Author Topic: Pre-match thread: Brighton vs Liverpool, 12th January, 3pm  (Read 35388 times)

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pre-match thread: Brighton vs Liverpool, 12th January, 3pm
« Reply #240 on: January 11, 2019, 05:53:51 pm »
I never saw you as so superstitious PoP.  ;D

He never takes those lucky shorts off.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: January 11, 2019, 05:56:06 pm »
What an arrogant attitude

They are unbeaten in four

Best home record outside of the top 6. Klopp won't be taking them lightly.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #242 on: January 11, 2019, 05:56:50 pm »

They are organised. Play deep and Gross is excellent at picking a pass.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:58:45 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #243 on: January 11, 2019, 06:20:54 pm »
He never takes those lucky shorts off.

Way too much information there.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
« Reply #244 on: January 11, 2019, 07:04:29 pm »
Hopefully Matip is fit but if not then I’ve got no problem with Fabinho playing centre half as he looked calm and collected against Wolves, although I’d rather have him in midfield.  Saying that I wouldn’t give a fuck who’s alongside Van Dijk as he’s that good he’d make anyone look good alongside him. 
Allison, Arnold, Van Dijk, Matip (if fit), Robbo, Fabinho, Gini, Milner, Salah, Bobby, Mane.  Mane to score on his 100th appearance for us.  Come on the redmen. 

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: January 11, 2019, 07:20:24 pm »
Based on the Echo, Matip is unlikely to be ready for tomorrow and I don't think we'd risk him either.

If Hendo isn't ready as I mentioned previously I hope that we have the right balance in midfield preferably Keita,Wijnaldum Milner, who did well as a  group earlier in the season. Considering the makeshift at the back having Keita and Wijnaldum as the double pivot with Shaqiri in the side as well may be too open away from home against a side that has a good record at home.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #246 on: January 11, 2019, 07:24:32 pm »
This match is as tough as was Wolves away. Come on Redmen! Open the gap to 7 points and watch them crumble under pressure again.

They were complete garbage at home vs Arsenal just a few weeks ago. I think we'll win by 0-3.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #247 on: January 11, 2019, 07:50:09 pm »
They were complete garbage at home vs Arsenal just a few weeks ago. I think we'll win by 0-3.

They should have won.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: January 11, 2019, 08:03:35 pm »

They absolutely were not. They should have won the game.

Offline Perseus

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #249 on: January 11, 2019, 09:07:34 pm »

Shooting was naff, should have won 4-1

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: January 11, 2019, 09:28:12 pm »
Liverpool are playing tomorrow!
It's going to be a great day, it's going to be glorious.

I think our perception is a bit skewed after two defeats. One of those was against a baby blue behemoth of financial doping, coming at the end of a gruelling run of fixtures and we lost it by the smallest of margins imaginable. The other was a pack of players never to play together before or again and they came against a well drilled team on a tough away ground. So yeah, we lost, twice. But it won't be the tired Liverpool from Etihad, nor the mix of children and seniors that will run out against Brighton tomorrow. It'll be a pack of hungry, lean and well rested lions running through brick walls for a victory. Sure, the weight of needing three points is getting heavier with every game now - but I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of Brighton defenders tomorrow. We'll be merciless.

Offline David Struhme

• Kopite
« Reply #251 on: January 11, 2019, 09:58:15 pm »
Wonder if we will see Hoever partner VVD at the back?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #252 on: January 11, 2019, 09:59:03 pm »

Don’t think he’s ready yet
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 10:10:56 pm by Nick110581 »

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: January 11, 2019, 10:39:00 pm »
Don’t think he’s ready yet

Sschtopp!

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2019, 12:10:20 am »
Liverpool are playing tomorrow!
It's going to be a great day, it's going to be glorious.

I think our perception is a bit skewed after two defeats. One of those was against a baby blue behemoth of financial doping, coming at the end of a gruelling run of fixtures and we lost it by the smallest of margins imaginable. The other was a pack of players never to play together before or again and they came against a well drilled team on a tough away ground. So yeah, we lost, twice. But it won't be the tired Liverpool from Etihad, nor the mix of children and seniors that will run out against Brighton tomorrow. It'll be a pack of hungry, lean and well rested lions running through brick walls for a victory. Sure, the weight of needing three points is getting heavier with every game now - but I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of Brighton defenders tomorrow. We'll be merciless.

I honestly believe we lost the City game because we were trying to win it at the time they scored. I think the perception is not only skewed but a little bit fearful too. Had we even have drawn that game we would have been 7 points ahead. Now with 2 defeats (albeit one with a completely inferior team) some uncertainty has crept back in. That’s natural. However it should be a pack of lions tomorrow because not only do we need to bounce back from the City defeat we also need to maintain our advantage. Already seen some end of year predications by some folks such as ESPN stating we’re going to bottle it now. So it’s almost like some people except us to fall of a cliff or haven’t seen us play at all. There is immense amount of pressure in a title race and you have to be able to rise above the challenge and do everything in your power to get over the line. That’s what champions do. They absolutely have to be a pack of lions. I except nothing less.
YWNA

Offline RedTriumph

• Anny Roader
  • Every man a king...
« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2019, 12:24:31 am »
We have two clean sheets in the last six games in all competitions, which will be annoying van Dijk. I'm expecting him to return from his FA Cup rest with a renewed authority. Also, Brighton may well see Fabinho as a weak point and target him, which makes me think Virgil will be sharper than ever in marshalling the defence.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2019, 12:46:23 am »
Would be fantastic to pick up the 3 points after the defeat at City.

I like the cut of your jib
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Perseus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2019, 01:27:36 am »

Murray has 20 years on him

Offline Perseus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2019, 01:38:10 am »

0-2 away win would take Brighton down to ninth best home record below Everton

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2019, 01:55:33 am »

Are you sure?  Didn't Aubemayang have like 2 or 3 chances (took 1) early along with some other plays that would have buried Brighton in the first 20.

Tend to agree with the other bloke.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2019, 01:57:23 am »
Personally believe we will play as we have been playing recently, with calmness, control, authority, discipline, organization, and elan. And that we will win. We're 4 points ahead, and that's because we are better, and have proved ourself better, than our competitors.

To put it another way, we only have the possible 10 point gap, or even just the 7 point gap, influencing our perceptions. That's part of the reason we watch the matches. The players Klopp has assembled see themselves as top, because they have worked and fought and thought for it, and that's not something they are going to give up.

I think we will win.  :)
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2019, 02:26:58 am »
Personally believe we will play as we have been playing recently, with calmness, control, authority, discipline, organization, and elan. And that we will win. We're 4 points ahead, and that's because we are better, and have proved ourself better, than our competitors.

To put it another way, we only have the possible 10 point gap, or even just the 7 point gap, influencing our perceptions. That's part of the reason we watch the matches. The players Klopp has assembled see themselves as top, because they have worked and fought and thought for it, and that's not something they are going to give up.

I think we will win.  :)

Excellent post and great point. 

No denying within the fan base there was a huge amount of expectation built into 1 game.  We lost, shrug it off and get back to work.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:28:29 am by latortuga »

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2019, 02:46:53 am »
Are you sure?  Didn't Aubemayang have like 2 or 3 chances (took 1) early along with some other plays that would have buried Brighton in the first 20.

Yeah, he was clean through on goal and missed before Brighton equalized. If he scores that and makes it 2-0 Arsenal go on to win comfortably. Brighton's goal was also courtesy of a cock up by Liechtsteiner/Leno. I've watched a fair few Brighton games against the top sides. Yes, they make it difficult and are undoubtedly a difficult team to play against (especially at home), but they don't create that many clear cut opportunities. They seem to be able to create sustained periods of pressure without really doing much. Keep Murray in check and most of their attacking impotus is lost. They'll bombard our box at any and every opportunity they get as well.

If we can keep our heads and defend as we've been doing all season long, there's no reason we can't win given that I'm sure we'll have opportunities to score. We've faced tougher tests away from home against lesser sides this season, like Wolves and Watford and have so far passed them flawlessly.

Offline Perseus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2019, 03:04:21 am »

Arsenal dominated the first 25 minutes then faded and the equaliser came just before HT in a first half of few chances. Then Emery took Ozil off at HT and from then on it was one way traffic on the Arsenal goal. 

The pertinent bit is Brighton have trouble with the genuine world class creative talents: Ozil, Coutinho, Hazard, Pogba, De Bruyne, Mahrez. Also have trouble with forwards: Firmino, Aguero (needed to finish the creations) and a lesser extent Salah, Sane, Son, Vardy, Kane, Aubemayang.

All goes with the way to beat a deep defence is by a piece of individual skill, in the absence of any mistakes.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 11:03:21 am by Perseus »

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2019, 03:06:51 am »
Arsenal dominated the first 25 minutes then faded and the equaliser came just before HT in a first half of few chances. Then Emery took Ozil off at HT and from then on it was one way traffic on the Arsenal goal. 

The pertinent bit is Brighton have trouble with the genuine world class creative talents: Ozil, Coutinho, Hazard, Pogba, De Bruyne. Also have trouble with forwards: Firmino, Aguero (needed to finish the creations) and a lesser extent Salah, Sane, Son, Vardy, Kane, Aubemayang.

All goes with the way to beat a deep defence is by a piece of individual skill, in the absence of any mistakes.

And yet in the end, Arsenal had more shots, shots on target, and possession. I'm not sure how you can say it was one way traffic on the Arsenal goal.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2019, 03:43:15 am »
Yeah, he was clean through on goal and missed before Brighton equalized. If he scores that and makes it 2-0 Arsenal go on to win comfortably. Brighton's goal was also courtesy of a cock up by Liechtsteiner/Leno. I've watched a fair few Brighton games against the top sides. Yes, they make it difficult and are undoubtedly a difficult team to play against (especially at home), but they don't create that many clear cut opportunities. They seem to be able to create sustained periods of pressure without really doing much. Keep Murray in check and most of their attacking impotus is lost. They'll bombard our box at any and every opportunity they get as well.

If we can keep our heads and defend as we've been doing all season long, there's no reason we can't win given that I'm sure we'll have opportunities to score. We've faced tougher tests away from home against lesser sides this season, like Wolves and Watford and have so far passed them flawlessly.

Yep, how I see it having watched a few of Brighton's games.  They'll take advantage if we give them opportunities, but if we play to our defensive abilities we should be fine.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: January 12, 2019, 05:24:02 am »
Come on you Redmen!
Believer

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #267 on: January 12, 2019, 06:59:09 am »

With only 3 shots on target?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #268 on: January 12, 2019, 07:09:51 am »
A game we really have to win.

I think it’ll be a draw tho.

1-1

ugh?
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Dansphinx

• Kemlynite
« Reply #269 on: January 12, 2019, 07:44:28 am »
I think we will bounce back in fashion today 0-4

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: January 12, 2019, 08:15:59 am »
Just win.. PLEASE..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Shite Name

• With a post history to match it.
  • Kopite
« Reply #271 on: January 12, 2019, 09:45:03 am »
It’s simples, gotta won.

Offline Snoopy29

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: January 12, 2019, 10:09:34 am »
Yeh....please don't F**** Up!
Win!
“I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us!” “For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

(Bill Shankly)

Offline Salty Dog

• Sworn enemy of Sugary Cat.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold.
« Reply #273 on: January 12, 2019, 10:33:18 am »
We need these 3 points. Luckily we have a squad that is just as hungry for points and success as our fanbase. I think our lads will go and get the job done as they have been doing so far this season. 3 more points and up the Reds!
It's like all punishments though, isn't it. You just have to close your eyes, grit your teeth and think of England. - Yorkykopite

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: January 12, 2019, 10:46:45 am »
This isn't a 'must win' not by any stretch. It only feels that way with the explosion of hype since before the last game. It's January 12th. Very important to get a win and I think we will as the team is so strong but the minute we start falling into the trap of putting pressure on ourselves is when we could have a massive slump like city are still in the middle of. If we avoid a 3 loses in 5 slide like city are still right in the middle of then we will be looking good, but must win it is not.

Don't fall for all the hype, it's city that are under enormous pressure after picking up 6 points from a possible 15, if they lose again they are in massive trouble, if we lose again we are top of the league.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: January 12, 2019, 11:02:42 am »
Wouldn't it be nice to have one of those games where we come flying out the traps, grab a 3-0 lead by half time and just chill second half.

Having said that, 1-0 with a goal off Gini's arse would do me.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: January 12, 2019, 11:02:42 am »
This is going to be a mad cagey grind i reckon. 2:1 to the reds.

Offline Perseus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #277 on: January 12, 2019, 11:05:09 am »
And yet in the end, Arsenal had more shots, shots on target, and possession. I'm not sure how you can say it was one way traffic on the Arsenal goal.

Shots were 12-7. Big chances were 3-1.

Arsenal do not press as much as Liverpool so the game is less intense. 

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 11:11:20 am by Perseus »

Offline Syntexity

• Kopite
« Reply #278 on: January 12, 2019, 11:31:10 am »
Its a difficult game against a solid side, especially when they are at home. We just have to keep playing the way we have been doing, especially the way we played in december and that should be enough to win. At the same time we have 3 CB’s out so we need to keep the ball well and be clinical infront of goal.

Most importantly just get the win so we can put another 3 points on the table with one less match to play. Any win will do and will put us back in good form.

Come on you redmenn!! YNWA!!!

Offline redjed1

• Kopite
« Reply #279 on: January 12, 2019, 11:39:40 am »

I'd be a lot more confident with one of our regular centre back pairs, but VvD and Fabinho should be OK.

What young options do we have in the side?

Hoever seemed promising, but a bit green for the likes of the experienced Brighton striker.