Author Topic: Chillies  (Read 49981 times)

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
Re: Chillies
« Reply #160 on: September 2, 2009, 08:16:08 pm »
I was going to make a vindaloo on Saturday but I never got round to it, so tonight I made up for it. I made a big fucking pot of the stuff. I didn't use anything from out of a jar either, I cooked it all from scratch and used all the traditional ingredients including potatoes. It took me about an hour and a half from start to finish but fuck me, it was worth it. Obviously I threw in a chilli or two. I used red Cayenne (chopped) and a few Jalepeno's (whole)

I just finished a kings portion of the stuff and it was heavenly. I even got enough left for at least 3 more dinners so its tucked away in the fridge now to let the flavours muse over night. As you can see I accompanied my meal with a few Cobra beers. I got a full case of them for 18 euro. Theres just no beating a vindaloo with a few beers, and feeling the sweat rollin off your forehead, its the culinary equivilent of sex.

If anyone wants the recipe just drop us a PM.
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #161 on: September 2, 2009, 08:32:22 pm »
I was going to make a vindaloo on Saturday but I never got round to it, so tonight I made up for it. I made a big fucking pot of the stuff. I didn't use anything from out of a jar either, I cooked it all from scratch and used all the traditional ingredients including potatoes. It took me about an hour and a half from start to finish but fuck me, it was worth it. Obviously I threw in a chilli or two. I used red Cayenne (chopped) and a few Jalepeno's (whole)

I just finished a kings portion of the stuff and it was heavenly. I even got enough left for at least 3 more dinners so its tucked away in the fridge now to let the flavours muse over night. As you can see I accompanied my meal with a few Cobra beers. I got a full case of them for 18 euro. Theres just no beating a vindaloo with a few beers, and feeling the sweat rollin off your forehead, its the culinary equivilent of sex.

If anyone wants the recipe just drop us a PM.

not bothered about the recipe, just send me the leftovers
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #162 on: September 2, 2009, 08:36:48 pm »
not bothered about the recipe, just send me the leftovers

;D

Not a fucking chance lad :P
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Dam

• Legacy Fan
  • Rush scored 1, Rush scored 2,...
« Reply #163 on: September 2, 2009, 08:58:53 pm »
Gladly take the recipe off you mate. If you know as much about vindaloo as you do about chillis, there's gonna be one happy household here when I cook it

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #164 on: September 2, 2009, 09:00:23 pm »
Gladly take the recipe off you mate. If you know as much about vindaloo as you do about chillis, there's gonna be one happy household here when I cook it

What he said please
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #165 on: September 2, 2009, 09:24:06 pm »
I've gotten a few PM's already so I may aswell just copy and paste the recipe for you all here in the thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need:

4 chicken breast (diced into cubes)
3 large onions (chopped)
8 cloves of garlic (chopped)
3 inches of ginger (peeled and chopped)
1 tablespoon of tumeric
1 tablespoon of paprika
1 table spoon of ground sinnamon
1 red & 1 yellow sweet bell pepper
6 red cayenne chillies (chopped and keep the seeds) add more depending on how hot you like it, 6 is very hot
4 peeled potatoes
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 small tub of fresh cream
1 pint of chicken stock (or 1 pint of boiling water will do fine)
1 packet of vindaloo spice mix or paste (preferrably green saffron)

For the best results I'd suggest that you marinade your meat over night. I used 4 diced chicken breasts and marinaded them in a bowl with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 8 tablespoons of malt vinegar, 1 teaspoon of tomatoe puree, and a sprinkling of ground cayenne pepper. Make the marinade in the bowl first, then lob in your diced chicken breast, stir around to coat all the pieces, cover with cling film and pop it in the fridge over night. You can vary the marinade if you like. I just do it because it adds flavour to the chicken.

The cooking:

I like everything to be pre prepared before the pot goes on the hob so I'd suggest using the following procedure

1. Chop your onions, garlic cloves, and ginger, and put in a bowl. Don't chop them too finely, keep them nice & chunky
2. Chop your red and yellow bell peppers, aswell as your cayenne chillies, but put them in seperate bowls.
3. Peel your potatoes
4. Make sure the spices you need are at hand. e.g the sinnamon, tumeric, and paprika, aswell as your tin of chopped tomatoes and tub of cream
5. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a large knob of butter in a large saucepan on medium heat
6. Add your onions, garlic and ginger and fry until slightly golden (about 4 or 5 minutes)
7. Then add your chicken breasts (including the marinade) and fry until the chicken is white/brown on the outside (about 6 to 8 minutes)
8 Then add your tin of chopped tomatoes, tub of cream, and pint of chicken stock (or boiling water)
9. Turn the heat up to full whack for one minute whilst stirring continuosly until a broth forms.
10. Add your vindaloo spice mix or paste and reduce to low heat
11. Continue stirring for a minute until everything settles.

*At this stage it shouldn't be too thick, it should be nice and thin, like soup. Add a little bit more water if needs be

12. Add your bell peppers and cayenne chillies
13. Add your table spoons of tumeric, paprika, and sinnamon, aswell as your peeled potatoes
14. Turn down to lowest heat, cover with a lid and leave it to simmer for 40 minutes (stir it ever 10 minutes)
15. Remove lid and let simmer on low heat until the sauce reduces.

*If you want it thicker just add a stock cube, if you prefer thinner then you can add water again

Serve with corriander, garlic naan bread, and a cold beer. Enjoy squires :wave

Offline wednesday25052005

• Kopite
  • JFT96
« Reply #166 on: September 3, 2009, 04:56:56 pm »
They're the business. Absolutely love them in currys too.

The hottest I've eaten is probably the Red Savina, thats some serious heat. I ate it in a Mexican restaraunt when I was in New York. Its like swallowing a lump of hot coal. You can literally feel it scorching your wind pipe as it goes down. Then cue the watery eyes, the runny nose, and cold sweats down your spine.

For anyone who isn't aware, the heat of Chilli's are measured in Scoville units. Your typical Jalepeno pepper is roughly 6000 Scoville units, the Red Savina is over 500,000 units. As far as Im aware, the Jaga Morich (Sp?) is the hottest pepper in the world. Those litlle fuckers clear over a million units 

Red Savina and the JM's - Where do you get them from?

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: September 3, 2009, 05:20:18 pm »
there are some wicked people around!
http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/whole_chillies.htm
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #168 on: September 3, 2009, 05:35:23 pm »
Red Savina and the JM's - Where do you get them from?

I don't know, you'll have to google that one mate. I've never come across either of them here (Ireland)

Both are insanely hot, especially the Jaga Morich, which is in the Guinness book of records as the worlds hottest chilli pepper

I wouldn't even try a Jaga Morich, nor would I try a Red Savina ever again, once was enough for me. It rightly fucked me up for about 4 hours it did. I couldn't eat my meal in the end. I couldn't talk, even swallowing my own saliva became excruciating, my sinus was on fire, my eyes wouldn't stop watering. About 4 hours later it wore off. Serves me right for eating one whole. 

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #169 on: September 3, 2009, 05:39:49 pm »
there are some wicked people around!
http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/whole_chillies.htm

The "Pene De Diablo" looks nice ;D

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2009, 07:59:53 pm »
About time we had some Picture updates in here?

What you got Gents?
           even better tomorrow.

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2009, 10:33:22 pm »
Anyone know the best place to buy those 'ghost peppers'. My local landlord slipped a Savina in my steak baguette a year ago, and I was already pissed, so I couldn't even get to the bathroom.

I remember waking up with blood in my mouth with my toothbrush in my mouth, so I can only imagine how bad it got. But anyway, I've been pining for revenge ever since.
hi

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2009, 11:00:38 pm »
Sorry to go off topic but out of interest is the Habanero the hottest Chilli Pepper?.Ate one for 15 quid when I was younger and was told by a friend it was the hottest Chilli Pepper you could get.Unbearably hot,tongue was on fire for about 3 hours afterwards although undoubtedly they're not supposed to be eaten like that ;D Sorry,if I'm miles off
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: September 14, 2009, 11:54:05 pm »
Sorry to go off topic but out of interest is the Habanero the hottest Chilli Pepper?.Ate one for 15 quid when I was younger and was told by a friend it was the hottest Chilli Pepper you could get.Unbearably hot,tongue was on fire for about 3 hours afterwards although undoubtedly they're not supposed to be eaten like that ;D Sorry,if I'm miles off

The Dorset Naga

Dont even think about it!
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article700700.ece

The chilli so hot you need gloves
By Simon de Bruxelles
Recommend? (4)

THE world’s hottest chilli pepper does not come from a tropical hot spot where the locals are impervious to its fiery heat but a smallholding in deepest Dorset.

Some chillis are fierce enough to make your eyes water. Anyone foolhardy enough to eat a whole Dorset Naga would almost certainly require hospital treatment.

The pepper, almost twice as hot as the previous record- holder, was grown by Joy and Michael Michaud in a poly- tunnel at their market garden. The couple run a business called Peppers by Post and spent four years developing the Dorset Naga.

They knew the 2cm-long specimens were hot because they had to wear gloves and remove the seeds outdoors when preparing them for drying, but had no idea they had grown a record-breaker.

Some customers complained the peppers were so fiery that even half a small one would make a curry too hot to eat. Others loved them and the Michauds sold a quarter of a million Dorset Nagas last year. At the end of last season Mrs Michaud sent a sample to a laboratory in America out of curiosity. The owner had never tested anything like it.

According to Mrs Michaud, the hottest habaρero peppers popular in chilli-eating competitions in the US generally measure about 100,000 units on the standard Scoville scale, named after its inventor, Wilbur Scoville, who developed it in 1912. At first the scale was a subjective taste test but it later developed into the measure of capsaicinoids present. The hottest chilli pepper in The Guinness Book of Records is a Red Savina habaρero with a rating of 570,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU).

Mrs Michaud was stunned when the Dorset Naga gave a reading of nearly 900,000SHU. A fresh sample was sent to a lab in New York used by the American Spice Trade Association and recorded a mouth-numbing 923,000SHUs.

Mrs Michaud said: “The man in the first lab was so excited — he’d never had one even half as hot as that. The second lab took a long time because they were checking it carefully as it was so outrageously high.”

The Dorset Naga was grown from a plant that originated in Bangladesh. The Michauds bought their original plant in an oriental store in Bournemouth. Mrs Michaud said: “We weren’t even selecting the peppers for hotness but for shape and flavour. There is an element of machismo in peppers that we aren’t really interested in. When the results of the heat tests came back I was gobsmacked.”

The couple are now seeking Plant Variety Protection from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, which will mean that no one else can sell the seeds.

Mrs Michaud, 48, has run the company with her husband at West Bexington, near Dorchester, for ten years. Mr Michaud, 56, has been a regular on the television chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s River Cottage series, advising on vegetable growing.

Anyone wanting to try the Dorset Naga will have to be patient as chillis are harvested only from July on. In Bangladesh the chillies grow in temperatures of well over 100F (38C) but in Dorset they thrive in polytunnels.

Aktar Miha, from the Indus Bangladeshi restaurant in Bournemouth, said that even in its home country the naga chilli was treated with respect. “It is used in some cooking, mainly with fish curries, but most people don’t cook with it. They hold it by the stalk and just touch their food with it,” he said.

“It has a refreshing smell and a very good taste but you don’t want too much of it. It is a killer chilli and you have to be careful and wash your hands and the cutting board. If you don’t know what you are doing it could blow your head off.”

FROM HOT TO NOT

Scoville Heat Units

Pure capsaicin: 15m to 16m

US Police-grade pepper spray: 5m

Dorset Naga: 923,000

Red Savina habanero: 577,000

Scotch bonnet: 100,000-325,000

Jamaican hot pepper: 100,000-200,000

Cayenne pepper: 30,000-50,000

Jalapeno pepper: 2,500-8,000

Tabasco sauce: 2,500

Pimento: 100 to 500

Bell pepper: 0
           even better tomorrow.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2009, 01:57:16 am »
I had a jala earlier on a pizza. It was hot but 'nice' hot. Scotch bonnets are growing well. Will get some pics up when they've grown a bit more.

I think it might be too late for them to develop further outdoors in the greenhouse, so will have to move them indoors soon...
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2009, 07:46:41 pm »
alright well I can say I ate the second hottest chilli pepper in the world ;D,that will do me
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: September 15, 2009, 07:49:10 pm »
alright well I can say I ate the second hottest chilli pepper in the world ;D,that will do me

better man than me!
           even better tomorrow.

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: September 15, 2009, 07:56:03 pm »
better man than me!
Haha,I can safely say I wont be doing it again though,fucking horrifically hot ;D

Offline rao

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #178 on: September 15, 2009, 10:42:42 pm »
Damn, this is making me hungry. Have got all the ingredients to make chilli con carne apart from a red pepper, but have decided to wait until tomorrow and get it sorted just before the match starts.

Will have :

2 red chilli peppers, 1 green,
1 onion,
1 pack of closed cap mushrooms,
1 red pepper,
minced beef,
1 tin of napolina chopped tomatoes with pepper and chilli,
1 pack of schwartz hot chilli con carne mix,
1 pack of tilda rice.

Don't really know how I'm gonna make it apart from cooking the beef then making some random mix from the rest, then adding rice, but hopefully it'll rule. Damn I'm dying to eat it just thinking about it.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2009, 11:05:46 pm »
jalapenos are on par with sex

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2009, 11:30:44 am »
jalapenos are on par with sex

Just ate my first Tabasco off the bush. To be honest a tiny fraction of a Tabasco of the bush.

I am in pain. somethings not right. they shouldn't be this hot.
           even better tomorrow.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 19, 2009, 02:21:35 pm »
Your tobascoes turn red yet? There's loads of red ones on ours but not tasted any yet. Off to uni tomorrow so will take a few to chuck in some pasta or whatever! Scotch bonnets growing well as are jalapenos- everything's still in the greenhouse for now. Fingers crossed for the good weather to hold out another few weeks!

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 19, 2009, 02:41:29 pm »
Your tobascoes turn red yet? There's loads of red ones on ours but not tasted any yet. Off to uni tomorrow so will take a few to chuck in some pasta or whatever! Scotch bonnets growing well as are jalapenos- everything's still in the greenhouse for now. Fingers crossed for the good weather to hold out another few weeks!

nope, greeny yellow. hot as you like.

even better tomorrow.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: September 19, 2009, 02:43:41 pm »

Good luck with that...  Take lots and win beer in the bar with them..
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: October 11, 2009, 03:20:41 pm »
Just wondering how everyone is getting on? tabasco plant is now 6 foot!

Jals still going strong...  when do they stop?
           even better tomorrow.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: October 11, 2009, 03:34:43 pm »
Tobascoes are fiery red, jalapenos and scotch bonnets plants have grown amazingly well still- though none have ripened and probably won't now. I reckon they'll start dying in a few weeks- hoping for another week of nice warm sunlight and some red scotch bonnets and jalapenos!

Would move the plants inside but I think there's a load of flies who have made them home; wouldn't want to introduce them into the house.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: October 11, 2009, 04:30:37 pm »
Tobascoes are fiery red, jalapenos and scotch bonnets plants have grown amazingly well still- though none have ripened and probably won't now. I reckon they'll start dying in a few weeks- hoping for another week of nice warm sunlight and some red scotch bonnets and jalapenos!

Would move the plants inside but I think there's a load of flies who have made them home; wouldn't want to introduce them into the house.

Mine never been outside!!  Jals still have mix green to black orange then red. Tabasco still greeny yellow hot as hell though! the plant is out of control
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Lee-Block105

• Still refuses to sleep with the moderators to get a custom title
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 14
« Reply #187 on: October 11, 2009, 04:52:29 pm »
Always add x4 bird eye chillies to my Vindaloo but got used to the heat and went for x2 Dorset Naggers, Ate about half and just couldn't continue. Tried again the week later and just added 1 and finshied the lot.

Think i am seriously addicted to hot chilles!!!
Ticket Exchange Trade Count 300+

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #188 on: October 11, 2009, 05:30:07 pm »
I've pretty much used up all the peppers that I sowed in April :(

It's probably a good thing though because I think I'm on the verge of giving myself an ulcer. For the last month I've been putting chillies in everything, and I mean fucking everything. I even put them in my scrambled egg in the morning. I've eaten enough salsa in the last 6 weeks to feed half of Mexico. I think I better give my stomach a break. When I make a curry (like the vindaloo above) I usually make a big pot of it, so I get 3 to 4 dinners out of it. Eating vindaloo 4 days in a row cant be good like. I'll have to go cold turkey for a while and revert to eating spiceless food. 

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: October 11, 2009, 05:41:48 pm »
I've pretty much used up all the peppers that I sowed in April :(

It's probably a good thing though because I think I'm on the verge of giving myself an ulcer. For the last month I've been putting chillies in everything, and I mean fucking everything. I even put them in my scrambled egg in the morning. I've eaten enough salsa in the last 6 weeks to feed half of Mexico. I think I better give my stomach a break. When I make a curry (like the vindaloo above) I usually make a big pot of it, so I get 3 to 4 dinners out of it. Eating vindaloo 4 days in a row cant be good like. I'll have to go cold turkey for a while and revert to eating spiceless food. 

;D you got a good salsa recipe?
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2009, 06:39:37 pm »
;D you got a good salsa recipe?

Yeah, I've got loads, I'm sorted. Cheers anyway.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2009, 09:37:28 pm »
Yeah, I've got loads, I'm sorted. Cheers anyway.

was looking for one not offering!
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #192 on: October 11, 2009, 11:26:21 pm »
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 11:28:39 pm by Billy The Kid. »

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2009, 11:56:18 pm »
Mine never been outside!!  Jals still have mix green to black orange then red. Tabasco still greeny yellow hot as hell though! the plant is out of control

I checked the chillis this weekend after being at uni, expecting the colder weather to have curbed their growth, but the SB and jala bushes had grown quite a lot. So I'm hoping it's still not *quite* cold enough for them in the greenhouse. Although I heard the word 'frost' in one of the weather reports for this week, and I think that could spell the end.

Ah well, still have half the packet of seeds I ordered of each- will get them sown indoors in March/April time and move them into the greenhouse in May/June- I think this year I sowed them in June and it was just a month or so too late.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: October 12, 2009, 12:19:11 pm »
;D

Theres loads here:

www.letmegooglesomesalasrecipesforyouyoulazyfucker.com :P

Well thanks for that, heres me giving you the chance to spread some love and your favourite recipes and you abuse me ;D

even better tomorrow.

Offline "Nookie".

• Boooooooooooooooooo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2010, 08:28:24 pm »
Thought I'd revive this thread to as a few questions..

When is the best time to start growing chillies? I'll be growing them indoors as I don't have a greenhouse, but will be buying one if things go well.

I already have the seeds, a few different varieties, and I'm just waiting for the right time. How long do they normally take from planting to being able to pick chillies off?

I know a lot of people grow in different ways, just wondering whether there is any general consensus on here as to what is the best way?

Cheers in advance :wave
FLOORING SPECIALIST

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2010, 08:33:22 pm »
I didn't use anything from out of a jar either, I cooked it all from scratch and used all the traditional ingredients

"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2010, 08:53:03 pm »
I didn't use anything from out of a jar either, I cooked it all from scratch and used all the traditional ingredients

Jars are things that are made of glass, packets are usually made from a variant of paper. Theres a slight difference :wave

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2010, 08:56:15 pm »
I once saw a lad, in our Sqn bar in Northern Ireland, put a chilli seed up his Jap's eye for a 20p bet.

I wouldn't recommend it.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2010, 09:09:55 pm »
When is the best time to start growing chillies?

Around late April or early May, they need warmth to propogate, so keep your eye on the weather forecasts, if there is a warm week forecasted in your area (or even a 3 to 4 day stretch) then start planting.

I'll be growing them indoors as I don't have a greenhouse, but will be buying one if things go well.

If your going to try to grow them indoors then keep them on a window cill that receives sunlight in the afternoon as opposed to the morning time. Even in warm summer months, the morning sun is never as warm as the afternoon sun. If they are in the shade during the 3 to 6 pm timeframe then they aren't going to grow properly.

I already have the seeds, a few different varieties, and I'm just waiting for the right time. How long do they normally take from planting to being able to pick chillies off?

It depends on the type of chillie, and it also depends on weather you prefer them green, yellow or red. About 4 months is generally the time frame as long as the weather is reasonably good.

I know a lot of people grow in different ways, just wondering whether there is any general consensus on here as to what is the best way?

I posted this a few pages back, I hope it helps
I've always found that to get the best results you really need to look after them for the first few weeks. It doesn't really matter what kind of Chillies you intend to grow, if you don't look after them then they'll end up fucked. I usually plant mine in loads of small pots. Then I tie them up in plastic shopping bags and place them on the sill in the greenhouse to let them propogate. I water them twice a day, every day for the first few weeks.

I never use a watering can though, as too much water can drown and rot the root. I use a spray, usually a finished bottle of windowlean or something like that, filled with water. The spray keeps them nice and moist. If they're kept moist and get enough warmth inside the bags they'll sprout right up.

Once they're big enough I put them into bigger pots so the roots can grow deeper and just throw away the bags. Again, just keep them moist and let them soak up the sun. Once they're ready its curry time. A curry made with ones own chillies is truly monumentous. Happy growing sir !!