed to believe in the mission of ISIS, but we generally have different responses when the person being brainwashed is a child.
she wasn't a "child". She was a young adult. A year away from what some on the left want the voting age to be.

Sure you can say she was Brain  washed. But you can say that about anyone in a cult. Where do you draw the line ?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 12:45:25 pm by stevensr123 »

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2019, 12:46:11 pm »
she wasn't a "child". She was a young adult. A year away from what some on the left want the voting age to be.

She was 15 when she left. She was being groomed from before then. It's not clear how long it went on for. It may have started when she was 13/14. I don't know what we gain from arguing over the semantics of whether she was a child or a young adult. But it seems clear to me that anyone who is being brainwashed at that age is a victim.
---Rilke

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2019, 12:55:33 pm »
Can you get legal aid if you're not a British citizen? If not, then I assume there's an ulterior motive to this, other than grandstanding on Javid's part.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2019, 12:56:27 pm »

Sure you can say she was Brain  washed. But you can say that about anyone in a cult. Where do you draw the line ?

Sorry but regardless of this the bigger point is you can’t just unilaterally revoke her citizenship. You deal with that once she’s been arrested on arrival and investigated.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2019, 01:01:40 pm »
Which is why she hasn't committed a crime until she steps foot back on UK soil where she can be tried in a criminal court. Until she does then she is innocent until she is proven guilty.

I am in no way defending her actions. Being a part of a terrorist organisation is a crime and should be eradicated. But, revoking citizenship without a hearing or being given fair chance to explain her actions in front of those that can make an independent judgement based in law is wrong.

Im not advocating revoking citizenship
As for innocent until guilty, she has already admitted joining ISIS

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2019, 01:07:00 pm »
She was 15 when she left. She was being groomed from before then. It's not clear how long it went on for. It may have started when she was 13/14. I don't know what we gain from arguing over the semantics of whether she was a child or a young adult. But it seems clear to me that anyone who is being brainwashed at that age is a victim.

I think that she has already stated she isnt a victim.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2019, 01:07:04 pm »
Can you get legal aid if you're not a British citizen? If not, then I assume there's an ulterior motive to this, other than grandstanding on Javid's part.
Yes.  The immigration tribunals are full of cases on legal aid.  She’ll get legal aid and I wouldn’t be surprised if her case runs through all the appeal courts as well.
Sorry but regardless of this the bigger point is you can’t just unilaterally revoke her citizenship. You deal with that once she’s been arrested on arrival and investigated.
That’s simply not correct though.  The power is there in section 40 of the British Nationality Act 1981, and its unilateral for the Home Secretary.  You might be getting it confused with a criminal punishment, which is a totally separate thing.