Author Topic: Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people  (Read 105251 times)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people
« Reply #40 on: March 9, 2014, 06:48:44 pm »
Surely some sort of wreckage would have been found by now assuming there are loads of aircraft searching for it.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #41 on: March 9, 2014, 06:54:04 pm »
An interesting insight

http://www.quora.com/Malaysia-Airlines-Flight-370-Incident-March-2014/How-could-a-plane-go-missing-like-Malaysia-Airlines-flight-MH370/answer/K%C3%A5re-Lohse

Kåre Lohse, Airline pilot, the last 10 years on various variants of the Boeing 747.
Votes by Sam Sinai, Diana Tan, Alex Coppen, Ryan Browne, and 163 more.
EDIT: My comment incorporated in the answer.

What is peculiar here is that - as far as I can understand - all external transmission, communication, tracking and telemetry (such as ADS-B and transponder mode S), are all stopping to function, from one instant to another.

Emergency descent, fire, stalling, all-engine failure and other full or partial loss of control like that will in almost all cases at least leave some kind of trace, while in this case, it seems there is nothing. Unless information is being withheld from the public, which I highly doubt, but for sure, the "conspirational theorists" are writing up stories already. An aircraft like the 777 has automatic upload of a lot of parameters to satellite, normally, though I am not familiar with MAS' configuration of their 777s (please correct me here, I might be wrong).

In order for all systems to cease their function instantly and simultaneously, there are mainly two scenarios I can think of:

A) Complete electrical failure of all electrical systems and buses, including all battery backed up systems, as well as the Ram Air Turbine (which should deploy automatically, if needed, and provide hydraulics and electricity).

B) Instant violent breakup, either from a missile, bomb, very severe and catastrophic breakup. But even the most violent breakup (apart from bombs/missiles possibly), would usually leave at least some systems functioning for a short while.

It is very likely that the aircraft in question, besides its ELT transmitter, has one or two of these on board:

Rescue 406 SE

It can be manually activated, and also activates if immersed in water (previous models required salt water to activate, in either case, if they are over the ocean this wouldn't matter obviously). The rescue 406 SE will NOT be activated by impact or high g loads

Hence, if the plane is at the bottom of the sea, radio transmissions like these will be useless - unless the 406 transmitter - due to impact or other reasons - is free to float to the surface. This is not very likely as it is positioned in a mounting bracket, normally inside an overhead compartment - as the main purpose of this transmitter is for survivors to take it with them after a landing, especially if that landing is a ditching.

The built in ELT (Distress radiobeacon) should activate by high impact, either a very catastrophic inflight breakup, or from the impact as it eventually contacts the surface. It can also be activated manually. The ELT normally transmits a signal on 121.5 and 243.0 MHz, but for what I know, the B777 ELT is not connected to the  Cospas-Sarsat 406MHz system, and has no GPS positioning.

Unfortunately, there are often falsely activated ELT transmissions on 121.5 MHz, so it's a bit like hearing a car alarm - a lot of people ignore it. Also, the frequency is often used for getting attention of aircraft on the wrong frequency as all flights are (supposed to be) listening to 121.5 MHz. A very hard landing can trigger the ELT because of the high g load, or some repair shop making a mistake and not discovering it. ELT from scrapped aircraft sold by mistake to someone who doesn't know what it is, and it runs for days until the battery runs out, or someone finds it. I know of more than one case, where a small aircraft (or parts of it) has been transported on a truck, and the ELT activated - resulting in rescue helicopters homing in on the truck eventually!

Modern transmitters like the Rescue 406 SE has built in GPS, and its own serial number which identifies which transmitter it is (and in turn, which aircraft, boat or other vessel). It only needs to be activated for a few seconds for the signal to reach satellites. A few seconds more, or maybe minutes, and it should get a GPS fix, which will improve the accuracy of from around 10 km down to a few meters. But as I wrote, the 406 does not activate by itself, unless it is immersed in water, so a sudden and violent explosion would not necessarily trigger it.

See Cospas-Sarsat System Overview

Hence, all just guesses:

- Terrorist or criminal act, either bomb or missile - likely

- Military drone inflight collision, by poor programming or system malfunction for avoidance of airways and civil aircraft - somewhat likely

- Structural critical breakup due to mechanical failure - less likely

- Total and instantaneous electrical failure of all systems - less likely

- Deliberate shutoff of all electrical systems powering communications and all other transmissions, and then crashing into the sea and murder suicide by crew member, somewhat similar to the Egypt-air crash - could be likely

Is primary radar available in this area, or only secondary? Secondary radar, as well as ADS-B, relies on the aircraft volunteering it's position (and much more), as well as replying to interrogations. Primary radar, on the other hand, can even pick up objects with no electronics, as long as they are large enough (ie debris from inflight breakup). I think this area might not have primary radar.

-

I can come up with a few very speculative scenarios, that are highly unlikely, but remotely possible. Here is one (I might have to delete it if I receive sufficient complains, we are really into deep conspiracy theory here :

Please, understand this is speculation, and very unlikely, more like a distant theoretical scenario.

Pilots and possibly helpers on board, gang up to hijack the aircraft and its occupants in a stealthy way.

Shut off transponder, ADS-B, SATCOM, all cabin inflight phones, and no passenger has any personal sat-phone in the cabin. Night time,in clouds, dive down to low level, fly off to remote island with improvised airstrip. This would be close to Hergé's "Flight 714" cartoon or Arthur Haileys "Airport"

As I said, highly unlikely, but technically possible. It requires very good knowledge of systems and planning, and a lot of luck. I seriously doubt it, but technically, it could be possible.

Chances are that some primary radar would pick it up, or some fisherman or other boat would report having seen a huge twin-jet flying low over the ocean.

Hijackers would of course not reveal the location, but would propagate pictures and/or videos, to demand a huge ransom to disclose the location of this aircraft. In reality, that location could probably be found by satellite, though with 7.5 hours of cruse fuel, the aircraft could have flown quite far, and be anywhere in Indonesia, Philippines, or many other places in the region.

So realistically, my guess is some kind of very powerful explosion, whether by missile (less likely) or explosive device on board (more likely). But for this to be true, the explosive power must be really, really powerful, so much as to ensure all transmissions stop immediately.

It's likely that this aircraft is now in the ocean, and it's also likely that tomorrow will bring a location of floating debris, oil slicks and so on
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 9, 2014, 09:56:26 pm »
I'm not saying it wasn't terrorists of some sort, but wouldn't a group have claimed responsibility by now? Or something emerged anyway, from the people responsible? I guess it still is early days, just seems a bit strange.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 9, 2014, 09:59:45 pm »
Report on HuffPost saying that they think they've found debris from it, the picture looks like what could be a plane door or a window panel.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03/09/malaysia-airlines-plane_n_4931168.html?1394395633&utm_hp_ref=uk
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2014, 01:01:26 am »
My old man flew with Malaysia Airlines yesterday, from Shanghai to Kuala Lumpur. Bit embarrassing how nervy I was.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2014, 01:06:16 am »
My old man flew with Malaysia Airlines yesterday, from Shanghai to Kuala Lumpur. Bit embarrassing how nervy I was.

Humans seem to have that mind-set..

Airline loses aircraft, everyone wants to avoid said airline. When I'm sure they are far FAR less airlines operating in the world.

Offline bordeauxred

• posh scouser
  • Kopite
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2014, 02:09:47 am »

I am in K.L. at the moment for a cricket tournament and we flew here on Malaysian Airlines last week. Not going to lie but am quite nervous about our return flight at the weekend to London. I know it's daft but the old nerves are jangling.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2014, 02:21:41 am »
I am in K.L. at the moment for a cricket tournament and we flew here on Malaysian Airlines last week. Not going to lie but am quite nervous about our return flight at the weekend to London. I know it's daft but the old nerves are jangling.
As insensitive as it sounds, you're exponentially more likely to die from a traffic accident than from a plane flight.

FWIW, MAS has a pretty stellar air safety record.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2014, 02:50:21 am »
And it's not like they won't be doubling security checks and whatnot during this time. You're probably safer to fly now than you would have been before the accident, as stupid as that may sound.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2014, 07:15:38 am »
At least THREE false passports.  And there are only 250 passengers!  1%!   Imagine 10 million passengers passing through the airport = 100,000 false passports.  That boggles the mind!

The Italian and Austrian false passport holders bought their tickets together in Thailand, flew from KL to  Beijing and go on to Amsterdam and finally one to Copenhagen, with the other to somewhere in Germany.  Very weird (not what plane-blowing terrorists usually do with their tickets..)

The 3rd false passport was Chinese -- the real holder is now in Fujian province, PRC, and have not left the country in the past three years. 

The fact that the plane disappeared so abruptly without any signals makes great suspicion of foul play but it does not sit well with the circumstances as known now, especially with no one claiming responsibility.

Just hope the wreckage can be found soon, which is the least could be done for the families and friends.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2014, 07:45:15 am »
My initial reaction is something like Tintin's Flight 714 had happened because they can't find any debris or trace.  The oil slick could be them dumping fuel and then flying off somewhere and landing.  This seems extremely eerie for a flight disaster.  Even if the pilot decided to commit suicide like the Egypt Air a few years ago, the impact into the sea would have caused some floating debris I think. 

If not terrorists causing a huge explosion or an airplane hijack in the Flight 714 sort, what other things could happen that is not science fiction? 
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2014, 07:47:44 am »
Surely some sort of wreckage would have been found by now assuming there are loads of aircraft searching for it.

It was lost over the sea and the possible area where it could have gone down is pretty big.

If there's no wreckage on the surface it might have gone down in one piece suggesting some kind of technical or human failure. If it had exploded in mid air there would be wreckage over a large area.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2014, 08:03:02 am »
A Chinese blog claims it received a letter from an party claiming to be a Uighur separatist group claiming credit.

http://boxun.com/news/gb/intl/2014/03/201403091656.shtml#.Ux1qVoUsTgx

Hopefully bullshit.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2014, 08:15:34 am »
Everything is pure speculation untill the plane /blackbox's are recovered.
But its  reasonably safe to say there would be no survivors, due to the time its been missing and there has been no comms from anyone,
As an aside, is it possible to get the last known location from the personal mobile phones of the passengers and crew and narrow down the search area?

Hopefully they will find it soon and be able to work out what went wrong.

JFT 96

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2014, 08:35:19 am »
At least THREE false passports.  And there are only 250 passengers!  1%!   Imagine 10 million passengers passing through the airport = 100,000 false passports.  That boggles the mind!

The Italian and Austrian false passport holders bought their tickets together in Thailand, flew from KL to  Beijing and go on to Amsterdam and finally one to Copenhagen, with the other to somewhere in Germany.  Very weird (not what plane-blowing terrorists usually do with their tickets..)

The 3rd false passport was Chinese -- the real holder is now in Fujian province, PRC, and have not left the country in the past three years.
The only thing the stolen passports in this case are indicating so far is that there just isn't enough checks done. But the people who need to step it up will have been fully aware of that already.

The fact that passengers where onboard this plane using stolen passports will not be anything never heard of before. It is a daily occurrence and far more common than you'd like to think. The only reason we are none the wiser about it usually is because the nature of the whole thing means that in order to be aware somebody is using a fake passport the fact it is fake will have had to be discovered. If somebody isn't flagged attempting to use it and therefore does so successfully how would you know?

The only reason we know some were used to board this flight is because it went and crashed. Plenty of planes landed fine on the same day and they'll have carried passengers with false documents as well.

Online red_lfc_costello

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2014, 08:42:05 am »
The only thing the stolen passports in this case are indicating so far is that there just isn't enough checks done. But the people who need to step it up will have been fully aware of that already.

The fact that passengers where onboard this plane using stolen passports will not be anything never heard of before. It is a daily occurrence and far more common than you'd like to think. The only reason we are none the wiser about it usually is because the nature of the whole thing means that in order to be aware somebody is using a fake passport the fact it is fake will have had to be discovered. If somebody isn't flagged attempting to use it and therefore does so successfully how would you know?

The only reason we know some were used to board this flight is because it went and crashed. Plenty of planes landed fine on the same day and they'll have carried passengers with false documents as well.

exactly what ive been saying. yes these two with fake passports could be up to no good and have some part in the disappearance of the plane. but more than likely its just a couple of people travelling on stolen passports. It must happen hundreds of times a day, but we never hear about it because they're not discovered, we only know about these two as the plane crashed and the manifest was made public.
You appear to hve mistaken 'the funny photo thread' for the 'pointless, pre-pubescent nonsensical not even porn but "look, look, it's a girl" thread'

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2014, 08:44:35 am »
It was lost over the sea and the possible area where it could have gone down is pretty big.

If there's no wreckage on the surface it might have gone down in one piece suggesting some kind of technical or human failure. If it had exploded in mid air there would be wreckage over a large area.

Yup the sea area for search is huge.

There are local reports today from a "source of  Malaysian authorities" that the lack of debris point to disintegration in the sky!

Right now, we just have to wait and hope the black box could be recovered soon.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2014, 08:48:50 am »

Absolutely agree with that -- just the prevalence is so much higher than one would have thought....

Indeed, the false passport holders may well be CIA -- who knows  :-X

Nothing much can be ascertain at this stage and the uncertainties probably hurts most for the families and friends.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2014, 09:00:10 am »

Yep the sea area is big, but then again it's not exactly the Atlantic or Pacific so not on that scale.  And they've up to 40 aircraft and numerous ships searching for the last couple of days.  Even if it went into the sea you'd imagine it would have broken up on impact and left debris.

Strange that to date there's been nothing.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2014, 10:24:57 am »

At the end of the day, I don't think it's a priority to check the people going out of your country. In terms of saftey, it's more important that people don't take dangerous things like weapons, explosives and the like onto the plane. It is also not clear whether those people using the fake passports would have been caught at their destination, as I'd imagine checks would be much more thorough when they're entering the Schengen-region or entering a different country in general.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2014, 10:35:02 am »
And it's not like they won't be doubling security checks and whatnot during this time. You're probably safer to fly now than you would have been before the accident, as stupid as that may sound.

Was going to say the same thing, your probably safer flying with Malaysia now due to the hightened levels of security and safety they will no doubt now be at.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2014, 10:44:26 am »

:( I just hope they find out what happened. If the wreckage is in the ocean, a problem though is it has sunk/ began sinking or drifted away by a current.
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2014, 10:56:20 am »
At the end of the day, I don't think it's a priority to check the people going out of your country. In terms of saftey, it's more important that people don't take dangerous things like weapons, explosives and the like onto the plane. It is also not clear whether those people using the fake passports would have been caught at their destination, as I'd imagine checks would be much more thorough when they're entering the Schengen-region or entering a different country in general.

It should be. It prevents people escaping a jurisdiction for local crimes/war crimes, prevents the likelihood of identifying criminal movements, would reduce the opportunity for people to sell fake passports (if checks on them are being checked against a database).
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2014, 01:44:45 pm »
Looks like they have found it:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

Hong Kong's Air Traffic Control Center reported on Mar 10th 2014 around 17:30L (09:30Z) that an airliner enroute on airway L642 reported via HF radio that they saw a large field of debris at position N9.72 E107.42 about 80nm southeast of Ho Chi Minh City, about 50nm off the south-eastern coast of Vietnam in the South China Sea and about 281nm northeast of the last known radar position. Ships have been dispatched to the reported debris field.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2014, 01:45:29 pm »
Interpol have stated that an estimated 1 billion passengers each year don't have their passports properly checked when flying. Think people are playing up the two illegal passports a little too much. Only time will tell however.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2014, 01:46:24 pm »
This will be a maintenance issue.

Offline viteslesrouges

• Legacy Fan
  • Games : 535. Won : 308. Drawn : 131. Lost : 96
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2014, 01:53:57 pm »
Looks like they have found it:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

So, it seems to have flown quite a bit further than the areas being searched before?
You made me forget myself, I thought I was someone else, someone good.

Offline La Vecchia Magpie

• Terry de Niro's Geordie rival...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2014, 01:58:29 pm »
Not related to this story really but just going back to the security side of it, I remember a few years ago walking through Palma airport in Majorca to the passport check bit, we literally walked straight through. The fella behind the glass barely glanced, I could have been holding a drivers license for all he knew
The Wood Preservation Society. Hopefully that shed's the equivalent of Fritzel's cellar.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2014, 02:03:40 pm »
BBC says there are still no clues as to where the plane is.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Online red_lfc_costello

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2014, 02:08:14 pm »
I don't think that's a debris field, looks to be just waves and a dirty window to me. Someone had that picture up on twitter hours ago claiming that it was a debris field. It could well be and the info is slow to come out, but until its on the BBC or whoever I don't think there's anything in it.
You appear to hve mistaken 'the funny photo thread' for the 'pointless, pre-pubescent nonsensical not even porn but "look, look, it's a girl" thread'

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2014, 02:28:18 pm »
It's a surprise that when you type your passport number in when you buy your ticket that they (the airline) don't have access to the list of robbed numbers.
It's seems the sort of thing that could be done very easily and cheaply. When you think of the effort they go to with the shoes off belt off computer out palava when there are millions of flights on robbed documents every year.

Offline Istanbul Therapy Group

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll hear our famous noise
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2014, 03:10:38 pm »
Still nothing confirmed then in terms of finding the wreckage? Even with the AF447 crash they had the wreckage in a day. This is so strange.

Appreciate the size of the area they are searching, but given there is 30+ planes searching its crazy that nothing at all has been found.

He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2014, 03:12:36 pm »
Been following this story very closely.

Malaysia Airlines seems to have high ratings and a good safety record, and the 777 has a tremendous track record.

Lots and lots of speculation but very little to go on. AF447 was ultimately pilot error but the error messages from the pitot tubes gave investigators a lead immediately.  The recorders took a long time to find but the wreckage was found within 2 days if I recall correctly.

No sign of this plane or much else so far.
King Kenny.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2014, 03:59:26 pm »
Why are they searching the seas? 

Wouldn't it also be possible that there is an electrical/fuel/whatever problem that causes everything to shut down and the plane glides/crash lands onto the land? 

Isn't it more helpful to also search above Cambodia, Vietnam or the areas around it?  There are quite a bit of sparsely populated jungle anyway.
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2014, 04:01:42 pm »
It's seems the sort of thing that could be done very easily and cheaply. When you think of the effort they go to with the shoes off belt off computer out palava when there are millions of flights on robbed documents every year.

But that's the thing. For the airline having someone with a fake document onboard isn't as bad as someone bringing a knife, gun or bomb. You cannot hijack or crash a plane with a stolen identity. You can do that with knifes, guns or explosives though... It's a question of priorities and knowing the identities of the passengers doesn't seem to be a priority for airlines. Simply because they don't care as long as the ticket gets paid for and the guy on the plane can't do anything stupid...

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2014, 04:15:39 pm »

Wouldn't it also be possible that there is an electrical/fuel/whatever problem that causes everything to shut down and the plane glides/crash lands onto the land? 

Isn't it more helpful to also search above Cambodia, Vietnam or the areas around it?  There are quite a bit of sparsely populated jungle anyway.

I have neither lived nor visited the countries you mentioned so it is purely opinion, but I would find it very hard to believe that someone (fisherman, rural farmer, tribeman etc.) would fail to see a Boeing 777 jet crash landing in the jungle. On top of the fact the smoke from the crash site would surely be visible for a considerable amount of time after the initial impact, even if the some of the fuel on board had been jettisoned into the sea, makes me think it highly unlikely the jet managed to crash onto the mainland of the countries mentioned.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2014, 04:17:26 pm »
Doesn't the black box have a locator device? Isn't that how they found the french plane?

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2014, 04:22:58 pm »
Doesn't the black box have a locator device? Isn't that how they found the french plane?

The Airbus which crashed in the Atlantic in 2009? If I remember correctly they discovered fuselage (and bodies I think) within a few weeks days of that crash, so they isolated the crash site to so many square miles. Even so it took sonar imaging to actually locate the wreckage on the sea bed floor, and that costs considerable time and money. Air France funded the whole thing I believe.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:25:49 pm by Broad Spectrum »

Offline Istanbul Therapy Group

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll hear our famous noise
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2014, 04:23:58 pm »

I think the fire from the crash would be very noticeable.

If the plane had landed safely, surely there would have been a phone call from someone? Emergency flares? Planes must have emergency radios? Its not happened. The plane has to be in the sea.
He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2014, 04:52:51 pm »
The Airbus which crashed in the Atlantic in 2009? If I remember correctly they discovered fuselage (and bodies I think) within a few weeks days of that crash, so they isolated the crash site to so many square miles. Even so it took sonar imaging to actually locate the wreckage on the sea bed floor, and that costs considerable time and money. Air France funded the whole thing I believe.
Ah okay.