Author Topic: 2017 in Music  (Read 100268 times)

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
Re: 2017 in Music
« Reply #160 on: February 15, 2017, 12:43:33 pm »
I'm taking this slightly out of context but anyhow:

will popular music once again inspire the youth to rally around and provide a soundtrack to inspire and comfort?

The "funny" thing with Father John Misty is that he's somehow supposed to be this flag bearer of insightful commentary of late capitalism (albeit from a white male singer/songwriter perspective) etc.  and that label has been put on him I suppose, but here are two thoughts on that. Firstly, he released the first single since Honeybear the day after Orange Face got inaugurated. Is this overly calculated? Shouldn't a nascent "rebellion" be more chaotic? And secondly, and this is a subjective opinion; musically the three singles have been shit, compared to a lot of the stuff on Honeybear. Any thoughts on that?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:45:59 pm by telekon »
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2017, 01:53:50 pm »
Anyone listen to J Cole? Untouchable in the Hip Hop world in my opinion.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2017, 03:20:05 pm »
Anyone listen to J Cole? Untouchable in the Hip Hop world in my opinion.

Guess Gerrard was referring to hip hop when he said Joe was better than Messi.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2017, 06:12:12 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9m-zS-cx3Uk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9m-zS-cx3Uk</a>

Offline d.arn

• Kopite
« Reply #164 on: February 15, 2017, 06:38:26 pm »
Sampha's album Process is excellent. Been spinning it a lot in recent weeks. The album I've listened most to so far in 2017.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2017, 08:35:05 pm »
Good to see FB back!

I've been enjoying Vermont's new one, German band, minimal ambient Kraut, their self titled debut was excellent too. Great tones, man.

Enjoyed the Nightingales session on 6music last night. I think it was last night. Time has little meaning right now.

Keep meaning to listen to Moonlandingz, any good anyone?

Also listening to old stuff. Doug Sahm. New Kentucky Colonels. Early Floyd. Let It Bleed. The Ink Spots. Bobby Callender.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2017, 09:16:44 pm »
Good to see FB back!

I've been enjoying Vermont's new one, German band, minimal ambient Kraut, their self titled debut was excellent too. Great tones, man.

Spent ages looking for their last album after you had them in your 2014 AOTY list (sorry I stalk you all), never found it and completely forgot about them. Log into Spotify - both are there now. Sounds like the quieter bits of Standards era Tortoise. Nice!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2017, 10:10:51 pm »
Had a thought since I was going through my spotify and found the RAWK songs of the year. Do you folks think we might be better served if the playlist was up and running early rather than late in the year. Should allow people to allow songs every now and then rather than try and remember at the end of the year, and then add them.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: February 15, 2017, 10:21:45 pm »
Had a thought since I was going through my spotify and found the RAWK songs of the year. Do you folks think we might be better served if the playlist was up and running early rather than late in the year. Should allow people to allow songs every now and then rather than try and remember at the end of the year, and then add them.

Great idea - count me in. Tend to have numerous lists on the go to try keep track of the good stuff anyway. Don't mind lashing in some tunes.

Been catching up on recent reviews, and hence releases the last couple of days.  The Necks (who I never new are of the Antipodean persuasion until tonight! one of them even played in Midnight Oil for a while, been listening to them a bit lately finally) album is different - got loads of organs on it, Rick Wakeman style - still great but might take a couple of listens to get used to.

That Uniform band (one of the dudes from the Men, with someone else) sounds really good. On Sacred Bones - think a bunch of you like people on that label - Amen Dunes, Jenny Hval etc.  A bit chuggier than the Men - but going to give it a couple of listens.  I like the dark shoutiness of it.

Also like the new Melvins, Crystal Fairy, thing - but probably will be in an audience of one in here - Pretty Girls Make Graves meets eh.... The Melvins. And looking forward to the Arboretum and Pontiak albums en route on Thrill Jockey this week or next.     
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:24:54 pm by Chip Evans »

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #169 on: February 16, 2017, 12:47:07 am »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iEngbdIMZ6o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iEngbdIMZ6o</a>

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: February 16, 2017, 12:54:36 am »
Great idea - count me in. Tend to have numerous lists on the go to try keep track of the good stuff anyway. Don't mind lashing in some tunes.

Been catching up on recent reviews, and hence releases the last couple of days.  The Necks (who I never new are of the Antipodean persuasion until tonight! one of them even played in Midnight Oil for a while, been listening to them a bit lately finally) album is different - got loads of organs on it, Rick Wakeman style - still great but might take a couple of listens to get used to.

That Uniform band (one of the dudes from the Men, with someone else) sounds really good. On Sacred Bones - think a bunch of you like people on that label - Amen Dunes, Jenny Hval etc.  A bit chuggier than the Men - but going to give it a couple of listens.  I like the dark shoutiness of it.

Also like the new Melvins, Crystal Fairy, thing - but probably will be in an audience of one in here - Pretty Girls Make Graves meets eh.... The Melvins. And looking forward to the Arboretum and Pontiak albums en route on Thrill Jockey this week or next.     

Right... I'm a bit blond and I'm not sure how to create one of these!

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: February 16, 2017, 08:02:51 am »
Right... I'm a bit blond and I'm not sure how to create one of these!

https://open.spotify.com/user/shanearrowsmith/playlist/0ituxVohxbtiNJuAogC6CV

Click the link - follow it to start adding. Clicks through to web app rather than desktop from a browser.  If you have a mobile app use your phone and you should get through to the app. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:06:23 am by Chip Evans »

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #172 on: February 17, 2017, 03:38:00 am »
New Hand Habits album sounds really impressive. It's Meg Duffy who's recently leant a hand to Kevin Morby and Weyes Blood. It's basically gorgeous bedroom pop that has sprinklings of that pastoral guitar sound The Clientele mastered in the early '00s. Another fine release from the Woodist stable.

Looking forward to that Crystal Fairy album!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #173 on: February 17, 2017, 11:16:56 am »
New Hand Habits album sounds really impressive. It's Meg Duffy who's recently leant a hand to Kevin Morby and Weyes Blood. It's basically gorgeous bedroom pop that has sprinklings of that pastoral guitar sound The Clientele mastered in the early '00s. Another fine release from the Woodist stable.

Looking forward to that Crystal Fairy album!

HH is a great record.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2017, 12:49:41 pm »

Been meaning to get that one, thanks for the reminder! She is a brilliant guitar player so looking forward to hearing it.

I seem to have missed out on Weyes Blood...any pointers as to where I should start?

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: February 17, 2017, 11:10:11 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/v2g8yoeXziA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/v2g8yoeXziA</a>

This Sacred Paws album is ridiculous.  Think the afrobeaty bits of Paul Simon Graceland meets the Chalets - but a million times better (Than the Chalets not Graceland). Great fun.

Drummer is excellent. Looking forward to seeing them in a tiny room.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:31:16 pm by Chip Evans »

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2017, 04:20:11 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/v2g8yoeXziA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/v2g8yoeXziA</a>

This Sacred Paws album is ridiculous.  Think the afrobeaty bits of Paul Simon Graceland meets the Chalets - but a million times better (Than the Chalets not Graceland). Great fun.

Drummer is excellent. Looking forward to seeing them in a tiny room.

Love the sound. And the drummer is just fucking good. Got to get on this. And thanks for setting up the playlist further up mate!   

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2017, 03:01:33 pm »
The new Ryan Adams is brilliant. A real grower too.

He really is at the top of his game at the moment.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2017, 01:32:56 pm »
I've been enjoying The Lagniappe Sessions on the Aquarium Drunkard - there's some Matthew E White, HGM, Kevin Morby, William Tyler, Steve Gunn etc. live sessions where they do a few covers. HGM doing Flags and Banners by the late great Ronnie Lane a particular favourite. You can just click on the tracks and download them as well. Pretty sweet stash to turn up for a Sunday. I think the site is one of the better music sites out there.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #179 on: February 19, 2017, 08:17:24 pm »
The new Ryan Adams is brilliant. A real grower too.

He really is at the top of his game at the moment.

Very much so.  The last three records seem to represent a particular 'chapter' in his career (though I dislike using the word in this context), and he's really acing it.

I wouldn't say there's anything particularly new (to anyone who's heard his last couple of records and one or two older ones) sound on it, but it's just another brilliantly crafted set of songs that pull you in and stick with you.  I particularly like the last two - Tightrope and We Disappear.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2017, 08:40:55 pm »
Enjoyed Woods' Live at Third Man. Good band, remember being impressed when they supported Kurt vile.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2017, 09:09:34 pm »
Enjoyed Woods' Live at Third Man. Good band, remember being impressed when they supported Kurt vile.

Great live band.

Really underrated and Kevin Morby played with them too.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: February 20, 2017, 04:41:57 am »
Thee Oh Sees live session at KEXP. I've always wondered how Kexp get stuff sounding so good. Their sound guy is ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrMacbbLxuc&t=396s

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2017, 09:18:10 am »
I seem to have missed out on Weyes Blood...any pointers as to where I should start?

Her first album is okay, but it's the EP she made in 2015 that might be a good entry point. From there, definitely give her new one a spin. It's a gem.

She's also just released a split EP with Ariel Pink. Haven't checked that yet. Could never get into Aeiral Pink.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2017, 10:30:24 am »
Her first album is okay, but it's the EP she made in 2015 that might be a good entry point. From there, definitely give her new one a spin. It's a gem.

She's also just released a split EP with Ariel Pink. Haven't checked that yet. Could never get into Aeiral Pink.

Ariel is just so hit and miss it's unreal. But when it's good, it's brilliant. I prefer Mac Demarco to him but can't deny his talent. Mac just seems to be able to curtail his crazy genes when he's recording. But I guess that's the charm with Ariel Pink anyway. Fully agree about Weyes Blood. Really enjoyed her album when I gave it a listen a few weeks ago.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 20, 2017, 10:32:04 am »
Any thoughts on the new Sun Kil Moon? Just put it on and it instantly sounds happier than Benji. But I guess few albums sound that desperately sad.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #186 on: February 20, 2017, 01:36:30 pm »
Ariel is just so hit and miss it's unreal. But when it's good, it's brilliant. I prefer Mac Demarco to him but can't deny his talent. Mac just seems to be able to curtail his crazy genes when he's recording. But I guess that's the charm with Ariel Pink anyway. Fully agree about Weyes Blood. Really enjoyed her album when I gave it a listen a few weeks ago.

Yeah, other than his first album, I've always found it difficult to grasp his stuff.

Any thoughts on the new Sun Kil Moon? Just put it on and it instantly sounds happier than Benji. But I guess few albums sound that desperately sad.

Got three tracks in and had to turn it off. It feels as though Mr Kozelek has taken the putting-your-listeners-on-trial thing to a whole new  level (if that was possible!?) I get the stream of consciousness thing, but I feel it's starting to become a bit too self-indulgent. Or maybe I'm just a miserable fucker....?

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: February 20, 2017, 03:45:42 pm »
Thee Oh Sees live session at KEXP. I've always wondered how Kexp get stuff sounding so good. Their sound guy is ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrMacbbLxuc&t=396s
Boss that. Wasted on that unappreciative bunch of headbobbers.

They are over in Rotterdam in May. There are now 5 support bands as everyone wants to do it!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2017, 06:48:13 am »
Love the Hideout album. It's some fine sun-drenched indie pop.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2017, 09:56:24 am »

Loved the stuff she did with Drugdealer last year on 'The End of Comedy'...boss little album, full of West Coast / Rundgren / Beatles references.....with her contributions being the highlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT5j7aXV5Lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA6L9qtnd8w
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2017, 11:24:07 am »

Loved the stuff she did with Drugdealer last year on 'The End of Comedy'...boss little album, full of West Coast / Rundgren / Beatles references.....with her contributions being the highlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT5j7aXV5Lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA6L9qtnd8w

Ah OK, that album was in my top 10 last year but I never looked at the credits, so I've already listened to her then ;D

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2017, 11:25:18 am »
Ariel is just so hit and miss it's unreal. But when it's good, it's brilliant.

He's infuriating. So much talent, and so much unlistenable weird shite. I like his good stuff, but why doesn't he seem to know what bits are good? ;D

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2017, 08:06:47 pm »

New one from Spoon due in March (Matador Records)

Look forward to that one. Any news on who is producing it? I think Dave Fridmann did the last one IIRC and the sound of it was amazing. Huge drums and razor sharp guitars.

"Can I Sit Next to You?" just dropped.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6_yJYNF_Qas" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6_yJYNF_Qas</a>

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2017, 04:05:31 pm »
Any fans of Tinariwen? New album - Elwan - is on pre-release. The three tracks on Apple music sound good on first listen.

Really enjoying this one.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: February 22, 2017, 10:54:52 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6U6F_eRkuw

New Thee Oh Sees song. Jesus these guys pump it out at the rate of knots. And this is already a couple of months old!

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #195 on: February 23, 2017, 10:59:27 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5e4tgN7K9w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5e4tgN7K9w</a>

If you like Alvvays, check out this new band from Gothenburg. Their second EP was released today and contains my favorite song of 2017 so far called Dead End. This is from their first EP.

https://youtu.be/g5e4tgN7K9w in case the link doesn't work.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:01:06 am by telekon »
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2017, 11:17:38 am »
FJM has leaked! Just started listening to it.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 24, 2017, 04:04:17 am »
Got three tracks in and had to turn it off. It feels as though Mr Kozelek has taken the putting-your-listeners-on-trial thing to a whole new  level (if that was possible!?) I get the stream of consciousness thing, but I feel it's starting to become a bit too self-indulgent. Or maybe I'm just a miserable fucker....?

Totally boring. Couldn't even listen to it at work because it was that boring. Speaking of boring, new FJM is terribly hit and miss. I really liked the singles and honestly they're the only standouts on the album. Even the 14 minute song that he premiered on BBC radio that sounded so great live sounds pretty average on record with the arrangements only serving to distract. The second half of the album is stronger than the first but is still inconsistent as anything. Maybe I need to give it more time.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: February 24, 2017, 12:28:39 pm »
The Repetitor drummer has recovered and they are playing in Rotterdam on 22nd April. Yeeerrrrrssse! Hopefully they make the UK later on.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #199 on: February 24, 2017, 01:29:38 pm »
The new Blanck Mass off the absolutely brilliant Sacred Bones label is now streaming on NPR

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/23/515637311/first-listen-blanck-mass-world-eater

Sacred Bones were so consistent last year putting out, Jenny Hval, Marissa Nadler and Exploded View which are well worth a listen back to if you're finding 2017 hasn't kicked off yet.