Author Topic: Sunderland  (Read 178195 times)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Re: Sunderland
« Reply #320 on: September 25, 2016, 08:32:23 am »
Are they actually that bad tho ? Defoe is decent and will score goals.

However, Moyes always comes across like a defeated negative bloke. He threw the players under the bus today too.

Shouldn't he be shouting at them to mark Benteke at that corner?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: September 25, 2016, 11:36:20 am »
Shouldn't he be shouting at them to mark Benteke at that corner?

Are these kids on the park in an under 12's game or professional footballers at the very top end of the game?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #322 on: September 28, 2016, 01:17:44 am »
He isn't going to last long there is he? Said it for years, but the fact they fail to make a profit on so many players is a damning indictment of their player development policy and recruitment strategy and has been for years. And that Djilobodji transfer blows my mind every time I see it. £8m for a player who only managed 14 games for one of the worst teams in the Bundesliga (Werder Bremen) who should have gone down and only had two years of Ligue 1 experience when Chelsea bought him from Nantes. And of course Lorient were shocked at the amount Sunderland offered for Ndong

David Moyes struggles to identify what is going wrong at Sunderland
Manager calls for players to stand up and be counted as his team, with Jermain Defoe the only fit senior striker, face a familiar relegation battle

David Moyes says he is at a loss to understand what is wrong at Sunderland, who are bottom of the Premier League with one point from six games.

Louise Taylor

Monday 26 September 2016 22.32 BST

Didier Ndong looked utterly bewildered. Sunderland’s French‑speaking Gabon midfielder was receiving instructions about throw-ins from Lee Cattermole and clearly could not comprehend a word the Teessider was saying.

Eventually, Cattermole resorted to mime. Lifting his arms above his head, he pretended to hurl a ball into play and, finally, Ndong appeared to understand. Well, sort of.

That “lost in translation” moment took place during the 3-2 home defeat by Crystal Palace on Saturday and seemed horribly emblematic of the series of chronic disconnects bedevilling David Moyes’s latest club. Bottom of the Premier League with one point from six games, Sunderland can do nothing right at present, with even their manager’s choice of grey matchday tracksuit branded “depressing” in certain quarters.

After recent failures at Manchester United and Real Sociedad, Moyes could be forgiven for pining for the old security of Everton blue but the current mess is hardly of his making.
David Moyes admits lack of summer recruitment could cost Sunderland dear
Read more

At first glance, it appears a mystery why a club who have spent the past nine years walking the supposedly gold-paved Premier League pavements, with average crowds well in excess of 40,000, seem locked in a series of apparently eternal relegation skirmishes, but Sunderland’s most recent accounts explain a lot.

They have failed to post a profit since 2006, recording pre-tax losses totalling £170m over the past nine years. The latest one – registered for the financial year ending summer 2015 – was £25m. Perhaps significantly, the only top-tier clubs to produce worse figures were the subsequently relegated Aston Villa and QPR.

Already Sunderland’s seventh manager in five years is making it crystal clear that the Championship beckons the Wearsiders, too. Moyes’s evident dissatisfaction with the owner Ellis Short’s transfer market parsimony this summer is thinly veiled.

Yet if the inability to attract an established forward to support Jermain Defoe – the team’s sole fully fit senior striker and a player without whom they would surely have been long since sunk – looks beyond mere failure, the American financier has repeatedly bailed out the club.

Indeed, he has poured £160m of his own money into Sunderland, capitalising £100m which dictates that latter sum can be recouped only if he achieves a certain sale price. Not that consortiums are queuing up to buy a concern where the last registered wages/turnover ratio was an extremely unhealthy 76% and Jordan Henderson, Simon Mignolet and Darren Bent are all too rare examples of players being sold for profit in recent years.

Given the unprecedented bounty provided by the latest Premier League broadcast deal, Moyes would argue that July and August were the time to speculate to accumulate. Instead Short allowed Sam Allardyce’s successor to spend £21m net – £13.5m of it on Ndong, an unproven former Lorient midfielder who has become Sunderland’s record signing, and £8m on the so far thoroughly underwhelming former Chelsea defender Papy Djilobodji – an investment well short of that needed to remodel a substandard squad.

After Margaret Byrne’s resignation following her mishandling of the Adam Johnson child abuse case last spring, Moyes is working alongside a new chief executive, Martin Bain, but Short’s disillusionment with signings made by Roberto De Fanti and, to a much lesser extent, Lee Congerton, means the director of football role has been scrapped.

Congerton’s friends hinted that he struggled to cope with the club’s internecine internal politics. Perhaps tellingly, only last week one of his proteges, Danny Philpott, the popular assistant academy manager, was placed on gardening leave after apparently disputing aspects of the youth development strategy.

A series of managers including Paolo Di Canio, Gus Poyet, Dick Advocaat and Allardyce – whose relations with Short had become frosty well before his departure for England – have, at various times, suggested “something’s wrong” at Sunderland and Moyes does not demur. “Yes, there is, there’s something,” he says. “But I’m no closer to identifying it.”

Instead he is concentrating on filling the gaps left by Bain’s failure to re-recruit last season’s star midfield loanee Yann M’Vila from Rubin Kazan and Younès Kaboul’s defection to Watford. A key defender, Kaboul also exerted a powerful, positive influence over his fellow French speakers Lamine Koné and Wahbi Khazri. Outstanding performers last spring, that pair have underachieved under Moyes.

The new manager tried to recalibrate a suspect locker-room chemistry by signing Joe Hart, Jack Wilshere and Ryan Mason in August but all three turned down moves. Interestingly, Moyes is adamant that Sunderland’s geographical position was not to blame.

His existing players were described as “mentally fragile” and “in need of protection” by Allardyce. The Scot is adopting a different strategy. “I’m not necessarily an arm around the shoulder man,” Moyes says. “I want to see players be men, to stand up and take responsibility, be tough.”

Tellingly, the last Sunderland manager with the courage to publicly say something similar was Di Canio. Whether his latest successor will prove the man to finally complete the much vaunted “revolution” promised by the Italian before Sunderland’s dressing room mutinied remains to be seen.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/26/david-moyes-struggles-sunderland-relegation-battle

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #323 on: September 29, 2016, 10:50:16 am »
A bit of a cull going on behind the scenes. The club doctor has resigned and last week the assistant academy director resigned as well.

Wonder when Moyes will bring in the ipads  ;D.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #324 on: October 15, 2016, 06:28:05 pm »
Sunderland are only the second team in top-flight history to fail to win any of their opening eight league games in consecutive seasons (after Bury in 1905-06).

Davey still going for records, I see.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #325 on: October 15, 2016, 06:29:43 pm »
They really, really need what most teams would consider a home banker.

Even then I wouldn't have any confidence in them winning, but they need one.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: October 15, 2016, 06:29:53 pm »
20 points would be an incredible achievement for them, they are absolutely hopeless. They'd be bottom half in the championship.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: October 15, 2016, 06:37:44 pm »
Sunderland are only the second team in top-flight history to fail to win any of their opening eight league games in consecutive seasons (after Bury in 1905-06).

Davey still going for records, I see.
This time next year . . . . .   

The Toon, top 5 of the Premier
The Mackems, bottom 5 of the Championship.

Quote me on it    :wave

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: October 15, 2016, 06:40:34 pm »

I see your dealer is back in stock again Paul ;)

Seriously though, can't see Moyes lasting beyond New Year.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: October 15, 2016, 06:40:38 pm »

playing them is the home banker ;D

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #330 on: October 15, 2016, 06:43:28 pm »

Even then I wouldn't have any confidence in them winning, but they need one.

Newcastle aren't in the prem yet though
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: October 15, 2016, 07:13:20 pm »
Loving what is happening to these. Hopefully Hull and Burnley join them and fuck off out the league.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 07:15:14 pm by killer_heels »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: October 15, 2016, 07:15:56 pm »
Loving what is happening to these. Hopefully Hull and Burnley join them and fuck off out the league.
It's a Brexit thing right? ;D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: October 15, 2016, 07:27:27 pm »
Sunderland, Middlesborough and Hull for me.

These three teams really are the pits.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: October 15, 2016, 07:30:24 pm »
They're toast, I can't see any way they can get out of this hole. Their squad is atrocious, that's not going to just change overnight. Hull and Sunderland should prepare for life in the Championship next season.

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #335 on: October 15, 2016, 07:31:51 pm »

Hope so.  My Sunderland season ticket holding mate was trying to convince me Rafa was finished at a party last Friday.  What a wally.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #336 on: October 15, 2016, 08:03:46 pm »

I work with a fair few dingles. They're sound enough, so I wouldn't mind seeing Burnley stay up. I like Sean Dyche as well.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #337 on: October 15, 2016, 08:08:50 pm »
It's been a long time coming, but this has to be the year they go down. Allardyce pulled off a minor miracle last year and they are heavily reliant on Defoe. They needed a complete rebuild beginning in the summer. Signing the likes of McNair and Love ain't going to get you there. It's part of the same cycle.  Said it before, but perhaps going down is what they'll need to maybe have a long, hard look at their long-term strategy.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: October 15, 2016, 09:01:59 pm »
I work with a fair few dingles. They're sound enough, so I wouldn't mind seeing Burnley stay up. I like Sean Dyche as well.

Its a Brexit thing.

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: October 16, 2016, 12:09:25 am »
Sunderland have been playing with fire for the past 4/5 seasons, this time I just can't see them surviving.

Offline kaiser franz

• Kopite
« Reply #340 on: October 16, 2016, 12:31:38 am »
They are ultimate survivors,Moyes gonna get fired probably in 2 weeks when they lose to arsenal,big sam comeback and then voila,sunderland are back,hull,burnley and boro screwed.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: October 16, 2016, 12:59:09 am »
?hows our pal borini doing there

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #342 on: October 16, 2016, 03:04:06 am »
Great workrate, not much quality, negligible goal threat

Got a pretty bad injury a few weeks ago, isn't back til December iirc

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: October 16, 2016, 03:07:15 am »

Out injured for a couple more months, has been out since before the first international break of the season I believe
You'll Never Walk Alone

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: October 16, 2016, 03:07:15 am »
Great workrate, not much quality, negligible goal threat

Got a pretty bad injury a few weeks ago, isn't back til December iirc

Poor guy - gets injured alot

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: October 16, 2016, 04:32:04 am »
Not just Borini , Sunderland have 7-8 players out injured so far this season and most of them muscle injuries as well.

Weren't there reports of Moyes training methods causing injuries when he was at United (or Everton).About how there are more time doing  laps around the training ground than work with the ball .

Can't see him surviving much longer at this rate .

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: October 22, 2016, 07:41:14 pm »
Hey, Dickheads, how's your fabulous new Manager doing?     :wave.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #347 on: October 22, 2016, 07:45:30 pm »
Hopefully no coming back for them this season. Worst side in the league by a long stretch and will be lucky to get to 10pts at this rate.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: October 22, 2016, 07:58:00 pm »
Their worst start to a Premier League season and the worst Premier League start this century. Moyes is still breaking records.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: October 22, 2016, 08:00:02 pm »
Their worst start to a Premier League season and the worst Premier League start this century. Moyes is still breaking records.

winning without winning strikes again!

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: October 22, 2016, 11:29:57 pm »
Not just Borini , Sunderland have 7-8 players out injured so far this season and most of them muscle injuries as well.

Weren't there reports of Moyes training methods causing injuries when he was at United (or Everton).About how there are more time doing  laps around the training ground than work with the ball .

Can't see him surviving much longer at this rate .

They were injured before Moyes arrived tbf. It's probably best for Sunderland to go down so they can start from scratch again. Move on the deadwood and find a new direction. Buying shite every year to just about survive is just Villa all over. If Defoe left, they would finish 20th. BorinI has flopped massively for the price. What a waste of money he was.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #351 on: October 22, 2016, 11:31:29 pm »
How long till they bring back the fat bastard?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #352 on: October 22, 2016, 11:44:34 pm »
Moyes is such a desperate nob

He must've looked at a replay after. He must've

Saw it was onside then just carried on in the interview saying offside to get through it for the chairman to hear

Haha. You're on borrowed time golum.
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Online thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #353 on: October 22, 2016, 11:50:36 pm »
These are so bad that even Big Fat Sam will not be willing to takeover... the whiff of death is strong.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: October 23, 2016, 01:31:48 am »
these are on for beating Derby worst season in the Prem.
choose Life.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: October 23, 2016, 02:00:55 am »
Finally the turd will be flushed down the toilet this year.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: October 23, 2016, 02:04:05 am »
Hey, Dickheads, how's your fabulous new Manager doing?     :wave.

any idea if watmore is a geordie? there's got to be a chance he jumps ship like colback did, and i know which north east club's manager i'd want to play for if i was a manager. he needs to leave sunderland as soon as he can

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: October 23, 2016, 03:59:42 am »
Are we playing them sometime soon? Think it might be best to play them before they sack Moyes rather than after given the state they're in.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #358 on: October 23, 2016, 04:05:55 am »
Are we playing them sometime soon? Think it might be best to play them before they sack Moyes rather than after given the state they're in.

26th November. Moyes will surely be gone by then.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #359 on: October 23, 2016, 07:09:44 am »
It's not Moyes but the dreadful squad Sunderland have, & it could be too late by the time Moyes is sacked, they've been like Villa in the brink  for a few seasons but it catches up with you, & like Villa i can't see them coming back up anytime soon as that squad is dreadful.
#Sausages