Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3301408 times)

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #22440 on: November 22, 2019, 02:53:25 pm »
^ lovely stuff
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22441 on: November 22, 2019, 03:07:43 pm »
Would start off something like this

‘Why are you a Tory Rob?’
‘I’m not, I’m a lifelong labour voter’

Wouldn’t be very good I suspect.

;D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #22442 on: November 22, 2019, 03:47:59 pm »

;D

Must say I'm slightly relieved.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #22443 on: November 22, 2019, 06:02:59 pm »

:wellin

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #22444 on: November 23, 2019, 06:51:35 pm »
About Alisson in today's match ratings...

Absolutely the best and most handsome character I’ve ever known. Wears tights, big hair. Think Turn Back Time era Cher. Would happily see him sitting on a gun turret on a battleship.

:lmao
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #22445 on: November 24, 2019, 09:18:56 am »

He's never struck me as a Tory. It's a wild shout that from someone who's probably never met him.

Following on Twitter though and I'm not sure he'll be voting Labour this time around

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22446 on: November 24, 2019, 09:45:58 am »
AFQ was great this week.
Call me [emoji23]

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #22447 on: November 25, 2019, 06:13:51 am »
He's never struck me as a Tory. It's a wild shout that from someone who's probably never met him.

Following on Twitter though and I'm not sure he'll be voting Labour this time around

I'm guessing Cpt_Reina is coming to that assumption because Rob's successful and Southern? ;D

To be fair to Reina it's a hard job filling in for Trada.

:D

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22448 on: November 25, 2019, 09:56:10 am »

"Rob, are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Communist Party?"

He can then be kicked out the country. Now that's content.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22449 on: November 25, 2019, 02:16:29 pm »

Now Paul Senior on the other hand...  :-X
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22450 on: November 25, 2019, 02:27:19 pm »
Now Paul Senior on the other hand...  :-X

Would give you the same response.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22451 on: November 26, 2019, 10:39:23 am »
To be totally honest, I don't really care what political opinions TAW contributors have as long as they aren't extreme Frottage like characters, which I can confidently say they are not.  It's a football podcast that I listen to for views on Liverpool and football in general.  Yes, sometimes that will go hand in hand but it isn’t the be all and end all.  I’m sure some of our players have political opinions most of us wouldn’t agree with, but that doesn’t make me like them any less.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22452 on: November 26, 2019, 11:49:22 am »
I like Sean Rogers, has good insight and understands a lot about football and team dynamic - a good regular contributor on The Review and someone who comes at it from a very specific angle that others don’t have. However, he is prone to the occasional false equivalency, usually when bringing in the odd 80s reference to do with Barnes, Dalglish or Ronnie Moran to explain modern day Liverpool. Sometimes it works but it can be a bit of a stretch - no harm really. The issue I have with the habit of always looking to Liverpool's past with a comparative example is that it can, at times, just not really fit; it can feel shoehorned rather than actually providing the context it is intended to do.

The latest Review of the Palace game had arguably the worst example of false equivalency I have heard so far. Sean expressed a nervousness around Liverpool's performance levels as they are not securing clean sheets and heavy wins. This is a perfectly valid position. However, he then went on to use Houllier's 2002/03 season as a basis for his worry.

Honestly, what?!

That side was a busted flush and despite a good start to the season we'd drawn three consecutive games 2-2 to poor sides by the start of September and then proceeded to go 13 league games without a win through the winter. Now compare that to this side of European Champions, almost undefeated in a calendar year, breaking points records and filled with the world's best players. 2002/03 is no more helpful a comparison as the 1993/94 season when we won 4 of our first 5 games before dropping off a cliff.

Just a dead odd call from Sean.

Still, I enjoyed the show...

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22453 on: November 26, 2019, 03:46:00 pm »
Appreciate he's a qualified coach of some distinction but on the review you get the feeling sometimes that Sean throws around some wild shouts with the hope that one or two will stick. I may have missed the gist of what he was saying on this weeks show (morning commute) but was he suggesting that Alisson and VVD were not being vocal/dominating enough? I think the reaction to it said it all.

I don't even know how you could pick that up without being on the pitch. It's not like either of the two players are hugely animated and scream normally, like Carragher used to. Was at the game, stood row 3, and I don't notice anything out of the norm.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #22454 on: November 26, 2019, 04:24:38 pm »
The Review is just stale IMO. Quite often don't listen to it, and when I do I'm always reminded of why I stopped listening to it in the first place. I've had this view for quite a while now, and nothing has really changed my mind.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #22455 on: November 26, 2019, 05:22:19 pm »
Sean is obviously full of nonsense and should be given a break for a bit however Dan Morgan has been a great addition as host and have given the show a new lease of life imo

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22456 on: November 26, 2019, 05:39:21 pm »
For me the Review needs to be more focussed. It mostly broadly reviews the events, formations and crucial events of the game - which is a fair, broad stroke approach. I do feel that it woukd benefit from unpacking in more detail a single main point/theme from the game.

Also, nice of TAW to start introducing ‘Classics’ to the weekly lineup. They are sitting on a treasure trove of content that is not always easy to dig out. Hope it’s a regular feature.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #22457 on: November 26, 2019, 05:51:10 pm »
Sean is obviously full of nonsense and should be given a break for a bit however Dan Morgan has been a great addition as host and have given the show a new lease of life imo

Do you have an alert set up for any post that mentions Sean?

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #22458 on: November 26, 2019, 07:46:31 pm »
Er no, I can just read the thread,

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #22459 on: November 26, 2019, 07:47:18 pm »
Do you have an alert set up for any post that mentions Sean?

Do you have an alert set up for me mentioning Sean?

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #22460 on: November 26, 2019, 07:51:54 pm »
Do you have an alert set up for me mentioning Sean?

Well no, but 99% of my posts on here aren't some weird love/hate relationship like some

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #22461 on: November 26, 2019, 08:43:13 pm »
I'm discussing an anfield wrap in the wrap thread. Have a nice night spent on a football forum mate

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22462 on: November 26, 2019, 08:58:40 pm »
Excellent talk from Neil - insight for the TAW geeks/casual observers.

https://www.turingfest.com/2019/speakers/neil-atkinson

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22463 on: November 26, 2019, 09:08:38 pm »
I'm discussing an anfield wrap in the wrap thread. Have a nice night spent on a football forum mate
Just had a cursory glance at your posting history: about 80%+ of your posts are in the thread; your first four posts are about Sean Rogers; the majority of your posts appear disgruntled about an element of The Anfield Wrap. Genuinely, surprised that you listen...almost like you have an axe to grind. Odd.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22464 on: November 26, 2019, 09:46:19 pm »

Nice one - that looks great.

[Edit] - Yes it is great - Well in Neil, and everyone else at TAW. The city is proud of you all.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 10:29:34 am by kavah »

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #22465 on: November 26, 2019, 10:20:28 pm »
Just had a cursory glance at your posting history: about 80%+ of your posts are in the thread; your first four posts are about Sean Rogers; the majority of your posts appear disgruntled about an element of The Anfield Wrap. Genuinely, surprised that you listen...almost like you have an axe to grind. Odd.

Love the wrap and the lads mate but gleen what you like from your curiosity glance.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #22466 on: November 26, 2019, 10:31:44 pm »
Appreciate he's a qualified coach of some distinction but on the review you get the feeling sometimes that Sean throws around some wild shouts with the hope that one or two will stick.

For me, the best thing about TAW is I don't know beforehand what their takes are going to be. The level of insight is night and day compared to other football podcasts, that I know of anyway.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 05:20:52 am by Bjornar »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #22467 on: November 26, 2019, 11:05:21 pm »
I enjoyed not having Neil for a couple of weeks.  Had some great shows without him.

But also because absence makes the heart grow fonder.  It’s easy to forget just how terrific he is at this.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22468 on: November 27, 2019, 09:31:23 am »
Not to mention his outstanding shirt collection

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #22469 on: November 27, 2019, 09:45:38 am »
Love the wrap and the lads mate but gleen what you like from your curiosity glance.

Looks like someone spent the night on a football forum. Hope you had a pleasant evening

Offline Wembley74

• Kemlynite
« Reply #22470 on: November 27, 2019, 10:05:38 am »
"Roy Hodgson's career has ended in disgrace!" Possibly a tad premature but the sentiment is commendable.

Very good to hear Nevin there as well - the good old days...eh?

Cheers mate. I'm quite proud of those shows. On Hodgson, it wasn't difficult to speak passionately, and with humour because I detested him. If I had one football wish it would be that he and his results were expunged from the history books. It's a stain on the club.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22471 on: November 27, 2019, 10:16:14 am »
Cheers mate. I'm quite proud of those shows. On Hodgson, it wasn't difficult to speak passionately, and with humour because I detested him. If I had one football wish it would be that he and his results were expunged from the history books. It's a stain on the club.

Even the famous away win at Trabzonspor?!

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22472 on: November 27, 2019, 10:44:32 am »
Just has a deeper glance...this literally took five minutes to compile and I could have used three dozen more posts from yourself.

Enjoy...

Was in absolute pieces at guttman on the centre parks thing.  ;D

That Dan Austin is a hard listen though
thought the weekender was one of the worst shows iv heard, cant like them all though, coach home is brilliant
Be amazed if Rick Mcevoy gets asked back on... Kinell
Wrap has been getting progressively worse for a while now. Hardly surprising when you look at some of the newer contributors

Great to have Paul Cope on the review again.

But please get Sean Rogers off it for a bit. Same thing 3 times a week at the moment
Review a brilliant listen Sean aside.

Ben Jonno great again.
More sweary, shouty nonsense from kev Walsh
Interview with Michael Owen, not a good look imo. Giving him an opportunity to peddle his book. Wonder if they'll have the balls to speak about him in similar terms as they do when he's not been a quest on the show.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22473 on: November 27, 2019, 10:49:05 am »
strangle little fella
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22474 on: November 27, 2019, 10:50:55 am »

Really enjoyed that. Cheers.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #22475 on: November 27, 2019, 11:19:23 am »
Since 2002-2003 was mentioned, league should have finished at that stage below
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22476 on: November 27, 2019, 11:32:11 am »
Since 2002-2003 was mentioned, league should have finished at that stage below
And what followed after this point was one of the worst runs in the club's history. Disastrous season following a terrible summer of transfers. In my opinion, not relevant to this season other than the fact that the name of the club at the top of the league are called Liverpool.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22477 on: November 27, 2019, 12:19:06 pm »
That table does look mad. Made better that United and Arsenal hadn’t really got their acts together at that point. We started the season well enough but all three draws there were a bit concerning. We conceded late to draw 2-2 at Blackburn and blew 2-0 leads at home to both Newcastle and Birmingham. Think we had ill deserved (but still fun!) injury time winners against Chelsea and Spurs too. At the same time we were struggling in our Champions League group.

Not relevant to now but mad to look back on. Clearly we weren’t playing ‘that’ well but I don’t think anyone would have predicted not winning again until the end of January! We gave Sunderland 4 points in that bad spell in a season where they set a record for the lowest points tally in the Premier League!

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #22478 on: November 27, 2019, 12:19:19 pm »
Just has a deeper glance...this literally took five minutes to compile and I could have used three dozen more posts from yourself.

Enjoy...

Get a life mate in commenting on a product I pay for in the appropriate thread. Go about your life, which appears to revolve around an online football forum judging by your post count

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #22479 on: November 27, 2019, 03:58:24 pm »
Go about your life, which appears to revolve around an online football forum judging by your post count
Know your audience mate.