Author Topic: UFC/MMA thread  (Read 1885727 times)

Offline ricflairandy

• moany grumbling in my day the club gave you gold coins grump of a moaning bastard honestly national service for Suarez and another thing...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Whoooooooooooooo!
UFC/MMA thread
« on: January 16, 2007, 01:06:18 pm »
Anyone watch any of this? ITs getting far better than boxing now, more characters and good fighters around.

The last vegas ufc ppv(67 i think) had a guy fighting from widnes. Michael Bisping. They announce him as from liverpool, but i belive he trained in widnes. Anyway, he won early in the 2nd round and was very impressive.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:23:48 pm by The 5th Benitle »
http://www.musclefood.com/AH6059
4 chicken breasts free!

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: UFC/MMA thread.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 02:56:30 pm »
It's Michael Bisping. He's from Lancashire really but trains in the Wolfslair which is in Liverpool. He won the third Ultimate Fighter series. Also it was in the first round and wasn't that impressive really as he was taken down a bit too often for my liking. Still, avoided all submissions easily enough and he was probably a bit rusty having not been able to fight for six months and could go a long way hopefully.

He's next fighting in UFC 70 which is going to be in the M.E.N. Not sure when tickets are out but I'll defo be going. Only the second ever time the UFC has come to England.

Offline ricflairandy

• moany grumbling in my day the club gave you gold coins grump of a moaning bastard honestly national service for Suarez and another thing...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Whoooooooooooooo!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 03:26:45 pm »
Im liking his lack of submission moves myself. I like the way he uses strikes instead as submission style fighters are a little too boreing for me. Saying that, if he was fighting a better opponent, i agree that he would have struggled the amount of times he left himself open.

And wolfslair is actually in widnes. I know a few guys who train there.
4 chicken breasts free!

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 03:30:56 pm »
Yeah so do I but I mean during the fight with Schafer he was taken down a bit too often. He avoided all Schafer's submission attempts though so it wasn't too bad. It probably just looked worse as it was followed on later by Liddell who has the best takedown defence in UFC probably. Bisping is an exciting fighter though. Hopefully he'll be as good as people think he could be.

Offline ricflairandy

• Legacy Fan
  • Whoooooooooooooo!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 12:11:38 am »
Read on a forum somwhere hes headlining ufc 70. Which is a little bit of a dissapointment, as i was hoping for liddel or ortiz , unless hes fighting one of them  :|
4 chicken breasts free!

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 09:30:28 am »
It's at the M.E.N. though so he may 'headline' it (be on posters and so on) but I'm sure there'll be other more established fighters on the card. Someone like Anderson Silva would be great, once he's disposed of Lutter in UFC 67. Cro Cop would be amazing too but again he's fighting in UFC 67 so not sure.

And from end of the scale to the other, I wonder if Ross Pointon will be on it.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 12:55:06 pm »
Anyone watch any of this? ITs getting far better than boxing now,

;D Dont agree there like, i watch it now and then though, i cant be arsed watching people roll around the floor really though, see that on weekends down the town. But i do appriecate the skill etc involved in it, just not for me.
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline ricflairandy

• Legacy Fan
  • Whoooooooooooooo!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 11:18:08 pm »
Try k1, or Pride. Less "rolling around on the floor".
4 chicken breasts free!

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #8 on: February 5, 2007, 12:00:11 am »
Just watched UFC 67.
Mirko Cro Cop looks like a Terminator. Do you think we could Rafa to sign him as our new centre half. Fuck me, everyone would be too scared to go anywhere near him.
Anderson Silva just got taken down a few times but the guy was too weak to do anything and ended up tapping out.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #9 on: February 5, 2007, 07:34:15 am »
Anyone watch any of this? ITs getting far better than boxing now

Load of shite.

Two different sports and each brilliant in their own right.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 5, 2007, 03:43:00 pm »
Just watched UFC 67.
Mirko Cro Cop looks like a Terminator. Do you think we could Rafa to sign him as our new centre half. Fuck me, everyone would be too scared to go anywhere near him.
Anderson Silva just got taken down a few times but the guy was too weak to do anything and ended up tapping out.

Pretty poor event on the whole.

Eddie Sanchez spent the whole fight literally running away from Cro Cop although I suppose I can't blame him for that but then why take the fight. The Cote fight was one of the worst I've ever seen and I didn't even think too much of Rampage's.

The best fight of the night was Griffin-Edgar.

Oh and Cro Cop is coming to England for UFC 70 in a few months.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2007, 03:45:04 pm by realtarragona »

Online [streety]

• Craig Davis killed the thread
  • Legacy Fan
    • Coming Soon...
« Reply #11 on: February 5, 2007, 04:20:17 pm »
I have got to get tickets. Hopefully Ortiz will fight over here and I get a seat next to Jenna ^_^

Offline ricflairandy

• Legacy Fan
  • Whoooooooooooooo!
« Reply #12 on: February 5, 2007, 09:37:30 pm »
Ive heard that ortiz is on the card for ufc70. But there doesnt seem to be any concrete info yet.
4 chicken breasts free!

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2007, 09:34:26 pm »
UFC 70, April 21st...

-Mirko Cro Cop (#2 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. TBA
-Tito Ortiz (#8 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. TBA (possibly Forrest Griffin)
-Forrest Griffin vs. TBA (possibly Tito Ortiz)
-Michael Bisping vs. TBA
-Dennis Siver vs. TBA
-David Lee vs. TBA
-Cheick Kongo vs. TBA
-Abdul Mohamed vs. TBA
-Jess Liaudin vs. TBA
-Elvis Sinosic vs. TBA

That's from MMA weekly who are normally pretty accurate.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 7, 2007, 08:13:35 am »
Load of shite.

Two different sports and each brilliant in their own right.

Much more skill involved in MMA, way more enjoyable also IMO..Hasn't been a decent boxing fight in a long time, not one decent heavyweight either..

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 7, 2007, 03:07:59 pm »
Much more skill involved in MMA, way more enjoyable also IMO..Hasn't been a decent boxing fight in a long time, not one decent heavyweight either..

What the fuck have you been watching like? Did you not See Pac Man Vs Morales? A Very very decent fight. The heavyweight division has never been the be all and end all, most heavyweights rely far too much on the big punch, look in the lower weights in boxing and you see far better fighters and in my opinion far better fighters.

Online [streety]

• Legacy Fan
    • Coming Soon...
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 09:20:11 pm »
Pre Sale tickets on sale now HERE
Going to give it a miss I think and watch it on Bravo.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 09:20:53 am »
Just bought mine.

You purchased 2 tickets to:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
UFC 70
M.E.N. Arena Manchester, Manchester, UK
Sat 21 Apr 2007, 18:15

Seat location: section BL 110, row V, seats 9-10
Total Charge: £220.00

Bit expensive like but ah well...

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 10:46:35 am »

What a load of shite.

That's like saying there is more skill in football than Rugby. Void argument.

The sports aren't comparable. One skill set is different to the other. A football player couldn't play Rugby and Vice Versa. Put Chuck Lidell in a boxing ring with proper rules against a skilled Boxer and he is getting schooled. Same if Mayweather was to do UFC. 

And if there hasn't been a decent boxing fight in a long time, my suggestion is you don't follow the sport cos I could name ten off the top of my head  ;)

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 11:52:20 am »
Spot on that like mate.

I read an interesting article as well the other day. Here it is

MIXED MARTIAL ARTS’
DIRTY LITTLE SECRET

By William Dettloff

The sense is pervasive in boxing that mixed martial arts (MMA) will have some effect on the game. Depending probably on your temperament, you expect that effect to be either a siphoning of boxing’s audience, or, in the best case, the two will complement one another.

Much has been written about the demographics the two sports pull. Boxing’s audience is mostly graying, the audience for MMA considerably younger.

It stands to reason that the fans drawn in the largest numbers (in America at least) to MMA are those whose adolescence coincided with the advent of deliciously violent and realistic video games. Think Mortal Combat, which enabled players to, somewhat controversially at the time, reach into an opponent’s chest and pull out his heart.

The same generation (and its successor) has demonstrated a similar affinity for on-line videos of streetfights and such that one can find in various places all over the Internet. It’s the same audience in part that has made the guys from Jackass famous.

I’m not here to disparage that audience; many within it are boxing fans too. But those who prefer MMA to boxing, I believe, are drawn to the explosive brutality of the former over the somewhat softer, more controlled violence found in the latter. Indeed, one reader recently described MMA in an e-mail as “boxing on steroids.”

Here’s the dirty little secret: MMA in America is not more violent than boxing. It’s not more brutal. It’s not even close. The brutality that seems so compelling in MMA is largely an illusion.

I’m not saying it’s fake or scripted the way professional wrestling is. I’m saying that, compared to boxing, it’s almost benign. In terms of the damage it inflicts on its fighters, comparatively, it’s 18 holes on a May afternoon—wearing sun block.

It’s not possible, you say? Where did I ever hear such nonsense? From an unlikely source: people in the MMA industry.

In order to make the sport more palatable and less overtly “brutal” to state regulators and an initially resistant American commercial audience, its organizers have had to come clean about some of its upsides, which are counterintuitive: concussions are relatively rare. Deaths are unheard of. The option the fighters have of “tapping out”—without shame—prevents the breaking of bone, the tearing of muscle.

I’m not making this up. You can find it anywhere.

If a guy in an MMA match gets punched on the head 20 times it’s a lot. (And punches that get delivered while one guy is on his back are deceptive; typically they’re thrown completely without leverage.) A boxer in a fast-paced fight can get hit 20 or 30 times in a round. You do the math.

As far as I can tell, the appeal of MMA fights is they resemble a kind of streetfight. And that makes them seem less regulated, more dangerous than boxing matches. I get that. But it’s an illusion and the people that run the sport can’t disagree with.

I’m not sure that boxing’s greater brutality is something to crow about. It is what it is.

Of course, you can watch whichever one you want. Or you can watch both. We all should just be clear on what it is we’re watching.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 11:58:12 am »
I think that article is spot on on some points. It just looks like a street fight to me. I have no desire to see something like that, i see that every weekend im at work in the Bigg Market. Its ugly to me.  Of course theres skill involved in it, some of the hardest blokes ive met are great street fighters, but put them in the boxing ring, or even a bareknuckle boxing fight, they arent as good and it works both ways, put a boxer in a street fight, if he lands you one, you will feel it to say the least, but get him on the floor hes fucked.

The sitting ontop of someone and pounding their head, that doesnt appeal to me like, but the arm consitutes (spelling) only about 20 percent of the punching power, so i really cant see that hurting very much.

I respect the grappling aspects of it, ive studied many martial arts myself. Some of the technique they use is brilliant.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 12:39:18 pm »
Don't agree with that article at all. They make it sound like having no recorded deaths in MMA a bad thing! It's not a street fight whatsoever, I prefer it to boxing as I like the all round skills that are required. There are plenty of different ways a fight is ended and I think it's more exciting with better knock outs etc. If you look individually at boxing, kickboxing, ju-jitsu and wrestling, each on their own require a large amount of skill. Put them together, and people simply refer to it as a 'sort of street fighting'. I don't see how that works whatsoever. Either way, I don't know why people in boxing seem to need to have a go at MMA, and vice versa. Even watching the boxing last Friday, after one of the earlier matches (I forget which) the commentator felt the need to have a go at 'this cage fighting that's going on these days'. What's the point in that? Trivialising it just a bit for starters. The only reason I can think of is that boxing people feel threatened and looking at MMA's increasing rise at the moment, maybe rightly so.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 01:10:08 pm »
Maybe your right, I know a lot of people who do feel threatened by the rise of this stuff, but i also feel that MMA people feel the need to rubbish boxing as well? I mean look at the post that started this thread for a start. In the first line the guy says Its getting better than boxing now, theres no need to put boxing down either

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 01:42:24 pm »
Agreed, works both ways as I said before. Although they are in competition with each other to an extent, they should both be able to co-exist comfortably enough. MMA is my preferred sport but I do enjoy watching boxing (not so much the heavyweight division at the moment). No reason why it has be one or the other. And if boxing people do feel threatened, it's up to the promoters to keep putting on exciting fights then isn't it.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 02:09:59 pm »
Two different sports.

I enjoy both. End of.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2007, 02:32:12 pm »
The best pound for pound fighter is Fedor Emelianenko who's a heavyweight but he fights in Japan for PRIDE that's probably why less people have heard of him. He has a 25-1 record, has beaten pretty much all of his challengers in his division (the heavyweights in PRIDE are superior to UFC as well) and even his one loss came via a cut. Probably the most talented MMA fighter there's ever been.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 02:35:51 pm »
Ian Freeman is a good mate of mine like, Ive seen a couple of his fights on dvd, i used to work on the doors with him. Really nice fella, seen him get knocked out by a black guy on one of them, and i seen him punch fuck out of some guy called Fir a while back? I think it was Fir im not sure.

Offline kitster

• RAWK Graphic Guru
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @kitsterart
    • Kitster Art
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2007, 02:43:23 pm »
Agree that I don't see why one or the other needs to be put down as they both have their own qualities.  Personally, MMA bores me when the fighters aren't standing up, but that's not to say I don't appreciate that they need to be skilled in all the other disciplines that make up the sport.  That's just my preference.

Just out of interest, since I don't follow it that closely, who is considered the best pound for pound fighter in the UFC?  The only fighters I really know of are Chuck Liddell , Randy Couture, Royce Gracie (wasn't he specialised in just jujitsu?) and Matt Hughes.  Just interested to see what names appear, since you always hear that accolade thrown about in boxing.  Any other legends that those who only occasionally watch it may not know of?  :wave
Anderson Silva looks the part now in Middleweight  - although his last fight wasnt great. George St Pierre i think will take some beating in his Division.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2007, 02:46:57 pm »
Cool... cheers for that.  Anyone in the UFC that could give him a good fight?

A month ago I'd have said no. But Cro Cop (probable #2 Heavyweight in the world, brilliant striker) has just signed up to the UFC so he'd give him a fight. He would probably lose though. They fought about 18 months ago and Fedor won a UD convincingly.

Mind you, you wouldn't have thought so looking at his face afterwards.

Fedor looks unbeatable at times. He's been slammed on his neck, got up and won the fight shortly after. Link here. Every time I see that clip I wonder how he didn't break his neck, never mind go on to win shortly after.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 02:53:26 pm by realtarragona »

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2007, 02:50:19 pm »

This is maybe the closest he's come to getting knocked out but again, he won less than a minute later.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2007, 03:47:41 pm »
Jesus christ, how the hell did he not break his neck there? That looked very very nasty.

Online [streety]

• Legacy Fan
    • Coming Soon...
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2007, 04:08:07 pm »
Never seen Fedor or Cro Cop fight before but they both look superhuman. I will have to find Cro Cop's fight in UFC 67.

-EDIT-
Mirko stalked him round the ring and looked a class above Sanchez. Sanchez's hands were so slow...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 04:15:27 pm by [streety] »

Offline kitster

• RAWK Graphic Guru
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @kitsterart
    • Kitster Art
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2007, 04:10:33 pm »
Never seen Fedor or Cro Cop fight before but they both look superhuman. I will have to find Cro Cop's fight in UFC 67.
Not really worth it to be honest - is a poor pairing.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2007, 05:29:52 pm »
Cro Cop highlight here.

Looking forward to seeing him live in April, even though it probably won't last long.

Offline Roberts LFC

• Has left the building
  • Kopite
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2007, 07:44:52 pm »
Its meant to be on in Manchester soon isnt it? Does anyone know when the Tickets go on sale?
I should imagine they will have Bisping and Pointon fighting on that card although I dont think Pointon is UFC calibre to be honest

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2007, 08:02:50 pm »
Already on sale, got mine this morning.

Check ticketmaster. Not sure how many are left.

And yeah Bisping is fighting Sinosic. I don't think Pointing is though. Not that it's a huge loss.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2007, 01:01:50 pm »
Anyone see Pride 33?

One of the best MMA events you'll ever see probably. UFC are lagging behind if their last show was anything to go by. And the one this weekend doesn't look much better.

Pride's production and presentation is miles ahead and that's before you get to the matches.

Diaz and Gomi was the fight of the night here. All the rest are on youtube as well...

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2007, 01:15:51 pm »
From what I saw of Diaz in the UFC he wasn't up too much.
Don't know that much about Pride or K1 but I do watch UFC and I like it. There are some crazy fighters in the UFC and I wouldn't like to meet them down a dark alley.

It's what you like that counts....
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Roberts LFC

• Has left the building
  • Kopite
« Reply #38 on: March 2, 2007, 10:27:53 am »
Well I hear Mirko Cro Cop, Michael Bisping and Forrest Griffin will all be fighting on the Manchester Event

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 5, 2007, 10:53:12 am »
Anyone watch that last night? Amazing

Spoiler
Randy Couture fucking schooled tim Sylvia, won every single round. Knocked him on his arse with his first punch. Sylvia didn't have an answer for any of it. Went on for 25 minutes. Was absolutely brilliant. If you ever need a bit of motivation in your life watch that fight. He is 43 years of age for fucks sake!
[close]