Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3457626 times)

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Re: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE
« Reply #52000 on: March 8, 2021, 04:49:05 pm »
Meanwhile in Shitkicker, Idaho...

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/mZ1FMaWMglQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/mZ1FMaWMglQ</a>

Kinda makes you want the Covid Death Fairy to pay them all a visit. In the name of cleansing the gene pool of fucking c*nts like.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2021, 04:52:07 pm by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52001 on: March 8, 2021, 04:56:10 pm »

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/mZ1FMaWMglQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/mZ1FMaWMglQ</a>

Kinda makes you want the Covid Death Fairy to pay them all a visit. In the name of cleansing the gene pool of fucking c*nts like.

Biden Sucks? Covid sucks a lot more you fucking inbreds.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52002 on: March 8, 2021, 05:29:30 pm »
Booked my vaccine online for the 27th.  Then had a call this afternoon asking me to go in the morning for my jab.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52003 on: March 8, 2021, 05:36:37 pm »
Booked my vaccine online for the 27th.  Then had a call this afternoon asking me to go in the morning for my jab.

Great news
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52004 on: March 8, 2021, 05:56:51 pm »

Worst thing about it is that there's, what - three generations between them there? They're teaching kids to be anti-science. You know - the generation you certainly don't want to be doing that with, because later down the line, when another, more serious, pandemic hits, they'll all be running about thinking its fake again, infecting people who don't deserve it, and killing them and themselves. It's a real shame Covid can't identify low IQ and target it specifically.

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52005 on: March 8, 2021, 06:41:21 pm »
Why do you think that, dj ? What would be the reason for doing so ?
Situation at the time and what we've learned so far might make starting with younger age groups a more valuable use of time.

Where we found ourselves end of December meant that vaccinating the elderly first was the obvious way to go - we were in the middle of already high infection rates (with associated mortality already baked in), data from the trials looked great for preventing severe disease/mortality but lacked any data on preventing transmission.

The situation in say September 2021 might be very different. We may have fairly low transmission in comparison, perhaps expecting it to begin to rise as we head into winter. We know from the last year that any rise will begin in the younger age groups (20-50 year olds), before spilling over into the older groups later on. The ultimate aim with a booster vaccine will still be to protect those most at risk of severe disease but the method to do it might be different. If the data on preventing transmission pans out then it might make more sense to nip any rise in transmission amongst the younger more socially active age groups before it even begins, protecting the elderly from picking it up in the first place.

It would all depend on the situation really and what the predicted situation might be for 2-3 months after the proposed start of this vaccination. Also depends on vaccine supply. Getting the trickle we had in Dec/Jan means it has to go to the oldest groups, but if you were to get 20-30 million in the space of a month then the argument for doing the younger groups first starts to be an option.

We've kind of already broken the link between transmission rates and mortality rates with this first round of vaccinations. We could hit the figure of 60k infections a day again but wouldn't have the same level of mortality that we had when we did. If things are going well by September then tackling transmission (and mortality indirectly) might be the better option rather than tackling mortality directly. Depends a lot too on what we learn of the variants in the meantime, as I'm assuming any booster is targeted at them. 

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52006 on: March 8, 2021, 06:52:54 pm »
My dad’s waiting on results from a home test. He’s been in bed “feeling pretty rough” since Saturday afternoon and someone who he had been in contact with last Monday has tested positive. Just turned 59 and got his call today for the vaccine which is typical. I’m just keeping everything crossed that he will be okay. He’s got a pulse oximeter (thank you for the recommendation on this previously, Tepid) and all fine up to now.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #52007 on: March 8, 2021, 07:08:22 pm »
Fingers crossed for your dad.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #52008 on: March 8, 2021, 07:17:30 pm »
Situation at the time and what we've learned so far might make starting with younger age groups a more valuable use of time.

Where we found ourselves end of December meant that vaccinating the elderly first was the obvious way to go - we were in the middle of already high infection rates (with associated mortality already baked in), data from the trials looked great for preventing severe disease/mortality but lacked any data on preventing transmission.

The situation in say September 2021 might be very different. We may have fairly low transmission in comparison, perhaps expecting it to begin to rise as we head into winter. We know from the last year that any rise will begin in the younger age groups (20-50 year olds), before spilling over into the older groups later on. The ultimate aim with a booster vaccine will still be to protect those most at risk of severe disease but the method to do it might be different. If the data on preventing transmission pans out then it might make more sense to nip any rise in transmission amongst the younger more socially active age groups before it even begins, protecting the elderly from picking it up in the first place.

It would all depend on the situation really and what the predicted situation might be for 2-3 months after the proposed start of this vaccination. Also depends on vaccine supply. Getting the trickle we had in Dec/Jan means it has to go to the oldest groups, but if you were to get 20-30 million in the space of a month then the argument for doing the younger groups first starts to be an option.

We've kind of already broken the link between transmission rates and mortality rates with this first round of vaccinations. We could hit the figure of 60k infections a day again but wouldn't have the same level of mortality that we had when we did. If things are going well by September then tackling transmission (and mortality indirectly) might be the better option rather than tackling mortality directly. Depends a lot too on what we learn of the variants in the meantime, as I'm assuming any booster is targeted at them. 
Yeah, I see that does make sense, thanks.

Offline John Higgins

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #52009 on: March 8, 2021, 07:21:24 pm »
The head at the Primary loves nothing more than treating parents as children and telling us what to do, his latest email is telling us we should all be ordering home test kits and testing the entire family. Last year he was demanding we all contacted our MP to demand a circuit breaker. I wonder if he told his staff not to order from Amazon to protect all the warehouse and logistics staff running the stuff up and down the country? I'd rather he addressed the main issues, such as the kids having fuck all teaching for 12 months? Zoom teaching, what the fuck is that?

The senior school meanwhile just gets on with treating us all like adults and doing a wonderful job with the kids.

Given most people don’t have a clue then frankly I understand his position. You’re here dismissing testing of the family when the guidance now is for ALL parents of kids returning to school to take lateral flow tests twice a week. 

Testing for all parents is now expected as part of kids return to school, I just collected a box of 14 lateral flow tests for precisely that purpose. I’m not sure why you appear to have a problem with that.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52010 on: March 8, 2021, 07:48:59 pm »
Given most people don’t have a clue then frankly I understand his position. You’re here dismissing testing of the family when the guidance now is for ALL parents of kids returning to school to take lateral flow tests twice a week. 

Testing for all parents is now expected as part of kids return to school, I just collected a box of 14 lateral flow tests for precisely that purpose. I’m not sure why you appear to have a problem with that.

Since when? I've not heard a thing about that. My lad will be tested twice a week at home, I've heard not one thing about me and the wife having to test ourselves.

Its not his place to be telling parents what they should be doing and its the condescending tone of the email that pissed me right off. I doubt the little c*nt  gave two fucks about transport staff, shopworkers and everyone else during the height of the pandemic without a test.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #52011 on: March 8, 2021, 07:57:21 pm »
Since when? I've not heard a thing about that. My lad will be tested twice a week at home, I've heard not one thing about me and the wife having to test ourselves.

Its not his place to be telling parents what they should be doing and its the condescending tone of the email that pissed me right off. I doubt the little c*nt  gave two fucks about transport staff, shopworkers and everyone else during the height of the pandemic without a test.

Yes parents can have two rapid tests a week.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline John Higgins

• Anny Roader
« Reply #52012 on: March 8, 2021, 08:11:16 pm »

Given you didn’t know about it, I’d absolutely say it is his place to be telling parents. But you know, just keep calling him a c*nt.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #52013 on: March 8, 2021, 08:14:53 pm »
You know, running a school right now is a phenomenally hard job
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #52014 on: March 8, 2021, 08:32:18 pm »

There's more detail about it here -

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rapid-lateral-flow-testing-for-households-and-bubbles-of-school-pupils-and-staff?priority-taxon=b350e61d-1db9-4cc2-bb44-fab02882ac25

Offline markthescouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52015 on: March 8, 2021, 08:45:45 pm »
There's more detail about it here -

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rapid-lateral-flow-testing-for-households-and-bubbles-of-school-pupils-and-staff?priority-taxon=b350e61d-1db9-4cc2-bb44-fab02882ac25
Yea that says some more like “you can get 2 tests a week if you want”, rather than this teacher’s incorrect interpretation of  “every parents has to do this and that” which no doubt annoys people

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52016 on: March 8, 2021, 08:49:13 pm »
You are gavin Williamson and I claim my five pounds.

Not
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #52017 on: March 8, 2021, 09:04:44 pm »

It annoys the shit out of me how Tories and certain groups amongst the general public love to disparage teachers/head teachers/school staff.

What schools have achieved over the last 12 months is IMO incredible. And often at not inconsiderable risk.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline John Higgins

• Anny Roader
« Reply #52018 on: March 8, 2021, 09:28:13 pm »
Yea that says some more like “you can get 2 tests a week if you want”, rather than this teacher’s incorrect interpretation of  “every parents has to do this and that” which no doubt annoys people

If taking regular tests to help prevent this stupid c*nt of a virus from spreading annoys you then frankly you’re probably part of the reason we are where we are.

He’s a headteacher, not a marketing manager skilled in the arts of nudge theory and complex messaging.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #52019 on: March 8, 2021, 09:29:34 pm »
Well, I don't know about that particular teacher and he may well be a 'jobsworth'- but, the guidance does say,

'About 1 in 3 people with coronavirus do not have symptoms but can still pass it on to others. Regular testing of people without symptoms is important to help stop the virus spreading and protect your loved ones. As lockdown restrictions gradually ease we all need to play our part to help protect each other.

The following people in England will have access to regular rapid lateral flow testing made available to them as schools and colleges reopen:

- secondary school pupils and college students
- staff of primary and secondary schools and colleges
- households, childcare and support bubbles of primary and secondary-age pupils and college students
- households, childcare and support bubbles of staff of primary and secondary schools and colleges'

Offline markthescouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52020 on: March 8, 2021, 10:11:42 pm »
The following people in England will have access to regular rapid lateral flow testing
Yea that’s it, have access to
If taking regular tests to help prevent this stupid c*nt of a virus from spreading annoys you then frankly you’re probably part of the reason we are where we are.

He’s a headteacher, not a marketing manager skilled in the arts of nudge theory and complex messaging.
Of course  regular tests help, you’ve not read my post properly as that’s not what I said annoys me.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52021 on: March 9, 2021, 08:28:32 am »

It annoys the shit out of me how Tories and certain groups amongst the general public love to disparage teachers/head teachers/school staff.

What schools have achieved over the last 12 months is IMO incredible. And often at not inconsiderable risk.

I have a lot of respect for the senior school where my eldest is, they have delivered lessons via Teams, educated the kids, treated the kids and the families with huge amounts of care and respect, while getting on with their jobs.

The head at the Primary has done as little as possible, bar bitch and moan at parents. The "lessons" has been take a few pics of sheets of work the kids have already done, upload it to seesaw and leave it at that. Its been taking my lad 30 minutes to do his school work, he's learn't nothing in the past 12 months.
He dictated that we all had to stand in lines outside the school to drop our kids, then has the fucking cheek to moan that social distancing wasn't being kept, it was impossible with the amount of physical space available and the sheer numbers of kids and parents. (I admit I have an issue with him personally over the bullying of the kids on a school camp, but thats another matter). His lack of effort in getting the kids working during the day has impacted on parents, personally I've struggled to get my work done during the kids being home, he's not once thought about what we as parents do. My main employer has been massively involved behind the scenes at keeping key sectors, such as the NHS, power and food industries going, I've been needed to make sure that systems were available to supply the gear needed, my wife works in the Utilities (gas and water) industry. Yet not once did I pull the key worker card and get him in school, even though I was entitled to.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52022 on: March 9, 2021, 08:32:37 am »
Well, I don't know about that particular teacher and he may well be a 'jobsworth'- but, the guidance does say,

'About 1 in 3 people with coronavirus do not have symptoms but can still pass it on to others. Regular testing of people without symptoms is important to help stop the virus spreading and protect your loved ones. As lockdown restrictions gradually ease we all need to play our part to help protect each other.

The following people in England will have access to regular rapid lateral flow testing made available to them as schools and colleges reopen:

- secondary school pupils and college students
- staff of primary and secondary schools and colleges
- households, childcare and support bubbles of primary and secondary-age pupils and college students
- households, childcare and support bubbles of staff of primary and secondary schools and colleges'

Cheers mate, I don't watch the news and was totally unaware of all of this. He's not a jobsworth, he's a condescending little prick. Just had a *socially distanced) conversation with a mate whose kid is my lads mate, he's fuming at the tone of the latest email too, does not appreciate being spoken to as if he is a child in one of the classes.

Its amazing though that vital sectors, such as the RDCs, Logistics staff and HGV drivers, who deliver the food to the shops have never been classed as important enough to be tested. Id Covid gets a grip in a large RDC, say Tesco's place in Goole and it has to shut for 10 days, then that is no stores north of Stoke getting deliveries of ambient goods, if the Widnes depot gets hit, that's no fresh, chilled or frozen food for the North West and North Wales.

I wasn't dismissing testing at all, I was unaware of it and I object to being talked down to by him. There are ways of wording emails and speaking to adults, he addresses us like children and it gets our backs up. I'm sure the NHS staff with children appreciate being talked down to by him.

As a part time HGV driver who has worked right through the pandemic, also being 53 at the time and group 6 for the covid vaccine due to my past health, I'd have loved to have been offered even ONE test, especially at the start when we were getting into trucks that had just come off a night shift and hadn't been cleaned, going out with No PPE, no hand sanitiser, no access to toilets outside of services so having to piss in laybys, no hot food or drinks at the services, no shower facilities, general public stood next to my trailers as I unloaded, no masks no social distancing, store staff running past me onto my trailer to grab toilet rolls and pasta as the public climbed over them in the shops to grab at it. Its was tough being neglected while we were keeping the country running, that goes for all staff in the Transport industry and shop workers.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2021, 09:09:42 am by rob1966 »

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52023 on: March 9, 2021, 09:15:45 am »
Cheers mate, I don't watch the news and was totally unaware of all of this. He's not a jobsworth, he's a condescending little prick. Just had a *socially distanced) conversation with a mate whose kid is my lads mate, he's fuming at the tone of the latest email too, does not appreciate being spoken to as if he is a child in one of the classes.

Its amazing though that vital sectors, such as the RDCs, Logistics staff and HGV drivers, who deliver the food to the shops have never been classed as important enough to be tested. Id Covid gets a grip in a large RDC, say Tesco's place in Goole and it has to shut for 10 days, then that is no stores north of Stoke getting deliveries of ambient goods, if the Widnes depot gets hit, that's no fresh, chilled or frozen food for the North West and North Wales.

I wasn't dismissing testing at all, I was unaware of it and I object to being talked down to by him. There are ways of wording emails and speaking to adults, he addresses us like children and it gets our backs up. I'm sure the NHS staff with children appreciate being talked down to by him.

As a part time HGV driver who has worked right through the pandemic, also being 53 at the time and group 6 for the covid vaccine due to my past health, I'd have loved to have been offered even ONE test, especially at the start when we were getting into trucks that had just come off a night shift and hadn't been cleaned, going out with No PPE, no hand sanitiser, no access to toilets outside of services so having to piss in laybys, no hot food or drinks at the services, no shower facilities, general public stood next to my trailers as I unloaded, no masks no social distancing, store staff running past me onto my trailer to grab toilet rolls and pasta as the public climbed over them in the shops to grab at it. Its was tough being neglected while we were keeping the country running, that goes for all staff in the Transport industry and shop workers.

People are shocking at seeing the work done behind the scenes.  It's understandable that more visible responses to the pandemic get called heroes, and in the case of the NHS they deserve every bit of it, but certain areas are entirely marginalised and told to keep cracking as normal for little to no improvement in work conditions - with nothing done because they're a 'key sector' and therefore would be panned in public were they to speak out.

Lot of sympathy for the long haul crowd specifically at the moment, with barely anything open it's bad enough driving a decent journey somewhere (there is only so many times you can eat service station sandwiches and outside of services toilets are hard to come by), let alone doing it for multiple days away from family.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52024 on: March 9, 2021, 09:59:56 am »
People are shocking at seeing the work done behind the scenes.  It's understandable that more visible responses to the pandemic get called heroes, and in the case of the NHS they deserve every bit of it, but certain areas are entirely marginalised and told to keep cracking as normal for little to no improvement in work conditions - with nothing done because they're a 'key sector' and therefore would be panned in public were they to speak out.

Lot of sympathy for the long haul crowd specifically at the moment, with barely anything open it's bad enough driving a decent journey somewhere (there is only so many times you can eat service station sandwiches and outside of services toilets are hard to come by), let alone doing it for multiple days away from family.

The trampers were treated like shit. It was really warm during spring and they couldn't get a shower, hot food, hot drinks, yet you're forced to stop at service stations. We're banned from using any layby on the A14 due to theft and also banned from using Toddington services on the M1, again due to theft, its tough for the lads and lasses who live in their units for 5 days, the South East is like the wild west for truckers.

Online spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52025 on: March 9, 2021, 10:05:48 am »
First jab over and done with.  Very well organised and professional

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52026 on: March 9, 2021, 10:09:15 am »

:thumbup

The volunteers and the staff are wonderful aren't they.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #52027 on: March 9, 2021, 10:18:45 am »
Well in mate.

Interested to see how the next 3 weeks go really. I guess with the schools going back we are sort of now blind a little bit to see the impact. I believe that deaths and hospitalisations should continue to fall regardless as they are delayed?

The interesting bit will be in we start to see a rise in positive cases in 14-21 days right?
« Last Edit: March 9, 2021, 10:21:46 am by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #52028 on: March 9, 2021, 01:27:03 pm »

Understand completely what you're saying - but, do you mean RDC's, HGV drivers etc are not classed as keyworkers ? If so, I find that incredible......how on earth is delivering food etc not essential ? You relate all the problems there and I sympathise with you over your frustration - not quite the same, but I know someone who works in an Amazon depot (warehouse) and he and his colleagues have been fuming about how the local managers just dismiss all their concerns over Covid secure measures like PPE, distancing and self-isolating. Is it any wonder there's still cases out there - nuts.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52029 on: March 9, 2021, 01:31:40 pm »
Johnson laying the groundwork now for the re-opening to be slowed if, as expected, cases spike as a result of kids going back to school.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52030 on: March 9, 2021, 02:22:21 pm »
Understand completely what you're saying - but, do you mean RDC's, HGV drivers etc are not classed as keyworkers ? If so, I find that incredible......how on earth is delivering food etc not essential ? You relate all the problems there and I sympathise with you over your frustration - not quite the same, but I know someone who works in an Amazon depot (warehouse) and he and his colleagues have been fuming about how the local managers just dismiss all their concerns over Covid secure measures like PPE, distancing and self-isolating. Is it any wonder there's still cases out there - nuts.

Oh we're classed as Key Workers, just never been treated as such, especially by the government. The first 6 or so weeks of the pandemic was really bad, I remember a mate of my brother screaming for a national HGV driver strike to let them know just how Key the industry is. i wish I could remember the conversation I had with my brother when he argued with a director, it was when they suddenly made PPE mandatory at his firm, 8 weeks after no driver being issued anything, it ended with our kid stood on a loading bay in his undies.

The govt where quick enough to relax the drivers hours so we could do longer hours 5.5 rather than 4.5 between breaks, work longer days, take less daily and weekly rest, but they did nothing to make sure we had access to tests, PPE, hand sanitiser, food and drink at the services, that kind of thing.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #52031 on: March 9, 2021, 02:49:00 pm »
No one more important than HGV drivers in the last year. 

Thanks to you all
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52032 on: March 9, 2021, 02:49:21 pm »

The govt where quick enough to relax the drivers hours so we could do longer hours 5.5 rather than 4.5 between breaks, work longer days, take less daily and weekly rest, but they did nothing to make sure we had access to tests, PPE, hand sanitiser, food and drink at the services, that kind of thing.

Where those Covid changes Rob, or just general Toryness?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52033 on: March 9, 2021, 02:50:10 pm »
No one more important than HGV drivers in the last year. 

Thanks to you all

HGV drivers and special government advisors, obviously.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #52034 on: March 9, 2021, 03:09:37 pm »
Oh we're classed as Key Workers, just never been treated as such, especially by the government. The first 6 or so weeks of the pandemic was really bad, I remember a mate of my brother screaming for a national HGV driver strike to let them know just how Key the industry is. i wish I could remember the conversation I had with my brother when he argued with a director, it was when they suddenly made PPE mandatory at his firm, 8 weeks after no driver being issued anything, it ended with our kid stood on a loading bay in his undies.

;D     that bold bit made me chuckle

Agree entirely about the way a lot of employers having been ignoring/circumventing the govt guidelines - and the govt are to blame too for lack of any response or accountability. Have to say too that the HSE have been pathetic - I know their numbers of inspectors have been cut, but their response has been abysmal. Not one workplace has been shut down with a Covid-related prohibition notice during the whole pandemic, despite there being more than 3,500 workplace Covid outbreaks.

Here's a clue why though. Last month the Employment minister Mims Davies said Covid had been classified as “significant” rather than “serious”, as it 'best supports inspectors in making sensible, proportionate regulatory decisions'. She added that effects of Covid were 'non-permanent or reversible, non-progressive and any disability is temporary' for the working population as a whole.

I'd argue that dying of Covid sounds pretty permanent to me !
« Last Edit: March 9, 2021, 03:12:26 pm by Thepooloflife »

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52035 on: March 9, 2021, 03:13:05 pm »
Lord Bellhead, health minister, has just said that "nurses are well paid for the job" and many would envy them for it. :butt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56260038

That must be why there are about 40,000 nurse vaccancies. And all but one of my mates that used to work as nurses have quit.

Wish they'll go on strike.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2021, 03:26:44 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52036 on: March 9, 2021, 03:23:55 pm »
Where those Covid changes Rob, or just general Toryness?

Temporary Covid changes forced by the General public and their mental panic buying.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2021, 03:28:24 pm by rob1966 »

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52037 on: March 9, 2021, 03:31:33 pm »
On the topic of people working in dangerous conditions over the last year. People in the oil industry have spent the last year working in conditions even more ripe for spreading COVID than a cruise liner... and look at how that went. It is absolutely impossible to social distance on a rig, and once COVID gets on to one, the potential for to spread throughout the whole rig before it is even detected is huge.

Now of course people have their (absolutely valid) objections to the fossil fuel industry... but without them, those HGVs wouldn't be able to be fuelled.

I say this as someone in the industry but I am not saying this for credit for myself - I work from home.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #52038 on: March 9, 2021, 04:16:09 pm »

« Last Edit: March 9, 2021, 04:42:07 pm by filopastry »

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #52039 on: March 9, 2021, 04:33:34 pm »
On the topic of people working in dangerous conditions over the last year. People in the oil industry have spent the last year working in conditions even more ripe for spreading COVID than a cruise liner... and look at how that went. It is absolutely impossible to social distance on a rig, and once COVID gets on to one, the potential for to spread throughout the whole rig before it is even detected is huge.

Now of course people have their (absolutely valid) objections to the fossil fuel industry... but without them, those HGVs wouldn't be able to be fuelled.

I say this as someone in the industry but I am not saying this for credit for myself - I work from home.
You're absolutely right about the rigs being a big risk. I notice now that the govt have only just started to make free testing available for employers - but, this should have been done months ago,

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/free-rapid-tests-for-all-businesses-for-regular-workplace-testing

The TUC said recently that it was concerned the lower-risk classification of Covid was allowing employers to get away with exposing workers to avoidable threats -

“Over 10,000 workers have died from Covid, and many others have long Covid, with long-term health problems. It’s the most serious workplace safety hazard in a generation,” said Shelly Asquith, TUC health and safety policy officer. “It’s hard to understand why Covid is not classified as ‘serious’ given the number of workplace clusters.”

The HSE has been inundated with Covid-related safety complaints from workers - over 100,000 cases during the pandemic.....25,000 in January alone ! Yet, not one closure or prosecution. That's fucking criminal.