Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3305756 times)

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #24000 on: August 4, 2020, 04:48:13 pm »
Someone tell Craig it's Nikey. Just like how you pronounce the name of the goddess it is named after.  :butt
For a culture that wants to put a "y" or "ie" on everything, the adherence to pronouncing it Nik seems a little strange.

Nope. Craig is correct. Its Nik.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24001 on: August 4, 2020, 06:50:39 pm »
Nice interview with the Alisson, he's so proud of the Gaucho barbecue, that's good stuff  :lickin, and their cowboy culture.
Great to hear about the camaraderie between our goalkeepers. 

PS just read Craig's email - great to hear about TAW and the club with Nike working on supporting the community initiative in Toxteth, fantastic - well in to all involved

And a great Cup of Tea interview with Earl Jenkins the inspirational football organizer in L8. He gives a shout out to a few boss L8 footballers including Smiler - great player him from back in the day.

« Last Edit: August 6, 2020, 09:32:17 pm by kavah »

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24002 on: August 5, 2020, 11:46:30 pm »
Yep, I mean it's named after Adi Dassler - the clue is literally there in his name!

Run DMC have a lot to answer for
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline phoenician

• Kopite
« Reply #24003 on: August 6, 2020, 05:35:28 am »
Someone tell Craig it's Nikey. Just like how you pronounce the name of the goddess it is named after:butt
For a culture that wants to put a "y" or "ie" on everything, the adherence to pronouncing it Nik seems a little strange.

That would be 'Nee-kay' rather than 'Nike-e'.

But different strokes etc. Its culture, innit.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24004 on: August 6, 2020, 01:47:16 pm »
I agree. That is how you pronounce Adidas and you pronounce Nike how I said it. Do not really understand the cognitive dissonance in listening to one company in how to pronounce their name, but not the other. But I'll stop. Just had to get that off my chest. 

Love the Wrap. Keep on keeping on.
 :wave
Nah your wrong.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #24005 on: August 7, 2020, 12:14:39 pm »
It’s not often TAW lads go in hard on a potential signing, but many seem to have given Lewis a good kicking in the various shows - particularly Dans Austin and Morgan who were brutal.

Will be interesting to see if they are proven correct.

Offline Lidmanen

• Main Stander
« Reply #24006 on: August 7, 2020, 12:39:47 pm »
Listening to The Weekender and just a note for anyone appearing on a show, if you've got screaming kids nearby while you're on the call, maybe put yourself on mute. It gets better after the first 5 mins to be fair.

Good show as well, especially the Anelka chat.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2020, 01:12:33 pm by Lidmanen »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #24007 on: August 7, 2020, 12:51:43 pm »
Always good to hear royhendo get a name check! The Andy Robertson whisperer! :D

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #24008 on: August 8, 2020, 08:50:13 pm »
Listened to the gutter from Thursday at midday.

Just woke up.

Leanne Prescott zzz

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #24009 on: August 8, 2020, 08:52:16 pm »
Nice interview with the Alisson, he's so proud of the Gaucho barbecue, that's good stuff  :lickin, and their cowboy culture.

PS just read Craig's email - great to hear about TAW and the club with Nike working on supporting the community initiative in Toxteth, fantastic - well in to all involved

And a great Cup of Tea interview with Earl Jenkins the inspirational football organizer in L8. He gives a shout out to a few boss L8 footballers including Smiler - great player him from back in the day.

Good, whether they are proved to be completely wrong or bang on. I just want to hear people tell us what they think. Not arsed about listening to 5 lads give the same view albeit worded slightly differently

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #24010 on: August 8, 2020, 10:33:39 pm »

Boss singer too. I'll give that cup of tea a listen. I'm from that neck of the woods. Many cracking players round Tocky back then. Dingle Rail won a couple of Sunday National Cups. Ta
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #24011 on: August 9, 2020, 08:59:44 am »
Good, whether they are proved to be completely wrong or bang on. I just want to hear people tell us what they think. Not arsed about listening to 5 lads give the same view albeit worded slightly differently
TAW isn’t primarily about giving opposing opinions or having significantly differing view points to simply make it interesting. Go to TalkSPORT or AFTV for that type of tiresome listen-bait. Sharing opinions but unpicking issues to develop insight and understanding is a big feature of what TAW does, which is why it often stands out.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #24012 on: August 9, 2020, 01:25:28 pm »
Went down a deep Now rabbithole after AFQ.

29 was my first. Music peaked in about 1998, judging on Now tracklists.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #24013 on: August 9, 2020, 05:16:34 pm »
Went down a deep Now rabbithole after AFQ.

29 was my first. Music peaked in about 1998, judging on Now tracklists.

NOW 18 was the first i had. Had the Beautiful South and a few Stock Aitken Waterman hits. My brother have a NOW10 and I feel I can remember half of them still!

Offline Gerrards Boots

• Boys Pen
« Reply #24014 on: August 9, 2020, 06:11:48 pm »
Listening to the 'Jurgen's Summer' podcast, I thought it was interesting that they all thought that the 5 subs rule would've been kept on for next season. I always thought the PL clubs (especially the mid to bottom of the table clubs) would want to go back to the 3 subs rule.

IMO going back to 3 subs benefits LFC, as we usually tire teams out with the way we play and now the teams can't make wholesale changes to freshen things up.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #24015 on: August 10, 2020, 03:22:38 pm »
Enjoying the season review pods so far - the latest one about Qatar in particular, it was just a little bit different and interesting hearing all the background from different viewpoints to the travel and what it was like over there for those of us who didn't go (still annoyed with my "sensible" self over that one!) as well as stuff about the game itself.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #24016 on: August 10, 2020, 03:53:38 pm »
An actual transfer and no Gutmann.

Doesn't sit right with me, this.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 04:06:36 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #24017 on: August 10, 2020, 04:11:28 pm »
An actual transfer and no Gutmann.

Doesn't sit right with me, this.
It always happens... he’s usually in a tiled bathroom somewhere  on the Med when we sign someone ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #24018 on: August 10, 2020, 06:47:57 pm »
It always happens... he’s usually in a tiled bathroom somewhere  on the Med when we sign someone ;D

Hahaha very true! The man himself has confirmed it'll be out tomorrow though, tiled surroundings or otherwise.
Twitter | Blog

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #24019 on: August 10, 2020, 09:43:35 pm »
I am a bit behind with the gutter so I swerved the Jamal Lewis one as it wasn’t happening.

Offline Lidmanen

• Main Stander
« Reply #24020 on: August 11, 2020, 12:42:18 pm »
Good main show this week. Particularly enjoyed Jamie Webster talking about how rubbish he is with technology seconds before his internet started cutting out.

Was difficult to relate to the season ticket chat though. As someone who has been on the waiting list for nearly 20 years, I was trying not to play my tiny violin too loudly.

Nice to see a section on the women's game too. As gutting as it was to be relegated, I'm hoping the adversity of it all will actually increase interest in what the women's team is doing this year.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #24021 on: August 11, 2020, 01:16:05 pm »

Was difficult to relate to the season ticket chat though. As someone who has been on the waiting list for nearly 20 years, I was trying not to play my tiny violin too loudly.

Not listened yet but might avoid as just get wound up. Cant help but think if some of them were in a position whereby they didnt know someone who has "lent" them a ST for x amount of years then they'd view the whole ST issue differently
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24022 on: August 11, 2020, 01:24:28 pm »
Listening to the 'Jurgen's Summer' podcast, I thought it was interesting that they all thought that the 5 subs rule would've been kept on for next season. I always thought the PL clubs (especially the mid to bottom of the table clubs) would want to go back to the 3 subs rule.

IMO going back to 3 subs benefits LFC, as we usually tire teams out with the way we play and now the teams can't make wholesale changes to freshen things up.

I also think it benefits us in the way that 5 Subs gives City a massive advantage.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #24023 on: August 11, 2020, 01:42:15 pm »
The five sub thing was too much of a fundamental change to the fabric of football matches. 50% changes to the outfield felt inorganic. Glad it’s gone.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #24024 on: August 11, 2020, 02:50:17 pm »
NOW 18 was the first i had. Had the Beautiful South and a few Stock Aitken Waterman hits. My brother have a NOW10 and I feel I can remember half of them still!

Now 7 for me.....Pete Wylie (Sinful)

Can also still remember most of the tracks !
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #24025 on: August 11, 2020, 02:53:34 pm »
Enjoyed the Robbie Fowler Cup of Tea, always good to hear God's view on things. :thumbup
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #24026 on: August 11, 2020, 03:47:23 pm »

Now 32 was the first (and possibly only) one of them that I bought, and to be honest, I bought it primarily because it had Gangsta's Paradise on the track list and 11 year old me was a bit obsessed with it.
Twitter | Blog

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #24027 on: August 11, 2020, 04:59:07 pm »
Idea for a programme...

It could be argued that it exists in various forms across the suite of shows TAW have put out, but I think a root and branch forensic analysis of Klopp's granular and razor sharp squad build since summer 2016 would be a good listen. It's been a piece-by-piece construction over four years that's seen a fairly lop-sided squad be transformed into a perfectly balanced collection of outstanding footballers. Alongside the personnel changes, it would also give opportunity to bring together analysis of the cultural and tactical influence Klopp has masterminded since he was appointed.

It probably needs several shows to do it justice, but I think it would be something TAW would do really well.

Just a thought...and...you're welcome.

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24028 on: August 11, 2020, 07:24:32 pm »
Must not, repeat not, turn into an all night rave.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24029 on: August 11, 2020, 07:44:10 pm »
Emma Sanders on talking Reds claiming Wijnaldum might want to move clubs as he isn’t the first name on the team sheet? I mean, he started 41 out of 44 matches in the PL and CL this season with a couple of sub appearances in?

I get that not everyone is into Liverpool to the extent we are (not sure if she’s actually a Liverpool fan?) but at least do a fact check before the show? There’s a couple of reasons why Gini may want to leave but appearances isn’t going to be one of them.

As far as midfield options go, Gini is pretty much the first name on the team sheet.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #24030 on: August 11, 2020, 07:48:16 pm »
Must not, repeat not, turn into an all night rave.
Indeed, but would be nice if Jet from Gladiators could be on hosting duties.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #24031 on: August 11, 2020, 08:22:56 pm »
a root and branch forensic analysis of Klopp's granular and razor sharp squad build since summer 2016 would be a good listen.
I like that idea.  Related, I wonder whether a 2015/16 WWCH would work?  It’s just long enough ago now to feel like a materially different era, close enough that all memories are first-hand (and wouldn’t necessarily suffer for the absence of Mike Nevin), and there were plenty of ups & downs.  On the other hand the key moments - Spurs, West Brom, Sevilla - do still crop up plenty day-to-day now.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #24032 on: August 11, 2020, 10:46:53 pm »
I like that idea.  Related, I wonder whether a 2015/16 WWCH would work?  It’s just long enough ago now to feel like a materially different era, close enough that all memories are first-hand (and wouldn’t necessarily suffer for the absence of Mike Nevin), and there were plenty of ups & downs.  On the other hand the key moments - Spurs, West Brom, Sevilla - do still crop up plenty day-to-day now.
On HotMic last week, Neil was asked about WWCH. He essentially suggested they’re canning the nostalgia stuff for a bit as they went in hard during lockdown with ‘On this day’.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #24033 on: August 11, 2020, 11:11:37 pm »
On HotMic last week, Neil was asked about WWCH. He essentially suggested they’re canning the nostalgia stuff for a bit as they went in hard during lockdown with ‘On this day’.
Makes sense.  They were really good actually, looking back I did get disillusioned when the footy came back and they switched to reviewing last night’s Southampton v Burnley or whatever.

Offline PaulD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Some things are more important .......
« Reply #24034 on: August 12, 2020, 08:10:22 pm »
The Agony hour today is a 'laugh out loud' funny hour where the least you do is giggle and snigger! 8)

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24035 on: August 12, 2020, 09:31:58 pm »
The Agony hour today is a 'laugh out loud' funny hour where the least you do is giggle and snigger! 8)

Fucking brilliant that, had me in tears at points.

Offline Shooter

• Anny Roader
« Reply #24036 on: August 15, 2020, 01:11:14 am »
It’s a real shame that TAW’s twitter page has turned in to one of those banter accounts. I get why, because it generates clicks/retweets and gets their name out there, but it’s just so cringe and goes against what they’ve always presented themselves to be.

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #24037 on: August 15, 2020, 04:59:53 pm »
It’s a real shame that TAW’s twitter page has turned in to one of those banter accounts. I get why, because it generates clicks/retweets and gets their name out there, but it’s just so cringe and goes against what they’ve always presented themselves to be.

Fucking hell.

Totally agree. Absolutely embarrassing

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #24038 on: August 18, 2020, 11:52:35 am »
The main show yesterday was a very good listen. Top line up, really enjoy listening to Damien Kavanagah and RAWK’s finest, Phil.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24039 on: August 18, 2020, 02:25:29 pm »
Neil's email about Danilo and Cancelo was very good today, and they're still very good in general.

On a separate note, I do think he's stuck on the age groups of the squad though. It's not so big an issue that it needs to be addressed now for the sake of addressing it.