Author Topic: Disney Theme Parks  (Read 40932 times)

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
Re: Walt Disney World, Florida
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2013, 05:40:09 pm »
None of the values have a table service restaurant too whereas some mods do.
Disney resorts are horribly overpriced though, except when you can get a cheap deluxe with free dining.

Ohanas is decent enough and the poly is a nice resort

Offline ocecynwa

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2013, 09:04:17 pm »
Family and I are going next november, taking what will be a 4 year old and 3 year old. Going to be absolute carnage. I've been before the kids were born and I have to say, the place is amazing. Epcot is great for food and booze. Hollwood studios (previously MGM) was great, so much to do, and of course magic and animal kingdom is great for the kids. We stayed at the dolphin, was expensive but you're so close to everything it's well worth it in my opinion.
Remember when we used to sing "we've got the best midfield in the world'? Not so much anymore.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2013, 09:18:15 pm »
I used to work for Disney. The only difference between the value resorts and the moderate ones is that you get a fridge in your room. If you tell them in advance that you have medicine which you need to keep refridgerated, the value resort will put one in your room free of charge.

Always useful.

As far as restaurants go anyone eaten at Oharas i think its called in the Polynesian Resort. Amazing
did that last time i went, but on arrival they said they knew nothing about it so i complained and got one but not before they asked what the medicine was, luckily i planned for them asking  8)

Online owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2013, 08:47:27 am »
did that last time i went, but on arrival they said they knew nothing about it so i complained and got one but not before they asked what the medicine was, luckily i planned for them asking  8)
Haha, well played! I worked in one of their resorts on the check-in desk so I know all the tricks. The best advice I can give is to complain complain complain. Some fella complained there was a crayon on his bed when he checked in - I told him to do one, he asked to see the manager and ended up with 3 days of his stay knocked down to 50%.

Tell them you lost $10 on the laundry machine (yes you were stupid enough to keep putting in quarters even though it wasnt working) and they will give you $10 cash compensation.

They keep a record of EVERYTHING though. so if you complain it will be recorded against your booking and any future ones.

Offline Paulie's Wallnuts

• There's an old Italian saying: you fuck up once, you lose two teeth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow Me Fuckface
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2013, 09:22:07 am »
We went in November 2010 and it was the best holiday i've ever been on. We stayed in the Carribean Beach resort and it was fantastic. The meal card things (if they still do them) are well worth it. We managed to his 14 different parks in 14 days. It was a bit manic but I won't be able to afford to go back for a long time. Really recommend it to anyone who is thinking of going.
'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.'

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2013, 10:06:01 am »
Getting jealous of all those who are going soon, no plans to return anytime soon for us :(

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2013, 10:06:17 am »
We went in November 2010 and it was the best holiday i've ever been on. We stayed in the Carribean Beach resort and it was fantastic. The meal card things (if they still do them) are well worth it. We managed to his 14 different parks in 14 days. It was a bit manic but I won't be able to afford to go back for a long time. Really recommend it to anyone who is thinking of going.

That's where we're off to in February

I really need to start planning our days, cant really wing many days as I dont want to come home and realise we missed something we wanted to do/see

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2013, 10:46:54 am »
I'm of two thoughts on the whole planning thing.
On one hand I agree you don't want to miss something, but on the other hand it becomes too regimented if you're concentrating on rushing from place to place on a schedule.

We used to plan things pretty rigidly but last two times we played it more by ear with some dining reservations dotted round which we kept to.  And it was a much more relaxing way to do it

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2013, 11:07:20 am »
I'm of two thoughts on the whole planning thing.
On one hand I agree you don't want to miss something, but on the other hand it becomes too regimented if you're concentrating on rushing from place to place on a schedule.

We used to plan things pretty rigidly but last two times we played it more by ear with some dining reservations dotted round which we kept to.  And it was a much more relaxing way to do it

Yeah I think we're going to try and plan most of our days but try and have some freedom for a few days otherwise as you say it would be a bit rigid and maybe takes away some of the enjoyment of a holiday having every minute accounted for

Offline Paulie's Wallnuts

• There's an old Italian saying: you fuck up once, you lose two teeth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow Me Fuckface
« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2013, 11:28:42 am »
It depends what you want to see though. We did all of the Disney resorts, downtown Disney, Kennedy Space Center, Gaterland (which I wouldnt recommend) and the ESPN place.
'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.'

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #130 on: December 13, 2013, 11:57:55 am »
I say do light planning. Plan on what parks each day and a few essential must dos, but don't plan each minute. We will be doing Animal Kingdom one day, and apart from a character breakfast, have fast passes for the safari, Everest and Festival of the Lion King. Other than that, it's free reign. Everest will be my eldest daughters first roller coaster, so part of the reason for minimal plans is in case she loves it and wants to go on multiple times. Also, with three kids, you never know what will come up!
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2013, 03:52:53 pm »
Also, with three kids, you never know what will come up!
I think 'what comes up' is the reason you've got 3 kids in the first place :P

Online owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2013, 05:00:28 pm »
That's where we're off to in February

I really need to start planning our days, cant really wing many days as I dont want to come home and realise we missed something we wanted to do/see
Thats where I worked. I think Martinique is the best building when it comes to location for the shuttle bus, pools and being close to the Old Port Royale.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2013, 06:46:47 pm »
love florida

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2013, 11:17:46 am »
Just managed to book a table for Be Our Guest while we're there, every single day was showing sold out for the last week or so too. just chanced it and found one for our 3rd night there.

Offline TomMorganLittle

• Kopite
  • -P-U-N-X-
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2013, 01:57:36 pm »
Anybody know what the general ride hight is for the big rides?
-P-U-N-X-

Bastion of Invincibility

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2013, 02:04:52 pm »
Good work bruffel, not easy to get a table there

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: December 14, 2013, 04:00:21 pm »
Anybody know what the general ride hight is for the big rides?
48 inch mostly but a few of the really big ones like the Hulk are 54 inch.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 6, 2014, 02:27:27 pm »
Got back early Sunday morning, it was a great holiday. We told the kids Christmas morning we were going the next day, only the six year old really understood. It was an 1,100 mile drive, and we didn’t book a hotel along the way, instead deciding to play it by ear and see how far we could get. We ended up going all the way, getting to WDW at about 3AM. It was 20 hours total, about 17 actual driving and three for stops. This trip was a bit of a trial run as it’s the first time we’ve gone to Disney with three kids

The magic bands are hugely convenient, didn’t have a problem with them at all. It was nice not having to pull a card out to get in the room or to pay for merch. We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and we’ll stay there again when we go back, it’s a very nice resort and not too large.

Back on the magic bands, there is one draw back. You can book fast passes in advance, but only three per park per day. But, you can’t add to the three evewn when at the park. That’s opposed to the Key to the Kingdom cards, which you can get a fast pass every two hours. Perhaps because the magic bands are still new, but they are giving the cards out still, and we used those to get additional fast passes. A few employees were quite perturbed we did this for some reason.

The parks were packed, Magic Kingdom was closed to entry by 10AM on the 30th and 31st. But despite that we didn’t wait in line for a long time on any ride, partly due to fast passes, partly due to the quite new app which shows wait times. We also took advantage of switch passes. We took turns going up to the Fast Pass line holding a small child/pushing a pushchair, told them we couldn’t ride while the spouses did due to the child and got given a switch pass, which allows for three riders to go into the fast pass line. It’s a system open to abuse, and we did so a great deal. I’ve never ridden as many rides as I did this time, despite the crowds.

The fireworks on New Years were spectacular as you’d expect. Instead of having them above the castle only, for the finale they were above the castle and about 8 identical displays around the perimieter of Magic Kingdom so it was effectively daylight when they were all going off, there were that many fireworks.

We got four sets of the flashing ears, and they worked great for Fantasmic. But, there was practically no one else wearing them, so it was a little ineffective. We were on the front row, though, so didn’t give a shit, really.

We are going again for New Years 2016, I’m already looking forward to it! By then all the kids should all be over 40 inches so will be able to ride most of the rides. They all loved things like the teacups, which I spin relentlessly. The Barnstormer was popular with my two year old, and my six year old loved every rollercoaster. Whe was about an inch short for Rockin’ Roller-coaster, but I promised her she would ride it. And thanks to the thick in-room soap in the heels of her socks, she did a few days later

We got her Bibbity-Bobbity Boutique, which was expensive, but she enjoyed it. She also got picked to be The Beast in Belle’s story time in Fantasy Land (which wasn’t open last time we went). I also got her onto Jedi training, but due to weather she got her pic with Vader, but didn’t get to fight him.

Back at work today, and it’s shit :)

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 6, 2014, 03:46:44 pm »
Brilliant laughed out loud at the soap in the socks  ;D ;D

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #140 on: January 6, 2014, 03:48:01 pm »
does anyone know when the least busy time is ????

i understand that new year and summer are nightmares but wonder when the best time is ??

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #141 on: January 6, 2014, 04:03:45 pm »
January is traditionally quiet, as is September.
Anytime that avoids school holidays, either English or American is pretty quiet.
I've been a few times in July and August though and never found it horrible for crowds

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 6, 2014, 05:00:56 pm »
I wanna take three kids and the gf but honestly don't know where to start.

Seems cheaper getting flights and a hotel and then the park tickets separately????

I went on the proper Disney site and they wanted like four and half grand but it seemed cheaper doing it all separately, maybe I fucked up my calculations though I dunno...

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #143 on: January 6, 2014, 05:03:07 pm »
You'll (usually) be better doing it separately.  The packages from Disney and Virgin Holidays usually have pretty big mark ups.
When you going and how long for?

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 6, 2014, 05:07:50 pm »
You'll (usually) be better doing it separately.  The packages from Disney and Virgin Holidays usually have pretty big mark ups.
When you going and how long for?

Wanted to go next year rather than this (kids will be 3 and 4 1/2 then) plus I need to save, for a couple of weeks in July/august

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #145 on: January 6, 2014, 05:16:02 pm »
Couple of weeks in July or August for £4.5k package for 2 adults and 3 kids seems great value!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 6, 2014, 05:26:15 pm »
Couple of weeks in July or August for £4.5k package for 2 adults and 3 kids seems great value!
;D

Ours, which included resort, park tickets and meal package for 7 nights in a moderate resort was about $2,100 or so. This was over New Years, but included two kids who were free park entry and no meals.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 6, 2014, 05:31:29 pm »

Hang on, that's just flights and hotel haha. So like another grand and half for ultimate 14 day disney tickets, knew I fucked up somewhere...

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #148 on: January 6, 2014, 06:03:09 pm »
Ha thought it seemed cheap, not bad price for including flights though, our flights alone for last Easter were £3k for two of us!

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #149 on: January 6, 2014, 08:41:25 pm »
Am I the only one here that thinks the whole Walt Disney thing is weird?
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #150 on: January 6, 2014, 08:50:28 pm »
Probably not. Then again to each their own

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #151 on: January 6, 2014, 08:50:44 pm »
Which part is weird?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #152 on: January 6, 2014, 08:51:58 pm »
I assume he means the whole falseness of it all maybe?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 6, 2014, 08:52:33 pm »
I assume he means the whole falseness of it all maybe?

They make movies, which part is supposed to be real?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #154 on: January 6, 2014, 08:53:05 pm »
I thought he meant Disney World? As that's what the thread is about ;)

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 6, 2014, 08:53:56 pm »
I thought he meant Disney World? As that's what the thread is about ;)

Stemming from a company that makes movies though, cartoon movies which most of the characters are based on?

Its supposed to be fake, I think.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #156 on: January 6, 2014, 08:55:39 pm »
No arguments from me, I was just trying to second guess what Kesey meant.
As a tourist destination the whole place is very removed from reality. Which is a boon to some yet some hate it

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #157 on: January 6, 2014, 08:58:35 pm »

This is why I went for 3 weeks.  While it is possible to do all the theme parks in 2 weeks, its a bit manic, and I loved waking up and asking myself "Sit by the pool all day, go shopping, or go to a theme park?"
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 6, 2014, 08:58:35 pm »
Bu that's the thing its supposed to be as far removed from reality as possible. Where young people (lets not kid ourselves Disney world isn't a place for very small children, mickey mouse is a 6 foot bloody rat) to immerse themselves in a fantasy world where everyone is a princess and they can see a castle, "meet" the characters they see on tv, and just have a fun time.

Honestly I enjoyed some of the other aspects to it, but not the ones catering to young people. And I was only there for a couple of days.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #159 on: January 6, 2014, 09:00:52 pm »
Bu that's the thing its supposed to be as far removed from reality as possible. Where young people (lets not kid ourselves Disney world isn't a place for very small children, mickey mouse is a 6 foot bloody rat) to immerse themselves in a fantasy world where everyone is a princess and they can see a castle, "meet" the characters they see on tv, and just have a fun time.

Honestly I enjoyed some of the other aspects to it, but not the ones catering to young people. And I was only there for a couple of days.

Stop arguing with me when we think the same thing!!! ;)

Hopefully Kesey will turn up and explain so I can stop second guessing him