Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12290283 times)

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #101800 on: August 5, 2020, 11:31:34 pm »
It depends on what Gomes is looking for, but I think he'd be a smart signing for any big club as a low risk, Solanke-type signing.

He does look a big talent, or at least he has for United's academy. He's better than Chong who has had first-team opportunities, so you would think that he was held back there because of the situation with his contract. I don't know what he's asking for in terms of wages, but in terms of ability and potential he's worth taking a chance on for a lot of clubs.

Gone to Boavista on loan by the way
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101801 on: August 6, 2020, 12:30:05 am »
New contract for Tom Hill today. Had a great season last year, very versatile with an eye for goal. Interesting to see what his best position is, did well in midfield and had a knack for those late runs to the edge of the box.
Those late runs ... remind me so much of a young Whelan
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #101802 on: August 6, 2020, 02:45:40 pm »
On this forum some could think you are referring to Corey, not long since one of our academy lads.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101803 on: August 6, 2020, 03:03:57 pm »
That would be just fine  ;D
Definitely has a knack for “right place, right time” this lad

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101805 on: August 7, 2020, 09:48:47 am »
Hoever is weighing up a loan move

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/08/ki-jana-hoever-weighing-up-loan-move-with-appearance-targets-set/
It is weird how Neco leapfrogged him so quickly when Hoever was so highly rated. A loan may be the best thing for him.

Interesting that he sees himself as a right back.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #101806 on: August 7, 2020, 09:52:03 am »
It is weird how Neco leapfrogged him so quickly when Hoever was so highly rated. A loan may be the best thing for him.

For now

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101807 on: August 7, 2020, 09:56:13 am »

Agree, and that he first at 25 sees himself move into the centre back position. I really like the look of Hoever, and think he could very well challenge for a cb role much sooner than that.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101808 on: August 7, 2020, 10:53:41 am »

Funny enough, it could very well be because Hoever was playing for Holland during the Arsenal cup game. Williams took his opportunity and ended up getting his minutes in other cup games and in the end even PL appearances.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101809 on: August 7, 2020, 11:01:49 am »
Funny enough, it could very well be because Hoever was playing for Holland during the Arsenal cup game. Williams took his opportunity and ended up getting his minutes in other cup games and in the end even PL appearances.

Could easily be and shows right place, right time is as important as many factors in getting a break through

I still point to rashford’s big break coming as a result of freak injuries and last minute opportunity - going on loan ironically could cost you a chance at your main club so it’s not an easy decision to make, I’m thinking particularly Brewster in that example

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101810 on: August 7, 2020, 11:23:31 am »
Even weirder is that he was amazing in those Holland games.

Its tough for centre backs to break through at a top club until they are around 23. They need to be patient.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101811 on: August 7, 2020, 11:41:45 am »
I'm not sure a loan would be the right move for Hoever, it will be interesting to see if Klopp does.

But I think his opportunities at Liverpool might be limited if he doesn't think he'll be ready to play at CB for another 7 years.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101812 on: August 7, 2020, 12:00:54 pm »
Still think he will end up as a defensive midfielder.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #101813 on: August 7, 2020, 12:12:01 pm »
Could easily be and shows right place, right time is as important as many factors in getting a break through

I still point to rashford’s big break coming as a result of freak injuries and last minute opportunity - going on loan ironically could cost you a chance at your main club so it’s not an easy decision to make, I’m thinking particularly Brewster in that example

It was the same for Trent too wasn't it? Got his chance because of injury and didn't just grasp it he kept it and locked it up!

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101814 on: August 7, 2020, 02:04:25 pm »
Still think he will end up as a defensive midfielder.
I agree, I think he’d be exceptional as a 6

Online Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101815 on: August 7, 2020, 03:06:10 pm »
I think he'll follow the same path as Gomez. Get games at RB and then move to CB in his early 20s. Doesn't need to wait until 25. Never convinced me attacking wise as a RB but he looks a super little defender who can pass. I think a loan in Jan is more likely.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101816 on: August 7, 2020, 03:17:15 pm »
It was the same for Trent too wasn't it? Got his chance because of injury and didn't just grasp it he kept it and locked it up!

Yes fair point

If I was Hoever and the club agreed about being a RB I’d be off on loan without a doubt

TAA and Williams in front and the club can put Gomez or Fab in there if we have an injury nightmare

Go and get 30+ games under your belt at a decent passing side in championship or league one

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101817 on: August 9, 2020, 07:00:22 pm »
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101818 on: August 10, 2020, 01:03:41 pm »
paul joyce
@_pauljoyce
·
2m
Gary O’Neil joining Liverpool U23s as assistant manager to Barry Lewtas. O’Neil was at Portsmouth when Michael Edwards was an analyst

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101819 on: August 10, 2020, 01:07:58 pm »

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/404750-gary-oneil-appointed-liverpool-23s-assistant-coach
Gary O'Neil has been appointed as assistant coach of Liverpool's U23s.

The former midfielder played in the Premier League for clubs including Portsmouth, Middlesbrough and West Ham United, while his final season as a player saw him named Bolton Wanderers' Player of the Year in the Championship in 2018-19.

A serious Achilles injury saw the 37-year-old enter semi-retirement from playing and he now embarks on his coaching career at the Reds' Academy as U23s boss Barry Lewtas' assistant.

O'Neil, who began work alongside Lewtas in U23s training last week, told Liverpoolfc.com: "I'm really excited. I've been desperate to get going.

"It's been going on for a little while and obviously with the break and the Academy having to take an even longer break than the first team, I've had to wait a little while, but now it's finally come around and I'm really excited and can't wait to get going."

O'Neil is looking forward to forming a strong partnership with Lewtas, who was promoted to U23s coach in May after two impressive seasons with the U18s.

He continued: "Barry is great. He has got a wealth of experience of working with the boys. Obviously he's come through a lot of the age groups with the lads as well, so he knows them very well.

"That will be handy because there's two ways of looking at it: I'm getting to see them with a fresh set of eyes, which can be useful as well, but Barry offers a wealth of experience and obviously I'm new into coaching.

"I think as a team, me and Barry will work very well and there's some fantastic players to work with. For me to have the opportunity to work with such a talented group of young players at such an early part of my coaching career, I feel very privileged."

Academy manager Alex Inglethorpe said: "Gary's knowledge, experience and passion for the game will help not only the players that he works with but also the staff as well."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101820 on: August 10, 2020, 01:13:13 pm »

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101821 on: August 10, 2020, 01:30:57 pm »
Interesting appointment

Good luck to him

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101822 on: August 10, 2020, 01:48:39 pm »
Must be a friendly or two on the horizon now for the academy sides. Looking forward to seeing them back in action.

From the looks of those Gary O’Neil announcement photos, Abdi Sharif is back in training after his knee injury. Great to see.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #101823 on: August 10, 2020, 02:43:38 pm »
Hope he’s a better coach than he was player. Always had the impression he was out to injure our players when we played Portsmouth.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101824 on: August 10, 2020, 03:00:37 pm »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #101825 on: August 12, 2020, 01:34:49 pm »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101826 on: August 12, 2020, 02:05:34 pm »
Billy Koumetio signs first professional contract with Liverpool FC https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/405190-billy-koumetio-signs-first-professional-contract-with-liverpool-fc
Good news, seems just about all of our highest rated kids have signed new deals this summer. Hope we get to see them in action soon. Still haven’t heard anything about academy friendlies yet.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101827 on: August 12, 2020, 02:36:02 pm »
Good news, seems just about all of our highest rated kids have signed new deals this summer. Hope we get to see them in action soon. Still haven’t heard anything about academy friendlies yet.

I think the u18 and u23's were back last week, still no news about the younger groups though. I am certainly looking forward to the new season and see which players they will go with, really wondering if the u23's will go with Glatzel and Stewart up front, it would certainly be an interesting pairing.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101828 on: August 12, 2020, 02:46:54 pm »
I think the u18 and u23's were back last week, still no news about the younger groups though. I am certainly looking forward to the new season and see which players they will go with, really wondering if the u23's will go with Glatzel and Stewart up front, it would certainly be an interesting pairing.
I’d quite like to see that myself. I also think Glatzel might get a league 1 loan move in a few months time if his fitness holds up. He’s 19 but is probably ready for a taste of senior football. Blackpool to link up with Neil Critchley makes sense to me, but we’ll see. I really like him as a player and I’m curious to see how he fares against pros.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #101829 on: August 12, 2020, 03:39:40 pm »
Morgan Boyes gone to Fleetwood for the season.
AHA!

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101830 on: August 12, 2020, 03:44:56 pm »
I’d quite like to see that myself. I also think Glatzel might get a league 1 loan move in a few months time if his fitness holds up. He’s 19 but is probably ready for a taste of senior football. Blackpool to link up with Neil Critchley makes sense to me, but we’ll see. I really like him as a player and I’m curious to see how he fares against pros.

It's a possibility that Glatzel will get a loan, although he's only just back from injury. Maybe Fidel O'Rourke will move up as well, he had a good a partnership with Stewart, there is also Joe Hardy as well endless options in the under 23's now.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101831 on: August 12, 2020, 04:09:24 pm »
It's a possibility that Glatzel will get a loan, although he's only just back from injury. Maybe Fidel O'Rourke will move up as well, he had a good a partnership with Stewart, there is also Joe Hardy as well endless options in the under 23's now.
Fidel has to move up as he was a second year U18.  You’d like to think Stewart would move up a year early too but it might depend a bit on who is coming through.  Max Woltman is apparently a striker in The same year group as Stewart but rarely played last year.  Mateus Musialski has just been bought but EU players sometimes take a little while to get their permits tHrough.   Does anyone know who is in the next age group?  Looks like there might be a striker Harvey Blair, but it is just what I can find on searches for names.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101832 on: August 12, 2020, 06:07:44 pm »

All age groups are back mate.

Hardy, Glatzel and Stewart is a good forward 3.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101833 on: August 13, 2020, 05:14:02 pm »
Fidel has to move up as he was a second year U18.  You’d like to think Stewart would move up a year early too but it might depend a bit on who is coming through.  Max Woltman is apparently a striker in The same year group as Stewart but rarely played last year.  Mateus Musialski has just been bought but EU players sometimes take a little while to get their permits tHrough.   Does anyone know who is in the next age group?  Looks like there might be a striker Harvey Blair, but it is just what I can find on searches for names.
Harvey Blair and Max Woltman will probably see a lot of time up front for the u18s, assuming Stewart moves up. Not sure who else will be in the frame as a forward in that group. We have Maynor Figueroa’s lad scoring hatfuls for our younger sides but I think he’s still only 13/14.

Offline Tuco Ramírez

• Main Stander
« Reply #101834 on: August 15, 2020, 02:22:05 am »
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 02:27:34 am by Tuco Ramírez »

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101835 on: August 15, 2020, 07:05:52 am »
This seems to confirm Melkamu Frauendorf, who we were linked with recently...

https://www.rnz.de/nachrichten/mosbach_artikel,-die-insel-ruft-16-jaehriger-schefflenzer-wechselt-zum-fc-liverpool-_arid,532173.html
Decent find, that. Wonder if Nick Breitenbucher follows?

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101836 on: August 15, 2020, 11:54:44 am »
Wonder which youth players are off to the training camp.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101837 on: August 15, 2020, 07:47:00 pm »
Adam Lewis off to Amiens, in Ligue 2, on loan - so says James Pearce.

Season long loan. Confirmed on Monday.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 07:48:58 pm by Fordy »

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101838 on: August 15, 2020, 09:46:59 pm »
Looks like Koumetio is the only newish academy player at the training camp

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD7EdogHJla/?hl=fr

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101839 on: August 15, 2020, 10:28:34 pm »
Looks like Koumetio is the only newish academy player at the training camp

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD7EdogHJla/?hl=fr
I wondered why Koumetio’s pic on the LFC website suddenly changed yesterday to show him in the new Nike kit.  Joe Hardy was also shown in Nike so perhaps he is there too.  They were the only 2 academy players with new photos