Author Topic: Anyone here play the Guitar?  (Read 118366 times)

Offline Jin

• ky
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Anyone here play the Guitar?
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2007, 02:25:10 am »
One more thing bradigor, (Happy brithday for Tuesday btw :wave) , is to really stick with it once you start learning. Playing guitar is really alot of fun and its a rewarding skill that you will be able to use all your life, not to mention girls really dig guitarists haha. :D I've taught a few friends over the years who've just given up because of the learning curve (and possibly my shit teaching skills :P ), except this one mate who has no musical ability at all. He persisted with it and hes actually quite decent at it and hes always playing it now

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2007, 07:57:48 am »
Sorry Barney, did my search in Off Topic :wave

Offline AndoNagasaki

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • the devil makes good use for these hands of mine
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2007, 12:16:59 pm »
Take a trip out to Frailers in Runcorn.  Got a huge selection of new and used acoustics and electrics, ranging from learner prices to some serious money.

He's got a website with the current price-list on too.
the trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin I keep sliding off to the side

Offline BrettD

• Legacy Fan
    • Want an accessible website? Click here!
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2007, 03:52:19 pm »
Just been mucking around with Guitar Pro. Looks like it's gonna take some serious time to master it but picked up the basics quickly enough. I can see why people consider it a powerful and useful tool.

Spent about 30 minutes trying to re-create the new Silversun Pickups single, Lazy Eye with some success.

Just got 55,000 tabs for it as well.

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2007, 06:15:48 pm »

Offline neilers

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2007, 08:26:16 am »
Been reading this thread, made me realise its something I have always wanted to do, Bought a cheapish accoustic and have booked 4 lessons starting next Monday to get the basics under my belt.

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
  • I'd walk a million miles...
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2007, 07:32:32 pm »
Been reading this thread, made me realise its something I have always wanted to do, Bought a cheapish accoustic and have booked 4 lessons starting next Monday to get the basics under my belt.

Good luck mate, i been going six months now, very much a novice still but can put some tunes together ok

only advice i can give is, practice practice practice, and when you dont think you're getting anywhere, practice some more, it's so rewarding when it all clicks!

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2007, 12:45:25 am »
I am 26 on Tuesday (yay me). I have decided I need to learn a new skill, something to relax with, so I have decided I want to learn the guitar.

I need some good advice......Best way to learn, equipment, patience etc

I don't expect to be doing the Scar Tissue solo in a day or anything so know it will take time. Ideally I want to learn electric, Lo wants to try acoustic.

So what should I get (needs to be fairly cheap.....are the ones you get in Cash Converters and places ok? are there any on ebay?)

What are the best places to get lessons? Can you self teach?

Will my RAWK daddy give me tips?

Only just noticed this.  ;D

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2007, 08:26:13 am »

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2007, 03:25:35 pm »
;D
If you're really serious about learning how to play, I might just know someone who maybe able to help you along.  ;)

Offline neilers

• Main Stander
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2007, 11:54:03 pm »
first lesson monday night -getting nervous now.

plectrum advice  please  - im using an acoustic guitar with a .88mm plectrum do you think thats the best plectrum for a beginner?

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: September 24, 2007, 12:10:57 am »

Plecs, I'd recommend flexible ones like Jim Dunlop's.

Gibson's and those type crack and ping out of your hand.

Can be embarassing when it happens, cause there's never any warning... ;D

87:13

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2007, 05:06:23 pm »
Jim dunlops are great i use the .73
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2007, 01:19:57 pm »
Jim dunlops are great i use the .73
I use the 88mm.

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2007, 05:52:11 pm »
Jim Dunlop nylon standard .38 or .46 are the ones I use when strumming acoustic guitar.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2007, 06:04:02 pm »

Used to make em cutting up old butter tubs ;D

87:13

Offline jackellis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2007, 06:13:13 pm »
Used to make em cutting up old butter tubs ;D

I cut up an old CD when I ran out of plecs once!
Just think- next time I shoot someone, I could be arrested.

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2007, 06:37:32 pm »
Think I'll retake up learning the guitar due to this inspiring thread - thanks guys!

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2008, 02:50:59 pm »
Like many on this thread, I started to play the guitar last year, in my 50's I may add.

My wife bought me a book for Christmas, which I just finished reading, and can recommend wholeheartedly, especially as it relates a lot to my experiences, and I'm sure to all the guitar "newbies" who've frequented this, and other guitar threads.

It's called Guitar Man (a six string odyssey)  OR 'You Love That Guitar More Than You Love Me' by Will Hodgkinson.

Will dreamt of being a guitar legend but never got around to it.  Now in his thirties and married with children, he decides to learn the guitar, start a band and play a gig before it's too late (where does that leave me?  no gigging yet though!) During his journey, he picks up tips from Bert Jansch, Johnny Marr, Roger McGuinn and PJ Harvey, and attempts to play Davey Graham's "Anji".  Will his debut gig end in bum notes, 'musical differences" and disaster?

Enjoy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 10:39:08 pm by JP-65 »

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2008, 10:32:14 pm »
Ivgot an old guitar in my room, never played it , it was my sisters.Ive actually thought about picking it up a bit lately and giving it a go, taking in chords from the net and stuff. I really am a novice, ive played it every day for the past 6 days for at least an hour a night and i have to say, it is extremely difficult though i expected nothing less. But ive picked up a few basic chords and downladed some tabs for easy oasis tunes and the like and am slowly getting some decent sound out of it. Im determined to persist because if i can get the begining of one or two tunes out of it already, i cant imagine the enjoyment i will get when i can play one full song.Its early days and I cant wait and just hope i persist long enough to see it through, im well determined though, played it tonight for three hours and one of my fingers is bleeding! the rest have some scab like blisters on them. :wave
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2008, 10:44:04 pm »
Ivgot an old guitar in my room, never played it , it was my sisters.Ive actually thought about picking it up a bit lately and giving it a go, taking in chords from the net and stuff. I really am a novice, ive played it every day for the past 6 days for at least an hour a night and i have to say, it is extremely difficult though i expected nothing less. But ive picked up a few basic chords and downladed some tabs for easy oasis tunes and the like and am slowly getting some decent sound out of it. Im determined to persist because if i can get the begining of one or two tunes out of it already, i cant imagine the enjoyment i will get when i can play one full song.Its early days and I cant wait and just hope i persist long enough to see it through, im well determined though, played it tonight for three hours and one of my fingers is bleeding! the rest have some scab like blisters on them. :wave

Roady
Keep it up it's worth it, you just need to get those fingers hardened up and you'll be OK.  Here's a recent thread where I documented some useful stuff, hope some of it is of use to you.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=203370.0

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2008, 10:45:11 pm »
Try putting some lighter gauge strings on. And good luck..  :wave

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2008, 10:46:50 pm »
Try putting some lighter gauge strings on. And good luck..  :wave

Terry,
You've got quite a group hoping to be as good as you (and Bobby Fury) some day!

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2008, 10:47:55 pm »

Terry,
You've got quite a group hoping to be as good as you (and Bobby Fury) some day!
You will, if you keep at it mate.. :)

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2008, 10:52:47 pm »
You will, if you keep at it mate.. :)

8 months now, I play scales for an hour every day, and can play a fair selection of Beatles tunes......have to say Guitar Pro is the best thing for improving your sense of timing in a song, playing along with it forces you to get better.

Still struggle with Barre Chords though.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2008, 10:53:16 pm »
Roady
Keep it up it's worth it, you just need to get those fingers hardened up and you'll be OK.  Here's a recent thread where I documented some useful stuff, hope some of it is of use to you.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=203370.0

cheers mate, i fully intend to. Im 32 in April and have gone on and on to long about wanting to play the guitar. To be honest as mch as it is difficult i already get delighted when i get something simple right. So i fully intend to keep it, cheers for the encouragement.i guess its just patience at the end of the day, and ive had some dry patches with the ladies now and then so ive plenty of patience!!! nah seriously though im enjoying it immensely, yes its hard at first, obviously still is and will be for months, but as soon as ive got my first song, then i cant wait! this thread has been a help too to be honest.some good advise. thanks, ladies and gents. will keep you all posted with progress.

Offline AndoNagasaki

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • the devil makes good use for these hands of mine
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2008, 07:55:52 am »
Good luck Roady & keep at it.  :wave
the trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin I keep sliding off to the side

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2008, 12:22:07 pm »
Now this is what to aspire to, absolutely amazing....Sir Richard Bishop playing Raga Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoJq2eKK3Fc

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2008, 01:03:04 pm »
ouch my fingers hurt! i cant put the guitar down though, a good sign i guess, just hope it continues

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2008, 04:36:38 pm »
Super glue on the finger tips hardens them roady, but dont stick em together ;)
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2008, 05:23:48 pm »
Good Luck with it Roady

been at it just under a year now, am still pretty shite but i absolutely love it and its like a drug, soon as i get in from work first thing i do is pick the guitar up and have a little practice

a tip which may help you regarding chord changes i found worked brilliantly for me, pick a couple of chords from a tune you want to learn, what i did was just sit and repeatedly change between these two chords for a good half hour every night, did it constantly for a good week and before i knew it i was getting it bang on without looking what my fingers were doing, you'll soon be doing it without even thinking about it, it's all to do with muscle memory in the fingers apparently, boring as hell but it worked a treat for me!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 05:36:48 pm by LymmRed »

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2008, 12:03:51 am »

been at it just under a year now, am still pretty shite but i absolutely love it and its like a drug, soon as i get in from work first thing i do is pick the guitar up and have a little practice

a tip which may help you regarding chord changes i found worked brilliantly for me, pick a couple of chords from a tune you want to learn, what i did was just sit and repeatedly change between these two chords for a good half hour every night, did it constantly for a good week and before i knew it i was getting it bang on without looking what my fingers were doing, you'll soon be doing it without even thinking about it, it's all to do with muscle memory in the fingers apparently, boring as hell but it worked a treat for me!
Some very good advice there. When I first started learning/playing I'd be in school and pick up rulers and picture them as a fretboard, and practice chord shapes that I'd learned to help me memorise them. Or from time to time I'd air practice (this is how air guitar was discovered)  :P my chord shapes and change them as if I was really playing.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 12:05:27 am by Terry De Niro »

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2008, 01:07:16 pm »
Some very good advice there. When I first started learning/playing I'd be in school and pick up rulers and picture them as a fretboard, and practice chord shapes that I'd learned to help me memorise them. Or from time to time I'd air practice (this is how air guitar was discovered)  :P my chord shapes and change them as if I was really playing.

Cheers Terry, Never thought i'd see the day when i'd be giving helpful tips on learning how to play a guitar to be honest

by the way Terry, do you have any tips on how to sing and play at the same time? still can't get my head round it!

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2008, 03:27:40 pm »

by the way Terry, do you have any tips on how to sing and play at the same time? still can't get my head round it!
Practice, practice and more practice. It will happen eventually, you will feel comfortable and you're confidence will grow. Pick a fairly easy song to start with, even if it's a shit song, then work from there.

Good luck..  :wave

Offline simo77

• Main Stander
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2008, 06:03:15 pm »
Some excellent advice there lymmred, I think we started about the same time mate and you seem to enjoy it as much as I do. Gonna try that chord change thing you suggested as I know where they are but getting from one to the other seems a bit stuttered at times.

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scousers rule the country.
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2008, 07:02:27 pm »
I have got a book I am reading through, and I was thinking is there any point learning like 1st string gutair notes and signs, or just go on to learning the chords?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 07:08:48 pm by dowling10 »

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2008, 07:11:52 pm »
I have got a book I am reading through, and I was thinking is there any point learning like 1st string gutair notes and signs, or just go on to learning the chords?

If you like playing riffs/leads you'll need to learn and practice scales.

I've done the same as LymmRed in terms of putting time in practising especially doing it without looking, but focussed on scales more than chords, and am getting pretty decent on the fretboard now.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2008, 07:26:03 pm »
I've strummed the guitar for a few years, and I wrote three little songs today...

"Three c*nts in a Boardroom."
"Two Yankee Twats and Their Little Clown Snake."
"Who Ate My Ginsters?"
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."