Author Topic: Hello Friend - Mr Robot TV series.  (Read 52795 times)

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Hello Friend - Mr Robot TV series.
« Reply #80 on: August 7, 2015, 12:34:01 pm »
i notice that when the girl in the hijab was describing all the members of the team, she didn't mention eliot or mr. robot. clunky...

I don't have such a problem with this. If I were talking to a long-term, relatively close coworker about our "team," I wouldn't necessarily discuss the boss or the new guy. Obviously the implications of the conversation in this particular context are much different, but it didn't bother me too severely.

Agreed that it was a filler episode, though.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #81 on: August 7, 2015, 12:42:49 pm »
i don't normally subscribe to the idea of a 'filler episode' - but episode 7 was the very definition of that.  lots of morose talking which attempted to hide its melodrama with that overwrought incidental music.

worse, the show seems to have decided that raising the stakes (as the body in the boot undoubtedly did last week) translates to a need to abandon the fun, quirky (fight club rip-off) style of the earlier episodes for 45-minutes of emo.

i notice that when the girl in the hijab was describing all the members of the team, she didn't mention eliot or mr. robot. clunky...

i did like the 'view source' bit though.

Spoiler
In regards to this theory, I just remember the scene where Christian Slater's character takes the keyboard off Darlene and smashes it to stop her activating the plan or whatever.
[close]
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #82 on: August 7, 2015, 12:58:01 pm »
I don't have such a problem with this. If I were talking to a long-term, relatively close coworker about our "team," I wouldn't necessarily discuss the boss or the new guy. Obviously the implications of the conversation in this particular context are much different, but it didn't bother me too severely.

maybe... but when the discussion is all about what people in the team are looking for in the 'work', the boss/new guy are two of the most interesting to discuss - especially as it's not a job you're being paid for, and 'the boss' and his vision are a big part of why everyone's involved in the first place.

i'll admit though that if they don't actually take this route, they've trolled it quite well throughout :P
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #83 on: August 7, 2015, 05:53:45 pm »
Just caught up on all 7 episodes and I'm loving it.
Justice For The 96

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: August 7, 2015, 06:03:30 pm »
So I wasn't the only one who thought that was a filler episode. There's one thing that confused me a little: did they intentionally have that music playing during the scene on the rooftop, or did whoever made the torrent I downloaded just throw that in there? I don't know. It seemed awfully out of place.

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: August 7, 2015, 06:18:06 pm »
So is there any actual robots in this?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: August 7, 2015, 06:58:11 pm »
So is there any actual robots in this?

No cyborgs, robots, AI or biomechs at all.
Item not as described.
1/10 would not recommend.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: August 8, 2015, 12:21:03 pm »
No cyborgs, robots, AI or biomechs at all.
Item not as described.
1/10 would not recommend.

if there turns out to be a character who doesn't actually exist, i'd say that's pretty much a literal 'artificial intelligence'...
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: August 8, 2015, 12:22:14 pm »
if there turns out to be a character who doesn't actually exist, i'd say that's pretty much a literal 'artificial intelligence'...

It's not called Mr. Imaginary Friend though is it :P

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2015, 02:13:06 am »
It's not called Mr. Imaginary Friend though is it :P

Hahaha

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2015, 06:49:51 pm »
Well episode 8 was pretty fucking great. Music througout the series has also been brilliant.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2015, 07:14:12 pm »
Well episode 8 was pretty fucking great. Music througout the series has also been brilliant.

Agreed, pretty excellent from start to finish.

Spoiler
Some revelations that we all saw coming, although Elliot hinted at that being expected with his "were you in on this the whole time?" line aimed at the viewer. I was genuinely surprised to find out about his sister, looking back her behaviour around him makes more sense now, it seems like the question of who is Mr Robot was there to distract us as much as anything.
[close]

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2015, 07:44:51 pm »

Not seen Episode 8 yet but the music has been boss, I've shazam'd a few tracks as I had no idea who the artisit or song was, genuinely expanded my music library from this series!

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2015, 08:07:08 pm »
While the end of episode 8 blew most people away, I think I saw the twist being predicted here I think. Great episode but didn't hit me as hard as a lot of viewers.

Agreed, pretty excellent from start to finish.

Spoiler
Some revelations that we all saw coming, although Elliot hinted at that being expected with his "were you in on this the whole time?" line aimed at the viewer. I was genuinely surprised to find out about his sister, looking back her behaviour around him makes more sense now, it seems like the question of who is Mr Robot was there to distract us as much as anything.
[close]
yeah, that's the one thing I didn't see coming either
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2015, 08:37:33 pm »
WHAT THE FUCK. EPIC.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2015, 09:01:57 pm »
WHAT THE FUCK. EPIC.
^^^ The reaction I missed out on lol
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2015, 11:00:43 pm »
I'm confused. This shows abit good isn't it.
Football is a lie

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2015, 11:04:24 pm »
WOAH THERE

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2015, 11:28:02 pm »
I was so bored the other night and I had nothing to watch as I had caught up with Ray Donovan, True Detective had finished, I typed into google about recent TV series and saw this pop up. I had also seen it in the next best tv show thread on here and thought 'fuck it I'll give it a bash i'm so bored.'

Binged watched the whole series up to episode 8.

Damn this is GOOD. The actor who plays Elliot has done a fantastic job so far. The inner monologues and the awkwardness of the character are perfect for his demeanour.

Not only is the acting superb but the plot is intriguing in the different groups that are involved and how law in so many countries is simply created to benefit those already in power, the cards are already stacked b4 the game begins. Very good television looking forward to the next episodes.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2015, 02:54:11 am »
OK, for whatever reason, this show started well, but evokes no emotion from me in the past 3-4 episodes. Absolutely nothing. Even True Detective 2, which was 5/10, did more for me. I at least got annoyed by that show. I don't know if the topic of this show doesn't interest me or the lack of any coherent focus that does it for me.

I am giving up on this one.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2015, 03:47:46 am »

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2015, 04:34:54 am »
much better episode.  still overrated on here, but best episode so far nonetheless.

Spoiler
i'm not sure it works and fits together (a lot depends on whether mr. robot actually exists) but it was impressive the way it built up to and then revealed two big details in quick succession.

very matrix-like scene with whiterose.  it was nicely done, even if that final beep was completely predictable.
[close]

also, how grim was that scene with wellick's wife in the kitchen.  eww.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2015, 08:17:49 am »
Lovely episode with a great finale even it was semi expected. Not crazy about it as I was after episode 1 nut nonetheless good viewing.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2015, 11:24:54 am »
The last 5 mins was WTF!!! :o
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2015, 12:58:02 pm »
The last 5 mins was WTF!!! :o

Yeah, I watched it very late as I was falling asleep and it woke me right up, did not see that coming.
Spoiler
I had focused so much on Christian Slater being real or not I had not thought about Elliot's relationship with the girl too much.
[close]

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2015, 01:53:45 pm »
:o amazing

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2015, 02:30:29 pm »
Great stuff. Darlene caught me out too.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2015, 02:38:58 pm »
I'm not sure I'd be that invested in the plot with the wrong lead, but Rami Malek nails it for me. And even if I wasn't a fan of the story, the soundtrack is boss and I've never felt closer to New York thanks to the excellent camera work.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2015, 04:12:41 pm »
Spoiler
Saw on social media, and even one review, that people think that episode was confirmation that Mr Robot is real (Elliot just forgot he was his dad).

The knock on the door at the end is playing with that. But it's pretty clear to me that Elliot has always been involved with fsociety and that his motivation has always been his dead father but this took a physical personality (in Elliot's head anyway) after he stopped taking his pills

Still plenty of questions like, but if you look back on Darlene and Elliot's interactions, it makes sense that it was always his sister, whereas if you look back on Mr Robot and Elliot's interactions, it doesn't really make any sense that he's his dad. He'd have to be in on Elliot forgetting him - I'm pretty sure they talk about Elliot's dead dad before he pushes him off that ledge? And there's a ton of other stuff that doesn't make sense either, although we obviously do have an ever increasing unreliable narrator.
[close]

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2015, 04:30:25 pm »
Spoiler
Saw on social media, and even one review, that people think that episode was confirmation that Mr Robot is real (Elliot just forgot he was his dad).

The knock on the door at the end is playing with that. But it's pretty clear to me that Elliot has always been involved with fsociety and that his motivation has always been his dead father but this took a physical personality (in Elliot's head anyway) after he stopped taking his pills

Still plenty of questions like, but if you look back on Darlene and Elliot's interactions, it makes sense that it was always his sister, whereas if you look back on Mr Robot and Elliot's interactions, it doesn't really make any sense that he's his dad. He'd have to be in on Elliot forgetting him - I'm pretty sure they talk about Elliot's dead dad before he pushes him off that ledge? And there's a ton of other stuff that doesn't make sense either, although we obviously do have an ever increasing unreliable narrator.
[close]

Spoiler
I guess the scene with Mr Robot and Tyrell together implies that he's real, I think that's the first time we've seen Mr Robot without Elliot in the same place. Even in that case it could be that Mr Robot is just another part of Elliot's personality, which would actually make more sense given that we know that those two have a relationship.
[close]

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2015, 06:06:31 pm »
Holy shit. Great episode. Totally knocked me back.

Spoiler
I guess I should have seen the Darlene twist coming in retrospect. The episode begins with a scene between Angela and Darlene who, to my recollection, had no pre-existing relationship on screen. I was trying to figure out how they knew each other when I first saw that scene. Angela shared a couple scenes with Shayla, so they knew each other. Same goes for Shayla and Darlene, but, unless I'm mistaken, we had never seen Angela and Darlene together, yet they were clearly familiar with one another and spoke about Elliott (so it wasn't some con by Darlene). That was bugging me and I couldn't figure it out, but it eventually slipped my mind as the episode developed and the drama with White Rose and Tyrell took over. It makes perfect sense now and I should have been able to put the pieces together if I really thought it through. Alas.

Still torn on the Mr. Robot question personally. So we now know he looks like his father, but I don't think anything we saw last episode proves he's real. Some will point to the meeting with Tyrell as proof, but our perspective is so largely influenced by Elliott's mindset (we've seen that countless times already) that I don't think we can read into that any more than the other times we've seen Mr. Robot interact with other characters. Still leaning towards the Fight Club answer personally, but I'm far from convinced. Maybe we're all wrong and it's actually his dead father's twin brother.

By the way, a non-plot related note, I thought that was one of the most magnificently innovative directorial episodes of television I've ever seen. The way they toyed with our perspective as Elliott was constantly introduced to new (or old) information was really fun and then the coup de grace of Elliott reaching across the fourth wall and throwing the camera to the ground was amazing. Can't really remember anything like it.
[close]
Justice For The 96

Offline Saint Kopite

• but Greavesie's in the Main Stand
  • Legacy Fan
  • “By what right does the wolf judge the lion?”
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2015, 08:03:47 pm »
WHAT THE FLYING FUCK JUST HAPPENED!
A Liverbird upon my chest, we are the men of Shankly's best. A team that plays the Liverpool way, and wins the championship in May.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2015, 08:36:53 pm »

Spoiler
I guess I should have seen the Darlene twist coming in retrospect. The episode begins with a scene between Angela and Darlene who, to my recollection, had no pre-existing relationship on screen. I was trying to figure out how they knew each other when I first saw that scene. Angela shared a couple scenes with Shayla, so they knew each other. Same goes for Shayla and Darlene, but, unless I'm mistaken, we had never seen Angela and Darlene together, yet they were clearly familiar with one another and spoke about Elliott (so it wasn't some con by Darlene). That was bugging me and I couldn't figure it out, but it eventually slipped my mind as the episode developed and the drama with White Rose and Tyrell took over. It makes perfect sense now and I should have been able to put the pieces together if I really thought it through. Alas.

Still torn on the Mr. Robot question personally. So we now know he looks like his father, but I don't think anything we saw last episode proves he's real. Some will point to the meeting with Tyrell as proof, but our perspective is so largely influenced by Elliott's mindset (we've seen that countless times already) that I don't think we can read into that any more than the other times we've seen Mr. Robot interact with other characters. Still leaning towards the Fight Club answer personally, but I'm far from convinced. Maybe we're all wrong and it's actually his dead father's twin brother.

By the way, a non-plot related note, I thought that was one of the most magnificently innovative directorial episodes of television I've ever seen. The way they toyed with our perspective as Elliott was constantly introduced to new (or old) information was really fun and then the coup de grace of Elliott reaching across the fourth wall and throwing the camera to the ground was amazing. Can't really remember anything like it.
[close]
Great summation that. Agreed the camera work is as good as anything else on TV at the moment.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2015, 10:35:20 pm »

By the way, a non-plot related note, I thought that was one of the most magnificently innovative directorial episodes of television I've ever seen. The way they toyed with our perspective as Elliott was constantly introduced to new (or old) information was really fun and then the coup de grace of Elliott reaching across the fourth wall and throwing the camera to the ground was amazing. Can't really remember anything like it.[/spoiler]

It is special indeed my friend, Remi Malek and this camera they make really good connection along with directing, it couldn't been more perfect. This by far the best show for me at the moment, everything makes sense once you connect all the dots.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2015, 12:27:27 am »
Theory from Reddit:

Spoiler
https://www.reddit.com/r/MrRobot/comments/3gvydo/theory_spoilers_i_have_cracked_the_mr_robot_code/
So Mr. Robot is Elliot's father right? So the episode when he pushed Elliot off the bridge, he mentioned something about ratting out his own father. So here is what I think......Mr. Robot had an affair with Angela's mother and Elliot is the one that told his mother (he is always peeking over those walls isn't he?). Evil corp caused her death. Mr. Robot [maybe involved in the chemical dumping] leaves his family on some mission to get revenge/redemption. This breaks up the family and causes Elliot's mother to be angry and abusive (especially considering Elliot's close friendship with Angela). Elliot, using his psychotic amnesia, warps this story to hide the painful truth that his snooping broke up the family.
The book Mr. Robot is holding in the episode he pushed Elliot off bridge, Resurrection by Tolstoy, is about this (from wiki) "....a nobleman named Dmitri Ivanovich Nekhlyudov, who seeks redemption for a sin committed years earlier. His brief affair with a maid had resulted in her being fired and ending up in prostitution. The book treats his attempts to help her out of her current misery, but also focuses on his personal mental and moral struggle.".......I am so fucking right
Pretty interesting take. The only issue it doesn't seem to explain is why Angela thinks Elliott's father is dead. Other than that, at least as far as I can tell, it passes the smell test and actually fits in nicely with the way Elliott distorts reality in his mind. Don't know if I'm sold on it, but I also couldn't punch any obvious holes in it. The book is a very nice catch by the poster which I hadn't seen anyone else point out.
[close]

Thoughts? Any obvious flaws in the theory that have been overlooked?
Justice For The 96

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2015, 02:42:38 am »
I haven't rewatched it yet but like the fact that, after the first mention, E-Corp is ever after referred to as Evil Corp, even visually. This means we are in his head and experiencing his delusion like you all have said.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2015, 08:19:48 am »

Spoiler

[close]

Had the same feeling, Vork.

Spoiler
When I saw it, I immediately thought "wait a minute, how they both know each other?" but I guessed they must have showed it before and I had simply forgotten it.
[close]
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2015, 03:20:00 pm »
Theory from Reddit:

Spoiler
https://www.reddit.com/r/MrRobot/comments/3gvydo/theory_spoilers_i_have_cracked_the_mr_robot_code/Pretty interesting take. The only issue it doesn't seem to explain is why Angela thinks Elliott's father is dead. Other than that, at least as far as I can tell, it passes the smell test and actually fits in nicely with the way Elliott distorts reality in his mind. Don't know if I'm sold on it, but I also couldn't punch any obvious holes in it. The book is a very nice catch by the poster which I hadn't seen anyone else point out.
[close]

Thoughts? Any obvious flaws in the theory that have been overlooked?
Spoiler
You know, I actually thought there was a good chance that Mr Robot was real until I realised it was probably his dad, then I leaned to it being a delusion. Elliot's distortion of reality means it could go any way I guess.

One problem I have with it is Mr Robot and Elliot's interactions (like I say, you look back at Darlene and Elliot and think 'of course!', not so with Mr Robot), and another is that I'm convinced that Elliot has been involved with fsociety for years. Would his dad have to be in on his mental problems?

The only function that Mr Robot has really served is to motivate Elliot and push him into doing this. Elliot is clearly the leader of fsociety and Darlene acknowledges that right before shit goes down. He's the one that meets with White Rose. His Dad doesn't really seem to do any hacking. Just act a bit crazy while prodding Elliot and the others. For me, his anger taking a separate personality in the midst of his repression (first episode his therapist talks about an Elliot that was shouting in their very first session, and how his delusions grow when he's 'hiding) with the face of his ultimate motivation for doing this makes sense.
[close]

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2015, 03:44:40 pm »
Spoiler
Also, it makes more sense for Elliot to have a whole folder of pictures of his dead father than his alive one. There are photos in which he looks younger, but all the ones with Elliot in, he looks pretty much exactly the same as he does now, same glasses/facial hair.
[close]

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2015, 06:50:16 pm »
I'm guessing Mr robot is Eliot's father it seems to obvious that there the Same person.
I'm literally never right about these things so he's definitely not his father haha.