Author Topic: The Simpsons - The Blurst of thread  (Read 343035 times)

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Re: The Simpsons - The Blurst of thread
« Reply #2160 on: October 15, 2018, 10:31:35 pm »
I wouldn't say the episode is great but one of my most fondly remembered scenes is from the episode where Bart and some friends are formed into that boyband and Lisa goes to confront the producer about subliminal messaging:

Lisa peels the dot of the L.T. Smash nameplate
"Huh.... Lieutenant Smash"!
"That's right, Lieutenant L.T. Smash"

Then a minute later...

Lt. Smash looking out the window
"Now that you know Lisa, I'm afraid I can't let you leave"
Sees Lisa outside walking calmly down the street
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2161 on: October 15, 2018, 11:01:35 pm »
Last Exit to Springfield is a classic.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #2162 on: October 26, 2018, 07:55:35 pm »
Oh gosh. You know, I'm not much on speeches, but, it's so gratifying to leave you wallowing in the mess you've made. You're screwed. Thank you. Bye.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2163 on: October 27, 2018, 09:37:07 am »
Oh gosh. You know, I'm not much on speeches, but, it's so gratifying to leave you wallowing in the mess you've made. You're screwed. Thank you. Bye.

'He's right, he ain't much on speeches'
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #2164 on: October 27, 2018, 10:11:50 am »

Possibly the last time they had a special guest (Steve Martin) not playing themselves?

Was better for it.

Dustin Hoffman
Christina Ricci
Kathleen Turner
Albert Brooks
Johnny Cash

Probably loads more
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #2165 on: October 27, 2018, 10:18:37 am »
Possibly the last time they had a special guest (Steve Martin) not playing themselves?

Was better for it.

Dustin Hoffman
Christina Ricci
Kathleen Turner
Albert Brooks
Johnny Cash

Probably loads more
Probably one of the last truly great episodes. Homer was intelligent in classic Homer's way, not so it could introduce the week's wacky story designed to shoehorn in the celebrity flavour of the month.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2166 on: October 27, 2018, 11:56:04 pm »
Not that anyone gives a shit about the new episodes but Apu is to be dropped following that stupid racism fiasco.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2167 on: October 28, 2018, 06:00:23 am »
Not that anyone gives a shit about the new episodes but Apu is to be dropped following that stupid racism fiasco.

Yeah. It seems a number of 2nd generation South Asian-Americans (particularly Indian-Americans) were seriously wound-up by the character. I'm not too comfortable with it especially having watched the documentary that led to all of this. If anything, I thought the guy making the documentary came across as a tiresome prick.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2168 on: October 28, 2018, 06:06:34 am »
I'm Indian and I think it's bullshit. Tons of characters on the show are stereotypes. Groundskeeper Willie, Bumblebee Man, Cletus...

People just looking for a reason to get offended and ruin it for everyone else.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #2169 on: October 28, 2018, 07:07:58 am »
I'm Indian and I think it's bullshit. Tons of characters on the show are stereotypes. Groundskeeper Willie, Bumblebee Man, Cletus...

Agree, I know people of German, French and Italian heritage who all thought Allo Allo was one of the funniest things they’d ever seen, it wouldn’t even be made now.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2170 on: October 28, 2018, 08:10:06 am »
Maybe the will just remove Apu from old episodes and stop showing Friends episodes that have any gay reference.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 09:25:14 am by a treeless whopper »

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2171 on: October 28, 2018, 08:28:47 am »

fat Tony, Chief Wiggum.  And Homer is probably the biggest stereotype of them all.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2172 on: October 28, 2018, 08:30:20 am »
Maybe the will just remove Apu from old episodes and stop showing Friends episodes that any gay reference.

Or Chandler's dad. Oh and Ugly Naked Guy. Better not to show any episode, really. I'm sure there'll be something to offend someone

Sad part is, this is like the boy who cried wolf, isn't it? Basically calling anything and everything as racist or sexist or transphobic will take away their impact for when it's really needed.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2173 on: October 28, 2018, 08:34:25 am »
fat Tony, Chief Wiggum.  And Homer is probably the biggest stereotype of them all.

The pizza parlor owner is named Luigi FFS and talks in such a heavy accent :D

He has one of my favorite lines of the while show btw:

Luigi: Seymour, you want your usual table?
Skinner: No, Luigi. I’d like one with two seats. I’ll be dining with a friend tonight.
Luigi: Hey, good for you!
Skinner (to Bart): They treat you real nice here.
Luigi (offscreen): Hey, Salvatore, guess who’s here! Mr. Kookalamanza and-a some real ugly kid.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #2174 on: October 28, 2018, 09:11:37 am »
Simpsons is dogshit now anyway, but dropping Apu is ridiculous.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2175 on: October 28, 2018, 09:34:09 am »
Or Chandler's dad. Oh and Ugly Naked Guy. Better not to show any episode, really. I'm sure there'll be something to offend someone

Sad part is, this is like the boy who cried wolf, isn't it? Basically calling anything and everything as racist or sexist or transphobic will take away their impact for when it's really needed.

It was basically that stupid shite comedian trying to get airtime and a load of celebrities jumping on the bandwagon.

The person who got it worst was Hank Azaria. It was ridiculous how he was almost forced to apologise about it on the Colbert show. Lost a lot of respect for Colbert on the back of that.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2176 on: October 28, 2018, 01:10:44 pm »
I imagine there'll be some kind of plotline involving Apu being replaced by a one-dimensional character artificially engineered to please the people getting annoyed about this all. That's the likeliest outcome because it's the only way they could come up with a solution that pisses off everyone at once.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #2177 on: October 28, 2018, 02:08:02 pm »
Someone told me about this Apu news and I honestly thought it was a joke. What a ridiculous decision.

The person who got it worst was Hank Azaria. It was ridiculous how he was almost forced to apologise about it on the Colbert show. Lost a lot of respect for Colbert on the back of that.
I’ll have to look this up but I already know it’s going to wind me up.

Why are American talk show hosts suddenly acting like they’re the arbiters of all that is good and correct in the world?

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2178 on: October 28, 2018, 02:18:13 pm »

I did get offended sometimes when I watched Friends. I felt they shouldn't have shown some episodes for crimes against comedy.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2179 on: October 28, 2018, 02:38:29 pm »
I always thought Apu was somewhat fleshed out for the stereotype characters: he's not just the Indian store owner. We learn that he's a bit of a Playboy and a ladies man before he marries manjula, he's vegan, he likes to sing, he's a volunteer firefighter, and generally well intergrated into the community. He has development beyond his race in the fact that he gets married, has kids, has an affair. He's not serve tile as the documentary states, he is polite but does have a wider range of emotions when pushed.

It's more than the likes of Groundskeeper Willie (and drunk Scotsman) Fat Tony (Italian American Mobster) Lindsey Naegle (cold, stern, caonniving business woman with commitment issues)

It all seems ridiculous and to be honest, of the stereotype Apu seems the most human and real

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2180 on: October 28, 2018, 04:41:13 pm »
They’re pretty much all stereotypes aren’t they?  ;D

Bizarre that they’d actually pay any attention.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2181 on: October 28, 2018, 09:40:51 pm »
Do people still watch the simpsons??

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2182 on: October 28, 2018, 10:48:15 pm »
Annoying woke Americans being offended over nothing and spoiling people's fun? Nah, don't believe it.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2183 on: October 29, 2018, 08:23:14 am »
Do people still watch the simpsons??

Not the new ones.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2184 on: October 29, 2018, 08:36:26 am »
Annoying woke Americans being offended over nothing and spoiling people's fun? Nah, don't believe it.

Politically they still have a point and I am fully supportive of them but in terms of culturally and especially in media, comedy and entertainment, the left have lost the fucking plot.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2185 on: October 29, 2018, 08:44:17 am »
Load of shite. Offended by everything.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2186 on: October 29, 2018, 08:47:27 am »
This is worse than when they stopped making It Ain't Half Hot Mum.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #2187 on: October 29, 2018, 08:57:12 am »
In few years after dropping Apu, people will be complaining that there isn’t enough racial diversity in the show.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 09:15:34 am by FitzLFC80 »
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #2188 on: October 29, 2018, 11:39:38 am »
Hope those offended by Apu don't ever watch Family Guy...
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #2189 on: October 29, 2018, 02:19:39 pm »
I was going to write a strong worded email to the Simpsons producers regarding the stereotyping of "Groundskeeper Willie", however I've never been sober enough to do so.
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline Austin Powers

• Fuk Mi? Fuk Yu!
  • Kopite
« Reply #2190 on: October 29, 2018, 10:07:53 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Vbcr7UbmfEg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Vbcr7UbmfEg</a>

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #2191 on: October 30, 2018, 08:13:16 pm »
In few years after dropping Apu, people will be complaining that there isn’t enough racial diversity in the show.

Who is this fucking tool complaining about Apu and who died and made him spokesman for the 1.2 billion Indians on the planet because I didn’t receive a voting card, and if I did I wouldn’t vote for that fuckwit. What’s next, Rupert Murdoch is upset about the portrayal of billionaires in Mr Burns?

And is is a stereotype if it’s true? Because when the show first started, a lot of Indians did own stores and like anyone who owns their own business they don’t like taking days off, they do talk with an accent and a lot of them work with their brothers. It’s nothing new, it’s a well trodden path by immigrants across the world and isn’t something we should be ashamed of or try and hide. It’s what makes us what we are.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2192 on: October 31, 2018, 03:15:29 am »
Who is this fucking tool complaining about Apu and who died and made him spokesman for the 1.2 billion Indians on the planet because I didn’t receive a voting card, and if I did I wouldn’t vote for that fuckwit. What’s next, Rupert Murdoch is upset about the portrayal of billionaires in Mr Burns?

And is is a stereotype if it’s true? Because when the show first started, a lot of Indians did own stores and like anyone who owns their own business they don’t like taking days off, they do talk with an accent and a lot of them work with their brothers. It’s nothing new, it’s a well trodden path by immigrants across the world and isn’t something we should be ashamed of or try and hide. It’s what makes us what we are.

A successful immigrant entrepreneur is a bad thing, apparently

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2193 on: October 31, 2018, 01:42:48 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ik0BPKM9WQg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ik0BPKM9WQg</a>

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2194 on: October 31, 2018, 08:00:08 pm »
A successful immigrant entrepreneur is a bad thing, apparently

Certainly is to Trump's supporters!

Offline Straw hat pirate

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2195 on: November 1, 2018, 08:32:51 am »

Luckily, it doesn't affect you then. I'm Indian as well and why you are getting outraged at an AMERICAN TV show is being forced to be more respectful because AMERICANS of Indian decent took issue to it is baffling to me. I mean it's not surprising that the BJP and their message of Hindustani pride is so popular when some Indians seem to follow a cookie cutter approach based on American cultural wars. But that is besides the issue.

following that stupid racism fiasco.

From a White POV maybe

Politically they still have a point and I am fully supportive of them but in terms of culturally and especially in media, comedy and entertainment, the left have lost the fucking plot.

The one place where the left has remained relevant is the media. Western media (maybe excepting British) is unbelievably racist and seems incapable of reforming. Whilst there are places in the world like Russia, Middle East and North Africa that seem to lean towards media products from India, America comprehensively conquered the West and now because of sitting on large stockpiles of cash they are making in roads to other countries which is why the blow back you are seeing now is going to get more and more severe.

China has just banned Hollywood movies without Chinese actors in them, looking forward to India doing the same.

Absolutely, as he should. In fact he should be sacked without having a job ever again. A white man playing an Indian mans voice which isn't even accurate. How bloody ridiculous and typical western nonsense

Offline Straw hat pirate

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2196 on: November 1, 2018, 08:39:27 am »

Aren't you British? So not sure why you're getting wound up over an American who took issue to this character or speaking for 1.2 billion Indians I do not know.

The interpretation of this character is also hilarious. Most of the other accents are on point but his is ridiculously over exaggerated. Which Indian speaks like that - a Malyali maybe but even that is pushing it and there aren't many Malyalis in Los Angeles.

I once had a White British girl tell me my accent was 'attractive' for an Indian. She didn't understand why I just walked off. Had another Canadian tell me they learnt so much about Hindu culture from Apu.
Lol, baffling people.

It is clear as day now that the only people who can write stories about us will be us, not even Indian Americans or British Indians and we will slowly exert our influence all over the world just as the RSS has made in roads into American universities. There can be no negotiation on this

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2197 on: November 1, 2018, 08:59:27 am »
I'm making an early pyro claim here :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #2198 on: November 1, 2018, 10:59:42 am »
Absolutely, as he should. In fact he should be sacked without having a job ever again. A white man playing an Indian mans voice which isn't even accurate. How bloody ridiculous and typical western nonsense

This is one of the most absurd things I've ever read. I just wrote a long post about this setting out why the comment is so ridiculous but it's not worth fanning the flames of this debate. The portrayal of ethnic minority characters by white actors is a difficult subject and one that as a white westerner it's difficult to comment on, in a greater part because of a lack of cultural understanding that makes any strong opinions challenging. So I won't say that your opinions are invalid or unreasonable.

I will however defend Hank Azaria. He is a voice actor who was asked to play a part. Furthermore, he's a talented voice actor. He did not create Apu, he did not write Apu, and he did not ultimately make the decision to cast himself as Apu. Let alone the fact that this started 3 decades ago when this really wasn't considered to be an issue. It's clearly something that makes him uncomfortable now as time and attitudes have changed. Moreover, Azaria won a Primetime Emmy Award in 1998 for his performance as Apu. You might not like that he was lauded for his voice work, but clearly it was respected and admired, and to suggest that because of attitudes now that he should not have undertaken the work at the time is farcical. The voicework is not malicious or intentionally offensive, however poor you may find the impression.

Please consider the tone in which you post. You're relatively new to RAWK but this is a football forum and if you feel so passionately about an issue that your remarks get personal or become sweeping generalisations about "western nonsense" then you should probably find a more suitable or focused place to have this discussion.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2018, 11:14:02 am by JerseyKloppite »

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2199 on: November 1, 2018, 11:46:37 am »

I once had a White British girl tell me my accent was 'attractive' for an Indian. She didn't understand why I just walked off.

Maybe someone should tell her it was to take that stick out of your ass in private

I mean it's not surprising that the BJP and their message of Hindustani pride is so popular when some Indians seem to follow a cookie cutter approach based on American cultural wars. But that is besides the issue.

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

It is clear as day now that the only people who can write stories about us will be us, not even Indian Americans or British Indians and we will slowly exert our influence all over the world just as the RSS has made in roads into American universities. There can be no negotiation on this

Jawohl, mein fuhrer

China has just banned Hollywood movies without Chinese actors in them, looking forward to India doing the same.

Yeah let's ban anything without Indians in them.

I'm assuming that means you'll stop watching Liverpool, then?