Author Topic: The Leftovers  (Read 22020 times)

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
Re: The Leftovers
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2014, 09:21:41 am »
I literally have no idea what is going on in this show.

Finished watching the 1st season?

Anyways, don't worry. Probably neither does Lindelof.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2014, 09:32:01 am »
Finished watching the 1st season?

Anyways, don't worry. Probably neither does Lindelof.

Not even nearly finished. Don't know if I can

Episode three.... WTF
« Last Edit: October 3, 2014, 09:19:11 pm by red_Mark1980 »

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2014, 10:44:43 pm »
Just finished the entire series and i'm still not quite sure what is happening.

I hope this isn't just classic Lindelof, and there's actually answers planned. I really liked Nora, she was great
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 10:54:06 pm by Crosby Wych »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2014, 10:42:26 am »
Just finished the entire series and i'm still not quite sure what is happening.

I hope this isn't just classic Lindelof, and there's actually answers planned. I really liked Nora, she was great

Spoiler
Having read the book, there are big changes but also it ends having given no explanation of any of the mysteries - well, the main mystery, seeing as all the other mysteries are invented for the show. It doesn;t have the same end to the TV show but the events don't go any further than than the show already has.
[close]

Enough for me to stop watching.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2014, 11:23:50 am »
Enough for me to stop watching.

The creator has said they'll never explain why they went missing
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2014, 05:20:06 pm »
The creator has said they'll never explain why they went missing
Bit like Lost then?

Finally got around to watching this and really enjoyed it, although as a few have pointed to above, there better be some fucking payoff at the end!

Anyone got any ideas how long this is planned to run for?

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2014, 05:32:05 pm »
Bit like Lost then?

Finally got around to watching this and really enjoyed it, although as a few have pointed to above, there better be some fucking payoff at the end!

Anyone got any ideas how long this is planned to run for?

Not sure, but they're past the events in the book so the TV writers must have planned out what they are up to next I suppose.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #87 on: December 1, 2014, 12:22:52 am »
Two episodes in. My heads fucked already!

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #88 on: October 5, 2015, 04:36:03 am »
Well...that was certainly an unusual episode for a season opener. I'd like to think there is some grand plan, and it's not a rudderless mess, but...
« Last Edit: October 5, 2015, 04:41:08 am by Impolite King Brian Blessed »
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #89 on: October 5, 2015, 11:10:54 am »
Still bananas this show then?

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #90 on: October 6, 2015, 08:51:07 pm »
Only just realised this is back, off to download now.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 7, 2015, 08:55:15 am »
Well...that was certainly an unusual episode for a season opener. I'd like to think there is some grand plan, and it's not a rudderless mess, but...

Just watched the first 2/3rds of it...got interrupted...but still, WTF? :lmao

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #92 on: October 7, 2015, 11:43:37 am »
This back on Sky any time soon?

Offline Walk On

• Legacy Fan
  • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart ...
« Reply #93 on: October 7, 2015, 11:46:59 am »
This back on Sky any time soon?

Started on Monday (05-Oct). 
I'm sure its being repeated during the week and will be on-demand as well.
- Rebuilding the Bastion

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #94 on: October 7, 2015, 11:54:56 am »
Cheers, never saw any ads for it.  Another series to fill up the planner!

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 7, 2015, 02:08:54 pm »
Just watched the first 2/3rds of it...got interrupted...but still, WTF? :lmao
Yeah. It makes sense toward the end, but it's asking alot from a viewer like me who doesn't give a shit if it gents cancelled tomorrow.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #96 on: October 7, 2015, 03:33:18 pm »
i quite like the sheer barking mad surreal ambition of it, and the stubborn refusal to explain anything at all.

Spoiler
"and now, if you're confused so far, please enjoy two naked girls running through some undergrowth.

*bounce, bounce, bounce*

and now, normal service is resumed..."
[close]

wtf?
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 7, 2015, 04:18:43 pm »
Ok I just watched the rest of the episode...

Spoiler
I see it connect up now. So Kevin and Nora rock up and suddenly this town that never had any disappearances and suddenly we have missing people? I'm going to keep watching, but I'm not holding out much hope it will all make sense ;D

[close]

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 7, 2015, 04:23:11 pm »
That's the magic of Damon Fucking Lindelof.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 7, 2015, 04:32:07 pm »
That's the magic of Damon Fucking Lindelof.

Hahaha been there before. Can't believe he's hooked me again.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2015, 09:14:29 pm »
Anyone got a download link I can use for episode 2, can't find one anywhere online that works. Thanks.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2015, 10:20:01 pm »

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2015, 11:09:47 pm »
I loved the song over the credits. In case anyone's interested it's "Let The Mystery Be" by Iris DeMent

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nlaoR5m4L80" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nlaoR5m4L80</a>
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2015, 12:22:37 am »
Ep 2 -
Spoiler
Poor Kev - just when he thought his troubles were over when moving to the new town of Miracle it seems he may inherited his dad's ability to see dead people - and a bit of a shit that they can send you tumbling to the floor at any time! ;)  Love Patti - glad she's back, and the dog too.
[close]

It's me hooked for next week's ep 3.

Hope Eccleston has a bigger role this season than last, seems a waste of Janel Moloney's talents so far - hope she erm.. gets more to do soon.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2015, 08:38:30 pm »
So, anyone any clues/theories as to the very opening scene of the first episode (the woman giving birth in the wild, etc)?

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2015, 12:30:38 pm »
So, anyone any clues/theories as to the very opening scene of the first episode (the woman giving birth in the wild, etc)?

Was the rock fall that sealed off the cave caused by an earthquake? This would establish that the area is near a faultline.
In the modern setting you see a crack in the road sealed off in a perspex case. Then all the water disappears from the pool. One guy mentions fracking at one point I think.

Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2015, 07:25:29 pm »

from the horse's mouth:

Spoiler
What was your thought process behind that opening scene with that pregnant tribal woman?

I’m now going to talk about why I don’t want to talk about it. We talked about a number of different ways to start the second season of the show, but we talked a lot about thematically, what we wanted the season to be about. But also, what did we want the series to be about? We talked a lot about geography and a lot about meaning. We have this guy, Reza Aslan, who is a religious scholar and has written a number of amazing books on the origins of religions, consulting on the show. He was talking about these things called axis mundi, which is actually the title of the first episode, and then we started getting really pregnant (pardon the intentional pun) with this idea, [as if we] were basically tasked with creating a sort of overture to the season — like, this is what it sounds like when the orchestra is warming up and you’re getting a sense of all the things they’re going to play later but without entirely going for it. We thought, “What if there wasn’t a word of dialogue and the audience basically just has to affix meaning to it? Like, why did they put this here? What does it mean? Why is she pregnant? What’s up with the bird that she’s following? What’s that feather around her neck? Why earthquakes? What is their intention here?” It all started to connect into the story that we wanted to tell because I think it’s really interesting when people attach meaning to something.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/leftovers-opening-scene-explained-by-829327
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2015, 10:16:28 pm »
Thanks for that - clear as mud! ;D

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2015, 04:29:00 pm »
What is this shit? Using the same piano version of 'Where Is My Mind' that Mr Robot used? Do the producers not even watch other TV shows. Fucking hell. Late to the party, chaps. At least that ties in with a reference to Fight Club which is obviously an inspiration to that show, here it's just mopey keys, could have used anything. Fuck off you Leftovers.

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2015, 04:56:06 pm »
What is this shit? Using the same piano version of 'Where Is My Mind' that Mr Robot used? Do the producers not even watch other TV shows. Fucking hell. Late to the party, chaps. At least that ties in with a reference to Fight Club which is obviously an inspiration to that show, here it's just mopey keys, could have used anything. Fuck off you Leftovers.
It was also used in a film called 'It's Kind of a Funny Story' which came out back in 2010.
"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." - Kurt Vonnegut

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2015, 05:23:38 pm »
It was also used in a film called 'It's Kind of a Funny Story' which came out back in 2010.

Pixies must be coining it on the royalties ;D

Bah, still watching this though aren't I. The season has started quite well really. My beef's with the show's music bods, surely they should have spotted this and subbed it out when it became apparent another show had already beat them to using it.

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2015, 05:46:20 pm »

Bah, still watching this though aren't I. The season has started quite well really. My beef's with the show's music bods, surely they should have spotted this and subbed it out when it became apparent another show had already beat them to using it.
Heh! I actually noticed it on an advert a couple of times last night whilst the Rugby was on. I forget what the advert was for exactly.

I honestly wonder if it's not much of a consideration when it comes to music-selection really. I imagine the audiences for both shows are slightly different. Like, you watch both shows but I wouldn't be surprised if the audience for The Leftovers is slightly older maybe and perhaps there's a few people there who wouldn't really gravitate towards something like Mr Robot. So maybe they just thought that not many people would notice.

I was a big fan of a few episodes of season one of The Leftovers (especially the one that focused on Carrie Coon's character) but I've been a bit hesitant to watch season two so far. I've been reading a fair bit about Reza Aslan's role as an advisor of sorts to Damon Lindelof and I'm just very much not a fan of that fellow. Probably a naff reason to not watch a show.
"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." - Kurt Vonnegut

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2015, 06:05:41 pm »
Yeah perhaps you're right about audience crossover, I just watch them all ;D

It's a perfectly good reason to swerve the show if there's someone involved who you don't rate though, I can see why it might influence your thinking. I mean the bloke's called Aslan and he's a scholar of religion...get back to Narnia lad :P

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2015, 05:17:41 am »
Speaking of the music in that one, the drumming at the beginning sounded alot like Birdman.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2015, 09:16:21 am »
Speaking of the music in that one, the drumming at the beginning sounded alot like Birdman.

Yeah I thought that too! Weird jazz drums are one of the current "go-to"s for soundtrack makers it seems!

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2015, 09:13:32 pm »
brilliant episode.  i admire the show's confidence in playing the long game with absolutely everything, and the multiple views to the same events approach is a style of story telling i really like.

the music is excellent too.

growing into a really good show now.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2015, 10:51:24 am »
Caught up with the first three episodes, wish I hadn't cos now I have to wait every week!!

Absolutely love this show to be honest, it's slow and bonkers and I've no idea what's happening half the time but it's also utterly captivating television.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2015, 02:10:02 pm »

Best backing track I've heard in a telly show for years was on a Sons of Anarchy episode when they got Peggy Bundy to sing To Sir With Love. It was fucking boss. I heard Where Is My Mind on some shitty advert the other day Sam, and nearly fucking webbed the telly. I love the Pixies but that version makes me want to set fire to our piano.

Anyway, I absolutely love this show. Did not see the end of the last episode coming to be honest. This series is brewing nicely, and the backwards and forwards in times and location makes viewing even more compulsive.

Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2015, 02:13:07 pm »
Best backing track I've heard in a telly show for years was on a Sons of Anarchy episode when they got Peggy Bundy to sing To Sir With Love. It was fucking boss. I heard Where Is My Mind on some shitty advert the other day Sam, and nearly fucking webbed the telly. I love the Pixies but that version makes me want to set fire to our piano.

Anyway, I absolutely love this show. Did not see the end of the last episode coming to be honest. This series is brewing nicely, and the backwards and forwards in times and location makes viewing even more compulsive.

;D

I'm enjoying the show too, I like the way they've been switching the perspectives, and the way they've managed to transition well beyond the book while still keeping the same characters.