Author Topic: The Wire for Newbies and Those Still Watching... No spoilers  (Read 355856 times)

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Wire for Newbies and Those Still Watching... No spoilers
« on: September 13, 2006, 06:51:46 am »
Been watching the first series of this: excellent cops 'n robbers sort of thing set in Baltimore. Gives pretty much equal time to the coppers and the robbers, and is sort of realistic in a 1980's type of way, even though its set in the late 90's.

I recommend.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2009, 01:02:03 pm by Alan_F »
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Wire
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 01:29:49 pm »
Was going to start a new thread about this because Series 4 has just started.

The opening scene of S4E1, where the gang kid goes into a DIY shop and starts a conversation with the sales guy about nail guns is utter genius. It just shows the sheer quality of the script and the talent of the shows' writers.

I normally get the episodes off Bittorrent and then hook my PC up to the TV.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 02:02:11 pm »

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 02:30:53 pm »
Was going to start a new thread about this because Series 4 has just started.

The opening scene of S4E1, where the gang kid goes into a DIY shop and starts a conversation with the sales guy about nail guns is utter genius. It just shows the sheer quality of the script and the talent of the shows' writers.

I normally get the episodes off Bittorrent and then hook my PC up to the TV.

Certainly superior to any cop show I've seen: as I said the technology used in it is dated by some years, but it's still super TV.

Offline Izzy Bully*****

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 05:03:14 pm »
yeah,ive got both season 1 and 2 on dvd,one of the best programmes on tele,with the shield,24 and the sopranos.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 11:25:19 am »
Finished Series 3: thought the first series was the best, but the other two were exceptional as well. Can't really recommend it highly enough; best cop thing I've seen since Blue Murder (Australian mini-series).
« Last Edit: July 2, 2008, 05:10:11 am by Dread Breath »

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 3, 2006, 06:14:28 pm »
Gutted!!!! Series 5 is going to be last :(

http://www.slantmagazine.com/tv/tv_review.asp?ID=31

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 08:13:24 pm »
Just got into this, after seeing charlie brooker rave about it. And its easily the best programme on TV, better i think even than the Soprano's
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 08:15:04 pm »
Just got into this, after seeing charlie brooker rave about it. And its easily the best programme on TV, better i think even than the Soprano's
I'd agree with that, I love the way it builds up throughout the series and the characters are fantastic.

Offline Comic Book Guy

• Legacy Fan
  • In Cyber Space, Nobody Can See Your Man Breasts
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 09:34:21 pm »
I've never seen it but have heard good things. A girl at work bums it

It's starting from the beginning on Monday night on FX at 10pm. I've set the Sky+ for it.
You should make like my pants... and split

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 09:48:34 pm »
And its easily the best programme on TV, better i think even than the Soprano's
As Omar would say, "True dat!"

Has series 4 aired over there in the UK yet?  Absolutely fantastic (and heartbreaking as it focuses on "the next generation") - the best one yet, and that's saying a hell of a lot.  Only brief teasers have been shown re the final series - I'm sure hoping that it airs this fall as there will be a huge gap in HBO's schedule otherwise!!  And yes, it will be sorely missed when it's over. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 09:52:35 pm by ConnieLFC »

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #11 on: December 2, 2007, 06:49:57 pm »
The fifth- and final- series premieres in the US on 6th Jan.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #12 on: December 2, 2007, 11:35:05 pm »
fucking arse bandit, first the soprano's then this,

i'll have to start reading books.
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 1, 2008, 12:49:02 pm »
Series 5 starts next Sunday; last series. 10 episodes unlike the previous runs that had 12/13.

Best thing on TV.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 1, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »
The fifth- and final- series premieres in the US on 6th Jan.

You got here a month earlier than I did.   :)

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #15 on: January 1, 2008, 03:28:30 pm »
Rented series 1 last night, hope to get series 2 done before they finish it on fx and then join in when they start series 3 in 3 weeks, if i like the first series that is.
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 6, 2008, 08:12:53 pm »
First ep of series 5 has been leaked, only a day early but those of us who can't wait any longer are very pleased :)

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #17 on: January 6, 2008, 08:16:52 pm »
First ep of series 5 has been leaked, only a day early but those of us who can't wait any longer are very pleased :)

Check your PMs in a sec.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 6, 2008, 10:49:09 pm »
Got a link please?

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 6, 2008, 11:18:55 pm »

Think it has been broadcast in the States since last Monday, according to a forum I post on elsewhere....apparently you can get it 'on demand' over there if you are prepared to shell out the sheckels. Maybe we can expect the Wire's episodes early every week from now on?

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 7, 2008, 02:20:39 am »
Numerous episodes appear to have leaked.....just be careful as there are fakes about as well.

Series 4 leaked before it was broadcast as well I recall.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #21 on: January 7, 2008, 11:43:02 am »
Got a link please?

I saw links to the first 5 episodes last night, but I'm in work now so can't give any links out. The swines frown on in-work torrenting  :P

Pirate Bay might have some... you never know  ;)

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 7, 2008, 12:39:17 pm »
Yeah ta already found episodes 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 but can't find 3 and 4 ...

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 7, 2008, 12:51:42 pm »
Yeah ta already found episodes 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 but can't find 3 and 4 ...

Got the same problem myself, but I've noticed quality torrents "disappearing" overnight for some bizarre reason probably to do with companies protecting their copyright or something. Wouldn't surprise if 3 and 4 were up for a while before being pulled and that looks why Stagger got himself the missing ones.

By the way, haven't watched any of them as yet. Prefer to have the lot to watch in a season just so I can find out what happens "next week" ASAP. The Wire is one of those series where you can't wait to find out what happens next. 

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 8, 2008, 02:42:08 am »
By the way, haven't watched any of them as yet. Prefer to have the lot to watch in a season just so I can find out what happens "next week" ASAP. The Wire is one of those series where you can't wait to find out what happens next. 

Yeah I prefer that but couldn't wait so watched the first two. Now I really want to carry on but still can't find 3 and 4.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2008, 02:50:26 am by realtarragona »

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 8, 2008, 12:53:42 pm »
Once again, The Wire taps into genius

By TIM GOODMAN
San Francisco Chronicle
TOOLS
Email

If you've finally decided to see what the fuss is all about with The Wire, congratulations, but you need to go back to the start to enjoy this landmark series to its fullest. Rent or buy the seasons.

-TIM GOODMAN
THE WIRE

8 p.m. Sundays, HBO

David Simon, creator of The Wire, is not only a television veteran but also a former journalist who knows jaded from bitter and, one might guess from the downbeat story lines in his achingly realistic drama, a guy who understands the human condition.

No doubt, then, a small part of him must be relishing — nay, enduring — what amounts to more cold truth about life. And especially life in the entertainment business. First, his show — which will go down as arguably the best drama in the history of television — is getting more attention than it ever has. The Wire — either because people finally started to listen to a rising chorus of critics or because The Sopranos is retired or because pop-culture buzz has no discernible reason to it — is the show everybody's talking about right now.

But it doesn't matter.

Season 5 is the culmination of brilliant, nuanced storytelling, exceptional acting and a fearlessness from Simon and his writers from the get-go in telling novelistic stories on television without pandering.

As for this grand finale, The Wire doesn't disappoint (has it ever?). Simon returns to his familiar themes of institutional incompetence, soul-crushing bureaucracy, retrograde human behavior and the perseverance it takes to survive and the sadness that comes when you can't.

All the regulars who weren't either killed off or cashiered at the end of Season 4 are back, more desperate than ever. For all the danger that exists in The Wire — drug dealers, rogue cops, kids who kill for thrills, ignorance, the brutality of capitalism — it's always the desperation of failed systems that drives people toward doom.

Simon's next big theme — there's a new one every season folded into the mix — is the media. On the surface, the travails of the Baltimore Sun — Simon's old newspaper that he fictionalizes in The Wire — mirrors the decline of the American newspaper business. Every paper — from the New York Times to the Chronicle — can see its issues reflected at the Sun: declining ad revenue, cutbacks and buyouts, ethical lapses, worries about relevance, etc.

But in The Wire, the Sun is suffering the same fate as the Baltimore Police Department, the mayor's office, the school system and those who support the infrastructure of the city — the people are being asked to do more with less, and the results aren't pretty.

But using the media as the big-picture idea in Season 5 also serves a greater good for the writers. The Wire needs some kind of closure. Simon and his gang of novelists and former journalists have been illustrating the dire failings of Baltimore (and American society) for some time now, so it's fitting to see how that story can be missed even by the very people paid to tell it.

The failure of the media to fully report on the systematic decline — a virtual death — of the city it covers is a natural to both Simon and The Wire. He has issues with the industry of journalism and everything goes to hell in The Wire.

In many ways, this timely new story line and the resolution of others in the series — told with both brutal realism and compassion — combine to make it almost too easy for critics to continue the lovefest. What's not to like? Many newspapers are poisoned by the exact issues — and the types of people — depicted in The Wire. Why should cops and lawyers and doctors get all the microscopic attention to their fields and the moralistic soul-searching that comes with it? Journalists and journalism are ripe for exploration and vivisection.

And the inevitable coming together of antagonists, protagonists, the loved, the hated, the innocent and the venal as story lines converge on The Wire is almost too sublime an enjoyment to adequately describe.

No point in getting into spoilers this late in the game. Let's just say you'll see a lot of faces from all the seasons. And yes: "Omar back." But there is a quibble to be made regarding Detective McNulty (Dominic West), the ostensible main character and through-line of The Wire. He makes a decision — admittedly fueled by desperation and a sense of outrage — that doesn't ring entirely true. It's not even that the action is out of McNulty's realm of possibility, especially now that he's started drinking again. And, in fairness, it meshes intriguingly and cleverly with a story line at the Sun. But it's a bold move that could raise some eyebrows among longtime, loyal fans. And let's face it — the point has been made here that the audience is mostly longtime, loyal fans.

That said, there are still three more episodes (HBO sent seven of the 10 in advance) that haven't been seen, so there's no telling how it will wrap. And truthfully, there's so much credibility on all levels of The Wire that even the sudden appearance of Jack Bauer from 24 couldn't mess it up.

It's been a pleasure to witness the genius of The Wire all these years. It's inconceivable that anyone would ever be able to make a better cop drama.

And in the end, there will likely be a lot of unhappiness, dead bodies, same-as-it-ever-was institutional failure, lack of responsibility and the triumph of self-interest over the greater good. Not exactly a Hallmark card, but one hell of an artistic achievement.

Season 1: The Wire is an ensemble series, but we first meet the person who is essentially our guide through the brutal streets of Baltimore, Md., Detective James McNulty (Dominic West). Since he's ``good po-lice'' as they say in the series, he's spending a little extra time on getting more support to bring down Avon Barksdale (Wood Harris) and Stringer Bell (Idris Elba), the virtually unknown but powerful drug dealers running West Baltimore. A wiretap, hence the title, is used in an effort to bring down the Barksdale gang.

Season 2: Simon decides to shift the focus of the series from the drug war in America to, of all things: ``the decline of the working class in American cities, focusing on the Baltimore waterfront and its unions.'' While the drug angle becomes a ``B'' story line, we get a magnificent look at a different murder (well, actually lots of them) and the crumbling of a city.

Season 3: The drug war is back as the main story line this season, but with a couple of twists. First, there's a new player in West Baltimore, Marlo Stanfield (Jamie Hector), a laconic, new-school drug lord who's ruthlessly efficient. Simon's bigger theme here is politics and how it fails its citizens.

Season 4: Season 4 focused on the failure of the public school system and how the youngest West Baltimore children became ``corner kids'' - slinging drugs - faster than anyone in the schools (or the police department or outreach programs or families) could save them.

Season 5: The bigger theme in this season is ``the media's role in addressing - or failing to address - the political, economic and social realities depicted over the course of the series.''

Offline Dam

• Legacy Fan
  • Rush scored 1, Rush scored 2,...
« Reply #26 on: January 8, 2008, 03:47:30 pm »
I bought the first series ages ago after reading about it in the Guardian. Stopped watching it after 2 episodes though as couldn't understand a lot of what they were saying due to the heavy use of ghetto, and police, slang. I'll have to give it another go at some point though due to the increasingly good reviews everyone seems to give it

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 8, 2008, 05:04:50 pm »
if I provide someone with access to a storage gmail account could they please upload episodes 2-7 of the new series for me?  :-[
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 12:57:42 pm »
if I provide someone with access to a storage gmail account could they please upload episodes 2-7 of the new series for me?  :-[

You don't have access to torrents? I'd help but the internet in Australia is only base level ADSL in many areas. My upload speeds are pretty bad and the d/l's are only just bearable.

Have to say, without giving any spoilers away, and to quote Marlo, that Omar does "some Spiderman shit right there."  I take it the incident depicted actually happened at one stage in Baltimore.

Offline Andy2006

• Legacy Fan
  • Telephone!
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 01:04:27 pm »
I'm going to start watching this sounds brilliant

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 01:36:58 pm »
I'm going to start watching this sounds brilliant

It is indeed: best TV series I've ever seen....but some people are put off because it is so unlike normal TV. In other words, just doesn't follow the TV formula.....if that holds you back in the first few episodes in the first series (and that is the way you should watch this, from the get-go) push through that and you will be well rewarded. 

I think I said on this thread I wasn't going to watch the 5th series until I had the lot of them, but I just couldn't help my self!

By the way I think this final season is about bullshit, which is a fine subject for the uber talented writers and actors of this superlative show because they can portray how bullshit clouds everything in a very effective manner. I'm only up to ep 6 but that is the theme I'm picking up so far.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 01:39:35 pm »
Small remark: unlike other HBO-shows (Sopranos, SFU, Deadwood) the opening credits don't really catch the eye; it's all a bit unrecognizable.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 03:22:52 pm »
Small remark: unlike other HBO-shows (Sopranos, SFU, Deadwood) the opening credits don't really catch the eye; it's all a bit unrecognizable.
Couldn't possibly disagree more!!

The juxtaposition of the various Baltimore segments (the dealers, the cops, the kids, the politicians and now the pressroom) sets the theme of show perfectly, and the scenes are usually previews of what you'll see at some point during the series.  The credits for the current series (5) have also incorporated a few scenes from series 1-4, which I thought was a nice touch.

And of course, the best part of all has been each of the 5 interpretations of Tom Waits' "Way Down In The Hole".   Every performance has been actually very in sync with the general tone/flavor of that particular series.    Not overly thrilled with the latest one done by Steve Earle (though it's growing on me) - but as he's a character on the show, I'll give him a pass.  The monotone delivery may in fact be intentional, to tie-in to the "same ol' same ol'"-ness of life in a faded city.  My $.02 anyway - but certain the 4 prior versions have absolutely been spot on with what plays out over those particular 12/13 episodes.

Great great show.  Just ordered this as a matter of fact as it's certain to be good.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »
Couldn't possibly disagree more!!

The juxtaposition of the various Baltimore segments (the dealers, the cops, the kids, the politicians and now the pressroom) sets the theme of show perfectly, and the scenes are usually previews of what you'll see at some point during the series.  The credits for the current series (5) have also incorporated a few scenes from series 1-4, which I thought was a nice touch.

And of course, the best part of all has been each of the 5 interpretations of Tom Waits' "Way Down In The Hole".   Every performance has been actually very in sync with the general tone/flavor of that particular series.    Not overly thrilled with the latest one done by Steve Earle (though it's growing on me) - but as he's a character on the show, I'll give him a pass.  The monotone delivery may in fact be intentional, to tie-in to the "same ol' same ol'"-ness of life in a faded city.  My $.02 anyway - but certain the 4 prior versions have absolutely been spot on with what plays out over those particular 12/13 episodes.

Great great show.  Just ordered this as a matter of fact as it's certain to be good.

I take it you're a bigger fan than me obviously. :P Although it needs to grow on me, this show. And I've only seen season 1 & 2.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 04:26:38 pm »
Just watched episode 3. Top class as usual.

Offline Rorus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 06:14:58 pm »
The Wire is peerless. None of the (very entertaining, better than most TV in fact) HBO output comes close.

On the surface it's a very well scripted treatise on the mechanics of the war on drugs and law enforcement. Some cliched characterisations but mostly an accurate commentary on the futility of the 'war'.

But it doesn't stop at such playful allegory. The show in it's entirety is about modern USA with 'Ballamore' as microcosm. Series 1 is the War on Drugs. Series 2, the atrophy of American industry (with some global drugs/people trafficking thrown in). Series 3 is the War on Terror (with the controlled demolition of a few superfluous towers to symbolically kick the whole thing off). Series 4 is the public education system. Series 5, ostensibly, the media.

I have many favorite scenes, Omar in court, McNulty drink driving into a wall, (Most of season 2 to be fair).
String, Avon, Bunk, Omar, the list goes on. It would be a great show, on a par with the likes of the Sopranos, Deadwood etc.. if it was just about the characters and their interaction. It's the architecture of all of it's collective elements that set it above anything on TV (possibly cinema).

If in doubt, watch it episode after episode till you've seen it all. Then watch it again to make sure!

"Give evil nothing to oppose, and it will disappear by itself" Tao Teh King

Offline mbiggz

• Boys Pen
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2008, 12:38:06 pm »
I have episodes 1-7 of season 5 but im missing episode 4 - does anyone have a link to this at all?
Im proper doin my mates heads in at the moment as its all i talk about! More fool them for not watching it tho.

Offline Rorus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2008, 01:48:27 pm »
I have episodes 1-7 of season 5 but im missing episode 4 - does anyone have a link to this at all?
Im proper doin my mates heads in at the moment as its all i talk about! More fool them for not watching it tho.

4'll show on monday coming, in the states so it might be available after that. 
"Give evil nothing to oppose, and it will disappear by itself" Tao Teh King

Offline mbiggz

• Boys Pen
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2008, 05:04:14 pm »

Cheers for that!
Dunno if i'll be able to wait all weekend haha

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2008, 05:40:38 pm »

Unfortunately, 3 is the next ep to air on the 20th, so 4 might pop up on a pre-air if we're lucky sometime next week.