Author Topic: The Tennis Thread - Sponsored By Melt-downium  (Read 937294 times)

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
The Tennis Thread - Sponsored By Melt-downium
« on: March 14, 2013, 07:40:01 pm »
I know it's a couple of months into the tennis season but i couldn't find a thread for this.

Federer and Nadal resume their incredible rivalry in the Indian Wells QF's today at around 7pm local time (2am GMT). The last time the two met was at the same tournament 12 months ago, with Federer beating Nadal in straight sets. This is the first time Federer and Nadal have met before a SF since their first meeting back in 2004. The winner will face either Tomas Berdych or Kevin Anderson in the semis.

Djokovic and Murray play in their respective QF's tomorrow (Djokovic faces Tsonga and Murray faces Del Potro). If they both win they'll set up a SF meeting, it would be their first match against each other since the Australian Open final.

On the women's side, Azarenka faces Wozniacki and Kerber plays Stosur later today in the QF's. Sharapova and Kirilenko have already set up a SF clash tomorrow.

So who's going to come out on top, Federer or Nadal? They both came through a tough match yesterday in 3 sets. You'd have to favour Federer as this is on hard courts and it's Nadal's first tournament on one for nearly a year. 

« Last Edit: September 8, 2018, 11:10:07 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The 2013 Tennis Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:52:53 pm »
Federer will (or should) walk this.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 11:27:25 pm »

I think Federer will win in straight sets, although i don't think it'll be as comfortable as you're saying.

Berdych will play the winner in the semis after he beat Kevin Anderson 6-4 6-4.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:32:32 pm »
Hopefully the GOAT hammers the arse picker. Dunno whether to stay up and watch hmmm, is friday tomorrow so only one knackered day at work.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 03:47:38 am »
Nadal completely dominant, he beats Federer 6-4 6-2.

I can't even remember Federer having a comfortable service game. I'm not sure if Federer was suffering with something but Nadal was brilliant. His knee didn't seem to be troubling him much which is good to see.

If Murray reaches the final he will replace Federer as world number two.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 03:50:36 am by Titan »

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 04:38:37 pm »
not bad for an arse picker
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 04:59:57 pm »
Nadal completely dominant, he beats Federer 6-4 6-2.

I can't even remember Federer having a comfortable service game. I'm not sure if Federer was suffering with something but Nadal was brilliant. His knee didn't seem to be troubling him much which is good to see.

If Murray reaches the final he will replace Federer as world number two.

He was excellent. Great to see him hitting the ball so well. Tennis is defo not the same without him.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 08:33:26 pm »
I think Federer will win in straight sets, although i don't think it'll be as comfortable as you're saying.

Berdych will play the winner in the semis after he beat Kevin Anderson 6-4 6-4.
Hopefully the GOAT hammers the arse picker. Dunno whether to stay up and watch hmmm, is friday tomorrow so only one knackered day at work.
Showed you, didn't he?

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 08:42:14 pm »
murray/del potro tonight. murray has a 5-1 record with his only loss coming on clay. even though their last meeting was 4 years ago you have to fancy a murray win and another semi final for him
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 08:42:17 pm »
Showed you, didn't he?

He certainly did, looked close to his best yesterday which is remarkable given it's only his fourth tournament since his comeback.

Berdych will arguably be a tougher test for him as Federer didn't seem to be moving at 100%. Hopefully he can get through that as i'd love to see a Nadal vs Djokovic/Murray final.

Djokovic about to start his QF match against Tsonga which is followed by Murray vs Del Potro.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 08:57:25 pm »
murray/del potro tonight. murray has a 5-1 record with his only loss coming on clay. even though their last meeting was 4 years ago you have to fancy a murray win and another semi final for him

Del Potro's in decent form at the moment. Won the Rotterdam title a few weeks back and lost out in the semis in Dubai to Djokovic a couple of weeks ago. He's looked good so far in Indian Wells too while Murray has struggled so far, almost lost the first set to Berlocq and hasn't been at his best. He hasn't played since the Aussie Open though, so it's not a great surprise.

Hopefully Murray is back to his best today, i think he'll need to be if he wants to get past Del Potro.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 09:52:03 pm »
Djokovic thrashes Tsonga 6-3 6-1. Looks in insanely good form, still unbeaten this season.

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 11:29:55 pm »
Djokovic thrashes Tsonga 6-3 6-1. Looks in insanely good form, still unbeaten this season.

Sat down to watch that and it was over within an hour! Fantastic performance from Djokovic.
Justice for the 97

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 11:49:15 pm »
Murray takes the first set on a tie break, including a 43 shot rally!

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 12:07:20 am »
Del Potro broke Murray to love and looks like he'll take the second set.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 01:18:11 am »
Del Potro wins 6-7 6-3 6-1. Murray wasn't at his best, Del Potro dominated from the baseline and deserved the win.

Nadal vs Berdych and Djokovic vs Del Potro in the semis.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 02:36:51 am »
Showed you, didn't he?

Not really, nope.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 09:18:59 pm »
Nadal beats Berdych 6-4 7-5 to make his fourth straight final appearance since his comeback.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:39:03 am by Titan »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 11:46:51 pm »
Showed you, didn't he?

Federer can't have been that arsed because no way should he be losing to Nadal in this condition.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 12:21:31 am »
Fucking awesome to see Delpo playing so well.

Offline Po The Panda

• Keyboard Narcoleptic. Has Christiano Ronaldo as his profile picture. Stuck with this name. You could call it his legacy.....wants to pop a caps lock in yo ass.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Real Username: LEGACY
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 12:25:20 am »
If Del Potro is on form Tennis would have a top 5, on that form  he his a dark horse to win the French Open and a favorite to win the US Open I think the Del Potro of 2009 is coming back. Which would be great for men's tennis  seeing a new face on top of the game instead of usually top 4. 

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 12:35:59 am »
Incredible from Del Potro! Really didn't think he'd win that, particularly after losing the first set and then going a break down in the decider. Djokovic's unbeaten start to the season is over.

Nadal-Del Potro will be incredibly tough to call if Del Potro can play like he did today.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 12:37:02 am »
Federer can't have been that arsed because no way should he be losing to Nadal in this condition.

Federer was struggling with a back problem apparently.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 07:40:26 am »
Federer was struggling with a back problem apparently.

Explains that then.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 10:56:30 pm »
This is an epic final between Del Potro and Nadal. Great to see them both back in action and back to their best. Mens Tennis has gone to a new level over the last 5 years.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 11:13:11 pm »
This is an epic final between Del Potro and Nadal. Great to see them both back in action and back to their best. Mens Tennis has gone to a new level over the last 5 years.

Yep. For the past few months we've still had some great tennis with Djokovic, Federer and Murray but with Nadal back and Del Potro looking brilliant it could be an incredible season.

Del Potro looked like he was going to take this at a set and a break up but Nadal's come roaring back. Del Potro's just held a very tight first game of the deciding set. Too close to call at the moment.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 11:49:00 pm »
Well played Rafa, and it is great to see him back and raring to go.

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 11:52:19 pm »
The sooner his knees explode the better.
hi

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 11:55:31 pm »
Amazing achievement to win the tournament. Hope he stays injury free and picks up a couple of grandslams this year.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 11:56:59 pm »
Nadal wins a brilliant encounter 4-6 6-3 6-4.

His first title outside of the clay since winning the US Open in 2010 and a record 22nd Masters crown. Amazing to see him win the tournament after being out for a while. I think he moves up to world number 4 now, which i'm sure the top 3 won't mind about, with the French Open coming up. He isn't playing in Miami next week, however.

Del Potro has shown the form that took him to the US Open title in '09. Hopefully he can remain injury free and make it a 'big 5'. It shouldn't be long before he wins his first Masters 1000 tournament.

In the women's final, Sharapova beat Wozniacki 6-2 6-2.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 12:25:49 am by Titan »

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 12:30:46 am »
A record 22 ATP Titles for Nadal, only a year older than Andy and Nole, remarkable to think how Nadal could be if he didn't suffer from knee problems.

He may have over the last two years, won grand-slams and ATP titles , but he was looking pretty jaded and was not at the level he was around 2007- 2009, but you can never tell if he's carrying an injury since he is one of the best competitors in sport.

Hope now Andy makes the Miami masters final.

Classy
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 07:23:16 am »
Too early to claim Del Potro can trouble the main 4 players in the grand slams. He is a bit too erratic and I can't see anything further than semis at best this year and even then that happening at the US open.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 03:11:50 pm »
del potro to play at queens

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 07:42:35 pm »

That's just sickening....why such hate for one of the all time greats?

Offline Quaid

• Thinks clinical is cretinous. Takes one to know one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 07:49:30 pm »

How are you a RAWK supporter with comments like that  ???

Even if you're joking the guy hasn't done anything to deserve idiotic comments, he's a tennis legend.
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline Quaid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2013, 07:52:57 pm »
Too early to claim Del Potro can trouble the main 4 players in the grand slams. He is a bit too erratic and I can't see anything further than semis at best this year and even then that happening at the US open.

Yeah definitely. He relies on his power far too much, and his back-hand is awful. Still surprised he won at Flushing Meadows back in 2009.
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2013, 09:38:41 pm »
Yeah definitely. He relies on his power far too much, and his back-hand is awful. Still surprised he won at Flushing Meadows back in 2009.

:o He has a solid backhand. I think he can close the gap on the top 4 but unfortunately the one thing he lacks that the other 4 are exceptional at (particularly Djokovic, Nadal and Murray) is movement. He's a pretty good mover for his size and height but the top 4 are a level or two above him in that area. I think he's got a decent game though and should get into the top 5 soon. Whether he's good enough to win more slams is another question, however.

Anyway, the draw is out for Miami. Federer and Nadal have both elected to skip this tournament, with Djokovic, Murray, Ferrer and Berdych the top four seeds.

Potential QF's for top 4 seeds:

Djokovic [1] vs Tipsarevic [7]
Ferrer [3] vs Del Potro [5]

Berdych [4] vs Gasquet [8]
Murray [2] vs Tsonga [6]

Offline Quaid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2013, 10:49:04 pm »
:o He has a solid backhand. I think he can close the gap on the top 4 but unfortunately the one thing he lacks that the other 4 are exceptional at (particularly Djokovic, Nadal and Murray) is movement. He's a pretty good mover for his size and height but the top 4 are a level or two above him in that area. I think he's got a decent game though and should get into the top 5 soon. Whether he's good enough to win more slams is another question, however.

Anyway, the draw is out for Miami. Federer and Nadal have both elected to skip this tournament, with Djokovic, Murray, Ferrer and Berdych the top four seeds.

Potential QF's for top 4 seeds:

Djokovic [1] vs Tipsarevic [7]
Ferrer [3] vs Del Potro [5]

Berdych [4] vs Gasquet [8]
Murray [2] vs Tsonga [6]

Perhaps awful was an exaggeration. Obviously he's an ex-US Open champion and he's a very talented player, but in comparison to others around him (both above and below him in the rankings) Del Potro doesn't possess a solid backhand. He doesn't have a solid sliced backhand, and he rarely chooses to hit a backhand down the line. That said he did utilise the sliced backhand in California last week very well, something he hasn't done often in his career. People talk about this guy and how he has the talent to break into that 'top 4' and win a slam again this season, but it's not just his movement that separates him from the other's, it's his shot selection as well. Anyone who's watched Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray regularly will know their shot making abilities are not to dissimilar. Obviously Federer is the most technically gifted tennis player of all time, but the other 3 are very similar with regards to passing shots, drop shots etc.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2013, 04:38:10 am »
After a great week last week for Del Potro, he goes out in his first match in Miami, losing 7-6 6-1 to Tobias Kamke.

Djokovic starts his title defence by thrashing Lukas Rosol 6-1 6-0.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2013, 08:22:58 pm »
Murray beats Tomic 6-3 6-1. Good start to the tournament from him.

Grigor Dimitrov up next for him.