Author Topic: The Men in Suits behind the scenes  (Read 537251 times)

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The Men in Suits behind the scenes
« Reply #2560 on: March 23, 2023, 04:31:16 pm »
Its true....but it once again probably needs repeating that Brighton are a completely different prospect to us. They can afford to do it because there's no pressure (they've signed 22 players in the last three seasons btw, for the senior squad, the vast majority of whom I doubt many/any of us have heard of, so it does also look fairly scattergun)

Not just that, but the level of quality required to get into their first team is lower, which means they can afford to put players in and give them game time to develop / assess them. We can maybe afford to do that with the odd few over a season, but no where near what Brighton can.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2561 on: March 23, 2023, 04:38:45 pm »
Also...

You'd like to think that we're currently earmarking potential players who fit the bill rather than those who are the big name flavour of the month.

Have we ever done that under Klopp?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2563 on: March 23, 2023, 05:11:48 pm »

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2564 on: March 23, 2023, 05:21:12 pm »
For them or us?

Delaney just backtracked and said we're not in for him. INEOS want him if they buy United.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2565 on: March 23, 2023, 05:34:44 pm »
Delaney just backtracked and said we're not in for him. INEOS want him if they buy United.
That's quicker than us ruling out players ;D

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #2566 on: March 23, 2023, 08:59:52 pm »
I really wouldn't get too worked up about the "name" per se in regards to replacing Ward. Especially as recruiting for potential future value and recruiting for playing at a PL/CL winning level right now are different things if we want to believe there is any art still in performing this job. Just really need whoever it is to get in place hopefully ASAP as some fresh set of eyes seem sorely needed.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2567 on: March 23, 2023, 10:10:17 pm »
I really wouldn't get too worked up about the "name" per se in regards to replacing Ward. Especially as recruiting for potential future value and recruiting for playing at a PL/CL winning level right now are different things if we want to believe there is any art still in performing this job. Just really need whoever it is to get in place hopefully ASAP as some fresh set of eyes seem sorely needed.

And that means ? any good candidate for that position would ask for budget/responsibility etc .
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2568 on: March 23, 2023, 10:11:16 pm »
Also...

VVD for about - dont know - a year
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #2569 on: March 23, 2023, 11:56:33 pm »
And that means ? any good candidate for that position would ask for budget/responsibility etc .

Do you have information that Mitchell wasn't given the budget or responsibility he wanted? All I'm seeing is he will go with INEOS to ManU if they win the bid. And even if he was what he's had to recruit for in his career isn't the same as what he would be recruiting for here which is my point. There's no guarantee his methods would translate. I get that you could say it about almost any candidate but that's my point in that it's not so much about who but when.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #2570 on: March 24, 2023, 08:01:32 am »
Its true....but it once again probably needs repeating that Brighton are a completely different prospect to us. They can afford to do it because there's no pressure (they've signed 22 players in the last three seasons btw, for the senior squad, the vast majority of whom I doubt many/any of us have heard of, so it does also look fairly scattergun)

This, As much as we all probably admire the way Brighton are run, they can certainly take a lot more risks than us, They don't have the "top Club" tax when it comes to transfers either

We should probably look to something like Real Madrid. Signing players like Camavinga, Tchouaméni, Rodrygo, Vinicus but also getting rid of players like Varane, Casemrio and making a hell of a lot of money from selling their academy players 

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2571 on: March 24, 2023, 09:11:45 am »
VVD for about - dont know - a year

We signed Van Dijk because he was flavour of the month? :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2572 on: March 24, 2023, 09:14:00 am »
This, As much as we all probably admire the way Brighton are run, they can certainly take a lot more risks than us, They don't have the "top Club" tax when it comes to transfers either

We should probably look to something like Real Madrid. Signing players like Camavinga, Tchouaméni, Rodrygo, Vinicus but also getting rid of players like Varane, Casemrio and making a hell of a lot of money from selling their academy players

The main take aways I can see from Brighton is their focus on the South American market, we appear to be massively behind the curve with regards to this.

It's why FSG should be growing a multi-club type environment so we can take what a team like Brighton does well i.e. the recruitment, but having a solid loan system to get said players the game time needed to progress.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 09:33:44 am by Draex »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2573 on: March 24, 2023, 09:20:16 am »
Yeah the multi-club thing is a little frustrating that we didn't proceed with as there was speculation we were looking. Goes way back though, I seem to remember we had things with Le Havre and Genk which didn't amount to much....and those clubs have had loads of class 'graduates' since. Maybe when Everton go down we can use them to blood some youngsters.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2574 on: March 24, 2023, 09:36:31 am »
Yeah the multi-club thing is a little frustrating that we didn't proceed with as there was speculation we were looking. Goes way back though, I seem to remember we had things with Le Havre and Genk which didn't amount to much....and those clubs have had loads of class 'graduates' since. Maybe when Everton go down we can use them to blood some youngsters.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-owners-fsg-linked-another-23196502

Need to move from monitoring to buying!

Hence why the investment needs sorting out, that's the moves we need to make to enable us to compete at the top without a sportswasher sugar daddy.

My ideal scenario is investment comes, for players and for expanding FSG's ownership of some new clubs, Edwards comes back as the Sporting Director for FSG football!

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #2575 on: March 24, 2023, 10:14:52 am »

I agree in principle with this.

However, Real Madrid are virtually guaranteed to be a CL team every season. They can sell a Varane or Casimeiro with the knowledge that any short term drop off is unlikely to make them fall outside the CL places. The competition in Spain has been pretty poor the last few years. Additionally they know they still have the talent and history to make an impression in the CL (even if the league goes wrong -  i.e. come 2nd).

The risk:reward scenario for Liverpool (and the other big English clubs) is different. The competition for CL places is a lot more intense than in La Liga. The competition, in terms of opposition each week, is much better.

So whilst I don't disagree with the premise of following a similar strategy to Real, in terms off recruitment and binning off some players in the 28-32 range to raise money, the risk associated with it is much bigger for Liverpool versus Real.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2576 on: March 24, 2023, 01:26:36 pm »

I would love you to explain how there is no pressure on Brighton. Was there no pressure when they were getting promoted from Division one or the Championship? Was there no pressure when they fought season after season to stay in the Premier League. Was there no pressure when they were building a new ground and funding it.

Just because they had different expectations doesn't mean there hasn't been pressure. Look how many teams go down the route of dinosaur managers and older experienced players when they are in a relegation battle. I would say bringing in young ambitious coaches and blooding new young players whilst playing attractive football in a relegation battle brings its own pressures.

As for their transfer activity considering the transfers they have paid fees for are almost exclusively for players between 18 and 25 I wouldn't call it scattergun. The major thing though is that as they have improved so has the quality of players they have signed. So given Bloom's incredible data-driven approach, who is to say it won't work at a higher level.

Look at the other club he is an owner of Royale Union Saint-Gilloise, who have gone from nowhere to competing in the CL qualifiers and later stages of the Europa League. I think it is naive to write Brighton off and assume they won't be able to attract a higher-quality of player as they grow as a club. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 01:28:27 pm by Al 666 »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2577 on: March 24, 2023, 02:11:54 pm »
Getting tickets fro Euro 96, then a Macdonalds.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #2578 on: March 24, 2023, 02:20:21 pm »
Personally, I believe its riskIER to buy big budget talent, like say Bellingham and Nunez. Players like VVD, Allison, Fabinho had more pedigree, but there is always an element of risk when buying a player.

But this is where scouts earn their money. The data analysts and the scouts have to work together to identify targets, but also when the players have been signed, and its not working, we have to be quicker in shipping them out. If we bought 4 players of a total fee of £40mill, with wages totaling £200kpw, I dont really see the financial risk. The risk would be actually playing them in the first team. As Bajcetic gets games ahead of the likes of Milner, Ox and Keita, you have to question why we dont have more waiting in the wings, be it from the u21's or in the wider squad.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2579 on: March 24, 2023, 02:20:46 pm »
Great pic - one dude is wearing winter gear, another is shirtless.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2580 on: March 24, 2023, 02:55:26 pm »
Also...

Depends how you define that phrase. Van Dijk was certainly the must have CB when we got him. Allisson was the no. 1 GK in the world. Nunez was attracting a bunch of interest.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2581 on: March 24, 2023, 03:11:43 pm »
Depends how you define that phrase. Van Dijk was certainly the must have CB when we got him. Allisson was the no. 1 GK in the world. Nunez was attracting a bunch of interest.

Considering it was in a paragraph talking about Uniteds consistent failings over the last decade with big name signings and players losing motivation (or never having it), I'd suggest it was along the lines of the likes of Di Maria, Lukaku, Ronaldo etc. Rather than good players who were performing well at good teams without truly breaking out, before their peak age. Like VVD, or Allison, or Nunez.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2582 on: March 24, 2023, 03:15:02 pm »

he was?

He had played 1 full season in Europe at that point. And yes, that’s not the world, but the strongest leagues are there, and  I don’t believe he was considered the number 1 goalie in Europe at the time.  He became that here.

Also as an aside, the word ‘bunch’ to describe a lot is one of my biggest hates in American English - Nothing to do with the topic, just wanted to put that out there  ;D

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2583 on: March 24, 2023, 03:21:54 pm »
he was?

He had played 1 full season in Europe at that point. And yes, that’s not the world, but the strongest leagues are there, and  I don’t believe he was considered the number 1 goalie in Europe at the time.  He became that here.

Also as an aside, the word ‘bunch’ to describe a lot is one of my biggest hates in American English - Nothing to do with the topic, just wanted to put that out there  ;D

Probably more about who wanted him, wasn't it Real and Chelsea? You could argue Van Dijk wasn't the worlds best defender until he'd come here.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2584 on: March 24, 2023, 03:24:28 pm »
Probably more about who wanted him, wasn't it Real and Chelsea? You could argue Van Dijk wasn't the worlds best defender until he'd come here.

I honestly can't remember! I do remember being bemused by the size of the transfer fee for him at the time  ;D

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2585 on: March 24, 2023, 03:29:10 pm »

Don't think Real were linked. Think it was just between the big clubs in the PL.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2586 on: March 24, 2023, 03:36:33 pm »
Don't think Real were linked. Think it was just between the big clubs in the PL.

100% Real were interested in him to replace Navas.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2587 on: March 24, 2023, 03:48:46 pm »
100% Real were interested in him to replace Navas.

Sorry didn't realise you were on about Alisson, saw Van Dijk's name and assumed it was him  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #2588 on: March 24, 2023, 05:15:54 pm »
WerentJan Oblak and Manuel Neuer considered the best GKs at the time?  Dont remember any talk of Allison being discussed as the best in the world when we played Roma the year before. infact id go as far as to say he wasnt being talked aboot as being anywhere near
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 05:17:28 pm by Capon Debaser »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2589 on: March 24, 2023, 05:26:21 pm »
WerentJan Oblak and Manuel Neuer considered the best GKs at the time?  Dont remember any talk of Allison being discussed as the best in the world when we played Roma the year before. infact id go as far as to say he wasnt being talked aboot as being anywhere near

Yep there wasnt a big fanfare about him at the time, albeit all the reports were that he was quality. At the time a lot of people wanted Oblak.

However when talking about big, established players, Fabinho, Van Dijk and Salah are up there as us buying close to the ready made, top player.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #2590 on: March 24, 2023, 05:47:43 pm »
Yep there wasnt a big fanfare about him at the time, albeit all the reports were that he was quality. At the time a lot of people wanted Oblak.

However when talking about big, established players, Fabinho, Van Dijk and Salah are up there as us buying close to the ready made, top player.
Yep, from what i remember a lot of people baulked at the price saying for that money go for Oblak. Seem to also remember a lot preferring Kepa who signed for chelsea as loads on here had been raving aboot him the previous months

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2591 on: March 24, 2023, 06:35:28 pm »
he was?

He was signed as the most expensive keeper ever before Kepa took that right after.
I dont think considered he was the #1 in the world but he considered be one of the best keepers at the time.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2592 on: March 24, 2023, 06:36:43 pm »
He was signed as the most expensive keeper ever before Kepa took that right after.
I dont think considered he was the #1 in the world but he considered be one of the best keepers at the time.

didnt we have to pay a bit of premium due to buying Salah a year earlier.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2593 on: March 24, 2023, 08:33:08 pm »
didnt we have to pay a bit of premium due to buying Salah a year earlier.
no, just because of his place as one of the best keepers around and because he was the hottest GK property on the market that year - with both the Champion's League finalists negotiating for him.

thankfully for us, Real waited for Courtois (and his partner from Madrid) to force his move through and so we were able to make our move before Chelsea could flash cash (as they did eventually, breaking the transfer record on Kepa)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2594 on: March 24, 2023, 09:31:03 pm »
Yep, from what i remember a lot of people baulked at the price saying for that money go for Oblak. Seem to also remember a lot preferring Kepa who signed for chelsea as loads on here had been raving aboot him the previous months
I think the general press and footie fan was saying that yes.

But when Alisson signed, I did hear goalie experts saying he was a special talent…he’d not had much time as a first team goalie in Europe don’t forget  he was only at Roma two seasons and was back up goalie the first season so didn’t play.  So no one had seen him play much when we got linked
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 09:39:22 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2595 on: March 24, 2023, 11:53:41 pm »
I think the general press and footie fan was saying that yes.

But when Alisson signed, I did hear goalie experts saying he was a special talent…he’d not had much time as a first team goalie in Europe don’t forget  he was only at Roma two seasons and was back up goalie the first season so didn’t play.  So no one had seen him play much when we got linked

Yeh that is what I remember as well.

I know that his metrics for Roma were excellent. His goals conceded compared to the chances he was facing were off the scale.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2596 on: March 25, 2023, 08:19:10 am »
The Problem with Oblak he cant play football. he a great stop stopper but ask him to cover space and pass, he awful. Klopp was not signing a Line Keeper.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2597 on: March 25, 2023, 10:05:03 am »
Some of this is revisionism. Van Dijk hadn’t ‘broken out’? What does that even mean. We spent £75 million on him and every top team in the PL wanted him. We weren’t buying him for potential. He was a peak level CB at his peak age.

Allison was a world record for a keeper at that point, he might not have been perceived as the best keeper in the world but he was certainly thought of as an elite level GK worth spending more on than any other goalkeeper ever.

No they weren’t prima donas already playing at top level clubs but they were undoubtedly treated as players of the very top drawer. In that they’re much like Bellingham. Not currently playing for a very top team but accepted by nearly everyone as one of the best players on their position around.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2598 on: March 25, 2023, 12:22:23 pm »
Yeh that is what I remember as well.

I know that his metrics for Roma were excellent. His goals conceded compared to the chances he was facing were off the scale.

He was also one of the top players in the league for successful take ons…. :lmao
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2599 on: March 25, 2023, 01:45:49 pm »
Real wanted Alisson. Alisson wanted Real.

Klopp wanted Oblak. No one knows what Oblak wanted. He doesn't talk much. And he doesn't like people who talk too much. They annoy him.