Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers: An Insight  (Read 176902 times)

Offline disainit

• Anny Roader
Re: Brendan Rodgers: An Insight
« Reply #840 on: May 31, 2012, 11:06:53 am »
Welcome to LFC, Brendan.

Exciting times ahead.

Online Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #841 on: May 31, 2012, 11:10:05 am »
EplIndex article on the Tiki-Taka approch used by Rodgers and how it may adapt to Liverpool, excellent read

http://www.eplindex.com/14987/brendan-rodgers-tactical-approach-liverpool-adapt-tikitaka.html?

Looks like we're good for zones 1-4, and need to look for 3 players to fit into 5-7. Gerrard and Suarez will work, but I dont think the system will suit Carroll and the uneffective Downing.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #842 on: May 31, 2012, 11:10:46 am »
Here's the thing, everyone talking about his wonderful footballing philosophy, it's actually not very far removed from Kennys. I expect a similar season, hitting the post about half as much popping up our points total.

If by 'philosophy' we mean 'nice pass and move', then fine, they're similar. But any deeper than that and I think there are a number of significant and important differences; ultimately, after the initial shock, differences which I think contributed to the doubts about whether Dalglish could turn it around or not. The depth of the defensive line (which then impacts the depth and shape in attack), pressing vs shape, patience on the ball and the 'directness' or not in attack and, perhaps most tellingly, confidence and consistency in 'a plan' rather than the constant tweaking of the system over the second half of the season.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: May 31, 2012, 11:11:09 am »
anyone hear about compensation stall between FSG and Swansea?

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #844 on: May 31, 2012, 11:11:21 am »
Is it possible that we are getting a bit of payback on Sky for giving Motor Mouth a stage to spout his shite ?
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #845 on: May 31, 2012, 11:11:28 am »
Very interesting OP that.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #846 on: May 31, 2012, 11:11:49 am »

Only on Sly Sports News.
Meaningless.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: May 31, 2012, 11:11:57 am »

Sky 'sources' did. Judging by the past few weeks, that can only be Dave Whelan.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Ronnie McCart

• Main Stander
« Reply #848 on: May 31, 2012, 11:12:29 am »
A great interview of Brendan conducted by the legendary Jackie Fullerton  ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18272602

Offline gandalf50

• Kopite
  • Named "Most Naive poster on Rawk" by L666kop
« Reply #849 on: May 31, 2012, 11:16:47 am »
Pros for our new manager:
Student of the game.
Uses 4231 / 433 formations. That hasn`t been completely ripped out of the club in the last 2 years so maybe he has the advantage of not having to start from scratch.
Has watched and learned from a manager working in a high pressure environment ( I won`t say big club!).
If Steve Clarke stays then he has a little bit of a head start in having worked with him before.
He has failed once and come back from it (Reading).
Spanish speaking.
He is the owners choice. This will make the more powerfull players at the club wary about starting a power struggle with him.
At 39 he already has 19 years coaching experience behind him. He cannot be regarded as young in coaching terms.
If the new management structure works he will not have to worry about managing the wage structure. To some extent this will take some of the players power away when asked about their performances.
His methods focus on the process. He will get that right and expect the results to flow from that.

Cons for our new manager:
No big club experience.
All of his coaching experience is in Britain. It would be nice if he had actually managed or coached a team on the continent.
No European pedigree. How will he handle a match every 3 days?
Big players (some who will think they know it all), big egos, varying wages. How will he handle this?
Massive pressure from everyone to succeed ( at Swansea success was promotion and staying up). Although the expectations may have fallen a bit.

There are more. But on balance this man deserves a chance. I don`t think we will go backwards under his leadership. I also think we could click very quickly.

An Irishman managing Liverpool FC. Who would have thought we would see the day!
There really isn't.  I think a lot of us, even our own have started doubting it. It's time to rise up. And take what is rightfully ours. It's a big mountain, but what is the point in achieving something, which everyone can?

Fate has given us a mountain too big. We have to rise. We have to believe.

fowler9_god

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #850 on: May 31, 2012, 11:17:02 am »
duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
#lfc fans dont worry about stories of "stalling" mates, obvious this would happen. for all intensive purposes #rodgers is the new manager.

also

duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
re #lfc sporty director role. F.S.G had only 2 external #contenders (L.V.G & txiki) #fact and i'm told they will not abandon that structure.

I've always wondered what an 'intensive purpose' is. Is it when an intent and a purpose get combined into one giant super purpose?
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #851 on: May 31, 2012, 11:18:17 am »
It's when some fucker on Twitter tries to get creative with the English language. Like Sabu Pundit, but nowhere near as brilliant.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: May 31, 2012, 11:20:07 am »

ON SSN NOW

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: May 31, 2012, 11:20:55 am »
Reading through some of the Tiki Taka handbook article and I think the likes of Reina is suited massively to rodgers style of play.  He loves to get the keepers involved and we all know how involved Reina likes to be.

I do wonder about Gerrard in these tactics.  It talks a lot about how every player has to trust in their team-mates.  I got a distinct impression that Gerrard was not so trusting last season and kept insisting on coming back to help out.

Offline Tarantino Red

• Legacy Fan
  • A$AP
« Reply #854 on: May 31, 2012, 11:21:00 am »
Always trust our Duncan, so it seems we will still have a DOF / Sporting Director sort of role.

Hopefully Txiki.

As Ayre pointed out though, I imagine Rodgers - Segura & *insert name* will be more of a brain trust, rather than separate people going about their jobs. This is why I have faith in FSG taking the time to get it right. We could have a powerful dynasty on our hands.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #855 on: May 31, 2012, 11:21:49 am »
If by 'philosophy' we mean 'nice pass and move', then fine, they're similar. But any deeper than that and I think there are a number of significant and important differences; ultimately, after the initial shock, differences which I think contributed to the doubts about whether Dalglish could turn it around or not. The depth of the defensive line (which then impacts the depth and shape in attack), pressing vs shape, patience on the ball and the 'directness' or not in attack and, perhaps most tellingly, confidence and consistency in 'a plan' rather than the constant tweaking of the system over the second half of the season.

The thing that gives me some more hope with regards to Rodgers than some of the other candidates is his reportedly strong advocacy for true pass and move in his teams. Dalglish did not really deploy pass and move in his last season here IMHO.

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: May 31, 2012, 11:22:09 am »
Putting a man in charge that had been out of football management for 11 years was a much bigger gamble. Don't get me wrong, Rodgers is still a gamble, but so is appointing any new manager. FSG have been clever enough to put in a 3-year contract to test the water and to see genuine improvement, perhaps not complete success. They've lowered their risk, and the worst that can happen, is that we stutter again and then have another go. Personally I think we'll see improvement and then he'll be given a real crack at driving us forward.

No it really wasn't, simply because of the results he had gotten with the side in his first few months. I don't see how you could possibly argue that appointing a 4 time league winning manager was a bigger risk that appointing Rodgers who has never won a single major trophy.

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #857 on: May 31, 2012, 11:22:19 am »
In the 1st page in the very first 2 pics, 1st he's doing a Rafa in the 2nd well he's doing a sha... But obviously we do not want to burden him with that do we??!!!
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: May 31, 2012, 11:23:55 am »
Always trust our Duncan, so it seems we will still have a DOF / Sporting Director sort of role.

Hopefully Txiki.

As Ayre pointed out though, I imagine Rodgers - Segura & *insert name* will be more of a brain trust, rather than separate people going about their jobs. This is why I have faith in FSG taking the time to get it right. We could have a powerful dynasty on our hands.

How would Segura and Borrell take it though if Txiki Beguristain is parachuted from nowhere into the club to be their boss or superior suddenly? Segura especially may not take it too well. On the other hand a higher profile ex-title and CL winning manager like Van Gaal may be more acceptable.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #859 on: May 31, 2012, 11:24:26 am »
Benny Rodgers

Offline Tarantino Red

• Legacy Fan
  • A$AP
« Reply #860 on: May 31, 2012, 11:24:44 am »
In the 1st page in the very first 2 pics, 1st he's doing a Rafa in the 2nd well he's doing a sha... But obviously we do not want to burden him with that do we??!!!

Ha, I was just thinking the same actually.

Many thanks to Maximus for this thread btw, some great stuff.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #861 on: May 31, 2012, 11:25:41 am »
F***ing Sky sports

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: May 31, 2012, 11:26:15 am »
... but I dont think the system will suit Carroll and the uneffective Downing.

God knows how Danny Graham and Nathan Dyer suited his system then.

As for the compo 'stalling'... we have a kit unveiling tomorrow, of course we're 'stalling'.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Brendan Rodgers: An Insight
« Reply #863 on: May 31, 2012, 11:26:58 am »

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #864 on: May 31, 2012, 11:27:41 am »
AND IT'S LIVE !!!!!

AND ITS BOLLOCKS!!!

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: May 31, 2012, 11:29:18 am »
Fucking Sky, i hate them bastards with a passion and its vice versa

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: May 31, 2012, 11:30:21 am »
No it really wasn't, simply because of the results he had gotten with the side in his first few months. I don't see how you could possibly argue that appointing a 4 time league winning manager was a bigger risk that appointing Rodgers who has never won a single major trophy.

I agree with you about the reservations over Rodgers' record since he has not win anything and I remain concerned it is still too early for him at his current level of development, promising though he seems to be.

However I would say that the risk of appointing Dalglish was as great as Dalglish had been out of management for far too long and was not in touch with the demands of being a top level of manager and witht he game as a whole. The temporary improvement came from the feel good factor that always comes for a while when a new manager comes in and the previous manager is removed. Dalglish also wisely did not meddle with the ways of playign that the team was used to and restored their old style that Hodgson had suppressed. He also deployed his players better. But when the new season began, Dalglish now had the chance of employing his own style and using his own methodology and things did not work out so well.

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: May 31, 2012, 11:31:48 am »
Can't believe some of the negativity on here.  I'm genuinely excited by this appointment. Really hope we get back to playing some good pass & move footie, that everybody from the players, the club(owners) and most importantly, the supporters really get behind this guy and this could be the start of a glorious new era for LFC.

Welcome to LFC Brendan, the greatest football club on Earth.

Oh and PS, if that lad of yours is any good, get him out of the Chelsea youths and over to Kirkby asap!
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Offline Tarantino Red

• Legacy Fan
  • A$AP
« Reply #868 on: May 31, 2012, 11:33:18 am »
SKY have been so far off the pace during the whole thing, I'm not surprised in the slightest by this.

BBC have actually done pretty well in their coverage, and I'm not much of a fan of theirs either to be honest.

Offline IAmZlatan

• Anny Roader
  • Honorary Blackbelt
« Reply #869 on: May 31, 2012, 11:36:30 am »
God knows how Danny Graham and Nathan Dyer suited his system then.

As for the compo 'stalling'... we have a kit unveiling tomorrow, of course we're 'stalling'.

What? Danny Graham and Nathan Dyer are nothing like Carroll and Downing. They're about as different types of players as can be.
“I like fireworks too, but I set them off in gardens or kebab stands. I never set fire to my own house.”

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: May 31, 2012, 11:38:16 am »
Fucking Sky, i hate them bastards with a passion and its vice versa

What they don't know, and that's a fair old bit, they make up.  An absolute shower of a channel, their remit seems to be fill the air with half-tidy girls and compliment them with a bunch of insufferable wankers.

Their 'sources' are the same as ours, basically the internet.  They are using the lack of an announcement and the fact that FSG are telling them fuck all as an excuse to make shit up.

I have no doubt Rodgers will be our manager by the weekend.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #871 on: May 31, 2012, 11:41:09 am »
I wish people would say exactly what Sky are saying rather than just slagging them off, as the people who don't have sky have no idea what people are getting angry about.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #872 on: May 31, 2012, 11:41:20 am »
"Goddamn! I gotta tell you, I'm excited to see what you're capable of if VDM is right and all."  8)

Welcome Mr Rodgers. I am pleased to confirm that you have my 100% support and backing, and wish you every success at our great club.

On a side note....WTF is the mirror on about today??? Saying that the fans choice was Maureen??? What on earth??? Haven't met one supporter that has even uttered the man's name!!! Where do they get this shite from???

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #873 on: May 31, 2012, 11:42:17 am »
SKY have been so far off the pace during the whole thing, I'm not surprised in the slightest by this.

BBC have actually done pretty well in their coverage, and I'm not much of a fan of theirs either to be honest.

Skysports understand the square root of nothing.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: May 31, 2012, 11:42:44 am »
I wish people would say exactly what Sky are saying rather than just slagging them off, as the people who don't have sky have no idea what people are getting angry about.

I wish people would read the thread, but there you go.

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: May 31, 2012, 11:44:15 am »
What? Danny Graham and Nathan Dyer are nothing like Carroll and Downing. They're about as different types of players as can be.

Not really. Carroll can be what Graham was for Swansea and 10x better. Downing is also a better player than Dyer, ineffective or not last season. Downing grows a pair of bollocks and he can do what Dyer did a lot better than Dyer.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #876 on: May 31, 2012, 11:47:27 am »
I know it's been posted several times, but this blog should be required reading. 

http://thepathismadebywalking.wordpress.com/tiki-taka-football-handbook/0-complete-handbook/

Long read, but it really breaks down the philosophy held by the likes of Rodgers at Swansea and Pep at Barca.  Be interesting to see how our players fit into this style of play.  It really is all about team work.  No room for individuals, which is why it's even more amazing that it works with superstars like Messi.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: May 31, 2012, 11:52:20 am »
Sky Sports know fuck all. They just need a story.

Their "sources" told us that Rodgers met his chairman on Tuesday for two hours. They planned for next season and the LFC job wasn't mentioned at all. Sky "sources". Really?

They are at the forefront of everything that is wrong with the game. The shite analysis. The desire to drive controvery. The 24 hour reporting on complete bollocks.

"Oh shit we have nothing for our yellow ticker! Liverpool negotiating a payout for Rodgers hmmm. Lets go with them stalling on a payout for the new man. Yeah that will work. The c*nts will lap it up. I wanna see it trending on Twitter within 15 mins. Go!"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #878 on: May 31, 2012, 11:59:24 am »
Sky Sports know fuck all. They just need a story.

Their "sources" told us that Rodgers met his chairman on Tuesday for two hours. They planned for next season and the LFC job wasn't mentioned at all. Sky "sources". Really?

They are at the forefront of everything that is wrong with the game. The shite analysis. The desire to drive controvery. The 24 hour reporting on complete bollocks.

"Oh shit we have nothing for our yellow ticker! Liverpool negotiating a payout for Rodgers hmmm. Lets go with them stalling on a payout for the new man. Yeah that will work. The c*nts will lap it up. I wanna see it trending on Twitter within 15 mins. Go!"

It's not their fault. It's the NOW!! NOW!! NOW!! I WANT IT NOW!! GIVE ME IT NOW!!! fans of today that are the main problem.

Sky just cater to their stupidity.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: May 31, 2012, 12:02:17 pm »
I know it's been posted several times, but this blog should be required reading. 

http://thepathismadebywalking.wordpress.com/tiki-taka-football-handbook/0-complete-handbook/

Long read, but it really breaks down the philosophy held by the likes of Rodgers at Swansea and Pep at Barca.  Be interesting to see how our players fit into this style of play.  It really is all about team work.  No room for individuals, which is why it's even more amazing that it works with superstars like Messi.

Can't open that link for some reason.