Author Topic: Halt and Catch Fire - New AMC Series  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
Halt and Catch Fire - New AMC Series
« on: June 3, 2014, 03:18:51 am »
Anyone else catch this? Premiered Sunday night and I just got around to watching it, but I quite enjoyed it. Set in Texas in the early 80's, it had elements reminiscent of three of recent television's best offerings: Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and The Americans. It's about a couple guys (think Don Draper and Walter White) who work at a middling software company in Dallas and secretly attempt to reverse engineer industry giant IBM's PC.

I read that it didn't do too well in the overnight ratings, but I think it's got quite a bit of potential.
Justice For The 96

Offline lostandfound

• Actually, just lost - might be in the wrong forum!
  • Main Stander
  • Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?
Re: Halt and Catch Fire - New AMC Series
« Reply #1 on: June 3, 2014, 07:49:38 am »
I'm gonna catch it tonight hopefully. I've enjoyed recent AMC works so I have big hopes for it.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2014, 03:44:27 am »
didn't really do anything for me.  the subject matter is so unglamorous that the attempt to make it dramatic almost seemed like a basic cable drama spoof at times. 

the walter white/don draper comparisons are spot on based on the pilot, but they appear to have been taken off the peg, like someone at AMC thought "by this time next year we'll have lost both our two best written, most successful shows... so let's take their main characters and put them together in another show about... whatever."

it didn't help that it chose to use some dreadful 80s music (unlike the americans, which got it right, musically).  and the girl (presumably written with words like 'feisty' in mind) is incredibly annoying.

i'll watch a few more episodes to see if it improves, but it certainly wasn't an auspicious start.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2014, 03:46:17 am by sideshowme »
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2014, 10:37:56 am »
I found it interesting enough to go on watching it. Just a pilot though.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 6, 2014, 02:09:39 am »
didn't really do anything for me.  the subject matter is so unglamorous that the attempt to make it dramatic almost seemed like a basic cable drama spoof at times. 

the walter white/don draper comparisons are spot on based on the pilot, but they appear to have been taken off the peg, like someone at AMC thought "by this time next year we'll have lost both our two best written, most successful shows... so let's take their main characters and put them together in another show about... whatever."

it didn't help that it chose to use some dreadful 80s music (unlike the americans, which got it right, musically).  and the girl (presumably written with words like 'feisty' in mind) is incredibly annoying.

i'll watch a few more episodes to see if it improves, but it certainly wasn't an auspicious start.

And you and I are back to form!

Quite liked the female engineer myself. Thought hers was one of the better performances of the episode, but it's obviously to early to make any definitive judgments. Agree on the music, but then again it's unfair to compare anything to The Americans when it comes to music because they're unparalleled in that department.
Justice For The 96

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #5 on: June 6, 2014, 05:27:52 am »
And you and I are back to form!

Quite liked the female engineer myself. Thought hers was one of the better performances of the episode, but it's obviously to early to make any definitive judgments. Agree on the music, but then again it's unfair to compare anything to The Americans when it comes to music because they're unparalleled in that department.

:D  though i can't recall exactly what the 'form' was.  we disagreed on the decline of parks and rec, but other than that, don't we tend to agree?  i watched this show purely based on the thread you started here.

the girl was one big cliche, and an annoying one at that.  and the show's not even good at capturing the era.  mad men makes me wish i was in the 60s.  the americans does the same for the 80s.  this just makes me glad that i was too young to remember that decade.

but still, it's only a pilot, complete with heavy exposition etc.  maybe it'll improve.

also the title is VERY try-hard.  mad men explained the title with a title card at the beginning too, but at least a) the title was snappy and cool anyway and b) the explanation was actually funny.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 6, 2014, 05:51:28 pm »
:D  though i can't recall exactly what the 'form' was.  we disagreed on the decline of parks and rec, but other than that, don't we tend to agree?  i watched this show purely based on the thread you started here.

Oh we always come down on opposite sides of the fence, you and I. True Detective, Parks and Rec's "decline," minor plot points in The Americans. You're right, though, we tend to appreciate the same fare.

the girl was one big cliche, and an annoying one at that.  and the show's not even good at capturing the era.  mad men makes me wish i was in the 60s.  the americans does the same for the 80s.  this just makes me glad that i was too young to remember that decade.

but still, it's only a pilot, complete with heavy exposition etc.  maybe it'll improve.

also the title is VERY try-hard.  mad men explained the title with a title card at the beginning too, but at least a) the title was snappy and cool anyway and b) the explanation was actually funny.

That's an interesting point about the time period. Although, I think one could reasonably argue that your appraisal perhaps makes this the most accurate representation of the decade as nobody in his/her right mind should want to live in the 80's.

Yeah, not a huge fan of the title either, but I suppose it makes sense considering their actions in the pilot.
Justice For The 96

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #7 on: October 3, 2017, 09:57:50 am »
Episode 7

Spoiler
:(  :'(

Very well shot scene. Goddamn. I knew it was coming but heartbreaking.
[close]

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #8 on: October 3, 2017, 03:04:48 pm »
Wifey and I quite like it, we've slowly been working through the episodes over the last 18 months or so when there's nothing else to watch.

It's quite close in a broad paint pastiche way to much that we remember (we are both from that period in the industry) in the 70's and 80's when the technology was evolving incredibly quickly and people were taking risks on what would become dominant tech and make money.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #9 on: October 3, 2017, 06:44:12 pm »
Episode 7

Spoiler
:(  :'(

Very well shot scene. Goddamn. I knew it was coming but heartbreaking.
[close]

Yep.

Spoiler
That was always on the cards, wasn't it? They handled it well, and shot it extremely well. I think they will get the band back together now and see out the re-launch.
[close]

I've always loved this show from the off, flaws and all, and that episode was a high mark.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #10 on: October 4, 2017, 10:40:54 am »
Lee Pace's character development is  :thumbup

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 01:06:39 pm »
We reached the end unfortunately. Lovely finish full of touching moments, painful truths and nostalgia.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 04:07:54 pm »
This last season is on my binge list.

Sad to see they will be no more.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 06:44:06 pm »
the final half of the final season was superb..poignant and full of food for thought about life, love and friendship...had a proper satisfying finale too (something so many other shows have failed to do) beautifully written and gave a genuine sense of closure...probably the right time to call it a day - the arc of the story had reached something of a natural end - but have to say I'll miss the characters...they grew on me more and more as they matured and the seasons progressed ....

excellent, spot-on summary of the show in Wired magazine...includes spoilers so avoid if you're yet to see all episodes

https://www.wired.com/story/halt-and-catch-fire-finale-message/
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 10:17:02 am »
So happy they let them have a final season thus having a proper ending. IIRC it was too close to get the axe.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 01:28:05 pm »
Been watching this a while but only just getting to the end of season 3. Love this show. Every character is interesting and they nostalgic music, tech and culture hits you in the feels.

Not sure if mentioned as I have skipped last few messages on the thread in case of spoilers, but also has the best intro music for ages.
JFT97

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 06:57:43 pm »
Been watching this a while but only just getting to the end of season 3. Love this show. Every character is interesting and they nostalgic music, tech and culture hits you in the feels.

Not sure if mentioned as I have skipped last few messages on the thread in case of spoilers, but also has the best intro music for ages.

This and "Stranger Things" are monstrous for killing you with nostalgia. I didn't even like heavy synth back then, but it really gets to me when I watch these.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 05:17:46 pm »
Binged on this last week, not sure why as it's a little tiresome at times. Season 4 left to watch and I'm just not that arsed, can understand it's appeal to some. Think I went in with the mindset of just getting it out of the way of backlog TV to watch.
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 05:26:11 pm »
On episode 5 of season and i cannot believe what Cameron has just done in episode 4,every season she does something selfish that makes me want to jump through the screen...... :butt :butt :butt :butt :butt

I really hate Cameron Howe. :no

Seriously i have to say i've never hated a tv character as much as her,she's selfish,stubborn and and frustrating AF. :no
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 09:50:03 am »
Clam down lad.  :P

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 6, 2020, 10:52:25 am »
Just started season 1. Not bad. The two male lead characters are unlikeable tho.