Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12249952 times)

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Youth and Under 23 Thread
« on: January 8, 2008, 07:29:35 pm »
We hear the names but not hear if they are coming on or not, so MODS  for those of us who do not know these lads can we get a bit of a rundown by those who do know. Some are first team squad but i am not too familar but especially i want to know about Krisztian Nemeth who i heard many good things of last summer.

- Jay Spearing
 -Ray Putterill
- Ryan Flynn
- Craig Lindfield
- Stephen Darby
- Robbie Threlfall
- Adam Hammill
- Besian Idrizaj
- Danny Guthrie
- Ronald Huth
- Martin Hansen
- Krisztian Nemeth
- Peter Gulacsi
- Paul Anderson
- Martin Kelly
- Dean Bouzanis
- Damien Plessis
- Mikel San Jose Dominguez
- Jordy Brouwer
- Ryan Crowther
- Andras Simon
- Nikolay Mihaylov
- Francisco Duran
- Lee Peltier
- Godwin Antwi
- Miki Roque

« Last Edit: September 2, 2017, 01:26:16 pm by Sarge »
Y.N.W.A.

Offline ouestlereferee

• Pourquoi! C'est monsieur Scrutin
  • Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #1 on: January 8, 2008, 07:37:33 pm »
they're already here...

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #2 on: January 8, 2008, 07:45:16 pm »
they're already here...

And i want to know if 1 or any of them could be pushing the first team squad or even a place in the team at some point like young Hobbs and Martin have.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #3 on: January 8, 2008, 07:49:46 pm »

And i want to know if 1 or any of them could be pushing the first team squad or even a place in the team at some point like young Hobbs and Martin have.

That Liverweb fella would be your best bet to answer.

That lists pretty misleading, some play for our under 18's and some play fro the Reserves, other's are out on loan.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #4 on: January 8, 2008, 07:52:34 pm »
That Liverweb fella would be your best bet to answer.

That lists pretty misleading, some play for our under 18's and some play fro the Reserves, other's are out on loan.

Exactly why i want to know who is who and doing what.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Strawberry Fields

• Pending....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 8, 2008, 08:07:53 pm »
Heres what I can say about (only) some of them (in my opinion).
Hope that helps.

- Jay Spearing
A young local CM. From what I've seen of him he could develope nicely and some compare him to a young Gerrard. If he is - he's gonna need some competitive matches to play in (maybe loan).

- Ryan Flynn
In my eyes this Scottish CM (and I think in my eyes only) he reminds me of Alonso. Good distributer of the ball even long range and been a key player in the FA Cup winning side.

- Stephen Darby
English RB. they call he "Mr. Consistency" at the reserves team.
I'm dying to see him in a first team game could be good back-up for Arbeloa once Finnan hangs his boots.

- Danny Guthrie
Another CM, on loan at Bolton. BW fans love him and he is a first team choice ever since Megson took charge. Did great in the draw vs. Bayren away and the win over ManU.

- Ronald Huth
A CB from Paraguay. He's only 18 and you can see how huge this guy is (1.89m and 89kg).

- Krisztian Nemeth
My hope for a better and more clinical side in the future.
He's a Hungarian striker, the kind that will be at the right place at the right time to score a goal.

- Paul Anderson
19 years old english RWM. Plays for the Swans on loan.
Scored 5 goals in 15 app. We might get a chance to see him play in the FA Cup against us.

- Francisco Duran
A Spanish midfielder. Signed last year but had been injured most of his time here.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #6 on: January 8, 2008, 08:10:42 pm »
Strawberry Fields thanks for that, sounds promising.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline ouestlereferee

• Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #7 on: January 8, 2008, 09:09:25 pm »

Strawberry fields has done a good job.  I haven't seen enough of Flynn to comment on his likeness to Alonso.

With Guthrie & Anderson out on loan, the closest to the first team of your list would probably be:
- Stephen Darby - captain of the reserves since Hobbs has been with the first team.  I'd expect he's good enough to cover at the moment - if we were stuck I'd be happy enough with him at RB rather than reshuffling to play someone like Gerrard/Masch/Pennant/Lucas there.  I am simply not sure yet if he'll give Arbeloa competition at RB as Finnan's career tails off over the next season but I wouldn't be surprised if he does.  19 years old.
- Spearing - his biggest problem is that he is just tiny.  Scholes would be head & shoulders above him.  He is kind of like Gerrard - box-to-box - he's quite good, but I don't know if he'll be good enough for us - put it this way, when Lucas came and played a few games with the ressies, it was kind of like watching Kaka playing for Derby (ok slight exaggeration).  The only one of our CMs I can ever see him ousting would be Sissoko but like Darby, there are other players I'd worry about relying on more than Spearing if we were in dire need.  I'd guess Spearing might be good enough for a mid-table PL side.  Could do another Guthrie and make us some significant money after a loan elsewhere.  19 years old.
- Nemeth.  Only just arrived a few months back.  I think he's actually only started 3 games with 1 sub appearance (the ressies don't play many) but he's scored 5 goals.  So quite impressive.  In terms of style of play I'd say possibly most like Van Nistelrooy - good touch, but fantastic positional sense, can shoot and score from the edge of the box too.  He's not a speed merchant.  Does he have that burst of pace to get his shot away against tougher defenders?  I don't know.  Is he as strong as RVN?  No, but he is only 19.  Some of his goals he's scored under a lot of pressure from defenders (rather than bad defending and having acres of space), so that would give me confidence.  I'm not sure how Rafa & the staff view his development, but I certainly wouldn't be unhappy if he made an sub appearance rather than El Zhar, Kuyt or Voro in the FA Cup replay - provided it didn't stunt his development as a player.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #8 on: January 8, 2008, 09:18:59 pm »
It's the Under 18 lads Rafa has brought in that also look very promising

Amoo, Eccleston and Pourie

Eccleston in particular is scoring for fun with all kinds of efforts.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #9 on: January 8, 2008, 10:11:53 pm »
Great stuff lads and honest. Nemeth, Stephen Darby and  Paul Anderson could make the first team squad. Great news.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10 on: January 8, 2008, 10:21:29 pm »
Ta.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Craigeth

• Legacy Fan
  • Ninety six Friends, we all shall miss YNWA
« Reply #11 on: January 8, 2008, 10:23:00 pm »
Pacheco?

Only seen him twice looked very impressive though

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #12 on: January 8, 2008, 10:27:51 pm »
Pacheco?

Only seen him twice looked very impressive though

What position?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 8, 2008, 10:33:23 pm »
He's a striker. Poached from Barcelona as he was ineligible for a professional contract (Spanish contract law differs from UK - you can sign a professional contract in the UK earlier than in Spain, was the same was Fabregas).

At Barcelona he was highly rated, they said he was in their top three prospects alongside Guy Asulin (a deep-lying playmaker) and Tiago (I think).

He is a pacy and tricky striker but (as shoud be expected) he is tiny and only sixteen. His goalscoring record throughout his career has been excellent, he's really one for the future.

I would predict a season in the reserves (which, supposedly, is we he agreed to sign and Rafa promised him playing time with the reserves and training in the FULL team) and then perhaps a season out on loan.

In a couple of years we should be seeing him come through, after he has physically matured and mentally adapted to life in England.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #14 on: January 8, 2008, 10:42:58 pm »
Eccleston - Extremely prolific striker for the U18's. 15 goals in 17 games says it all... In 3 of the games he scored, he played less than 120 minutes! Also an England-U17er.
Pourie - Another prolific striker in the U18's. 10 goals in 13 games.
Amoo - U18 winger who has scored 8 goals(?) this season already.
Ajdarevic - The lil midfield-maestro- Berger lookalike- who's feeding the strikers. Scores as well.
Nemeth - Krizstian Fowler. We beat Real Madrid and Ajax to him. Scored 44 goals in 36 games for MTK Hungaria and scored 4 in 2 games already for us- and looks like he'll fit in, cause 2 of thise goals were in the mini-derby. Recently scored 2 in Hungary's 3-1 win over Wales. Does not have great pace, but exceptional finishing skill and like someone said- is at the right place at the right time. Can also b compared to L'Arse's Eduardo.
Anderson - Mr-r. Anders-s-on... RW/LW currently on loan at Swansea, who has scored 8 goals in 23 games for them thusfar and has 3 assists- under a Spanish coach, mind, who wants to keep him. Benitez though, expects him to break into the 1st team.

EDIT: I'm dying to hear some info from someone who knows, about Mackay-Steven.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2008, 10:58:41 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 8, 2008, 10:43:29 pm »
Pacheco He's in Spain's under 18s a year early, Rafa's golden boy to boot.
Nemeth goalscorer simple, shoots early as well very Robbie like although nowhere near him yet.
San Jose and Huth look very promising as well.
Bruna is supposed to be vey good too.
Reserves are on against Blackburn on LFCTV on Thursday well worth waching Abblett's got a good side there.
I just hope Rafa's given enough time to bring them all through.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #16 on: January 8, 2008, 10:57:12 pm »
Eccleston - Extremely prolific striker for the U18's. 15 goals in 17 games says it all... In 3 of the games he scored, he played less than 120 minutes! Also an England-U17er.
Pourie - Another prolific striker in the U18's. 10 goals in 13 games.
Amoo - U18 winger who has scored 8 goals(?) this season already.
Ajdarevic - The lil midfield-maestro- Berger lookalike- who's feeding the strikers. Scores as well.
Nemeth - Krizstian Fowler. We beat Real Madrid and Ajax to him. Scored 44 goals in 36 games for MTK Hungaria and scored 4 in 2 games already for us. Recently scored 2 in Hungary's 3-1 win over Wales. Does not have great pace, but exceptional finishing skill and like someone said- is at the right place at the right time. Can also b compared to L'Arse's Eduardo.
Anderson - Mr-r. Anders-s-on... RW/LW currently on loan at Swansea, who has scored 8 goals in 23 games for them thusfar and has 3 assists- under a Spanish coach, mind, who wants to keep him. Benitez though, expects him to break into the 1st team.

EDIT: I'm dying to hear some info from someone who knows, about Mackay-Steven.

My word we seam to have some very good young talent coming up.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #17 on: January 8, 2008, 11:02:52 pm »
My word we seam to have some very good young talent coming up.
Yep. Exciting ain't it. ;D
Let the good times roll, baby....
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #18 on: January 8, 2008, 11:04:16 pm »
Yep. Exciting ain't it. ;D
Let the good times roll, baby....

Indeed happy days.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Scoobydoo

• Main Stander
  • TK to the Maxx
« Reply #19 on: January 8, 2008, 11:11:01 pm »
Any word on Insua getting a run in the team.  He's been linked with a loan move to spain for the rest of the season so could be one for next season. Playing LB or RB is defo a position a young player can break into the team. Different up front if your not scoring or you look lost in central midfield.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #20 on: January 8, 2008, 11:12:38 pm »
Indeed happy days.
And there are others still- Huth, Spearing, Darby, Flynn, Mackay-Steven, Bruna, Insua(of course), a young Peter Crouch(can't remmber his name), Pacheco...
Pacheco, I suspect, being the dark-horse between the lot...
« Last Edit: January 8, 2008, 11:14:21 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #21 on: January 8, 2008, 11:15:18 pm »
Any word on Insua getting a run in the team.  He's been linked with a loan move to spain for the rest of the season so could be one for next season. Playing LB or RB is defo a position a young player can break into the team. Different up front if your not scoring or you look lost in central midfield.

I thought we would have seen more of him this season.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22 on: January 8, 2008, 11:20:36 pm »
Eccleston looks like a really promising player. A player that could bust into the 1st team at an early age a player

Nemeth is a fox in the box player.Really good finisher.

Anderson  - This lad is going to go far. Really good winger. I hope after the loan at Swansea he is in the 1st squad next season.

Spearing - So reminds me of a young Gerrard. Tough tackling no rubbish. Think he used to play out wide but not 100 %. Either way this lad can make but needs to improve all round dont think he near the 1st yet.

Gutrie - Will be very disappointed if we sell this lad. Got a promising future. Looks relaxed on the ball and with Bolton and Fulham thinking about making 3 million bids. You can tell the lad is not a bit time player.

We have talent coming though but its how we develop them in to quality players/1t players. No point sending them out on loan to sell them. We have to maybe do what Arsenal do a play them in the Carling Cup and other cup competitions. No excuses for some of these players not getting in to the 1st squad over the next year or soon.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 8, 2008, 11:22:57 pm »
What about the lad that looks very like Momo(physique wise), plays in the centre too. Looks a tidy player anyway.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 8, 2008, 11:23:24 pm »
What worries me though is someone like Linfield how was raved about is no where near the 1st team and you have to wonder why.

Any thoughts on Linfield anyone.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #25 on: January 8, 2008, 11:29:57 pm »
No excuses for some of these players not getting in to the 1st squad over the next year or soon.

Good to hear, i do not hear much about these lads over here so this is great news.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #26 on: January 8, 2008, 11:31:07 pm »
What worries me though is someone like Linfield how was raved about is no where near the 1st team and you have to wonder why.

Who in your opinion will make the first 16 soon?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline ouestlereferee

• Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #27 on: January 8, 2008, 11:34:12 pm »
He's a striker. Poached from Barcelona as he was ineligible for a professional contract (Spanish contract law differs from UK - you can sign a professional contract in the UK earlier than in Spain, was the same was Fabregas).

At Barcelona he was highly rated, they said he was in their top three prospects alongside Guy Asulin (a deep-lying playmaker) and Tiago (I think).

He is a pacy and tricky striker but (as shoud be expected) he is tiny and only sixteen. His goalscoring record throughout his career has been excellent, he's really one for the future.

I would predict a season in the reserves (which, supposedly, is we he agreed to sign and Rafa promised him playing time with the reserves and training in the FULL team) and then perhaps a season out on loan.

In a couple of years we should be seeing him come through, after he has physically matured and mentally adapted to life in England.

I'd expect him sooner rather than later, to be honest.  Technically he seems good enough.  It's the physicality I'd be worried about, and once he starts playing 90 mins for the ressies (I think he's only started 1 game so far - the last ressie game - the spurs friendly - been doing Babel-esque cameos - 6 sub appearances in the last 6 ressie PL games), I think it we will see him quite soon if he's going to make it.  You see, he's a Michael Owen-type player, and generally players in that mould show themselves early if they are good enough.  Granted, Pacheco only turned 17 a couple of days back, but if he was to go on loan for next season, we'd be getting him back at 18 and a half - and only then would he even be in contention for the odd Carling Cup game and sub appearance.  If he was special in his position & style of play I'd expect to see at least something by that point....

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #28 on: January 8, 2008, 11:36:55 pm »
Age i am not worried about  i am in the mould of if your good enough then in you go.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline ouestlereferee

• Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #29 on: January 8, 2008, 11:41:44 pm »
And there are others still- Huth, Spearing, Darby, Flynn, Mackay-Steven, Bruna, Insua(of course), a young Peter Crouch(can't remmber his name), Pacheco...
Pacheco, I suspect, being the dark-horse between the lot...

Pacheco I'd say will be good enough.

I think Bruna has only made one sub appearance for the ressies so far but Madrid were seriously annoyed when we took him off them I believe - I think he was THE star of their youth setup too...  So... given the fuss about Pacheco and himself (both straight into the ressies at 16 rather than the academy) I'd be quite disappointed if at least one of them didn't turn out to be at least a reasonably good player at our level (e.g. Pennant level or better)

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #30 on: January 8, 2008, 11:41:51 pm »
Any word on how Brouwer is doing?
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline ouestlereferee

• Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #31 on: January 8, 2008, 11:45:15 pm »
Age i am not worried about  i am in the mould of if your good enough then in you go.

me too.  but i would be cautious about damaging confidence.  i'm sure owen @ 18 had a better mental state than pennant.  what you can ask one person to do is different from another.  that said, i felt owen was overdone and a huge part of the way he is now is because of him being pushed/pushing himself too hard too young....

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #32 on: January 8, 2008, 11:49:30 pm »
me too.  but i would be cautious about damaging confidence.  i'm sure owen @ 18 had a better mental state than pennant.  what you can ask one person to do is different from another.  that said, i felt owen was overdone and a huge part of the way he is now is because of him being pushed/pushing himself too hard too young....

Completely agree (whatever your name is) as only the 'special ones' come true.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline ouestlereferee

• Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #33 on: January 8, 2008, 11:51:31 pm »

We have talent coming though but its how we develop them in to quality players/1t players. No point sending them out on loan to sell them. We have to maybe do what Arsenal do a play them in the Carling Cup and other cup competitions. No excuses for some of these players not getting in to the 1st squad over the next year or soon.

i don't think it's a question of just playing them in the CC like arsenal - i wish it was but the trouble is that rafa's squad is possibly too big, so he has to use the CC just to give games to momo, voro, itandje, nowadays kuyt & crouch...  it could be argued this really is a wider issue on the effect of rotation at the club

Offline ouestlereferee

• Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #34 on: January 8, 2008, 11:53:04 pm »
What about the lad that looks very like Momo(physique wise), plays in the centre too. Looks a tidy player anyway.

Plessis.  He resembles Momo in more ways than just physique - a similar touch & passing skills.  Doesn't seem to have the same workrate/stamina tho....

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 8, 2008, 11:56:27 pm »
Who in your opinion will make the first 16 soon?

Hard to say because I feel Rafa expects these players to do a Gerrard, Carra, Fowler or Owen in that if they play the 1st team then he expects them to stay there or he will sell them. Hope I am wrong.

To answer your questions I have to look at the positions that I feel are not so strong at the minute in the 1st team and if I go by that I expect:

Insua to be involved soon at left back but that depends on how well he is settling in England. Really shocked he hasnt been in the 1st team this season as our 1st team left backs have not had the best of seasons.

Nemeth - Even though we have 4 forwards at the moment in the 1st team squad. Only 1 of them in world class. Rather play Nemeth than Kuyt at the moment. If he keeps on scoring like he is for the reserves he will be in the 1st team squad for some games for sure.

Anderson - I expect this lad to be in the 1st squad next season. We could of done with him this season when JP was injured. Good player. Can take players on and score goals. Swansea want to keep him but I would be really disappointed if we sell and that would make me lose faith in any of the players talked about on here breaking in to the 1st team.

Gutrie - even though centre mid is a strong position for us I expect momo to be sold. leaving us with Gerrard, Alonso, Lucas and hopefully Mash. I would hopefully add Gutrie to this for next season as he adds something different.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #36 on: January 8, 2008, 11:57:16 pm »
i don't think it's a question of just playing them in the CC like arsenal - i wish it was but the trouble is that rafa's squad is possibly too big, so he has to use the CC just to give games to momo, voro, itandje, nowadays kuyt & crouch...  it could be argued this really is a wider issue on the effect of rotation at the club

Interesting point that.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline ouestlereferee

• Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #37 on: January 9, 2008, 12:00:29 am »

He's just come back, hasn't he? 

Pacheco's being worked up to playing the 90mins.  The same now needs to be happening with Bruna, who's a couple of months behind Pacheco, it seems.  So this requires gametime.  Don't know if Lindfield's reappearance is conducive to this.   I'd imagine he'll go out on loan again - he's 19, so I'd say we've got more potentially to gain from Pacheco (just 17) and Bruna (16) by giving them the match minutes..
Possibly he should be loaned out again.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 9, 2008, 12:01:23 am »
I'm interested in people's evaluations of our young players and their futures. Bear in mind that our central midfield is packed full of talent. Someone has to be fucking brilliant (or a huge injury crisis) to break into that. Our players in there have plenty left in them.

Similarly at the back Sami is on his last legs but with Agger, Carra, Skrtel - someone has to be better than Hobbs to just get a look in. There maybe a slot in the squad when Sami leaves - I think that's a key area to be looking at in terms of getting a youngster as cover over the next 2 years.

It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline ouestlereferee

• Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #39 on: January 9, 2008, 12:02:32 am »
Any word on how Brouwer is doing?

yes, he's roughly as effective in the ressies as kuyt in the first team.  doesn't have the workrate tho...

maybe they can split the cost of the removals van as they both move back to holland.