Author Topic: End of facebook?  (Read 12900 times)

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: End of facebook?
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 06:22:05 pm »
Some people decide to use it to reveal every aspect of their shit little lives.

I have a cousin who quite often says "why can't people just stay out of my business" one day, then the next they're posting all about the argument they've had with their boyfriend. Make your mind up FFS!

"Just off to gregs". Fuck off you boring twat, hope you get food poisoning.

Highly likely when eating there :)
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline mattsant

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS #9517
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 06:59:48 pm »

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 08:02:11 pm »
I only use it for taking the piss out of people and posting football videos to my mates. Some people decide to use it to reveal every aspect of their shit little lives.

"Just off to gregs". Fuck off you boring twat, hope you get food poisoning.

Probably explains why I only have a small amount of friends compared to some.

yeah or "standing at the bus stop, waiting for the number 9" lol

Offline skooma

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our change into rain is no change at all.
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2011, 08:06:41 pm »
The only Facebook killer is another facebook.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2011, 08:19:17 pm »
Why is it the end of Facebook becaus ein some countries they have reached saturation level?

Surely that is success, not failure?
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2011, 08:21:00 am »
I don't get the narcissism with it; when someone has to tell their 'friends' (half of which they have never met or seen in the flesh) "just taken a shit"
6 people like this.

"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2011, 08:24:01 am »
Having only 700 million users must be a great worry to them.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline mattsant

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS #9517
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2011, 08:24:28 am »
The only Facebook killer is another facebook.

Let's get on it.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 08:25:37 am »
Its all because of the shit loads of spam that comes your way now.  And the privacy settings are a joke since anyone can send you a friend request and there is no way of hiding things like your profile picture in a public search.  A lot of things wrong with it at the moment but I'll persevere with it simply because it is the one thing that has kept me in touch with people I lost other contact with years ago and genuinely have nothing but good wishes for.   

User error is no reason to be slagging off technology young man. Learn how to use the tools before saying they are shite. Just because you don't know how to use something doesn't make it stupid. You own a mirror to identify the real suspect in this instance ;)

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2011, 09:01:16 am »
User error is no reason to be slagging off technology young man. Learn how to use the tools before saying they are shite. Just because you don't know how to use something doesn't make it stupid. You own a mirror to identify the real suspect in this instance ;)

Actually, spam is a big problem, something FB can't sort out that easily since they allowed third party applications.  I am not and never have been a fan of these applications and as a result, I have every reason to be a bit miffed that this link up, originally created to allow users to play games etc are now being used to send spam my way. 

I was never in favour of linking up with third party applications since they inevitably head down this route but now that it has happened I have every right to be miffed. 

All that said, the good outweigh the bad and I still use it and haven't ever thought of deleting my account.  I just wish they could allow users customise the privacy settings a bit more and could do something to stop these shitty like thingies going viral all over the site. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2011, 09:02:02 am »
Can't stand it , never have .

Sometimes catch the kids on it , and the stuff being posted is inane drivel in the main.

If it floats your boat , fair enough . It doesn't float mine !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2011, 09:07:19 am »
It wasn't going to carry on growing forever was it.

I think they've fucked around with it too much. It's far too complicated and messy now. Also fucking about with the privacy settings and what people can/can't see hasn't helped. Don't use it as much as I once did. Also noticed that others are using it far less now. The number of pics people post has fallen drastically.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2011, 09:23:10 am »
I actually deleted my facebook over exams for a month. I used to go on it religiously and I started it back up and check it once in a while. I don't read my notifications and I've got 15 I believe. I just check my wall and that's about it.

I also deleted the app of my blackberry its amazing how more active you can become without looking into other peoples lives.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2011, 09:24:17 am »
Actually, spam is a big problem, something FB can't sort out that easily since they allowed third party applications.  I am not and never have been a fan of these applications and as a result, I have every reason to be a bit miffed that this link up, originally created to allow users to play games etc are now being used to send spam my way. 

I was never in favour of linking up with third party applications since they inevitably head down this route but now that it has happened I have every right to be miffed. 

All that said, the good outweigh the bad and I still use it and haven't ever thought of deleting my account.  I just wish they could allow users customise the privacy settings a bit more and could do something to stop these shitty like thingies going viral all over the site. 

Must be something to do with your settings. I don't get spam. Use the https setting and it blocks pretty much everything.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2011, 09:25:43 am »
It wasn't going to carry on growing forever was it.

I think they've fucked around with it too much. It's far too complicated and messy now. Also fucking about with the privacy settings and what people can/can't see hasn't helped. Don't use it as much as I once did. Also noticed that others are using it far less now. The number of pics people post has fallen drastically.

Why do you think it's complicated? Post message. Done. Post picture (When my blackberry isn't arsing about). Done. Post a picture on the PC. Done. Seems pretty straightforward to me..

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2011, 09:51:30 am »
Why do you think it's complicated? Post message. Done. Post picture (When my blackberry isn't arsing about). Done. Post a picture on the PC. Done. Seems pretty straightforward to me..

I'm a simple person who preferred the old simple (for me) layout with the easier (for me) privacy settings.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2011, 10:12:39 am »
like RAWK, it's yet another opiate for the weak minded. There is a finite amount of crap that people can fit into their heads, and Facebook is a great way of filling heads with virtual sewage, rather than actually doing something with someone or something real that may have some kind of meaning or outcome.

Thats depressing yet so true.

I need to log of.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2011, 11:34:34 am »
Facial recognition technology will ultimately culminate in the ability to search for people using just a picture. And that will be the end of privacy as we know it--imagine, a world in which someone can simply take a photo of you on the street, in a crowd, or with a telephoto lens, and discover everything about you on the internet.

What exactly will they find out by doing so? That I went on the ale the night before?

Offline freedom

• Legacy Fan
  • ♥ You'll never walk alone ♥
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2011, 12:11:15 pm »
End of facebook? 
Bill Shankly: " A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. "

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ LIVERPOOL¤*¨*¤.
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2011, 12:11:46 pm »
End of facebook? 

What's yours then?  :P

Offline loveisreal

• manloveisrealtoo. Takin' Bascombe to taskombe.
  • Kopite
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2011, 12:17:50 pm »
i honestly don't get people that don't like facebook, it's as amazing a development in social interaction as the mobile phone. 

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2011, 12:28:01 pm »
i honestly don't get people that don't like facebook, it's as amazing a development in social interaction as the mobile phone.

What do you not get about them?

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2011, 12:39:19 pm »
I log on everyday and have a quick browse of status updates and a few pics of certain people, not bad for keeping in touch with a few old faces and easy to keep in touch with regards to up coming events. But besides all that use it a lot less than I used to and hide away a fair few people as the shite they come out with is annoying and you see another side to them, basically things that should be left between them and their partner.

About the same for me, I log on about once a day for a quick look, it's usually just the same faces every day chatting shite. I can't be arsed putting anything on it nowadays, just use it for a quick nose around.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline ..Bruiser..

• A liver bird upon me chest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2011, 12:41:50 pm »
I only use the iPhone for Facebook so I miss the spam crap. I've got as many as 24 friends!!
96 friends we'll never forget
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline loveisreal

• Kopite
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2011, 12:45:57 pm »
What do you not get about them?

why they don't embrace such an amazing technology.  it's dead good.

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2011, 12:47:04 pm »
why they don't embrace such an amazing technology.  it's dead good.

I see.

Offline loveisreal

• Kopite
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2011, 12:53:16 pm »
I see.

fair enough if you're not on it and you don't go on the internet, but eschewing fb and going on rawk is pretty odd.  choosing to interact with people you don't know, rather than people you do...

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2011, 12:55:40 pm »
fair enough if you're not on it and you don't go on the internet, but eschewing fb and going on rawk is pretty odd.  choosing to interact with people you don't know, rather than people you do...

I interact with people I know every day.

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2011, 01:09:39 pm »
When you hear stories such as this you do actually begin to think WTF.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13751454

A juror, who contacted a defendant via Facebook, has admitted contempt of court in the first case of its kind in the UK involving the internet.

London's High Court heard that Joanne Fraill, 40, contacted Jamie Sewart, 34, who had already been acquitted in a drugs trial in Manchester.

However, the jury was still considering charges against other defendants and the contact led the judge to discharge the jury, and the case collapsed.

Sewart was found to be in contempt.

She had admitted the contact took place but denied it amounted to an offence.

The pair now face up to two years in jail.

The case, brought by the Attorney General, Dominic Grieve QC, is being heard by the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Judge, and two other judges.

Fraill admitted she had made online contact with Ms Sewart and discussed the case with her while the jury's deliberations were continuing.

She also admitted revealing details of the jury's deliberations during that online conversation - contrary to Contempt of Court Act 1981 - and conducting internet research into a defendant whose case she was trying as a juror during the trial.

That was despite the judge reminding all the jurors that they must decide the case solely on the evidence given in court.
'Home and dry'

Earlier this year, the attorney general sought permission at the High Court to bring the proceedings against Fraill, of Blackley, Manchester, and Ms Sewart, of Bolton.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

All that note-taking was killing time. I drew more than I wrote”

End Quote Facebook comment by Joannne Fraill

Fraill was on a jury in a case which had already been halted twice.

On 3 August last year, the judge in the third trial of the alleged drugs gang gave jurors the option of deciding the verdict by a majority rather than unanimously.

But the High Court was told the trial was stopped the following day when Ms Sewart's solicitor informed the court that his client and Fraill had been in contact by Facebook.

The court heard Fraill had gone on Facebook and tracked down Ms Sewart.

"I can't believe they had you on remand," she said in one of their conversations.

Fraill added she thought she recognised one of the other defendants and when asked by Sewart how the jury was dealing with one of the outstanding charges said: "Can't get anyone to go, no-one is budging".

The two continued to talk about the case and used expressions such as "lol" and other internet slang.

Frail also said: "At least you are home and dry".

And Ms Sewart responded: "Ha ha, you're mad. I really appreciate everything. I could have kissed you."

The pair agreed to become Facebook friends after the trial.

Fraill also described her role on the jury in their conversations. "All that note-taking was killing time. I drew more than I wrote," she said.

Angus McCullough QC, for the attorney general, told the High Court: "That contact and discussion were in direct breach of the judge's repeated directions to the jury that they should not discuss the case with anyone outside their number, and constituted a contempt of court."

In a speech last year, the Lord Chief Justice warned that jurors could go to jail if they searched the internet for information on defendants. At the time of the speech, he said that he knew of one rape trial which had been stopped because of online research by jurors.

"It is at least arguable that for a juror to examine the internet for information relating to the case is a contempt of court, and a criminal contempt," he said.

"One consequence of the use, or rather misuse of modern technology in the course of the trial would be that they may be liable to a finding of contempt of court, and indeed a sentence."

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2011, 01:14:50 pm »
like RAWK, it's yet another opiate for the weak minded.
Another ringing endorsement  ;D

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2011, 01:19:29 pm »
When you hear stories such as this you do actually begin to think WTF.

I heard that this morning...but not too surprised when I saw her picture.  Cant understand why those type of people are part of the jurry who will decide you fate in court room, but at least it keep the democratic hippies happy
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2011, 01:59:34 pm »

It has some very obvious benefits, and if I had family abroad I can see how it might be more useful. But I think it devalues the relationships closer to home by making them more disposable. It's an issue that I have with modern life, which is generally rubbish. I wish to relocate to Edwardian England, please. :wave

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2011, 02:53:01 pm »
It has some very obvious benefits, and if I had family abroad I can see how it might be more useful. But I think it devalues the relationships closer to home by making them more disposable. It's an issue that I have with modern life, which is generally rubbish. I wish to relocate to Edwardian England, please. :wave

Calling cards and kippers for breakfast?

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2011, 06:13:08 pm »
Agree that it has the benefits for the 'older' generations to catch up with long lost friends etc but I think as a few have mentioned earlier its become tainted with an overload in pathetic 'like' pages with the odd one you could actually laugh at. It's became a place where people who think they have big  ego's do all sorts to get the limelight and plus the privacy settings are all over the place as you can pretty much see/do anything on anyone's profile unless they've properly safe guarded.

Also, I think Twitter must be on the rise as its a lot more simple, you don't get spam and you only see tweets what are relevant to you and the people you decide to follow. The end of facebook? not yet but give it a year or so and numbers will continue to decreases at a growing rate.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2011, 06:16:47 pm »
Facebook will eventually go the same way as myspace.

It will still be around in 10 years but with far less active users.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2011, 06:31:11 pm »
Not even gone IPO yet....oh, it's gonna be around for quite a while longer. If they stay with the market and continue to evolve (like myspace, bebo, friendster etc didn't) then they could be as long term as Microsoft, Apple, and the mostly maturing Google. There are only a limited number of things in this world that are as ubiquitous as Facebook.

Offline darubio

• Main Stander
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2011, 06:36:29 pm »
Facebook are gaining millions of users from asian countries such as the Philippines and others so I doubt 100k or more people leave FB matters

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2011, 06:49:37 pm »
Facepub is where it's at you crazy cats. Get on it.

Meeting people in person is the new craze thats sweeping the nation.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline TheDpoLenz without the please like

• Loves to cream himself - but never on the face... cainarbatonmai
  • Legacy Fan
  • sound,,,,,,
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2011, 06:56:27 pm »

Offline Mrfabulous

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2011, 07:09:31 pm »
Facebook is shit.