Author Topic: Living in London  (Read 168337 times)

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
Re: Living in London
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2009, 12:52:28 pm »

Never mentioned a car mate.I was referring to after a night out.Why the fuck you cant get round a city on public transport after 1am when the last tube stops.Bit silly really.You either have to queue up for a night bus and wait fucking ages,or alternatively jump in a dodgy cab.
I know thats what you meant really, but I was being slightly facetious, as the 'you dont need a car in london' line was trotted out in reply to me above. I've had that many people say that to me, I always want to poke them in the eye when they do. Its always the very same people who aways want to borrow a car, who are always looking for a lift and eventually end up getting their own cars because they do need one.

Besides the fact that some people drive as part of their jobs, the parking and the congestion zone are a fucking nightmare. The congestion zone particularly is horseshit, tell you what would cut down on congestion, stop people having kids! If there were no schools in central London traffic wouldnt be half as bad. Pipe dream I know, but it is true. The difference between how busy it is when the schools are on holidays and term time when the little rats are being ferried about is massive. To a degree I suppose it depends on the person and where they live in London, as big as it is there are people who never really leave their own little areas, and as such yeah, you dont need a car if you only ever move within a small neighbourhood. I've known people shit themselves about the idea of going into the west end from Harlesden, and its on the bleeding doorstep of the west end.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2009, 01:23:00 pm »
:-X

I would rise to the bait but instead I'm going to plead the 6th 5th  ;D
I think someone has been to anger management classes  :P

You always got riled as far as slagging London was concerned .

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2009, 01:25:42 pm »
I think someone has been to anger management classes  :P

You always got riled as far as slagging London was concerned .
Yep, believe me when I say I have bigger things to be concerned about than a few rat's piss comments...people change.

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2009, 01:38:35 pm »
(makes a stand for the "b*llocks to having a car in London" brigade)
If you work in Central London, you can easily live without a car (and all the associated expenses, which you probably want to avoid when you're starting out).
I easily get by with:
1. Bus/tube to work.
2. Going out - public transport.
3. Cycle to Sat/Sun football (if at home)
4. Train to Sat/Sun football (if at away)
5. I might concede ground on a Vespa - no congestion charge, doesn't eat up too much petrol, easy to park and good way to dodge the traffic. My bird got one in the summer to go see her horse after work - easy way to get away.
And I sometimes get a lift with my mate to our evening classes (saves me 10 minutes) - if you have to hit the roads in the city, the best way to travel.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2009, 01:43:22 pm »
(makes a stand for the "b*llocks to having a car in London" brigade)
If you work in Central London, you can easily live without a car (and all the associated expenses, which you probably want to avoid when you're starting out).
I easily get by with:
1. Bus/tube to work.
2. Going out - public transport.
3. Cycle to Sat/Sun football (if at home)
4. Train to Sat/Sun football (if at away)
5. I might concede ground on a Vespa - no congestion charge, doesn't eat up too much petrol, easy to park and good way to dodge the traffic. My bird got one in the summer to go see her horse after work - easy way to get away.
And I sometimes get a lift with my mate to our evening classes (saves me 10 minutes) - if you have to hit the roads in the city, the best way to travel.
Hey whatever works for you, and that does work for a lot of people. But its often been my experience that if someone can drive, they do find the want and need for a car.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2009, 03:07:25 pm »
Yep, very nice. I went to Teddington school and the surrounding area is very nice.

My sister used to live in Teddington (and the brother-in-law is originally from Richmond, albeit "the rough part", which always makes me laugh). Having spent a fair bit of time there and in Kilburn in my teens I can safely say which one I prefered. Seemed very posh... y'know, compared to a 2 bedroom flat in Kilburn.

Best of luck to you wherever you end up L6.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2009, 03:10:52 pm »
The Met Line is Beelzebub's personal transport. West of Baker Street the carriages bounce. The undulations of the track must be close to the resonant frequency of the suspension or some such. Anyway, the "bounce" has an emetic effect. It's the most unpleasant train to travel on hungover. And I have been hungover on all of the tube lines.

The Northern Line and Piccadilly line are much more pleasant travelling, even if the Northern Line northbound does pass through some of the most concentrated twattiness in the capital.

Haha quality, I grew up in Harrow and the combined total time of my life spent travelling on the Met line in and out of London must add up to days!!...

Which bit of the Northern line do you hate? I'm guessing round the Golders Green area...

He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline ceros

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2009, 04:34:15 pm »
Dalston is far enough from the centre so you don't have to pay £700/month for a small room and close enough to everywhere that you can bus it and even walk it (if you don't mind walking for an hour).

Haven't lived there for years but I found it very convenient. Great choice of interesting bars and restaurants too.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 05:34:02 pm by ceros »

Offline matthew45

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Try hard blogger and embarrassed OOT
    • Matthew Cain's blog
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2009, 05:26:58 pm »
I infinitely prefer getting the bus around London. A quick commute from King X would be Islington and Hackney. E8 is cheaper than some places (though not as a cheap as it was) and there are parts of islington which are affordable, when renting.
I blog about Liverpool, mostly focussed on the reserves, at: http://blog.matthewcain.co.uk/category/liverpool-fc/

Offline ceros

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2009, 05:36:24 pm »

Offline King Tay

• Kopite
  • F**k Off Lampard!!!
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2009, 10:09:32 am »
I moved to London about 18 months ago and spent the first year in Isleworth (which is sort of OK) and now I am living in a flat in Twickenham which is really nice (although there hasnt been a rugby international since i moved yet)

I had to commute almost 2 hours each way to my job in Shoreditch and I hated it that much I packed my job in. If I had any advice on living down here it would be to live near to where you work if at all possible.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2009, 11:50:42 am »
I moved to London about 18 months ago and spent the first year in Isleworth (which is sort of OK) and now I am living in a flat in Twickenham which is really nice (although there hasnt been a rugby international since i moved yet)

I had to commute almost 2 hours each way to my job in Shoreditch and I hated it that much I packed my job in. If I had any advice on living down here it would be to live near to where you work if at all possible.

I take it when you lived in Isleworth you didnt live near the sewage works? :-p
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2009, 12:01:18 pm »
Stratford's where it's at.

The Old Bell is a good pub in Kilburn, though.

Offline King Tay

• Kopite
  • F**k Off Lampard!!!
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2009, 12:08:22 pm »
I take it when you lived in Isleworth you didnt live near the sewage works? :-p

I never noticed it when i lived there ( was right next to the river so probably smelt that instead) but everytime i go past now i can smell it. Its just been given the go ahead to be enlarged as well.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2009, 12:10:58 pm »
I never noticed it when i lived there ( was right next to the river so probably smelt that instead) but everytime i go past now i can smell it. Its just been given the go ahead to be enlarged as well.

In the Summer it can be unbareable, i dont know how people put up with it, but some people cant stand the aircraft noise where i live and i dont even notice it.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2009, 12:13:59 pm »

Stratford is great for transport links still rough as arseholes though. Kris I'd steer clear of East London, Tottenham and South East London. You thought about moving to Angel or Camden both close to Kings Cross transport wise, plenty to do and not shitholes.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2009, 12:32:46 pm »
There don't seem to be many 'medium' areas in London, from the times I've been the place is either a shithole or a clean, friendly place. Does anyone else find Covant Garden massively overrated?

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2009, 12:47:13 pm »
I've lived in Hammersmith for 4 years and a bit now since I moved here for uni. London is deffo full of arrogant, rude, smelly wankers but is still boss as a student. Not sure if i'll be staying here post-grad though but whoever said it's a great experience when you're young and have few responsibilities is spot on. Don't know much about kings cross apart from it's littered with weirdos at night, deffo plenty of brass around there though. Hammersmith is ok, also largely a bit of a shithole but has some nice bits, next to the river, great transport links, some nice boozers, close enough to commute into central london but far enough to get out quickly and live in a residential area. 
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline ceros

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2009, 12:50:59 pm »
Does anyone else find Covant Garden massively overrated?

Can't stand Covent Garden or the West End in general. I avoid it like the plague. I only go if a work meeting/function is being held there.

Offline lauz

• Looking for a talented pastie smasher. Apply within.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2009, 01:07:49 pm »
Stratford is great for transport links still rough as arseholes though. Kris I'd steer clear of East London, Tottenham and South East London. You thought about moving to Angel or Camden both close to Kings Cross transport wise, plenty to do and not shitholes.

agree with you about East London,

Although I doubt he can really afford to live in Angel or Camden.

Offline lauz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2009, 01:08:29 pm »

Stratford is a shit hole, with good transport links.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2009, 01:09:45 pm »
Forgot to say, The Flying Scotsman (about 2 mins from KX) is probably a cross between what you're looking for (strippers + ale).

Dirty dirty place... never been in there myself of course...  The Dun-a-Ri bar just opposite, is good for European nights if you can't get anywhere else - they show both games and there's usually a decent atmosphere. The Driver just up Caledonian Road doesn't show football anymore but is not bad for food and a quiet drink. The Fellow's good as others have mentioned. Angel Islington is 5 minutes walk away and Clerkenwell and Hoxton a short bus trip.

The whole area's changed a lot in the last few years and will continue to develop over the next few years. We used to have our office on Wharfdale Road and when we moved in there were tarts on every corner. They've pretty much all moved out - just a few dirty ones that accost you by the station. There are plenty of good places to eat and it's perfect for getting pretty much anywhere else. You're on the Piccadilly Line, Victoria, Northern, Metropolitan Circle & District, London Thameslink, Kings Cross and Euston just up the road and of course St Pancras International if you fancy a trip to France. Bus links are excellent - good tip is to learn the bus routes, it's more civilised than the tube and cheaper.

Don't commute from outside London - it's fine for old farts like me but it can be a pain in the arse and you're better off being on a tube line or bus route from Central London within the North Circular. I'd also look at sharing if I was you. There's always the chance you'll end up living with a couple of right cocks but you can always move on if it doesn't work out. My son's lived in Crouch End, Hackney (the nicer bits) and the furthest out he's lived (apart from at home) was East Finchley in a house he shared with two girls.

Use Gumtree or just keep your ear to the ground. http://www.gumtree.com/london/2547_1.html

Killer's right about London - if you're the type of person that mopes around feeling sorry for yourself then London can be alienating but if you enjoy life it's one of the great cities to live in.

By the way - are you going to be working at Kings Place by any chance?

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2009, 01:11:27 pm »
I'd always be coming out my way - Northwood, Ruislip etc. although I would entertain Ealing.

Ealing is damn pricey though.

I live in Ealing and you're both right - nice place though, far enough out that it doesn't feel like you're in London but close enough to get to town fairly easily. 35 mins to Kings Cross on the Picc. Line from South Ealing. 25 minutes to Oxford Circus, decent boozers (not aware of any brasses though!).

Agree with a few posts on here though - it's a great place to live as long as you head home every once ina  while and take a break from it. Loads to see and do and in all honesty most of my mates down here are people like me who wandered down in their 20's and ended up staying - not sure what happened to born and bred Londoners (but not complaining abou it!).

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2009, 05:04:33 pm »
agree with you about East London,

Although I doubt he can really afford to live in Angel or Camden.

How do you know what I would be earning?

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2009, 05:08:45 pm »

Are you at Kings Place?  My wife is curating an event there next year.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2009, 05:10:48 pm »
Only live in Camden if you have a high tolerance for emos and goths.

Angel / Islington would be a great headquarters.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2009, 05:11:42 pm »
You're massively arrogant aren't you!
I appreciate i'd best not say anything else since you're a main man in the clique but seriously, take your head for a shit
psn = Lents123

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2009, 05:12:51 pm »
bahahaha go ed lents lad, by the way your being watched!
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2009, 05:16:19 pm »
Was Lents already being watched before that comment, because it seems a bit harsh to me that his status should be changed for that comment when I've seen certain posters with 5,000+ posts say far worse?

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2009, 05:16:48 pm »
bahahaha go ed lents lad, by the way your being watched!
C - i'm aware of that, which is why i can't/won't say any more ;)
psn = Lents123

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2009, 05:18:32 pm »
Was Lents already being watched before that comment, because it seems a bit harsh to me that his status should be changed for that comment when I've seen certain posters with 5,000+ posts say far worse?
I was already being watched.
psn = Lents123

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2009, 05:20:37 pm »
You're massively arrogant aren't you!
I appreciate i'd best not say anything else since you're a main man in the clique but seriously, take your head for a shit

Er, I actually know Lauz and it was a bit of a joke yer divvy.

And I wasn't aware I was in a clique but I'm glad you've been following me enough to inform me babe.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 05:22:30 pm by L6 Red »

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2009, 05:22:58 pm »

And I wasn't aware I was in a clique but I'm glad you've been following me enough to inform me babe.
Following is the least of your worries Kris ;)
psn = Lents123

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2009, 05:34:10 pm »
Following is the least of your worries Kris ;)

Was that you last night? Dirty swine.

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2009, 05:34:51 pm »
Was that you last night? Dirty swine.
Call me dirty now, but don't forget what you were saying last night!
psn = Lents123

Offline lauz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2009, 05:35:31 pm »

To be fair I thought it was for when you were on your course, not when you've completed.

But why would want to spend all your money on rent?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2009, 05:36:52 pm »
To be fair I thought it was for when you were on your course, not when you've completed.

But why would want to spend all your money on rentboys?
Thats what I thought.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2009, 05:37:49 pm »

But why would want to spend all your money on rent?

Can't I live with you then?

Thats what I thought.

Less of that you, where else are you going to stay on a London away? The Hilton?

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2009, 05:40:35 pm »
Imagine the fights over the hair straighteners.

Offline lauz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2009, 05:40:46 pm »

Less of that you, where else are you going to stay on a London away? The Hilton?

Considering you're not exactly speaking to me at the moment...No, unless you're willing to pay my rent.