Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3300167 times)

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #22680 on: January 10, 2020, 10:05:26 am »
Slight difference equates to different rules though?

I think mabe were at cross purposes.
Lallana in Pyjamas suggested that only feet can be offside outside the area. I agreed with him

So the lower league linesmen follow this rule. If a linesman can see if someones feet are in front,in a split second, then I dont see how its anymore difficult to judge than heads and shoulders being being in front when the players in the box
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22681 on: January 10, 2020, 11:18:01 am »
Dan Morgan*

Sorry, yes.

Think Dan's great btw, just thought it was an interesting example of something being so sure of something despite it having no real basis in fact. Traore was usually a sub last year, but he's absolutely a starter for them this year. And Espirito Santo seems to absolutely love him.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:21:10 am by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22682 on: January 10, 2020, 12:00:05 pm »
this tweet sums it up for me atm

https://twitter.com/northsealee/status/1214704586000388096?s=20

She does about one show a week, sometimes two, one of which has nothing to do with football. Not liking the host of Wildcards and some AFQs to the point you cancel your whole subscription is a bit odd really.

Hardly like she’s popping up on the review and the Friday show even if that is your general feeling.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22683 on: January 10, 2020, 12:20:58 pm »
Dan Austin on Adama Traore was a bit weird. Fair enough not rating him, but he was absolutely adamant that he "barely plays, not even a starter for them."

Amazing how opinions can be formed from complete nonsense, because a quick check shows he's featured in 20 of 21 league games and started all but three of them. Presumably he thinks the same about Salah, who's only featured in 17 league games this season.

Really sounded like someone who'd last watched Traore at Middlesbrough three seasons ago — and absolutely fair enough if he just doesn't rate him, but pulling completely made up stats out of his arse makes him sound like a bit of a dope. NES has him playing the best football of his career at the moment, and he's extremely difficult to play against, hence us triple teaming him when he came on against, and he still caused havoc. Not to mention turning the game against City singlehandedly.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 12:23:23 pm by lamonti »

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #22684 on: January 10, 2020, 12:48:28 pm »
this tweet sums it up for me atm

https://twitter.com/northsealee/status/1214704586000388096?s=20

Fucking hell. If I ever end up like that I hope someone tells me to pack it in.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Kopite
« Reply #22685 on: January 10, 2020, 12:57:15 pm »
She does about one show a week, sometimes two, one of which has nothing to do with football. Not liking the host of Wildcards and some AFQs to the point you cancel your whole subscription is a bit odd really.

Hardly like she’s popping up on the review and the Friday show even if that is your general feeling.
Agree with this.  TAW has plenty of different podcasts with different contributors that it makes no sense for people to cancel a subscription if they don't like one person.  I think the only way that would be valid is if the contributor they didn't like was Neil and if they didn't like him, then I'm not sure why they signed up in the first place!

If you don't like Amelia, don't listen to Wildcards.  You should be fine with almost every other show.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #22686 on: January 10, 2020, 01:16:18 pm »
Agree with this.  TAW has plenty of different podcasts with different contributors that it makes no sense for people to cancel a subscription if they don't like one person.  I think the only way that would be valid is if the contributor they didn't like was Neil and if they didn't like him, then I'm not sure why they signed up in the first place!

If you don't like Amelia, don't listen to Wildcards.  You should be fine with almost every other show.

It's just weird that I could probably list the people who've been the subject of most "I don't like" nonsense

Sam, Steph, Mel, Emilia.

Am I missing someone obvious?  Not seen Lizzy getting any stick so no doubt the white blokes in the 40's (who I will join) will point to that as it's not misogyny

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22687 on: January 10, 2020, 01:19:49 pm »

Agreed.  I only cancelled my subscription when I reached the tipping point of there being more contributors  that I had no interest in than those that I did.

Even then there was nothing particularly personal about it or individuals that I really disliked, like those bizarre Emilia Bona tweets above.  Just too many people whose views I didn't care for, so I stepped away from it.

I expect I'll sign back up again in a few months and see if anything clicks for me again, or use the TAW app tokens to have a dabble.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 01:21:49 pm by thekitkatshuffler »
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22688 on: January 10, 2020, 01:21:06 pm »
It's just weird that I could probably list the people who've been the subject of most "I don't like" nonsense

Sam, Steph, Mel, Emilia.

Am I missing someone obvious?  Not seen Lizzy getting any stick so no doubt the white blokes in the 40's (who I will join) will point to that as it's not misogyny

I don't like at least two of the male contributors if that helps?

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22689 on: January 10, 2020, 01:29:18 pm »
Saying you will cancel your subscription because of one contributor is like the people who post comments on MailOnline about cancelling their BBC licence fee because you don't agree with who won Bake Off.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #22690 on: January 10, 2020, 01:36:12 pm »
I don't like at least two of the male contributors if that helps?

Obviously people will dislike some.

I've not collected all the data on it, but from what I've read on here and on Twitter most of the extreme, ridiculous "x has no place on here" is directed at a certain section of society.

You can not like Person X, but no one is making frankly ridiculous statements about cancelling or how they turn off podcasts whenever they are on unless Person X, happens to be female. Do you disagree with what I've said?

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22691 on: January 10, 2020, 02:05:28 pm »
You're probably right, yeah. I'm sure I have seen some extreme views like that about some of the male contributors though. I reckon part of the Mike Nevin thing is based on some feedback from listeners though I could be massively wrong.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22692 on: January 10, 2020, 02:19:39 pm »
Obviously people will dislike some.

I've not collected all the data on it, but from what I've read on here and on Twitter most of the extreme, ridiculous "x has no place on here" is directed at a certain section of society.

You can not like Person X, but no one is making frankly ridiculous statements about cancelling or how they turn off podcasts whenever they are on unless Person X, happens to be female. Do you disagree with what I've said?
There are a few contributors that aren't my favourite which includes a couple of female voices on there. I do, however, ask myself if it's some unconscious misogyny or prejudice. Hopefully it's not, but I do think it's pretty healthy to confront your own prejudice as much as possible. The problem is that much of our own issues are hidden beneath the surface; so I might be being unconsciously sexist for disliking a certain person but I think it's because of a very rational reason rather than a deeper issue I may have...

Does that make sense?!

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22693 on: January 10, 2020, 02:32:14 pm »
For what it's worth, I think people saying that they are cancelling because of one contributor are already dissatisfied with a fair bit and a particular contributor just acts as the tipping point.

I still like the Wrap, but I find myself turning off more shows these days. For me its all about quality of presenters/contributors and shows rather than quantity. It's not all about longevity either. Some of the early team are great, others less so. Similarly age and gender are irrelevant. First people have to be knowledgeable about what they are talking about,  then they have to be good enough communicators to put their views across without dominating the show, talking over others or waffling too much. Then the content or subject matter has to be there and even with a club as newsworthy as us, sometimes the fresh LFC content just isn't there.

That's why for me, some of the more in depth stuff such as interviews / documentaries that offer insight carry more value than people I've never heard of talking about their favourite sandwich.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #22694 on: January 10, 2020, 02:52:42 pm »
I think Bona is a great laugh on AFQ whether as host or guest, but less so on Wildcards. Her football knowledge is too weak to anchor that show, which used to be one of my favourite ones but these days is a bit painful to listen to at times, especially when she's talking about footballers or other males like a piece of meat when if it was a bloke doing that about a woman she'd be the first to kick off.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 02:54:46 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #22695 on: January 10, 2020, 02:56:43 pm »
For what it's worth, I think people saying that they are cancelling because of one contributor are already dissatisfied with a fair bit and a particular contributor just acts as the tipping point.

I still like the Wrap, but I find myself turning off more shows these days. For me its all about quality of presenters/contributors and shows rather than quantity. It's not all about longevity either. Some of the early team are great, others less so. Similarly age and gender are irrelevant. First people have to be knowledgeable about what they are talking about,  then they have to be good enough communicators to put their views across without dominating the show, talking over others or waffling too much. Then the content or subject matter has to be there and even with a club as newsworthy as us, sometimes the fresh LFC content just isn't there.

That's why for me, some of the more in depth stuff such as interviews / documentaries that offer insight carry more value than people I've never heard of talking about their favourite sandwich.

As Neil has said. You don't have to listen to it all.

There are a few contributors that aren't my favourite which includes a couple of female voices on there. I do, however, ask myself if it's some unconscious misogyny or prejudice. Hopefully it's not, but I do think it's pretty healthy to confront your own prejudice as much as possible. The problem is that much of our own issues are hidden beneath the surface; so I might be being unconsciously sexist for disliking a certain person but I think it's because of a very rational reason rather than a deeper issue I may have...

Does that make sense?!

Course. And you literally can't like everyone.

The issue for me arises when people get overly weird about some people. And when those people seem to be female more often than not and it's about "well they don't know" "they don't get football" you can't help but form views of those individuals.

I'm sure Emilia doesn't care what some weirdo on Twitter thinks. Using your dislike for her as a reason to cancel a subscription means you probably didn't like the wrap that much in the first place and you were looking for a way out.

If Netflix has a shown starting four actors I don't like I'm not cancelling my Netflix subscription. I'd probably just not watch it.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22696 on: January 10, 2020, 02:59:44 pm »
The issue for me arises when people get overly weird about some people. And when those people seem to be female more often than not and it's about "well they don't know" "they don't get football" you can't help but form views of those individuals.

I'm sure Emilia doesn't care what some weirdo on Twitter thinks. Using your dislike for her as a reason to cancel a subscription means you probably didn't like the wrap that much in the first place and you were looking for a way out.

She would receive less scrutiny as a guest. There's plenty of lads they have on whose knowledge is suspect at times but none of them host. As a host, you've got to know your salt to ask the right questions and steer the conversation along an interesting path. Reducing football to how handsome Minamino is (really?) isn't especially interesting to listen to.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Kopite
« Reply #22697 on: January 10, 2020, 03:22:30 pm »
I think Bona is a great laugh on AFQ whether as host or guest, but less so on Wildcards. Her football knowledge is too weak to anchor that show, which used to be one of my favourite ones but these days is a bit painful to listen to at times.
Have to say Wildcards has lost it's way a bit recently. What is the point in having the votes if they just talk about whatever option they want?  Favourite documentary is a much better topic than favourite animal at the zoo but they almost dismissed it. I'm glad they ended up having the documentary discussion.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #22698 on: January 10, 2020, 03:23:56 pm »
She would receive less scrutiny as a guest. There's plenty of lads they have on whose knowledge is suspect at times but none of them host. As a host, you've got to know your salt to ask the right questions and steer the conversation along an interesting path. Reducing football to how handsome Minamino is (really?) isn't especially interesting to listen to.

Because no fella has made a comment on how handsome Allison is.

It's not isolated to Emilia. I remember when Sam was on AFQ a lot. It was embarrassing at times how people reacted.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22699 on: January 10, 2020, 03:26:24 pm »

It's not isolated to Emilia. I remember when Sam was on AFQ a lot. It was embarrassing at times how people reacted.

I liked Sam a lot to be honest. Funny as fuck.

There's really no need to make this into some mass feminist movement la.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 03:28:21 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #22700 on: January 10, 2020, 04:27:33 pm »

Lad, just let people have an opinion without jumping on your high horse you bore.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #22701 on: January 10, 2020, 04:31:18 pm »

She's also great to be honest.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #22702 on: January 10, 2020, 04:38:16 pm »

Lad, just let people have an opinion without jumping on your high horse you bore.

Well done. Must have killed you not to mention Sean.

I liked Sam a lot to be honest. Funny as fuck.

There's really no need to make this into some mass feminist movement la.

It's not about Feminism in my mind. It's about not looking and sounding like there's a certain "way" to be a football fan.

There's scope to disagree and say you don't like someone with being somewhat of a weirdo

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #22703 on: January 10, 2020, 04:41:19 pm »
I don't know if it's because I don't critically analyse each thing I listen to, but I enjoy it now just as much as I always have. Like my girlfriend might have soaps she looks forward to, in a way I have these for car journeys or bike rides that compliment the week and break up the day.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #22704 on: January 10, 2020, 04:43:14 pm »
Well done. Must have killed you not to mention Sean.

It's not about Feminism in my mind. It's about not looking and sounding like there's a certain "way" to be a football fan.

There's scope to disagree and say you don't like someone with being somewhat of a weirdo

Going in to bat for a bunch of people that don't know you is weird lad. Give it a rest

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22705 on: January 10, 2020, 04:52:17 pm »
No fella on TAW has droned on about how sexy Leighanne Robe is.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22706 on: January 10, 2020, 04:57:14 pm »
As Neil has said. You don't have to listen to it all.
I understand that sentiment, it's been said often enough, but the logical conclusion of what you (and Neil ) are saying is that listeners will reach their own tipping point when they feel that what they listen to isn't worth what they pay.

For me, I still feel I get good value for my £7, also I prefer fan media over mainstream in many cases, and like the feeling that I'm supporting a small(er) Liverpool based business. Doesn't mean that I'll always feel that way though, or would feel that way if the quality dropped, or I found I was paying for say just the review per week.

The Wrap lads aren't stupid, they ask for feedback via surveys and they have this forum among others to sense check what the punters are saying. They can also differentiate between constructive criticism and people just looking for something to moan about.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #22707 on: January 10, 2020, 05:06:54 pm »
I understand that sentiment, it's been said often enough, but the logical conclusion of what you (and Neil ) are saying is that listeners will reach their own tipping point when they feel that what they listen to isn't worth what they pay.

For me, I still feel I get good value for my £7, also I prefer fan media over mainstream in many cases, and like the feeling that I'm supporting a small(er) Liverpool based business. Doesn't mean that I'll always feel that way though, or would feel that way if the quality dropped, or I found I was paying for say just the review per week.

The Wrap lads aren't stupid, they ask for feedback via surveys and they have this forum among others to sense check what the punters are saying. They can also differentiate between constructive criticism and people just looking for something to moan about.

I get that, and honestly it's their call on who hosts what. But that Twitter thread was weird.its "lads" who watch football at it's worst.

Plenty on here appear to be fine and agree with it to an extent.

I don't think anyone's a misogynist because they don't like a female contributor.

Cancelling your subscription because a woman happens to present a couple of shows is a different matter.

No fella on TAW has droned on about how sexy Leighanne Robe is.

I have no idea who that is. I've definitely heard blokes (including Gibbo) go on about handsome men.

Plenty of blokes were falling over themselves about Dua Lipa in Kyiv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22708 on: January 10, 2020, 05:20:55 pm »
I have no idea who that is. I've definitely heard blokes (including Gibbo) go on about handsome men.
She's a defender who plays for LFC's Womens team.

In other words it's the equivalent of how some of the female contributors talk about members of the men's team.

The men on TAW don't go on about the women's team being full of fitties because they'd rightfully lose credibility and respect from the audience.  It's fair enough that female contributors should achieve the same outcome for drooling over the first team men.

Dua Lipa's hardly relevant and a bit of a desperate shout to be honest.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #22709 on: January 10, 2020, 05:42:41 pm »
We must be listening to different podcasts. I don't hear the female contributors drooling over the men's first team any more than I hear the men drooling over them.

Online XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #22710 on: January 10, 2020, 05:46:05 pm »
Ha. Its mad in here innit.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #22711 on: January 10, 2020, 06:25:56 pm »
Ha. Its mad in here innit.
This is what happens when there is such a long break between games

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22712 on: January 10, 2020, 06:30:21 pm »
We must be listening to different podcasts. I don't hear the female contributors drooling over the men's first team any more than I hear the men drooling over them.

haven't heard from either side to be honest except both lads and lasses calling Alisson gorgeous. Emilia's Minamino comments didn't bother me in the slightest either
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #22713 on: January 10, 2020, 09:12:28 pm »
Mike's contributions sorely missed. He shits on most of them in terms of substance and knowledge.

Couldn`t agree more. He was pure quality. One of my 4-5 favourite contributers on the show. A room of Nevin, Gutmann, Girling, Heaton, Robbo, Gibbo,(Senior) and Atkinson would probably be my dream lineup.

I probably liked TAW a little bit more before they had hundreds of contributers. I liked the old guys, the main guys, but times change and the brand has grown. Maybe they are a little more commercial than before. There`s still a lot of very good quality, but with more shows also more quantity, probably more friends wanting to be part of it etc . Maybe I`ve changed as well. 

What I do think the podcast lack a little are more contributers with proper knowledge about the 60s, 70s,80s and the earlier history of the club. Those are the guys I really like to listen to. I`ve got nothing against the guys born in the 90s, but when it comes to knowledge, interesting viewpoints and substance they`re nowhere near a contributer like Nevin was.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 09:21:36 am by Raaphael »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22714 on: January 10, 2020, 09:38:08 pm »
^^^

Damian Kavanagh is great for that.

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22715 on: January 10, 2020, 11:57:50 pm »
^^^

He's great in general, really enjoy when he's on. Himself and Mike Kearney have been brilliant additions in the last year or so.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22716 on: January 11, 2020, 07:25:06 am »
^^^

Agreed, he knows his shit and is an articulate talker.

There's a lot to be said for realising that there's loads of Liverpool fans who will barely remember Istanbul because of their age and rightly TAW wants to represent them (and of course get their subscriptions).

I still think they spread themselves too thin, but Neil's been pretty forthright that it's their strategy to offer a lot and say take what you like. It works for me largely... particularly if guests can get a grip on their "I was saying on another show" repetitions.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22717 on: January 11, 2020, 07:30:17 am »
Also enjoy Neil's daily emails, kinda let him get to topics like Miguel Delaney's article in brief without having a massive conversation about it.

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22718 on: January 11, 2020, 08:26:27 am »
Also enjoy Neil's daily emails, kinda let him get to topics like Miguel Delaney's article in brief without having a massive conversation about it.
I don't get those. I got the ones about the shows in Ireland though. How do I get the daily emails do you know?

Offline gods_left_peg

• Kopite
« Reply #22719 on: January 11, 2020, 09:40:32 am »
Is there anyway to install the app on a firestick. I have an iPhone, so cast it to the firestick but the AirPlay apps on the firestick aren’t great
“This club will always be the most important thing for ­millions of fans all over the world, just like Everton are the most important club to some people." - King Kenny